HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Center Pole : who are the futur 4 center!!

View Poll Results: What is your top 4 !
Plekanec 130 79.27%
Deshanais 99 60.37%
Eller 145 88.41%
Gomez 8 4.88%
White 26 15.85%
Nokelainen 2 1.22%
Leblanc 34 20.73%
Bournival 40 24.39%
Galchenyuk 136 82.93%
Dumont 7 4.27%
Vail 10 6.10%
Pribyl 1 0.61%
Cichy 2 1.22%
Nattinen 5 3.05%
Geoffrion 6 3.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
  #126
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't know how many of those things will happen, but I'm sure some will and some won't, because if you roll a die a lot of times you sometimes get the result you want.

However, you only listed possible potential outcomes that would be positive. You didn't lost potential negative outcomes. What if Price, Subban, or Plekanec gets injured for example? What if Cole goes back to being the 20-25 goal scorer he's historically been? What if our PK comes back down to Earth? What if the rest of our division stops being one of the weaker divisions in hockey, with Toronto and Buffalo stepping up?

The 2011-2012 season was the result of a huge number of dice rolls. When you roll the dice a lot of times, luck disappears from the equation. You end up with the expected value. This is a theorem in mathematics known as the central limit theorem. If you flip a coin once, you are lucky or unlucky. If you flip a coin a thousand times, you get what you deserve.

I just don't buy into the luck theory of standings. I think teams end up approximately where they deserve to end up, which is why standings look remarkably similar year after year.

Since I think we are a weak team, I think we need to take some risks to improve.
Sure, if everything goes well for every team except us, then we will finish in the bottom of the league again and by trade deadline you can start making decisions. n any event, we'd get a lottery pick again without making any trades. So you assess things, if it's a strings of unlucky injuries, then panicking to move everybody might not be the best move. If it's because some of the guys you hoped would blossom didn't, and you feel they may not ever, then you can start thinking about whether or not you should do a full cleaning. Whatever it is, you wait to see how things unfold before doing anything.

As for the standings, they stay somewhat similar because not every team can make significant changes after every season. That's why we stayed a POs bubble team under Gainey for so long, and people criticized him of not being able to make key changes in the off season. If your team doesn't change much, then ya, it'll likely end up where it finished. But that depends on why you finished where you did. If it's big injuries, then you can expect improvement. If it's because you're counting on youngsters to lead you but they haven't fully arrived yet, then you can expect improvement at some point as well.

We're at the point where we're on the fence about our youngsters, not really knowing what to expect quite yet with some of them.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:42 PM
  #127
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,895
vCash: 500
Living in fantasy land where no prospect busts and no UFAs come in I think it would be something like:

Patches - Galchenyuk - Collberg <-- Great offense + can hold their own defensively
Eller - Plekanec - Gallagher <-- Shutdown + good offense
Leblanc - DD - Kristo <--Soft matchup line that could eat a third pairing alive
Assortment of Moen, White, Prust, Bournival, etc. that brings physicallity, defense, and hopefully and ace at the draws.

I think moving Eller to Plekanec's wing is the best idea because it creates a clear identity on each line where as if it was Gal - Plek - Eller (switching Eller and DD) the second line wouldn't be as trustworthy in a shutdown situation and the third line wouldn't have the same ability to exploit the opponents depth defensemen.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:48 PM
  #128
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,770
vCash: 500
I like Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller as our top 3, possibly as soon as 13-14.

I'd shift Desharnais to the wing to see how he adapts there. I remember him playing some shifts with Gomez and Gionta a few years back and looking good. He can replace Gionta as our mini top 3 line winger.

Fourth line isnt really a concern...those guys are a dime a dozen. White could do it now. Bournival maybe better in a few years, and Vail maybe best of all in 3-4.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:56 PM
  #129
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Sure, if everything goes well for every team except us, then we will finish in the bottom of the league again and by trade deadline you can start making decisions. n any event, we'd get a lottery pick again without making any trades. So you assess things, if it's a strings of unlucky injuries, then panicking to move everybody might not be the best move. If it's because some of the guys you hoped would blossom didn't, and you feel they may not ever, then you can start thinking about whether or not you should do a full cleaning. Whatever it is, you wait to see how things unfold before doing anything.

As for the standings, they stay somewhat similar because not every team can make significant changes after every season. That's why we stayed a POs bubble team under Gainey for so long, and people criticized him of not being able to make key changes in the off season. If your team doesn't change much, then ya, it'll likely end up where it finished. But that depends on why you finished where you did. If it's big injuries, then you can expect improvement. If it's because you're counting on youngsters to lead you but they haven't fully arrived yet, then you can expect improvement at some point as well.

We're at the point where we're on the fence about our youngsters, not really knowing what to expect quite yet with some of them.
I don't buy into the injured-markov theory. In the previous two seasons Markov was injured as well and we finished 8th and 6th.

Any team that's weak is one-injury away from being in the lottery. However, you shouldn't blame the injury for being in the basement. Strong teams can withstand injuries to key players. Philadelphia was 5th but with only ~15 games of Chris Pronger. Pittsburgh was 4th but with only ~20 games of Crosby, et cetera.

You can't blame injuries for being the third worst team in the league, unless you mean to argue that we would have been 8th worst and not 3rd worst if everyone had been healthy, to which I answer, if everyone is healthy, you should be top-4 in the conference. A good team is a team that when losing a key player to injury finishes 5th-8th rather than 1st-4th, like the 2010-2011 Habs. Conversely, a team that's a bubble team "when everyone is healthy" isn't a true bubble team, because the odds of a no-injury miracle season are incredibly small.

Anyway, our roster didn't change much. I predict 11th-15th place in the conference, where the range represents the effects of "luck". There are no significant changes this year, the significant changes will come, at a minimum, when some of our best prospects, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Ellis, Collberg, Kristo, Holland, Gallagher, Pateryn, crack the NHL roster and become effective players. Pick any 3 of those 10 guys to succeed -- which I think are legitimate odds -- and you have a significant change.

For me, how I visualize Habs team building is entirely about maximizing our odds during our cup contention window of 2015-2020. We have good pieces in place for that series of runs. That's great news. We should add some more pieces then.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 07:26 PM
  #130
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't buy into the injured-markov theory. In the previous two seasons Markov was injured as well and we finished 8th and 6th.

Any team that's weak is one-injury away from being in the lottery. However, you shouldn't blame the injury for being in the basement. Strong teams can withstand injuries to key players. Philadelphia was 5th but with only ~15 games of Chris Pronger. Pittsburgh was 4th but with only ~20 games of Crosby, et cetera.

You can't blame injuries for being the third worst team in the league, unless you mean to argue that we would have been 8th worst and not 3rd worst if everyone had been healthy, to which I answer, if everyone is healthy, you should be top-4 in the conference. A good team is a team that when losing a key player to injury finishes 5th-8th rather than 1st-4th, like the 2010-2011 Habs. Conversely, a team that's a bubble team "when everyone is healthy" isn't a true bubble team, because the odds of a no-injury miracle season are incredibly small.

Anyway, our roster didn't change much. I predict 11th-15th place in the conference, where the range represents the effects of "luck". There are no significant changes this year, the significant changes will come, at a minimum, when some of our best prospects, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Ellis, Collberg, Kristo, Holland, Gallagher, Pateryn, crack the NHL roster and become effective players. Pick any 3 of those 10 guys to succeed -- which I think are legitimate odds -- and you have a significant change.

For me, how I visualize Habs team building is entirely about maximizing our odds during our cup contention window of 2015-2020. We have good pieces in place for that series of runs. That's great news. We should add some more pieces then.
Actually I wasn't referring to Markov at all. I was talking about in future years, say PK and Price get injured for most of a season, money would be on us finishing last. That's what I was referring too.

If we still had Cammy and AK, I'd expect us to be a PO team. But management traded those guys away and didn't replace them with better scorers.
However, we also finished last because of the coaching change. RC had absolutely no clue as to how to run this club, none. It was one of the worst display of coaching I've seen in a very long time.
I'm not sold on Therrien, but already he's an improvement. As for the rest of our roster, as I said, there's too many question marks to really be sold on any idea.
This lockout is even more annoying because it should have been an evaluation year for our team.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
  #131
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
The size at center thing is a little overrated imo. Boston is big right? How about their centers? Pleks weighs more than all of them cept for campbell
Boston has the number of large wingers to compensate. I'd rather build up 4 big centers than 8 big wingers. We have enough of a problem with size that we don't need to double our effort.


Last edited by Ginu: 11-04-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:11 PM
  #132
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
And it would make no sense to ALREADY move to wing a guy who could very well end up being the better Center (and who's already better than two of them).

DD at wing could make sense. Eventually. But I think it's unlikely that Plekanec is still here in three years. And Eller being an able #1 or 2 center isn't a absolute lock either. That being so, it's quite possible that DD ends up playing his whole career at C, and in an Habs uniform to boot.

And if we're actually rebuilding, keeping Plekanec doesn't make much sense. Use him to get a pick, and draft a C/W with it.

The kids need veteran inspiration? I'd rather have Gorges and Cole play that role than Plekanec.
With Galchenyuk coming up by next season most likely, I don't think we're in a position to make that determination. And it would be stupid to trade any of those 4 guys next season. So at that point, I'd shift Desharnais to wing. Long term if we have to make a decision, then make a decision. But until then let's be smart about it and keep the size down the middle that we've needed for SO many years.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
  #133
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,541
vCash: 500
It's easy, Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Eller. That's our top 3.

DD is a winger from now on.(HE'LL BE ONE DAY)

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:21 PM
  #134
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure what your point is. There are also no reasons to think that Eller is a better offensive player than he is. If we can keep this Cole-DD-MaxPac line together, it might end up a terrific line that will end up being great...why dismantle it? 'Cause right away we need to put Gally in a no win situation by putting him right away top 2? Point is that in a team, you need to see this as a team situation. DD will be destroyed on the wings and won't be able to do what he does best. If you want to move him to the wings, might as well move him period. Yet, the return will not be as great as it could be for a Pleks for example. So what's the bad in having a center line composed of Pleks-DD-Eller-Gally? Then in 2-3 years we'll see, Gally moves up and who goes or who is moved. But DD line works. Why change it? It also doesn't make any sense. For once we have a chance to have the greatest depth ever, and you wan't to change it. The only good thing we had last year?

And the "local" comment, not going there....been discussed in the past, can't believe we'll have to explain it again and again....
There's a lot wrong in your post-

1) We don't have the size in wingers to put them all with Desharnais. We need to be able to "spread the wealth" so to speak. Keeping both guys with Desharnais affects the size on our other lines. We don't have any other options.

2) Galchenyuk can handle a top two line position if he's insulated with good players. If we want to start him at third line center that's fine.

3) You've just assumed that Desharnais will fail at the wing. If you play him with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk in the long term, how do you know it's going to fail? Have we tried it? That forms the basis of your whole argument to the point that you said you might as well trade him. Based on what evidence?

4) "What's the bad in having a center line composed of Pleks-DD-Eller-Gally?" How about everything? There's no way in hell those 4 guys play center together. Whoever would do that should be fired because none of those 4 guys is a fourth line player and you'd be stunting them by doing so. That isn't an option.

5) "It also doesn't make any sense. For once we have a chance to have the greatest depth ever, and you wan't to change it." Have you lost your marbles? I'm the guy saying DON'T TRADE ANYONE and shift one of them to wing and you're saying I want to get rid of our depth? Does that even make any sense?

Still I say, play Desharnais on the wing, just like you'd play Leblanc on the wing.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:28 PM
  #135
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well I am surprise to see how many people want to get rid of him while he was amongst the only good news we had.
Have you even been reading? We've been discussing shifting DD to the wing. How is that getting rid of him? People get so sensitive regarding him it's embarrassing.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:31 PM
  #136
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Living in fantasy land where no prospect busts and no UFAs come in I think it would be something like:

Patches - Galchenyuk - Collberg <-- Great offense + can hold their own defensively
Eller - Plekanec - Gallagher <-- Shutdown + good offense
Leblanc - DD - Kristo <--Soft matchup line that could eat a third pairing alive
Assortment of Moen, White, Prust, Bournival, etc. that brings physicallity, defense, and hopefully and ace at the draws.

I think moving Eller to Plekanec's wing is the best idea because it creates a clear identity on each line where as if it was Gal - Plek - Eller (switching Eller and DD) the second line wouldn't be as trustworthy in a shutdown situation and the third line wouldn't have the same ability to exploit the opponents depth defensemen.
Eller isn't a scorer, he's a passer. Plekanec is a passer. Small Gallagher's going to score all the goals on our second line? Does that make any sense?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:36 PM
  #137
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Eller isn't a scorer, he's a passer. Plekanec is a passer. Small Gallagher's going to score all the goals on our second line? Does that make any sense?
According to Hockeydb, Eller has 25 goals and 22 assists at the NHL level, 18 goals and 39 assists in the AHL, and 12 goals and 19 assists in the SEL.

He's intermediate between shooter and playmaker I think.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:46 PM
  #138
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Eller isn't a scorer, he's a passer. Plekanec is a passer. Small Gallagher's going to score all the goals on our second line? Does that make any sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
According to Hockeydb, Eller has 25 goals and 22 assists at the NHL level, 18 goals and 39 assists in the AHL, and 12 goals and 19 assists in the SEL.

He's intermediate between shooter and playmaker I think.
Eller's goalscoring ability is underrated because he has never really had anyone to get him the puck. I also think that if he were moved to wing where he wouldn't have quite as many defensive responsibilities he could improve on it even more. Also lets not forget that Plek is good for about 20 goals a year and he has a career high of 29. I think that line could hold its own in all three zones.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 11:07 PM
  #139
adaboost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Shifting Desharnais to wing opens up some really interesting opportunities. I think he could do really well on Eller's wing, actually. The following lineup is pretty balanced (sorry if there are any off-wings):

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Desharnais - Eller - Cole
Bourque - Gomez - Moen
Prust - Noke - White

The lines seem a lot more balanced with Desharnais at wing. Gomez is gone after this year and Galchenyuk eases into the lineup as 3C. Not bad.

adaboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:17 AM
  #140
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montral
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,095
vCash: 500
1. Desharnais
2. Galchenyuk
3. Plekanec
4. Bournival

...
In 2 years.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:01 AM
  #141
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
With Galchenyuk coming up by next season most likely, I don't think we're in a position to make that determination. And it would be stupid to trade any of those 4 guys next season. So at that point, I'd shift Desharnais to wing. Long term if we have to make a decision, then make a decision. But until then let's be smart about it and keep the size down the middle that we've needed for SO many years.
Then why keep Plekanec?
Look, if you use the size argument to toss DD, fine. Just don't keep TP on center.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:07 AM
  #142
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,935
vCash: 709
[QUOTE=Ginu;55530809]There's a lot wrong in your post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
1) We don't have the size in wingers to put them all with Desharnais. We need to be able to "spread the wealth" so to speak. Keeping both guys with Desharnais affects the size on our other lines. We don't have any other options.
Okay so we are discussing the near future here or 2-3 years down the road or what? How about acquiring some size? How about drafting them? You still have Bourque right who was suppose to be that top 6. And while I'm all for size, I'm also all for success. If the team ends up winning with one bigger line and maybe another small one, who cares about the overall size of it. I'd concentrate on success and not size, as of today, 'cause you have to work with what you have....right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
2) Galchenyuk can handle a top two line position if he's insulated with good players. If we want to start him at third line center that's fine.
So what's wrong with my post? DD and Pleks are top 2. Gally starts #3. So that point of yours was suppose to prove how wrong I was and yet you agree with me. 'Cause everybody can't play with Cole and Pacioretty. DD shouldn't play with both of those guys 'cause it affects the size of the team. Gally should be insulated with good players....are you talking about them? And I guess Pleks deserve great linemates...are we talking about them as well? 'Cause if you play DD on the wings...on which wing? Gally? Will that really help him? A guy who never played that position or rarely? With Pleks? A passer to a passer but I'd guess you'd have MaxPac with them...and what Cole with Gally and Gio? Hey maybe...still don't believe in DD on the wings...But I'd suggeset going slow on Gally's development making DD and Pleks for now, ideal on top 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
3) You've just assumed that Desharnais will fail at the wing. If you play him with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk in the long term, how do you know it's going to fail? Have we tried it? That forms the basis of your whole argument to the point that you said you might as well trade him. Based on what evidence?
Geez, and I'm supposed to lack reading comprehension. I did mention that wingers who are that small and work offensively on the wings have an extraordinairy quality whether it's tremendous offensive abilities or being tremendously strong la Martin St-Louis. And everybody is still bigger and taller than DD. People talk about DD being unable to face tougher challenge and failing at defensive work because of it, I fail to see DD winning his battles along the board as well which is always one of our toughest challenge. I also liked to see my distributor at center and my shooters on the wings. Hey, I guess everything can happen. My opinion is that it won't work. Some people didn't see playing Spacek playing on his other side to be that big of a deal and it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
4) "What's the bad in having a center line composed of Pleks-DD-Eller-Gally?" How about everything? There's no way in hell those 4 guys play center together. Whoever would do that should be fired because none of those 4 guys is a fourth line player and you'd be stunting them by doing so. That isn't an option.
The day you have those guys at center, it means you are a very good team. You take Gally slowly at center and show him the way. But hey, no we have to rush people here. I also didn't say that we keep it like that for 10 years but let's pretend I did...Being a great young player has nothing to do with how fast you were chosen at the draft. When Patrice Bergeron or Joe Thornton started their career, they started it on the 4th line. Didn't last long but that how it started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
5) "It also doesn't make any sense. For once we have a chance to have the greatest depth ever, and you wan't to change it." Have you lost your marbles? I'm the guy saying DON'T TRADE ANYONE and shift one of them to wing and you're saying I want to get rid of our depth? Does that even make any sense?
Yes, it does when you realize that the point is "depth at CENTER".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Still I say, play Desharnais on the wing, just like you'd play Leblanc on the wing.
Not sure how that makes sense. Leblanc has more on him to be a winger from his ability to protect the puck to his, I think, ability to rush the net at least more than DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Have you even been reading? We've been discussing shifting DD to the wing. How is that getting rid of him? People get so sensitive regarding him it's embarrassing.
And have you been reading? I said I see nothing wrong in trying him. I just mention that I don't believe it will work. Thing is, people are so sensitive in maybe seeing if Plekanec can be traded that whether it's in this thread or another, I do see people wanting to get rid of DD. Has nothing to do with sensitivity.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
  #143
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I like Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller as our top 3, possibly as soon as 13-14.

I'd shift Desharnais to the wing to see how he adapts there. I remember him playing some shifts with Gomez and Gionta a few years back and looking good. He can replace Gionta as our mini top 3 line winger.

Fourth line isnt really a concern...those guys are a dime a dozen. White could do it now. Bournival maybe better in a few years, and Vail maybe best of all in 3-4.
DD does not score goals. Therefore why do you think he's a good wing candidate? Galla(Thanks for the nickname DA) will take DD spot if DD ends up on wing. The last thing we need is more low scoring wingers.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:17 AM
  #144
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
According to Hockeydb, Eller has 25 goals and 22 assists at the NHL level, 18 goals and 39 assists in the AHL, and 12 goals and 19 assists in the SEL.

He's intermediate between shooter and playmaker I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Eller's goalscoring ability is underrated because he has never really had anyone to get him the puck. I also think that if he were moved to wing where he wouldn't have quite as many defensive responsibilities he could improve on it even more. Also lets not forget that Plek is good for about 20 goals a year and he has a career high of 29. I think that line could hold its own in all three zones.
Eller has shown that he's much better at center than on the wing. You just have to watch the games.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:18 AM
  #145
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Then why keep Plekanec?
Look, if you use the size argument to toss DD, fine. Just don't keep TP on center.
Not every center can be 6'0"+. If you're trying to say that DD is better than Plekanec at center horrible. This is the exact attitude I'm talking about.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:33 AM
  #146
Moneyman2k6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Next year
Plekanec
Desharnais
Eller
White
Desharnais and plekanec are switchable, depends of the wingers. If galchenyuk really impress in the camp and continue to dominate the ohl ill put him at wing at plekys lines

Two years from now
Plekanec
Galchenyuk
Eller
White
Eller and gally Switchable and DD will be at wing.

Moneyman2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
  #147
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Okay so we are discussing the near future here or 2-3 years down the road or what? How about acquiring some size? How about drafting them? You still have Bourque right who was suppose to be that top 6. And while I'm all for size, I'm also all for success. If the team ends up winning with one bigger line and maybe another small one, who cares about the overall size of it. I'd concentrate on success and not size, as of today, 'cause you have to work with what you have....right now.
Well didn't we try what you just suggested? Didn't we finish 15th in the Eastern Conference last year? It's very easy to go on about "how abouts" and "what ifs". You're talking hypothetically. It would be nice but it's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So what's wrong with my post? DD and Pleks are top 2. Gally starts #3. So that point of yours was suppose to prove how wrong I was and yet you agree with me. 'Cause everybody can't play with Cole and Pacioretty. DD shouldn't play with both of those guys 'cause it affects the size of the team. Gally should be insulated with good players....are you talking about them? And I guess Pleks deserve great linemates...are we talking about them as well? 'Cause if you play DD on the wings...on which wing? Gally? Will that really help him? A guy who never played that position or rarely? With Pleks? A passer to a passer but I'd guess you'd have MaxPac with them...and what Cole with Gally and Gio? Hey maybe...still don't believe in DD on the wings...But I'd suggeset going slow on Gally's development making DD and Pleks for now, ideal on top 2.
Umm how about Eller? He is on the team and has size. It's about what's best for the team overall. Eller plays better at center. If we have a lot of centers, we can try our smaller centers on the wing. I'd rather have Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller as our top 3 centers with Desharnais on the wing. He can shift to center if someone gets thrown out of the circle or one of those guys gets injured. It gives us depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Geez, and I'm supposed to lack reading comprehension. I did mention that wingers who are that small and work offensively on the wings have an extraordinairy quality whether it's tremendous offensive abilities or being tremendously strong la Martin St-Louis. And everybody is still bigger and taller than DD. People talk about DD being unable to face tougher challenge and failing at defensive work because of it, I fail to see DD winning his battles along the board as well which is always one of our toughest challenge. I also liked to see my distributor at center and my shooters on the wings. Hey, I guess everything can happen. My opinion is that it won't work. Some people didn't see playing Spacek playing on his other side to be that big of a deal and it was.
One of DD's strengths is winning battles along the boards. He's very smart. He won so many pucks behind the opposition's net last year. Centers have to team up against other team's #1 centers. Do you see DD winning any of those physical battles in front of our net? I don't think so. Poor guy will get creamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The day you have those guys at center, it means you are a very good team. You take Gally slowly at center and show him the way. But hey, no we have to rush people here. I also didn't say that we keep it like that for 10 years but let's pretend I did...Being a great young player has nothing to do with how fast you were chosen at the draft. When Patrice Bergeron or Joe Thornton started their career, they started it on the 4th line. Didn't last long but that how it started.
You can repeat this all you want. There's no chance that those 4 guys will play center for us together on 4 lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yes, it does when you realize that the point is "depth at CENTER".
You can have depth at center by shifting some centers to the wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure how that makes sense. Leblanc has more on him to be a winger from his ability to protect the puck to his, I think, ability to rush the net at least more than DD.
DD can protect the puck too. All I'm saying is try him out. It gives us better depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And have you been reading? I said I see nothing wrong in trying him. I just mention that I don't believe it will work. Thing is, people are so sensitive in maybe seeing if Plekanec can be traded that whether it's in this thread or another, I do see people wanting to get rid of DD. Has nothing to do with sensitivity.
Because we don't need to trade Plekanec. He's the only center we have with experience. I'm not saying get rid of DD either. I'm saying keep him but we need to be flexible. However, you are the one suggesting to trade one of our centers. If we have Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller with Desharnais on the wing, we're solid. Trevor Timmins is doing a great job as it is with the guys we have. If we can draft some big forwards this summer we'll be solid.

Think about this:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Desharnais (two big forwards who can score with Desharnais who's a great passer; Galchenyuk can play wing as well so these two interchanging off the rush would be stellar)
Bozon / Hudon - Plekanec - Collberg (two scorers with our best passing center)
Leblanc - Eller - Gallagher (great two-way line that can score goals)

That doesn't even fit in Kristo, Bournival and Holland. I really want a powerhouse left winger this draft. A Hartnell type would round that group out very nicely but a Shinkaruk will do wonders too.


Last edited by Ginu: 11-05-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
  #148
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,487
vCash: 500
We're screwed (imo) if we trade Plekanec and keep Desharnais...imo. IF we can only keep one of Pleks and Desharnais...it's Pleks for me. Or, else I'd move Desharnais to the wing.

Galchenyuk...6'2...sky is the limit...finally the center we've been waiting for since...decades!! (style: Marian Hossa, Kopitar, Forsberg, Malkin, Toews, etc...).
Plekanec...5'11...cheap/fair contract...iron-man...solid two- way center and never complains even though he doesn't get to play with Cole and Pacioretty...the team comes first for Pleks and not just offensive stats/pts...underrated.
Eller...6'2...I like Eller but I'm still not 100% sold on him (consistency)...then again he never had the chance of playing with a Cole and/or Pacioretty.
Leblanc...6'0-6'1...great for center depth (also a winger)...potential for solid 3rd line center or great for depth as top 6 winger...
White/Bournival/Dumont...I love our 4th line center depth.

Centers in order...:
1) Galchenyuk 2) Plekanec 3 ) Eller and Leblanc 4) White/Bournival/Dumont

----------------------------- ------------------------------
ODD MAN OUT:
Desharnais...5'5 - 5'6....very crafty and fun to watch...but (imo) he might end up very fragile/injury prone in playoffs (5'5 - 5'6 is novice height)...way too small to be our 1st or 2nd line center, but I do love underdog stories (love small players that succeed in the NHL, Theo Fleury, Marty St-Louis, Desharnais, etc).



2013-2014:
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Leblanc/Desharnais as winger?
Cole - Plekanec - Gionta......Gallagher/Leblanc
Bourque - Eller/Leblanc - Moen/Leblanc......Holland
Prust - White - Armstrong/Holland......Bournival/Dumont


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:08 AM
  #149
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
Here's my potential line up in 3 years (post-Gionta/Gomez/Cole), assuming no change in personnel and no draft picks past 2012... so horribly unrealistic, but a fun exercise nonetheless

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (top playmaking center w/two rugged scorers)
Desharnais-Eller-Collberg (creative 2nd line that can hopefully feed a young scorer)
Kristo-Plekanec-Leblanc (hardworking, gritty 3rd line that can shut down and chip in points)
Prust-Bournival-White (toughness, grit, energy, etc.)
Moen

So I guess my answer to the OP's question is: Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanec, Bournival

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:23 AM
  #150
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,721
vCash: 500
Leblanc Plekanec Cole
Pacioretty Galchenyuk Desharnais
Bourque Eller Gionta
Moen White Prust

This is what I want to see by the start of next year of things remain unchanged. It gives the team a nice balance with size around the lineup. I also don't think of lines in terms of 1st-2nd-3rd-4th. So yes, Leblanc is on the first line only in so far as that is the line that I have written first, but I don't see it as a first line. The way these lines are constructed, they can be pretty much matched up against anyone. Think matchups, not your traditional 1st-2nd-3rd-4th line schema.

Ideally, we'd give Galchenyuk's line soft opposition to start out with since he's young, but as he develops, I wouldn't be afraid to throw him out there against tougher opposition. Also, it gives him two excellent wingers, one to set up in Pacioretty and another winger who can set up Galchenyuk in Desharnais. Plekanec is flanked by two good forecheckers. Leblanc isn't the biggest, but he is a tenacious forechecker. Eller gets flanked by Gionta who is a great defensive player and a shooter first. So is Bourque. This gives Eller two passing options, something he hasn't had since he's been with the team. Also, the combo of Eller and Gionta makes them more then good enough to shut down tougher opponents.

This of course is assuming no movement. That is a pretty decent forward group moving forward. Strong down the middle. Also, there is a lot of room for mixing and matching players.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.