HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
there are some interesting theories coming out of this. so many stories.

like the one where he traded RR to the argos because he wanted to become the next GM of the argos

Old
11-04-2012, 04:21 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Can somebody please explain to me what record John Cornish broke, and why Andrew Harris is being called the Rushing Leader after last night?
Cornish had more than 300 rushing yards than Harris did so I don't know where you saw or heard that. Cornish broke the record for rushing yards by a Canadian. Asterisk that one because the old record by Normie Kwong was set in a 15-game season.

Last edited by MoneyGuy: 11-04-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
I have to eat my words about Reed. If the article is correct, he had way too many resposiblities on his plate. I'll give him another year.

I check the esks forum refered to in the article and eventhough there is alot of hate for ET, which after what has come out and probably even more to come may be justified, there was never any threats to him or his family.
did you check the first month or two after he became the GM? not to mention if there were some comments way beyond any sense of decency, they would have been removed by the mods.

it was probably just used as an excuse to why he didn't move here, but one with perhaps a tiny bit of truth.

fact is, Tillman is now gone. I'm more interested now in how the mess will be cleaned up, and what the heck is going on with this rhodes fella. gotta be some bad crap for so many employees to quit this past year.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Cornish had more than 300 rushing yards than Harris did so I don't know where you saw or heard that. Cornish broke the record for rushing yards by a Canadian. Asterisk that one because the old record by Norie Kwong was set in a 15-game season.
They kept talking about Harris clinching the lead for something last night, and on the BC Lions website the title for one of the videos says Harris takes the rushing lead with a TD run.

I think I figured it out though, I think Harris got the yards from scrimmage lead last night.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
did you check the first month or two after he became the GM? not to mention if there were some comments way beyond any sense of decency, they would have been removed by the mods.

it was probably just used as an excuse to why he didn't move here, but one with perhaps a tiny bit of truth.

fact is, Tillman is now gone. I'm more interested now in how the mess will be cleaned up, and what the heck is going on with this rhodes fella. gotta be some bad crap for so many employees to quit this past year.
One of the mods just checked all the posts, even the deleted ones. I'm not sure of the legal aspects of a forum but IMO any threats, would or should be reported.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:00 PM
OilerFan4Life

Thank god.

The fact that this "alleged" pedo was hired in the first place was a joke.

I don't see Hervey taking the GM job. I think he enjoys his current job of scouting.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:04 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Thank god.

The fact that this "alleged" pedo was hired in the first place was a joke.

I don't see Hervey taking the GM job. I think he enjoys his current job of scouting.
I think Hervey would be interested, actually. If not now, then later once he gets more experience.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Honestly, if half this stuff is true, you have to wonder how he's been employed for so long.

Combine both of the articles and it paints quite a disturbing picture. We basically see a man who wasn't fully committed to the team. If Kavis was doing a lot of day-to-day stuff, it leaves him very stretched with regards to his duties as a coach. Then add to the fact he had to take over partially as OC.

Out of all the things mentioned as to why Tillman was fired, I think the one that gets me the most is the whole "wanted the Toronto job and preparing himself for it" or whatever. Alot of things (ego etc.) I could've lived with if he brought success to the Eskimos, but him using this franchise as a launch pad for the Toronto job is despicable. If Rhodes knew about this, why the hell was he hired for so long? Your GM should be 100% committed to the franchise he works for. Not having an eye on the job he wants in the future.

If these issues are true, then canning Tillman was the right move. I also think then it shouldn't end with Tillman alone. If he is as bad as these to articles say he is, then why exactly was he allowed to be employed for so long?

11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
yep.
been hard to be an edmonton sports fan with both the oilers and the esks being a nationwide joke for so long.
and it can always get worse.

just brutal.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:32 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
From what I have read it sounds like Tillman living in Regina played a part in what happened. I have never heard of a GM living full time. I guess he did a lot of work from his office in Regina--do not see how that would work.There are certain jobs that you need to live where you work and I think GM is one of them

Old
11-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Honestly, if half this stuff is true, you have to wonder how he's been employed for so long.

Combine both of the articles and it paints quite a disturbing picture. We basically see a man who wasn't fully committed to the team. If Kavis was doing a lot of day-to-day stuff, it leaves him very stretched with regards to his duties as a coach. Then add to the fact he had to take over partially as OC.

Out of all the things mentioned as to why Tillman was fired, I think the one that gets me the most is the whole "wanted the Toronto job and preparing himself for it" or whatever. Alot of things (ego etc.) I could've lived with if he brought success to the Eskimos, but him using this franchise as a launch pad for the Toronto job is despicable. If Rhodes knew about this, why the hell was he hired for so long? Your GM should be 100% committed to the franchise he works for. Not having an eye on the job he wants in the future.

If these issues are true, then canning Tillman was the right move. I also think then it shouldn't end with Tillman alone. If he is as bad as these to articles say he is, then why exactly was he allowed to be employed for so long?
Another question that should be asked is why is our sports media just finding out about/reporting this now?

Wtf do they do all day? They couldnt figure out if Tillman was living in Edmonton or not at the very least?

Old
11-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Cornish had more than 300 rushing yards than Harris did so I don't know where you saw or heard that. Cornish broke the record for rushing yards by a Canadian. Asterisk that one because the old record by Normie Kwong was set in a 15-game season.
16 game schedule, they never had a 15 game season in the CFL. Kwong was injured and missed one of the games in 1956.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:45 PM
popo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Another question that should be asked is why is our sports media just finding out about/reporting this now?

Wtf do they do all day? They couldnt figure out if Tillman was living in Edmonton or not at the very least?
It had been reported in the media before this. Maybe not in his first season, but definitely a few times this season.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:55 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
It had been reported in the media before this. Maybe not in his first season, but definitely a few times this season.
Do you have a link? Not saying it isnt true but Im truly interested and have never heard of any of this before he was fired.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:03 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Do you have a link? Not saying it isnt true but Im truly interested and have never heard of any of this before he was fired.
I know on Tencer's show it was mentioned that he spent a lot of time at his home "but it did not affect his ability to his job"--Obviously it did.

And without hijecking this thread. Almost anyone who lived in Edmonton in the 80's and either played hockey or partied hard, has a story of dealing with one or two oilers who were feeling no pain. But it was two non-hockey reporters who broke the Fuhr story. There has always been an unwritten rule about reporting certain behind the scenes things and I think Tillman fell into that catagory

Old
11-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I am the Liquor

From Ridersfans.com...........

Quote:
My sources were telling me in August his fate was sealed. Too much fan and alumni discontent and like here, some on the board were sick and tired of Eric Tillman. The media in Edmonton were ruthless and not like here where they were Tillman's puppets.
Also this.........

Quote:
jim bender @bendersun
CJOB's Bob Irving says he heard earlier this season that Tillman traded Ray to T.O. because he knew he was going to become Argos GM.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 11-04-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Billybaroo*

Well, I guess it could be worse. He could have been living in Cabo.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:43 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
From Ridersfans.com...........
Ouch. If true and they let him trade away our 1st for a kicker after that, heads should roll. that would mean they let a guy sabotage the team. Wow, I just went back to check the date on that trade and I forgot exactly how brutal it was.

Quote:
The Eskimos traded backup kicker Derek Schiavone and a pair of picks in the 2013 Canadian college draft to the Montreal Alouettes for backup kicker Brody McKnight, an eighth overall pick in 2011, on Wednesday. The picks headed to Montreal are first-round and fourth-round selections.
And if Tillman does end up in TO after trading Ray there for peanuts the league should investigate. The NHL warned Burke they'd be looking at all his moves leading up to his move from the Ducks to the Leafs. The CFL should see if there was any agreement prior to the trade between Tillman and the Argos owner and compensate the Eskimos if they find something.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I am the Liquor

It will be interesting. I guess. Is that the right word?

Even if it does end up happening, Im not holding my breath on the league doing anything about it. They are pretty timid in dealing with stuff. Khalif Mitchell being just one recent example.

And yes, someone needs to do some digging. It seems there is malfeasance or at least incompetence at the President/board level too.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

So Tillman sabotaged us. Nice. That just makes Esks' upper management look incompetent and it makes the league look even more bush league than it already is.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Babel

Quote:
It will be interesting. I guess. Is that the right word?

Even if it does end up happening, Im not holding my breath on the league doing anything about it. They are pretty timid in dealing with stuff. Khalif Mitchell being just one recent example.

And yes, someone needs to do some digging. It seems there is malfeasance or at least incompetence at the President/board level too.
I'm sure even if it was the case that Tillman knew he would end up in Toronto and that prompted the Ray trade, nothing will come of it. After all David Braley owns 2 of the 8 teams in the league! (Argos and Lions)

Old
11-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
So Tillman sabotaged us. Nice. That just makes Esks' upper management look incompetent and it makes the league look even more bush league than it already is.
We dont know that, but there are people running those kind of conspiracy theories up the flag pole, some of them reporters it would seem. We will have to wait and see what happens I guess. If he does take over as gm in TO though it should warrant action from the league.

I remember people saying the trade was the league trying to get the Argos into the cup or something like that, but if it was Tillman trying to make roster changes to his yet to be team in advance of him coming there, then there should be severe consequences. They could start with nullifying/reversing the trade, as much as I dont want Ray back, and they could give us a few years in a row of their #1picks just because.

Tillman could also be fined heavily personally, and then banned from the league for life.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/0...ving-in-regina

Quote:
Upon the announcement of his hiring, Tillman immediately received threats on his and his family’s well-being on an online fan forum.

“I’ve had people encourage me to get a lawyer to go after them, they’ve been so vicious,” Tillman said previously. “It’s why my wife isn’t here. Our board knows that’s why they’re not here. She said there is no way after that.
Is he saying Esksfans or whatever was the reason he stayed in Regina? Come on man.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:52 AM
rosemount289

Management has been a Joke..........?

The Eskimos traded backup kicker Derek Schiavone and a pair of picks in the 2013 Canadian college draft to the Montreal Alouettes for backup kicker Brody McKnight, an eighth overall pick in 2011, on Wednesday. The picks headed to Montreal are first-round and fourth-round selections.

What kills me is that this Mcknight has not even partcipated in a game?..........has he punted at all? or place kicked?

The management of the Eskimos Front Office has been a joke, a mess beginning with the hiring Danny Maicoca and the retirement of Quincy Moffat!

Old
11-05-2012, 07:53 AM
jadeddog

Quote:

it was widely known that tillman was living in regina

that being said, i find it hilarious that the media only writes something negative once the guy is fired... not exactly showing a lot of backbone now is it?

Closed Thread