HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Impact - 2012 MLS Entry Season Thread 11.0 ‎

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Captain Saku

vCash: 500
The MLS superdraft is useless anyway they seriously need to get rid of it. This is soccer here not remotely close to any north american sport.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Rumcajs

Surprised it happened but at the same time Saputo is a fan. He wants to make this team as good as any european team. Thus, he fired a MLS calibre coach and is pursuing Seria A level talent and perhaps coaching staff.

Great move. I dont want to be some run of the mill franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
The MLS superdraft is useless anyway they seriously need to get rid of it. This is soccer here not remotely close to any north american sport.
It most certainly has a purpose. It devies up the college talent. How else would you figure that out? Flash the cash? It is there for a reason.

Also on another note (too lazy to paste in another guys quote..)Wenger was a great better choice over Mattocks. Sure mattocks is better but he is way more likely to leave the organization than Wenger.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure if we can make a hockey comparison, but while it's crucial to have complete players...is sometimes not important to have a 1-way player that could play in your top 6 instead of a tremendous 3rd line centerman?

And, can we make the same comparison than hockey as far as drafting is concerned? Isn't it better to pick in the 1st round a real talent so that you might find a complete player in later rounds? And it's often more complicated to pick a pure talent in those later rounds?
The thing is, unlike hockey, you aren't going to find your stars in the draft, because almost all high end talent that isn't American isn't coming out of the NCAA system and unlike hockey where talent pools are limited and so it's easy to keep track of every elite prospect in the world, the MLS draft is near-useless for non-NCAA talent. I really can't take the MLS draft seriously.

I mean look at Felipe, he's more talent than most drafted players and was found from smart scouting.

Wenger is actually the perfect type of player to find with a top pick in the draft, he fills an immediate role and isn't like to get a huge offer to bolt to Europe right away. You aren't going to draft an Alex Galchenyuk in the MLS SuperDraft.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:35 PM
justsomeguy

Coaches with strongly held philosophical beliefs not what the impact is looking for?
http://the11.ca/2012/11/04/five-year...-organization/

Old
11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The thing is, unlike hockey, you aren't going to find your stars in the draft, because almost all high end talent that isn't American isn't coming out of the NCAA system and unlike hockey where talent pools are limited and so it's easy to keep track of every elite prospect in the world, the MLS draft is near-useless for non-NCAA talent. I really can't take the MLS draft seriously.

I mean look at Felipe, he's more talent than most drafted players and was found from smart scouting.

Wenger is actually the perfect type of player to find with a top pick in the draft, he fills an immediate role and isn't like to get a huge offer to bolt to Europe right away. You aren't going to draft an Alex Galchenyuk in the MLS SuperDraft.
Thanks. Great to hear from the experts around here.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:12 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

You can still find decent players in the super draft..

Old
11-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Padrino86

The Impact academy will also be a much better way of recruiting new and young players rather than the superdraft. The academy Saputo set up is based on european clubs and is probably the best youth academy organization out of all of the MLS teams. You can still find decent players in the superdraft but there's very few of them.. and the draft itself seems more like a publicity stunt from MLS more than anything. Sports in N. america are all associated with drafts, so that might be why. But the truth is the draft in MLS is extremely weak compared to other sports.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
The Impact academy will also be a much better way of recruiting new and young players rather than the superdraft. The academy Saputo set up is based on european clubs and is probably the best youth academy organization out of all of the MLS teams. You can still find decent players in the superdraft but there's very few of them.. and the draft itself seems more like a publicity stunt from MLS more than anything. Sports in N. america are all associated with drafts, so that might be why. But the truth is the draft in MLS is extremely weak compared to other sports.
It would take many years to truly see the fruit of a proper academy. Right now the Impact academy is no better than the TFC one. But there's time to change that.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
You can still find decent players in the super draft..
I might have been too harsh on it, the reality is it's good for soccer development in America (and Canada to a lesser extent) in ensuring NCAA soccer players stay connected to MLS, not to mention even though you might not find much elite talent in the NCAA system, you will find good players who are likely to be at the right level for MLS. Plus North Americans who go through NCAA are likely to be the ones more willing to stay in MLS.

I mean you look at guys on the impact who came through the draft like Wenger and Valentin who can be important. It's just that it's not like hockey where the best way to get a superstar is drafting one. Tanking in MLS is essentially useless. Scouting and player development from a young age are the real difference makers.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Padrino86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
It would take many years to truly see the fruit of a proper academy. Right now the Impact academy is no better than the TFC one. But there's time to change that.
I meant in the way it is structured and built, of course it hasn't produced much yet, but I have no doubt it will come.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:02 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
I might have been too harsh on it, the reality is it's good for soccer development in America (and Canada to a lesser extent) in ensuring NCAA soccer players stay connected to MLS, not to mention even though you might not find much elite talent in the NCAA system, you will find good players who are likely to be at the right level for MLS. Plus North Americans who go through NCAA are likely to be the ones more willing to stay in MLS.

I mean you look at guys on the impact who came through the draft like Wenger and Valentin who can be important. It's just that it's not like hockey where the best way to get a superstar is drafting one. Tanking in MLS is essentially useless. Scouting and player development from a young age are the real difference makers.
I agree with everything you say, it produces solid players for the league.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Benzaza

hey peeps :-)

Busy weekend on Mount Royal Soccer :-)

Jesse Marsch steps down as head coach of the Impact

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2012...mls/in/3359637

Players reacting to club parting ways with Jesse Marsch

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2012...h-jesse-marsch

AN AMICABLE SEPARATION THAT PROBABLY WAS NOT
http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2012...ired-part-ways

Old
11-04-2012, 03:27 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/...s-houston-lead

What a strike by Will Bruin

Old
11-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Bud2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
That was Moffat, but yeah what a strike! I saw it live and was like

Old
11-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Captain Saku

anyone else thinks it doesn't give the MLS a serious look when, in the playoffs, teams play on a football field with football limits marks are still shown on the pitch? The Seattle game was the worst, ugly ugly pitch!

Old
11-04-2012, 05:32 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
That was Moffat, but yeah what a strike! I saw it live and was like
No idea why I said Will Bruin

Old
11-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

hey guys, i think its a no brainer but i ll ask anyways, is any of the 2 friendlies against bologna and fiorentina will be televised?

it would be sweet.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
hey guys, i think its a no brainer but i ll ask anyways, is any of the 2 friendlies against bologna and fiorentina will be televised?

it would be sweet.
No clue. Pretty sure an Italian stream will be available though at least

Old
11-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
No clue. Pretty sure an Italian stream will be available though at least
they won't be shown on TVA or RDS. No clue about italian TV though.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Quote:

Quote:
No idea why I said Will Bruin
Well he did score a nice goal later....and guess what? He was an MLS draft pick last year and led Houston in goals this year (and woulda led MTL)...not to mention 3 so far in MLS playoffs.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Padrino86

RAI TV maybe if we're lucky.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Well he did score a nice goal later....and guess what? He was an MLS draft pick last year and led Houston in goals this year (and woulda led MTL)...not to mention 3 so far in MLS playoffs.
To bad we couldn't grab him.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
To bad we couldn't grab him.
Bruin got drafted before we got in the MLS.. But Jesse should of have traded Ching for Bruin!

Watch us get a Eurocoach who doesn't give two ***** about the superdraft (Like Aaron Winter in Toronto) and have that pick we got for Ching wasted

Old
11-05-2012, 12:34 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaza View Post
hey peeps :-)

Busy weekend on Mount Royal Soccer :-)

Jesse Marsch steps down as head coach of the Impact

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2012...mls/in/3359637

Players reacting to club parting ways with Jesse Marsch

http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2012...h-jesse-marsch

AN AMICABLE SEPARATION THAT PROBABLY WAS NOT
http://www.mountroyalsoccer.com/2012...ired-part-ways
Nice! Anyone else really like Camara's accent?

Old
11-05-2012, 12:58 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Bruin got drafted before we got in the MLS.. But Jesse should of have traded Ching for Bruin!

Watch us get a Eurocoach who doesn't give two ***** about the superdraft (Like Aaron Winter in Toronto) and have that pick we got for Ching wasted
He failed miserably there...

Hopefully we get a coach who will bring in more euro or South American talent, they're the types that really dominate.

Closed Thread