HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Keep Burke or not if it was your choice?

View Poll Results: Ye or Na
Yes 155 71.43%
No 62 28.57%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2012, 12:06 AM
  #1001
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Yet another deflection. Whom prior to Sather won the cup? Why won't you answer?
Yet another deflection. Why won't you answer?

I'm not even sure what you're asking anymore.

And I already gave you one name. Gretzky.

You know the others, but you refuse to acknowledge them until I waste time finding names, for some unknown reason.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:06 AM
  #1002
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 5,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I don't really care if you get involved. It's your choice.

Most, in this forum at least, do not use common sense, facts, stats, or the proper use of opinion. That is what I am trying to remedy.

It is a universal rule in forums that you can't just go posting unsubstantiated nonsense. It is expected that posts are supported by something other than self-delusions.

There are rules here.....and you have broke several tonight....calling people trolls and names as well as insulting them. you expect others to post a thesis paper that supports their opinions.

Opinions are opinions and facts are facts.. Facts can be checked. opinions are based on an individuals thoughts and need not be supported by facts.

diceman934 is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:08 AM
  #1003
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
There are rules here.....and you have broke several tonight....calling people trolls and names as well as insulting them. you expect others to post a thesis paper that supports their opinions.

Opinions are opinions and facts are facts.. Facts can be checked. opinions are based on an individuals thoughts and need not be supported by facts.
I didn't insult you. I pointed out people trolling the thread, and people who were lying to me.

Facts are facts. Opinions are personal thoughts supported by facts, and the interpretations of them.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:09 AM
  #1004
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Yet another deflection. Why won't you answer?

I'm not even sure what you're asking anymore.

And I already gave you one name. Gretzky.

You know the others, but you refuse to acknowledge them until I waste time finding names, for some unknown reason.
Gretzky was prior to Sather?

Gatorade* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:12 AM
  #1005
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 5,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I didn't insult you. I pointed out people trolling the thread, and people who were lying to me.

Facts are facts. Opinions are personal thoughts supported by facts, and the interpretations of them.
I have never lied to you, yet you call me a liar......

diceman934 is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:13 AM
  #1006
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I didn't insult you. I pointed out people trolling the thread, and people who were lying to me.

Facts are facts. Opinions are personal thoughts supported by facts, and the interpretations of them.
You have yet to provide a fact. When asked for facts to support blanket statements you respond with requirements and spin. You have also said things which are dead wrong, such as single assists in the KHL and Sather being indirectly the GM of the cup winning Oilers. Your problem is that facts terrorize your spin.

Gatorade* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
  #1007
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Gretzky was prior to Sather?
Yes. That was established pages ago.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
  #1008
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
There are rules here.....and you have broke several tonight....calling people trolls and names as well as insulting them. you expect others to post a thesis paper that supports their opinions.

Opinions are opinions and facts are facts.. Facts can be checked. opinions are based on an individuals thoughts and need not be supported by facts.
The problem is he doesn't play by his own self induced rules he wants others to follow here, he has called me troll roughly 3x tonight, a few other posters as well. He has accused me of saying something that I didn't say, and you are correct he expects people to write thesis type posts when most sensible posters can converse and understand each other without having to crib note posts. This kid is a piece of something, can't take him credible.

Interactif is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:16 AM
  #1009
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
You have yet to provide a fact. When asked for facts to support blanket statements you respond with requirements and spin. You have also said things which are dead wrong, such as single assists in the KHL and Sather being indirectly the GM of the cup winning Oilers. Your problem is that facts terrorize your spin.
I never said either of those.

I said assists are assigned differently in the KHL, not that they only assign single assists.
And that Sather was indirectly part of the Gretzky situation, not indirectly being a GM.

The only one spinning things here is you.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:16 AM
  #1010
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I have never lied to you, yet you call me a liar......
I disagree. I believe you have lied to me, and you have given me no reason to think otherwise.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:18 AM
  #1011
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The problem is he doesn't play by his own self induced rules he wants others to follow here, he has called me troll roughly 3x tonight, a few other posters as well. He has accused me of saying something that I didn't say, and you are correct he expects people to write thesis type posts when most sensible posters can converse and understand each other without having to crib note posts. This kid is a piece of something, can't take him credible.
I didn't accuse you of saying something you didn't say at all. You said it with your own words. I merely re-posted your post.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:20 AM
  #1012
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Yes. That was established pages ago.
You have no clue what you are talking about. Sather was working for the Oilers. The owner asked him about Gretzky in 1977. Sather advised him to buy Gretzky for what ever it took.

This is nuts!

Gatorade* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:22 AM
  #1013
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I never said either of those.

I said assists are assigned differently in the KHL, not that they only assign single assists.
And that Sather was indirectly part of the Gretzky situation, not indirectly being a GM.

The only one spinning things here is you.
You specifically said single assists.

You said Gretzky came before Sather just a few posts back.

Nuts!

Gatorade* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:30 AM
  #1014
F A N
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
No team has ever won solely because of one GM.
Ya. Hockey is a team game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
The GMs you named are so ancient that I don't care to look up the specifics, but they had help from previous GMs, of varying amounts, be it direct or indirect.
Oh you mean GMs who didn't benefit from GMs in the past? In that case, Bill Torrey. Torrey was the GM and first employee of the Islanders and was solely (oh right he had assistants ) responsible for Islanders winning 4 consecutive Cups. Burke also names Torrey as his inspiration.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Lol. He said he doesn't respect GMs who say they have a 5-year plan for the sole purpose of buying themselves 5 years of not having to do anything.
That's the problem. It's just Burke opening up his big mouth again and defending his stubborness. It's well accepted that building a competitive hockey team takes time. When Burke got hired Burke talked about time and patience. Nonis' attempt at defending Burke and their work here has been all about that. If you were responsible for hiring a GM back when JFJ got fired, do you hire a guy with a 5 year plan or a guy who didn't have one? The Leafs were a mess when Burke took over and thinking that Burke can somehow turn the Leafs into a competitive winning team in less years than almost everyone believed is just stupidity. But the reality is that Burke was just speaking out of his ass. He never actually put a timeframe on when his team will become competitive. He only said he doesn't believe in 5 year rebuilds for whatever it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I never said Burke isn't accountable. However, just saying "has he made the playoffs?" is a short-sighted evaluation process.
I don't necessarily disagree with you here but Burke was given 6 years and what appears to have been full autonomy to do his job. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, Burke failed at his job and deserves to be fired and I'm sure Brian Burke will agree with that notion as well. It's life.

But I do think that Burke should be evaluated as a whole with weight given to the direction the team is heading at the end of the contract. But there needs to be results and Burke should not be given a long extension without showing that his blueprint works.

F A N is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:31 AM
  #1015
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I didn't accuse you of saying something you didn't say at all. You said it with your own words. I merely re-posted your post.
Man, I knew you were wacky, but tonight you have even exceeded my low expectations of you. Wow...

Interactif is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:34 AM
  #1016
Leafs For Life*
Nothing
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
K, guys stop attacking each other. Like the one guy has been saying opinions are opinions, facts are facts. And there is a new thread.

Leafs For Life* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:39 AM
  #1017
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 5,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
I disagree. I believe you have lied to me, and you have given me no reason to think otherwise.
You called me a liar and now you are stating that you believe me to lied to you......

You are one of the few posters on here that have removed all doubt!

diceman934 is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:48 AM
  #1018
Leafs For Life*
Nothing
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
You called me a liar and now you are stating that you believe me to lied to you......

You are one of the few posters on here that have removed all doubt!
Move it to the new thread. I don't know who is the agressor, but stop the argument/fight.

Leafs For Life* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:53 AM
  #1019
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
You have no clue what you are talking about. Sather was working for the Oilers. The owner asked him about Gretzky in 1977. Sather advised him to buy Gretzky for what ever it took.

This is nuts!
As a head coach.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:54 AM
  #1020
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
You specifically said single assists.

You said Gretzky came before Sather just a few posts back.

Nuts!
I did not say single assists. Quote it.

Gretzky came before Sather was a GM. I thought that was obvious since we were talking about GMs.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:59 AM
  #1021
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by F A N View Post
Oh you mean GMs who didn't benefit from GMs in the past? In that case, Bill Torrey. Torrey was the GM and first employee of the Islanders and was solely (oh right he had assistants ) responsible for Islanders winning 4 consecutive Cups. Burke also names Torrey as his inspiration.
If that is true, then alright, I will admit that I was wrong. There was one.

Though this was from an expansion, and doesn't really apply to the original scenario being discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F A N View Post
But I do think that Burke should be evaluated as a whole with weight given to the direction the team is heading at the end of the contract. But there needs to be results and Burke should not be given a long extension without showing that his blueprint works.
I agree, a long one is not needed yet, and further results need to be had within the next few years.

Some depends on when this darn lockout ends.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 01:00 AM
  #1022
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Man, I knew you were wacky, but tonight you have even exceeded my low expectations of you. Wow...
It really leaves you speechless when your own posts don't agree with you.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 01:01 AM
  #1023
Whydidijoin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
You called me a liar and now you are stating that you believe me to lied to you......

You are one of the few posters on here that have removed all doubt!
Then prove you didn't lie, because everything right now points to you being a liar.

Whydidijoin* is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 03:55 AM
  #1024
F A N
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
If that is true, then alright, I will admit that I was wrong. There was one.

Though this was from an expansion, and doesn't really apply to the original scenario being discussed.
Then what is the original secnario being discussed and why make the point? Outside of an expansion team, there won't be a GM who didn't receive SOMETHING from past GMs. I mean Burke's trade for Phaneuf was a good one, but do you credit the GMs who acquired/drafted Stajan, White, Hagman? Seems kind of silly.

F A N is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.