Notices

General OT Thread #23: It's Not Even Fehr

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 02:47 PM
ewoksonhoth
Most People are DJ's

vCash: 500
Almost got in a fight at a bar last night because a kid wearing a North Stars flat brim didn't know who Modano, Mcrea, Ciccarelli, Bellows, or Broten were and claimed he was a huge North Stars fan. Should have known, it still had the sticker on it.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoksonhoth View Post
Almost got in a fight at a bar last night because a kid wearing a North Stars flat brim didn't know who Modano, Mcrea, Ciccarelli, Bellows, or Broten were and claimed he was a huge North Stars fan. Should have known, it still had the sticker on it.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Secord That kid sucks.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
11-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
I hate when youngsters don't bend their hats after they buy them. It just looks stupid to me.

#gettingold

Old
11-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I hate when youngsters don't bend their hats after they buy them. It just looks stupid to me.

#gettingold
Flat brim hats look terrible with a bend... that whole style of hat needs to die off IMO.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Does anyone have recommendations for skating lessons this winter?

I'd prefer to stay in the SE metro area (St paul, Eagan, IGH, etc). I'm *OK* now, but I can't skate backwards, my crossovers suck, etc. I'm also really guilty of skating on my ankles.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:16 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post

I'd prefer to stay in the SE metro area (St paul, Eagan, IGH, etc). I'm *OK* now, but I can't skate backwards, my crossovers suck, etc. I'm also really guilty of skating on my ankles.
Watching others sake, is good cause you can see the technique...

Practice often, and a lot... It's really the only way to improve, lessons only go so far.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
MTV3.fi (leading commercial TV station in Finland) has news regarding Granlund's injury (muscle sprain) near the top of their sports section. What caught my eye, however, was the video and especially the uploader.

Small world, huh?

Old
11-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
MTV3.fi (leading commercial TV station in Finland) has news regarding Granlund's injury (muscle sprain) near the top of their sports section. What caught my eye, however, was the video and especially the uploader.

Small world, huh?
Look at all the dislikes, that's so awkward.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:02 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post

Small world, huh?
Finnish media has used Fel's uploaded videos in several occasions. Wild / Aeros scrimmage highligths for example.

Old
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

Looks like Bloomington Ice Garden offers lessons. There are clinics all over the place too. AHA hockey has beginner programs.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:47 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Bringing up the idea of who the Wild could have drafted in this years draft. Why didn't we look at Tim Bozon, Colton Scissons, or maybe even Martin Frk? We could have had a skilled player imo, better than Bussieres. From what I remember, the Bussieres pick came out of no where. I know I don't have all the info with our strategy and those guys' attitudes/personalities, but they seemed like solid guys to get in the 2nd.

Did you guys like that 2nd round pick?

Old
11-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:

I don't think you need to spend money on lessons. Buy a hockey skating dvd, hopefully you already have a camera, and record yourself on an outdoor rink. It's the best way to critique yourself whether your a hockey player, weight lifter, dancer, etc.

I grew up a figure skater till about 3rd grade. Then I didn't skate again until I wanted to go play puck with the boys when I was 20 (24 now). It was weird with hockey skates, but with a season going about three times a week by myself I progressed where when I play puck some guys asked if I played hockey when I was younger (my stick skills are dec because I was a lacrosse player). Really work on being low with those good angles in your knees and not letting those skates bow in. Correct fitting skates are a good sock is key too. Do you cross over's slow.

Old
11-04-2012, 02:36 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
Bringing up the idea of who the Wild could have drafted in this years draft. Why didn't we look at Tim Bozon, Colton Scissons, or maybe even Martin Frk? We could have had a skilled player imo, better than Bussieres. From what I remember, the Bussieres pick came out of no where. I know I don't have all the info with our strategy and those guys' attitudes/personalities, but they seemed like solid guys to get in the 2nd.

Did you guys like that 2nd round pick?
No, I didn't really like it and my opinion hasn't changed much. I'm sure Ralph is a great guy and could turn out to be a good enough player, but I think there could have been better choices at that position. I won't complain though unless Ralph busts and some players taken within 5-10 picks after him become great.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

*****es. I'm back.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I think we should of taken Frk...

I like Bussieres but not in the 2nd round..

Old
11-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Bussie says Frk off.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Vash I really do think lessons are much better than just screwing around, if you're serious about playing.

There's Laura Stamm's book, which is meh. Not helpful for me. DVD's are a little better. I like the Robby Glantz videos, those were helpful.

For me, what really helped was a series of clinics I took, which really helped with crossovers, crossunders, tight turns, and the forward stride. I took more clinics last year where I worked on single-leg stuff and that was very helpful for strength and balance. I could give you more details if you want.

Also, go over to The Rink section and ask around, a lot more people there for this kind of thing.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Thanks for the recommendations, folks.

One other thing I've heard from a lot of people is to buy some nice breezers and practice falling a *LOT*. Any input?

Old
11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 83
No hockey in ze OT thread

Old
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations, folks.

One other thing I've heard from a lot of people is to buy some nice breezers and practice falling a *LOT*. Any input?
Only if its the sliding drills where you skate and get back up right away. Otherwise you are going to look like an idiot.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
But..but.. this isn't ze Lounge.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Only if its the sliding drills where you skate and get back up right away. Otherwise you are going to look like an idiot.
Skating like a giraffe already pretty much makes that inevitable.

Part of me does just want to get out a TON this winter, but that presents a lot of logistical challenges, and I'd really rather not pay for ice at open skates around here. I'd like to just kind of jump-start my lack of skill.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Get a treadmill and put the fake ice sheets on it. Problem solved. Only if you have an extra grand hanging around. If like me, that answer is no.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Skating like a giraffe already pretty much makes that inevitable.

Part of me does just want to get out a TON this winter, but that presents a lot of logistical challenges, and I'd really rather not pay for ice at open skates around here. I'd like to just kind of jump-start my lack of skill.
Get a pair of roller blades and practice with those, I assume Minnesota winter (brr brr) is gentle enough to allow non-snowy roads?

That, or just practice at a nearby lake. I'm planning to finally grab a used pair of skates somewhere and, well, try my best. I'm not even dreaming of playing even amateur/fun hockey this winter. It's been 6 or 7 years since I've last laced up skates and even then only very rarely and although I consider myself a decent skier, it doesn't mean I could actually skate any better than Doug Glatt on his try-out.

Closed Thread