HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Ottawa Guy

vCash: 500
Like most teams this time of the year you can expect changes with the Raiders over the next 30 days, Dec 1st cutdown is looming, teams have to get down to 25 cards (used and unused), right now it looks like they have 25 signed players (2 goalies, 9 D and 14 F), most teams get down to 22 or 23 so they can still make a trade or two before Jan 10th. Most teams go to 2G, 7D and 13 or 14 F) One of the Raider D is Jesse Ferras who is playing for Queens U so he will probably be moved off the active roster thus you can expect one other D to move and maybe one F. All the teams are looking to do the same via trade or release or some becoming affiliates and sign Jr B cards. It is a difficult time of the season for players.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
Nepean does'nt have 12 forwards healthy enough to play. Subtract Hedges,Norris, Yarwood & Herlihey from the roster, you have to play AP's or move some d up. Milito & Debrincat have been moved up. The problem started when the 3 american forwards decided to go home. Getting Nasca helped, but loseing Hedges & Norris right now will require some strange lineup cards from PG. When they come back, Debrincat will move back to PP QB, top 4 d pairing in 5on5.IMO.
From what I have seen Debrincat is certainly not a top 4 D, he is good defensively but is not good in his own end and even in the offensive zone he has lots of turnovers. Diaz and Llorca are there only top 4 D, and they are both more like 4's. Perhaps Nepean can trade some of their extra D to Cumberland who are in dire need. Gloucester also seems to be week on the back end

Old
11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
There were not 3 American forwards who wanted to go home. There was 1. : Sokol.

The problem PG has is he has too many players (especially on D) not playing enough, meanwhile having little to no depth up front.

The new guy he brought in, Sharples, just isn't very good and they rely too much on Diaz and Llorca who aren't a shut down pair.
Gadoury, Savard & Sokol, all forwards who made the team and then asked to be released, all 3 are americans, I was told.
There are no forwards not playing.
As far as no depth up front, you must mean in numbers, therefore we agree. Hodgson,Watt, Williams, O'Dea, Herlihey, all made huge contributions in the 23 game playoff/Fred Page run. Add Nasca & Yarwood and the forwards are not a problem.

I said it in the pre-season chat, You can't replace Johnston & Hutton, Guys like that are just not available but I think we are being a little harsh on our defense. Llorica is a all around all star defensemen in this league. Debrincat ain't perfect but I think he is leading all D in points. Diaz has stopped taking penalties and has a above average shot, physically strong. Milito and Vered are very good 4-5 guys + Beauvais. I would take are defense over 2/3rds of the teams in the league.
I know we did'nt look great against Cornwall last night but that's one game, and Cornwall seems to own us right now anyway. Of course they could'nt beat us when it mattered in April.

Which raises a question I had. Who is the best defensemen in the league today? Not the best potential.. the guy you want leading you into the Fred Page cup if it started tomorrow. I was thinking Watson in Kanata, not a good game for anyone on Kanata when they were here in Nepean on Sunday, but besides that, I loved him in the Fred Page last year, and he has big numbers this year, what do you guys think?

Old
11-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
Gadoury, Savard & Sokol, all forwards who made the team and then asked to be released, all 3 are americans, I was told.
There are no forwards not playing.
As far as no depth up front, you must mean in numbers, therefore we agree. Hodgson,Watt, Williams, O'Dea, Herlihey, all made huge contributions in the 23 game playoff/Fred Page run. Add Nasca & Yarwood and the forwards are not a problem.

I said it in the pre-season chat, You can't replace Johnston & Hutton, Guys like that are just not available but I think we are being a little harsh on our defense. Llorica is a all around all star defensemen in this league. Debrincat ain't perfect but I think he is leading all D in points. Diaz has stopped taking penalties and has a above average shot, physically strong. Milito and Vered are very good 4-5 guys + Beauvais. I would take are defense over 2/3rds of the teams in the league.
I know we did'nt look great against Cornwall last night but that's one game, and Cornwall seems to own us right now anyway. Of course they could'nt beat us when it mattered in April.

Which raises a question I had. Who is the best defensemen in the league today? Not the best potential.. the guy you want leading you into the Fred Page cup if it started tomorrow. I was thinking Watson in Kanata, not a good game for anyone on Kanata when they were here in Nepean on Sunday, but besides that, I loved him in the Fred Page last year, and he has big numbers this year, what do you guys think?
I like Watson as well, but I would choose weidauer

Old
11-04-2012, 02:21 PM
newfan

Seatter

Hey CP fans.....I see Brandon Seatter is inactive on the roster....is he hurt?

Old
11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Hey CP fans.....I see Brandon Seatter is inactive on the roster....is he hurt?
I heard he asked for a trade a month ago.

Last edited by ottawafan66: 11-04-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
BadgerKnight

Canada East Ex Game

D. Hedges scored the winning goal in an exhibition game as Canada East defeated Russia, 4-2. B. Byron scored the opening goal while M. Quince assisted on both goals.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php.../ss_id/170547/

Old
11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
overtheboards

Lots of fights , misconducts and both Goulet and Favreau took penalties today.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:09 AM
KL14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Like most teams this time of the year you can expect changes with the Raiders over the next 30 days, Dec 1st cutdown is looming, teams have to get down to 25 cards (used and unused), right now it looks like they have 25 signed players (2 goalies, 9 D and 14 F), most teams get down to 22 or 23 so they can still make a trade or two before Jan 10th. Most teams go to 2G, 7D and 13 or 14 F) One of the Raider D is Jesse Ferras who is playing for Queens U so he will probably be moved off the active roster thus you can expect one other D to move and maybe one F. All the teams are looking to do the same via trade or release or some becoming affiliates and sign Jr B cards. It is a difficult time of the season for players.

Does the new rule apply to affiliates where an AP can only play 10 games in total for the higher level team ?

Old
11-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheboards View Post
Lots of fights , misconducts and both Goulet and Favreau took penalties today.

Lots of stupidity in the game. Watt and Debrincat (second fight misconduct) with a half minute left to play isn't going to help with C.P. in on Wednesday but emotions boiled over for sure.

I don't blame PG for his penalty. Ridiculous officiating. Confusing as a fan and perhaps not the safest environment to play hockey.

I shouldn't be surprised when it comes to the Hawks who keep trying to bring back 70's hockey to the CCHL.

We certainly miss Norris and Hedges for the PP - where we traditionally would make the other teams pay when they get out of control. Won't be the same in our next meeting I am sure.

Still a good rallying point for the team perhaps.

GO RAIDERS GO!

Old
11-05-2012, 10:31 AM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbers View Post
Lots of stupidity in the game. Watt and Debrincat (second fight misconduct) with a half minute left to play isn't going to help with C.P. in on Wednesday but emotions boiled over for sure.

I don't blame PG for his penalty. Ridiculous officiating. Confusing as a fan and perhaps not the safest environment to play hockey.

I shouldn't be surprised when it comes to the Hawks who keep trying to bring back 70's hockey to the CCHL.

We certainly miss Norris and Hedges for the PP - where we traditionally would make the other teams pay when they get out of control. Won't be the same in our next meeting I am sure.

GO RAIDERS GO!
I know that from time to time every team in the league has this type of game, but it is no coincidence that it most often comes at the hands of the Hawkesbury Hawks.

Not sure what it is going to take for the league to step in and make a statement towards the Hawks. As a league you can't promote the safety of your members and allow a team like the Hawks to have the freedom to treat it as if we are playing Senior hockey in Northern Quebec in the 1970's! I myself, love rough hard hitting hockey and mix in a fight when there needs to be one, but the Hawks take things to a whole new level nearly every game.

Everyone knows where to lay the blame! Directly in the hands of the Head Coach. He's bush league at best, and sadly, dangerous at worst. For any parent wanting their child to go on and get an scholarship through the NCAA, I wouldn't let my child any where near this team while he stands at the helm. Most often it's garbage hockey to watch, even when they win!

It is also sad, as the team has/had some very good players the past few years. Not hard to see why they are struggling this year ....250 more penalty minutes than the next closest team, and it's by design!

Would love the league to step in and put an end to it!

Old
11-05-2012, 10:42 AM
HockeyFan67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCritic View Post

Everyone knows where to lay the blame! Directly in the hands of the Head Coach. He's bush league at best, and sadly, dangerous at worst. For any parent wanting their child to go on and get an scholarship through the NCAA, I wouldn't let my child any where near this team while he stands at the helm. Most often it's garbage hockey to watch, even when they win!

It is also sad, as the team has/had some very good players the past few years. Not hard to see why they are struggling this year ....250 more penalty minutes than the next closest team, and it's by design!

Would love the league to step in and put an end to it!
Great post Zebra..and I totally agree 100%

Old
11-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:

GO RAIDERS GO!
I seen the 2nd and 3rd period yesterday and certainly did not see it as a "nasty" game other than in the last minute, the incident with 30 seconds left was started when a Raider slashed the Hawk goalie. I actually found the Hawks more in control than normal through most of the game, they did play a hard checking game but that probably is the way to play against the Raiders in order to be successful, especially when they are missing Hedges and Norris on the PP. I did think that the refs let a little too much clutch and grab happen which benefited the Hawks. Guerrero also was very solid in net.

Raiders had another new defense in the line-up but based upon what I seen he is another 5/6/7 guy and is not going to be a difference maker they are probably looking for.

The Raiders are fine offensively (when all are able to play) and in net, just need to solidify the back end. Last year they picked up Hutton from Kemptville, not sure there is anyone like that available on one of the teams near the bottom of the standings this season.....they may need to look outside the league to fill the void.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:08 AM
gusfring

Quote:

GO RAIDERS GO!
The PG penalty was ridiculous. He was in the wrong. The call the ref made resulted in neither team being shorthanded.

The problem with "looking outside the league" is that there is no team outside the league willing to give up a top D for nothing - and the money is not there this year to do these types of deals.

They have a good enough D core to win this league - not sure why PG insists on bringing more fringe players in. If they are available, they aren't very good or an upgrade over what they have.

Last edited by gusfring: 11-05-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
oldnucks

anyone there for the grads/73s game? how is kemptville consistantly playing this bad?

Old
11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Ottawa Guy

Anyone know which players from league are attending prospects game this weekend in Yarmouth?

Last edited by Ottawa Guy: 11-05-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 06:55 PM
overtheboards

East getting pounded ,0-6 on the PP

Old
11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Kings87

Quote:
I seen the 2nd and 3rd period yesterday and certainly did not see it as a "nasty" game other than in the last minute, the incident with 30 seconds left was started when a Raider slashed the Hawk goalie. I actually found the Hawks more in control than normal through most of the game, they did play a hard checking game but that probably is the way to play against the Raiders in order to be successful, especially when they are missing Hedges and Norris on the PP. I did think that the refs let a little too much clutch and grab happen which benefited the Hawks. Guerrero also was very solid in net.

Raiders had another new defense in the line-up but based upon what I seen he is another 5/6/7 guy and is not going to be a difference maker they are probably looking for.

The Raiders are fine offensively (when all are able to play) and in net, just need to solidify the back end. Last year they picked up Hutton from Kemptville, not sure there is anyone like that available on one of the teams near the bottom of the standings this season.....they may need to look outside the league to fill the void.
A key point in yesterday's game was the Hawks killing off a 2-man disadvantage in the first 5 minutes. With Hedges and Norris in the lineup, it's likely 1-0 Nepean at that point, and an entirely different game.

I agree that aside from the final minute it was not a "nasty" game. And slashing the goalie tends to bring a reaction from pretty much any team at any level. I've only seen Hawkesbury play twice this season, in wins against Nepean and OJS, and they've played fairly decently in both. However, both games had two or more fights...so yes there is a common thread here. If the Hawks stick to playing hockey, they can be a playoff team IMO.

BTW, is Holden Anderson the coach's son?

Old
11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
The PG penalty was ridiculous. He was in the wrong. The call the ref made resulted in neither team being shorthanded.

The problem with "looking outside the league" is that there is no team outside the league willing to give up a top D for nothing - and the money is not there this year to do these types of deals.

They have a good enough D core to win this league - not sure why PG insists on bringing more fringe players in. If they are available, they aren't very good or an upgrade over what they have.
I agree ....needs to be a real stud. An impact player.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheboards View Post
East getting pounded ,0-6 on the PP
Shots 31-11 for USA at the end of the second even though Can E. has had six PP opportunities! Canada East still down by 6.

St. Mike's 4 forwards just not getting it done. I wonder if the fans in Yarmouth are wondering how come no Quebec or Maritime kids could make the squad? Hockey Canada should not have allowed this to happen. Ridiculous.

A team filled with players from their coaches teams will not compete with Canada West or the USA.

My last comment on this. Hedges and Norris have been thrown into a no win situation.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:04 PM
upinarms

Quote:
Anyone know which players from league are attending prospects game this weekend in Yarmouth?
Maybe all prospects are from the three leagues that have no players on regular team. Does anyone know what the criteria is for Prospects team.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:18 PM
voiceofytown

Quote:
Shots 31-11 for USA at the end of the second even though Can E. has had six PP opportunities! Canada East still down by 6.

St. Mike's 4 forwards just not getting it done. I wonder if the fans in Yarmouth are wondering how come no Quebec or Maritime kids could make the squad? Hockey Canada should not have allowed this to happen. Ridiculous.

A team filled with players from their coaches teams will not compete with Canada West or the USA.

My last comment on this. Hedges and Norris have been thrown into a no win situation.
Fans in Yarmouth are pissed. The MHL is a good league and will once again win the FPC host Truro is built for the RBC. I watched the game tonight amd there should be MHL and Quebec players on the team.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Maybe all prospects are from the three leagues that have no players on regular team. Does anyone know what the criteria is for Prospects team.
Prospects are from all leagues within the CCHL. Top 40 draft eligible kids. No team list out but three participants are from the MHL (Maritimes) and one is from the host Yarmouth team. Format is the same - west versus eastern leagues.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:05 AM
Grabbers

Quote:

Final score of 9-1 for those who care. Conacher got the only Canada East goal and was the player of the game. Both goalies played - Finn allowed four in the first period.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:42 AM
BackBringCam

Quote:

Yeah, chosen to represent Eastern Canada from thousands....geez things are tough all over

Closed Thread