HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2012, 09:16 AM
  #1
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Alright, we might as well start this up now. Enjoy.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 09:37 AM
  #2
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Sweet ! That was quick, we have very accommodating Mods here. My hopes are that if there is no season, the lottery gods smile upon us, and we wind up in order of preference (mine)

1) Mackinnon
2) Seth Jones
3) Barkov

scott99 is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 10:24 AM
  #3
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Alright, we might as well start this up now. Enjoy.
One of my favorite topics. Seth Jones is clearly the best D man in several years but there is a defenseman on Brandon (WHL) who is flying up the charts, Ryan Pulock. Top ten pick for sure.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 10:58 AM
  #4
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 838
vCash: 50
i'd also add ristolainen to that list of d prospects. man, all the top rated d-men in this class are BIG.
also, for another forward prospect, i like what i read about sean monahan.
honestly, it seems you cannot go wrong this year with a top 6 or even top 10 pick.

thedonger is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 11:03 AM
  #5
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i'd also add ristolainen to that list of d prospects. man, all the top rated d-men in this class are BIG.
also, for another forward prospect, i like what i read about sean monahan.
honestly, it seems you cannot go wrong this year with a top 6 or even top 10 pick.
I've been saying that the last 4 years, you can't be disappointed with most of the top 10, and I've been very pleased with Niederreiter, Strome & Reinhart landing in our talent pool. I'd be thrilled with any of the 2013 top 10 landing on the Isle.

scott99 is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 11:42 AM
  #6
YashinWorksHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Spain
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
One of the better generations i have ever seen.. specially with forwards. That will be an interesting night.

YashinWorksHard is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 02:32 PM
  #7
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,472
vCash: 70
So many good players in this draft, if the season is cancelled how many balls do we get in the lottery?

seafoam is online now  
Old
11-04-2012, 02:38 PM
  #8
YashinWorksHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Spain
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
So many good players in this draft, if the season is cancelled how many balls do we get in the lottery?
Two.

YashinWorksHard is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 02:43 PM
  #9
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Two.
oh, the standard amount.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 02:44 PM
  #10
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
This is a very deep draft, top heavy as well.

Out of the players I've seen, depending on how the lottery goes, this is who I'd like to see the Islanders target:

Seth Jones - Has everything you think of when you describe the perfect defenseman. Doesn't have a mean streak, but is capable of big hits and uses his body effectively without putting himself out of position. Everything else is elite - shot, skating, IQ, equally adept offensively and defensively. Lock to go top 2 and MacKinnon must be special to be ranked ahead of Jones at this point.

Curtis Lazar - he's your everything forward. Great two-way player with a nasty shot and leadership skills. He's physical and the type of player you win championships with.

Sean Monahan - Similar to Lazar, but lacks his shot, a bit bigger in size, and less of a standout in terms of physical play. Nevertheless, he's a very smart player, always working hard no matter where the play is and is always in the right position. Good two-way and leadership skills, could be a JT-lite.

Rasmus Ristolainen - He has the right tools - size, skating, shot, good IQ. I've only seen him in international competitions last year, but it seems as his development is right on track this year from all reports.

Ryan Pulock - Huge shot and just a dynamic offensive player from the backend. Defense is good, don't get me wrong, but this kid will make his living as an offensive dynamo. He's a scoring machine and has great hockey sense. Skating is good, not great, but all offensive tools are top notch.

Jonathan Drouin - I haven't had the pleasure of watching him yet, but from all indications he's a riser and an offensive wizard. If the Isles get a chance to select him, I think he would finally give JT a future linemate on the same skill level.

Konk is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 03:56 PM
  #11
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,696
vCash: 500
Drouin is good. He and MacKinnon are A LOT of fun to watch together. Mooseheads have only lost once this year... 16-1...

JKP is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 04:02 PM
  #12
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
This is a very deep draft, top heavy as well.

Out of the players I've seen, depending on how the lottery goes, this is who I'd like to see the Islanders target:

Seth Jones - Has everything you think of when you describe the perfect defenseman. Doesn't have a mean streak, but is capable of big hits and uses his body effectively without putting himself out of position. Everything else is elite - shot, skating, IQ, equally adept offensively and defensively. Lock to go top 2 and MacKinnon must be special to be ranked ahead of Jones at this point.

Curtis Lazar - he's your everything forward. Great two-way player with a nasty shot and leadership skills. He's physical and the type of player you win championships with.

Sean Monahan - Similar to Lazar, but lacks his shot, a bit bigger in size, and less of a standout in terms of physical play. Nevertheless, he's a very smart player, always working hard no matter where the play is and is always in the right position. Good two-way and leadership skills, could be a JT-lite.

Rasmus Ristolainen - He has the right tools - size, skating, shot, good IQ. I've only seen him in international competitions last year, but it seems as his development is right on track this year from all reports.

Ryan Pulock - Huge shot and just a dynamic offensive player from the backend. Defense is good, don't get me wrong, but this kid will make his living as an offensive dynamo. He's a scoring machine and has great hockey sense. Skating is good, not great, but all offensive tools are top notch.

Jonathan Drouin - I haven't had the pleasure of watching him yet, but from all indications he's a riser and an offensive wizard. If the Isles get a chance to select him, I think he would finally give JT a future linemate on the same skill level.
Great list Konk, I'd love for the Isles to get any one of them. I really like the fact that all 3 top tier defenseman are RH shots, something we could use.

Don't forget about Barkov though, he's a mystery because he's a Euro (to us in N.A.) - he's looking like a stud.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM
  #13
YashinWorksHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Spain
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
You've got a lot of versatility with these forwards

Shinkaruk can be an excelent winger for Tavares in the mold of Patrick Kane, Monahan is a Couturier type player, Lindholm is like Backstrom always looking to pass the puck, Erne is a powerful pure sniper, world-class playmakers like Mackinnon or Barkov. Speed Skills with Duclair (now injured), physical presence with Burakovsky and other centers like Domi, Lazar, Rychel.. a lot of impressive options.

YashinWorksHard is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 04:34 PM
  #14
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Great list Konk, I'd love for the Isles to get any one of them. I really like the fact that all 3 top tier defenseman are RH shots, something we could use.

Don't forget about Barkov though, he's a mystery because he's a Euro (to us in N.A.) - he's looking like a stud.
Barkov is averaging a point a game vs men. What a talent. Can't wait to see him play in the World Junior Championships. Certainly wouldn't complain if he winds up being the Isles pick .


Aleksandr Barkov
Forward
Born Sep 2 1995 -- Tampere,
[17 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 194 -- Shoots L

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2011-12 Tappara Tampere SM-liiga 32 7 9 16 4 5
2012-13 Tappara Tampere SM-liiga 20 10 10 20 2 8
Embed Aleksandr Barkov stats! | View as text

scott99 is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
  #15
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
I think the 2 biggest needs in the organization is for a sniper and another premium defenseman - a RH shot being preferable in both cases. It's nice that this draft year seems to be deep in those type of defensemen and a couple of high end snipers.

MacKinnon and Jones are no-brainers. I'm personally very intrigued by Ristolainen the most. I don't think you can pass up Barkov and Monahan if they are there - even though our system looks pretty strong up the middle. If we're picking 5th (our magic number), I'm leaning towards Ristolainen right now. The kid is like an amazing consolation prize if Jones is gone.

I know we drafted like 100 d-men last year, but we only have Mayfield as a premium RD in the system. He's still 2-3 years away, but adding Ristolainen into the system would really set us up. Not all prospects are going to pan out, so I think it's a good idea to hedge your bets since we already have a strong system.

I also like the idea of Shinkaruk because the guy is a proven sniper. I just can't help but think of Jeff Skinner 2.0 with this kid. I prefer a more prototypical power RH RW, but this kid can just bury the biscuit. He just might be too hard to pass up.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 05:36 PM
  #16
YashinWorksHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Spain
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
To me Barkov is a legit #1 and i'm very sure he would had been the top overall pick in the last draft (not elegible only for a few days).

If you Ask me, Mackinnon 1a Barkov 1b, Monahan 2a Lindholm 2b and then Shinkaruk. My top five forwards, i just love them. Monahan and Shinkaruk are very good fits for us, Lindholm not much.

YashinWorksHard is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 05:39 PM
  #17
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
This is a very deep draft, top heavy as well.

Out of the players I've seen, depending on how the lottery goes, this is who I'd like to see the Islanders target:

Seth Jones - Has everything you think of when you describe the perfect defenseman. Doesn't have a mean streak, but is capable of big hits and uses his body effectively without putting himself out of position. Everything else is elite - shot, skating, IQ, equally adept offensively and defensively. Lock to go top 2 and MacKinnon must be special to be ranked ahead of Jones at this point.

Curtis Lazar - he's your everything forward. Great two-way player with a nasty shot and leadership skills. He's physical and the type of player you win championships with.

Sean Monahan - Similar to Lazar, but lacks his shot, a bit bigger in size, and less of a standout in terms of physical play. Nevertheless, he's a very smart player, always working hard no matter where the play is and is always in the right position. Good two-way and leadership skills, could be a JT-lite.

Rasmus Ristolainen - He has the right tools - size, skating, shot, good IQ. I've only seen him in international competitions last year, but it seems as his development is right on track this year from all reports.

Ryan Pulock - Huge shot and just a dynamic offensive player from the backend. Defense is good, don't get me wrong, but this kid will make his living as an offensive dynamo. He's a scoring machine and has great hockey sense. Skating is good, not great, but all offensive tools are top notch.

Jonathan Drouin - I haven't had the pleasure of watching him yet, but from all indications he's a riser and an offensive wizard. If the Isles get a chance to select him, I think he would finally give JT a future linemate on the same skill level.
Excellent list, good info Konk,

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
  #18
Tavaresfan91
Registered User
 
Tavaresfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 500
Pretty sad that with or without a season...we always make this thread in November haha

Tavaresfan91 is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
  #19
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
I think we should also keep in mind that of the season is lost, there will be another lottery like 2005 and the Isles could be drafting anywhere from first to 30th. So that's like talking about MacKinnon, Jones, etc. Vs. Mantha, Kujawinski, Gauthier, Carrier, etc. Seems cruel and unjust, but possible nevertheless so it's probably a good idea to become familiar with the entire first round.

Konk is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
  #20
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I think we should also keep in mind that of the season is lost, there will be another lottery like 2005 and the Isles could be drafting anywhere from first to 30th. So that's like talking about MacKinnon, Jones, etc. Vs. Mantha, Kujawinski, Gauthier, Carrier, etc. Seems cruel and unjust, but possible nevertheless so it's probably a good idea to become familiar with the entire first round.
It's a good point. We could very well be picking 30th and all of this talk is moot - we are the Isles ya know. The fact that we'll have 2 balls in the lottery (if it's the same system from 2005), I think we should be selecting in the top half of the draft and a strong chance of a top-10 pick. Hopefully our luck has changed with the news that our Isles will be staying physically on LI and not moving to Quebec City or Seattle... karma pays us back finally for all the crap we've had to endure.

Mantha seems to be skyrocketing up the charts.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 08:02 PM
  #21
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's a good point. We could very well be picking 30th and all of this talk is moot - we are the Isles ya know. The fact that we'll have 2 balls in the lottery (if it's the same system from 2005), I think we should be selecting in the top half of the draft and a strong chance of a top-10 pick. Hopefully our luck has changed with the news that our Isles will be staying physically on LI and not moving to Quebec City or Seattle... karma pays us back finally for all the crap we've had to endure.

Mantha seems to be skyrocketing up the charts.
Never bet against the Isles bad karma, it is two decades strong!

That said, I would hope so and would love to see them end up with Seth Jones.

Konk is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 09:50 PM
  #22
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
If there was ever a time for the NHL to fix a lottery to have the Isles land another potential stud to take to Brooklyn, I hope it would be Now.

Im a guy who would love a game changing franchise defensman, but Mackinnon next to Tavares would be unreal.



The whole first half of the first round is going to produce top 6 fowards and top 4 dmen and mayby even more....

Besides the Obvious 2 here are some guys I like



INPO


Barkov
Pulock
Monahan
Domi
Shinkurak
Ristolainen-I have a feeling he is going to be a monster
Rychel

We have Poulin and Nilsson as potential #1 starting Goalies for the future, but lets say that there is a lottery and we end up being in the bottom 10 of the first round, if all the top talents and game breakersare gone I would Pick Zach Fucale, if he does not go top 10 or 15 which I expect him too and by some chance happens to be available late I would pick him. Hes going to be a very good Goalie for a very long time with the potential to be great.



also Anton Slepyshev who was passed over this passed draft will not be passed over again, I would love to be the team that uses a late round pick on him.

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 11:01 PM
  #23
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
also Anton Slepyshev who was passed over this passed draft will not be passed over again, I would love to be the team that uses a late round pick on him.
It's the Russian factor rearing it's ugly head.

If a draft lottery is run the same way, then it's a snake like draft - I think. So the #1 overall pick would have the #60 in the 2nd round. Now if the Isles are fortunate to land #1 or #2 overall, we're obviously golden because our lost 2nd rounder is no big loss since we'll have a high 3rd rounder. Now with that 3rd rounder, would the Isles continue tradition and take a chance on someone like Nichushkin who could fall despite being a top-10 talent? Could it be Petrov 2.0 or is it worth the risk? This is assuming Nichushkin does indeed fall.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 11:57 PM
  #24
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's the Russian factor rearing it's ugly head.

If a draft lottery is run the same way, then it's a snake like draft - I think. So the #1 overall pick would have the #60 in the 2nd round. Now if the Isles are fortunate to land #1 or #2 overall, we're obviously golden because our lost 2nd rounder is no big loss since we'll have a high 3rd rounder. Now with that 3rd rounder, would the Isles continue tradition and take a chance on someone like Nichushkin who could fall despite being a top-10 talent? Could it be Petrov 2.0 or is it worth the risk? This is assuming Nichushkin does indeed fall.
I think our system is to the point where we can take those later round chances.


Also I share your thought on Ristolinen

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:52 AM
  #25
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,472
vCash: 70
It's not that I don't believe in Poulin or Nilsson but having Fucale would round out our stable of goaltending prospects very nicely.

seafoam is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.