Old
11-04-2012, 05:04 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMaximus View Post
he might be ready to play by the 18th
Yeah, but it's iffy, and they will be very careful with him... it would be hilarious if that was the last game he misses and then comes back the very next game and rocks the rest of the season without issue.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:02 PM
oilphan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
What, direct hit aimed at head from behind at full speed is "what he should've done"? Then what differentiates Taylor Hall from Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke, other than draft position?
I guess the opinion of the league is what differentiates them. Not only does the draft position argument not hold water (because he was suspended right after the hit), but the suspension was also rescinded after the league looked at it.

Hall was the recipient of a hard hit in the head area which knocked him out last year. While many of the Oiler fans were asking for a suspension, the reality was that Hall put himself in a vulnerable position...just like Brodin did. You gotta keep your head up in this league, because players are going to finish their checks. That does not mean that they are head hunting.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 02:28 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
What, direct hit aimed at head from behind at full speed is "what he should've done"? Then what differentiates Taylor Hall from Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke, other than draft position?
I dont like coming to other teams boards and commenting... but geeze

1) didnt make contact with the head
2) wasnt from behind
3) wasnt at full speed (he was coming in quick but nowhere near full speed)

It was a loose puck both players were going for and Brodin put himself in a bad position while Hall didnt have time to react.

I would love to hear what your actions would have been in that situation if you were Hall and how theyd be different, starting from when he started skating for the loose puck. What would you have changed that wouldnt allow Brodin to escape and make a play.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
For Granlund, they said at practice it was a high ankle sprain. So, nothing too severe. Broken collarbone is a little different. Would be a terrible ride back to Houston on a bus. Should be an easy recovery.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Sportsfan1

Least with Brodin it was A) Not a concussion B) during a minor league game so hopefully he's learned his lesson by the time he gets to the NHL.

Just grateful it wasn't more serious with Granlund and hope they take their time and make darn sure he's 100% when he comes back.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:39 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Least with Brodin it was A) Not a concussion
Unfortunately I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere yet.

News on Granlund are GREAT, even if high ankle sprains can be serious and even affect a player's game for the whole season. Hopefully it's not a severe one, the fact they are predicting only 2 weeks instead of 4 is encouraging.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
Unfortunately I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere yet.

News on Granlund are GREAT, even if high ankle sprains can be serious and even affect a player's game for the whole season. Hopefully it's not a severe one, the fact they are predicting only 2 weeks instead of 4 is encouraging.
It's a broken collar bone.

I've sprained my ankle quite a few times - I hope nobody is getting their hopes up for Granlund's return in 2 weeks. I'd bet the swelling isn't even down yet. He'll need to do strengthening exercises for a couple weeks to get his ankle back to 100%. If he plays before it's fully healed, he's way more likely to re-sprain the ankle.

Last edited by Minnesota: 11-05-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Severe ankle sprains are usually 3-6 weeks. The plus side is that hockey players can tape it up and get in a stiff boot and push it earlier.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:11 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Ankle sprain can heal within a week. I've sprained mine many times whilst skateboarding. Heals in a week to couple of months. Brodin's case on the other hand is so frustrating. Just when the team begun to gain some chemistry - especially Brodin and Scandy - he has to watch from the side.

Although I think it's important for both Granlund and Brodin to learn and adabt in Houston, it's Brodin who gains more of it. Granlund will be moving to Minnesota anyway but now Brodin can't show that he deserves the spot. It's not a bad choice for him to play in Houston for the rest of season but this definitely doesn't help him to crack the lineup.

Hoping both a quick recovery.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Broke my collarbone twice playing hockey. Once being tripped and falling into the post. Second time checking someone into the boards. Both times it was my left clavical. Healing went pretty fast for me the second time around. It helped knowing what the pain would be like and what kind of things I wouldn't be able to do with my left arm.

I had absolutely zero problems once the bad boy was healed but I was nervous to put much strain on it or try to check people with my left shoulder for a while after it was healed. Hopefully Brodin can heal quick and it doesn't cause his physical play to disappear even more.

I also had a bad high ankle sprain one year getting tripped and going feet first into the boards. Man that was a ****** injury . It took a long time for me to be able to get up to full speed and actually push hard off of my injured ankle. It was probably a few couple months before I could get back skating with the team, but it still didn't feel the same for quite a while. It would swell up so big after practice I would ice it every night when I came back. I lost basically a full season of high school to that ********. Hopefully Granlund's injury isn't as severe as mine was.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
B) during a minor league game so hopefully he's learned his lesson by the time he gets to the NHL.
Learn what lesson, exactly? Hall took a run at him from 5 feet over the faceoff circle. He had his back turned in the corner. There wasn't much, or anything, he could do.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Beegoalie

Good news is Granlund didn't suffer anything to the knee..wow did i cringe when i first saw the video.

No reason to rush him back..if it takes 3-4 weeks so be it. Make sure he's ready if the lockout ever ends.

Shame for Brodin, he was playing at such an impressive level. I think Falk, Prosser and Stoner were all starting to sweat with every good game he plays down there..

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:31 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I dont like coming to other teams boards and commenting... but geeze

1) didnt make contact with the head
2) wasnt from behind
3) wasnt at full speed (he was coming in quick but nowhere near full speed)

It was a loose puck both players were going for and Brodin put himself in a bad position while Hall didnt have time to react.

I would love to hear what your actions would have been in that situation if you were Hall and how theyd be different, starting from when he started skating for the loose puck. What would you have changed that wouldnt allow Brodin to escape and make a play.
That's largely what I saw. . .with the addition that I think Brodin was screened by his own player early and didn't see Hall coming until very late.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:02 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
i know he suffered a broken collarbone.

My point is i haven't seen ruled out anywhere yet the possibility he might have suffered a concussion along with the broken collarbone.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
I also had a bad high ankle sprain one year getting tripped and going feet first into the boards. Man that was a ****** injury . It took a long time for me to be able to get up to full speed and actually push hard off of my injured ankle. It was probably a few couple months before I could get back skating with the team, but it still didn't feel the same for quite a while. It would swell up so big after practice I would ice it every night when I came back. I lost basically a full season of high school to that ********. Hopefully Granlund's injury isn't as severe as mine was.
I had the same experience with ankle sprains. After my fifth one within a couple years, I had to quit basketball. Took me a like a year before I was completely healed, and even longer before I gained my confidence back to try sports again.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
i know he suffered a broken collarbone.

My point is i haven't seen ruled out anywhere yet the possibility he might have suffered a concussion along with the broken collarbone.
Ah.

Have you seen a concussion suggested anywhere? I haven't.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:55 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Ah.

Have you seen a concussion suggested anywhere? I haven't.
It hasn't been said anywhere, it just comes from how the hit looked.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:21 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
It hasn't been said anywhere, it just comes from how the hit looked.
Usually that kind of thing shows up, when it's marginal, the next time they try to go hard in warm-ups or a game. He's shut down because of the collar-bone. If it was a marginal case, we might never even know about it because he won't go hard again until it might have passed on its own.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:49 AM
melinko

vCash: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
Usually that kind of thing shows up, when it's marginal, the next time they try to go hard in warm-ups or a game. He's shut down because of the collar-bone. If it was a marginal case, we might never even know about it because he won't go hard again until it might have passed on its own.
And they probably wouldn't say anyway.
IE: the Zucker hit and mysterious injury.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
So, nobody posted Russo's latest blog I see. You should read it.

Not able to post it for now.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Metalcommand

Granlund out 2-4 weeks and Brodin minimum 8 weeks. Fletcher's words in Russo's blog.

Metalcommand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Strib

Granlund has a lateral ankle sprain, not high ankle, which is good.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Brodin's injury worries me more. I wonder how this will effect his development? Those 8+ weeks he could miss is key development time.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i don't know why anyone is worried about Brodin's development. Seriously, he's about the safest player we've ever drafted. He doesn't need time in Houston, and missing 8 weeks in the AHL isn't going to affect his career in the slightest. Only possible issue this could lead to would be over-cautious play. Stress the "over".

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I don't think it's wise to label any prospect as "safe."

But that's just me.