HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Having a hard time finding skates that fit.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:59 PM
bazaaa*

vCash: 50
Having a hard time finding skates that fit.

I wear a size 14 shoe, and I originally thought a normal width (in ratio to length). But after trying on skates, it's apparent I have wide feet as well.

I currently have some old Nike skates that are size 12s. My toes are touching the end. They might be a tad bit short, but I don't think this is the issue. They are super tight on the sides through out the the whole foot.

Anyways, I went to a couple sport stores. One had a 13, which was too big. The guy got me to try a 12 on. I think it might be the right size for me. My toe is not quite touching the end, or just barely.

The issues I'm having with is width. Finding 12 EE is not the easiest thing to do.

I tried on the three Bauers, and the Nexus seem like the best fit for me. They still seem a bit snug on the sides, but I'm wondering if heating them, then breaking them in would make them fit right? I haven't skated in 12 years. I don't know what a comfortable skate should fit like, as I don't have many options. The skate seemed to fit decently, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to feel. When I first tried it on, the toe cap seemed a little tight. But then I tried them on again, not tying the bottoms as tight, and it was okay.

My concern is I buy them, they seem like they will be okay, and five minutes on the ice, they are killing my feet. They said they really don't have a return policy for skates. Once you use them on the ice, they're pretty much yours.

So I'm not sure what to do.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Guffaw

vCash: 500
No one offers as many different fit profiles as GRAF. Maybe give them a shot.

I have a very narrow, low volume foot so the G3 in a Narrow fits me better than anything else out there.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Fifth Line Center
Rookie User

Sound like you need a wide pair of Reeboks in a size 12.

I've got a pair in the closet that were too big for my size 13 feet.

Fifth Line Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Make sure the heel/ankle area fits snug and the depth is good, then get them stretched/punched. I have narrow heels and had to go Grafs as they make the narrowest heel pockets in the market. Testing them out I had awful cramping and pain when skating but had them punched out and stretched up front and they have been perfect going on two years now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I wouldn't buy skates unless they felt great the first time I tried them on. Then after I bake them they are even more comfortable. You are going about the search the right way though, keep trying on skates until you find the perfect fit.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:58 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
No one offers as many different fit profiles as GRAF. Maybe give them a shot.

I have a very narrow, low volume foot so the G3 in a Narrow fits me better than anything else out there.
I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Line Center View Post
Sound like you need a wide pair of Reeboks in a size 12.

I've got a pair in the closet that were too big for my size 13 feet.
They had 13 EE Reeboks there, they still seemed a bit tight on the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Make sure the heel/ankle area fits snug and the depth is good, then get them stretched/punched. I have narrow heels and had to go Grafs as they make the narrowest heel pockets in the market. Testing them out I had awful cramping and pain when skating but had them punched out and stretched up front and they have been perfect going on two years now.
Wonder if I get the Nexus' stretched if they will fit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I wouldn't buy skates unless they felt great the first time I tried them on. Then after I bake them they are even more comfortable. You are going about the search the right way though, keep trying on skates until you find the perfect fit.
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking, but I don't see me finding a pair that fits comfortable from the start.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote