HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 03:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
I saw this at Puck Daddy. What do you guys think of this proposed trade?

"Perfect HFBoards Trade Proposal of the Week

User "Westhotsauce" wants to bring Jeff Skinner home.

To Car: Jake Gardiner + Carter Ashton + Lupul
To Tor: Jeff Skinner + 2013 2nd"
The key to understanding that thread is that Lupul and the pick were not originally part of the package.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I'm a big fan of Jake Gardiner's upside...but that's a no brainer, not close for Carolina. Don't have to think twice about it...a skating offensive defenseman that they have a million of ready to go (well...maybe not a million, but enough), a middling prospect who's stock is dropping and Lupul which doesn't really help them all that much for a damn near franchise player AND a top-50 pick...yeah, that's an HF proposal alright...brutal.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Hawkman

"Walt Disney Co has agreed to buy filmmaker George Lucas's Lucasfilm Ltd and the "Star Wars" franchise for $4.05 billion in cash and stock, a blockbuster deal that adds one of the most beloved franchises in entertainment history to Disney's lineup. Disney said there would be a new series of "Star Wars" feature films as part of the deal, with the first movie expected in 2015. Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger, in prepared remarks for analysts, said the plan was to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter. Lucas, a Hollywood icon known for exercising control over the most minute details of the fictional universe he created, will remain as a creative consultant."

Disney already owns ESPN and ABC. Soon they'll own everything! There's a 7th Star Wars film coming out in 2015.

Last edited by Hawkman: 10-30-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
"Walt Disney Co has agreed to buy filmmaker George Lucas's Lucasfilm Ltd and the "Star Wars" franchise for $4.05 billion in cash and stock, a blockbuster deal that adds one of the most beloved franchises in entertainment history to Disney's lineup. Disney said there would be a new series of "Star Wars" feature films as part of the deal, with the first movie expected in 2015. Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger, in prepared remarks for analysts, said the plan was to release a new movie in the series every two to three years thereafter. Lucas, a Hollywood icon known for exercising control over the most minute details of the fictional universe he created, will remain as a creative consultant."

Disney already owns ESPN and ABC. Soon they'll own everything! There's a 7th Star Wars film coming out in 2015.

As you can see its pretty common that a few owns alot.... makes it tough for me to avoid Nestle....

Old
10-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Ok, I'll bite...why avoid Nestle?

Old
10-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post

As you can see its pretty common that a few owns alot.... makes it tough for me to avoid Nestle....
You don't understand. One company owning so much of the content that we read and see which shapes our opinions is unprecedented and dangerous. The less corporations that own media the easier it is for them to manipulate our opinions and buying habits. For example look at the (non Disney owned) ridiculous Fox News which millions of Americans take seriously. Disney even owns Marvel Comics whose characters have become a force at the box office.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
You don't understand. One company owning so much of the content that we read and see which shapes our opinions is unprecedented and dangerous. The less corporations that own media the easier it is for them to manipulate our opinions and buying habits. For example look at the (non Disney owned) ridiculous Fox News which millions of Americans take seriously. Disney even owns Marvel Comics whose characters have become a force at the box office.
Thats 'murica though. I rarely follow any conventional media as I've understood this a long time ago.

My point were that the world is owned by a very small amount of people (including the media).

Old
10-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I don't want to start anything...but in the spirit of fairness...FoxNews is little different than MSNBC...it just depends on what you want to hear.

That's all I'm saying though haha...

Old
10-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Has anyone seen this before: http://www.donreddick.com/companion.html

I accidently found it while researching Arthur Moore from the Silver Seven. I only skimmed a couple links, but who knows if it has anything relating to the drafts here in it regarding Frank McGee and his teammates...probably not, but you never know...

Old
10-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Has anyone seen this before: http://www.donreddick.com/companion.html

I accidently found it while researching Arthur Moore from the Silver Seven. I only skimmed a couple links, but who knows if it has anything relating to the drafts here in it regarding Frank McGee and his teammates...probably not, but you never know...
Very good book. That's where I got a lot of my information Alf Smith, Harvey Pulford, and Billy Gilmour.

For Frank McGee, that's here I read that his team-mates hated him for being lazy and entitled.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Hawkman

I've been impressed with the picks so far. Most of my MLD reserve names are gone. I thought I had a good pick, but he has a problem. I'll post something if he is picked.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:05 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Very good book. That's where I got a lot of my information Alf Smith, Harvey Pulford, and Billy Gilmour.

For Frank McGee, that's here I read that his team-mates hated him for being lazy and entitled.
I am only able to skim these pages right now, but I do know that Reddick writes fiction based on real characters. So how much of the information in these links is historical?

Old
11-01-2012, 10:07 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Is that where you got the "apparently" Art Moore beat up Harvey Pulford claim of yours?

Pulford was a beast of a player, often cited in newspaper articles for his rough play, was a boxing champion in Canada and USA, also a rowing and football fullback for Ottawa in championship seasons.

The idea of little Art Moore beating up Pulford is laughable (just look at the bloody photos!), unless some sort of evidence is marshalled.

Pulford and Smith were the Alpha males of the Ottawa team for a long time, often friends, sometimes not. Moore? Cite some evidence of his toughness please!

Old
11-02-2012, 04:24 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Is that where you got the "apparently" Art Moore beat up Harvey Pulford claim of yours?
I found MANY sources for this, but I am pretty sure one as from this book. Can't remember them all off hand, but I think it was in the Trail, and I also found some newspaper articles.

One newspaper article talked about how Pulfurd took to the ice with bruises all ver his face, and the fans couldnd't beleieve somebody actually did beat him up!

Quote:
Pulford was a beast of a player, often cited in newspaper articles for his rough play, was a boxing champion in Canada and USA, also a rowing and football fullback for Ottawa in championship seasons.
Thanks for the Harvey Pulford lesson. If you wanted to see all those sources for his rough play, just consult the bio I made for him a few short months ago...

Quote:
The idea of little Art Moore beating up Pulford is laughable (just look at the bloody photos!), unless some sort of evidence is marshalled.
Little Art Moore, eh? Look at the pictures?

Here's the best quality picture, http://hockeygods.com/images/6880-Ot...ampions___1905

Both seated in the front row. Pulford 2nd from left, Moore far right. Which one is clearly bigger than the other?

Old
11-05-2012, 04:07 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

vCash: 50
I've been quite absent from this board in the last two months , and I understand the AAA draft is still going on and we're not there yet , but is the ATD starting around the same time this year? (End of January?)

Old
11-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
but is the ATD starting around the same time this year? (End of January?)
Most likely.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Hawkman

I'm looking at the "100 greatest sports photos of all time" and the hockey ones are listed below. Are these really the 5 greatest hockey photos of all time? Click there > http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/spe...=si_topstories

9 Wayne Gretzky Kings vs. Canucks | Mar. 23, 1994

60 Jacques Plante Canadiens at Rangers | Dec. 18, 1957

74 Wayne Gretzky New York | April 18, 1999

78 U.S. Hockey 1980 Olympics | Feb. 22, 1980

80 Bobby Orr Stanley Cup Finals Game 4 | May 10, 1970

Old
11-07-2012, 09:08 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

An election proposition has changed the laws in two U.S States. Mainstream news stories have deliberated on the tax revenues and speculated on their use. Is this not fair comment? I assume so. A lot of tax revenue will be flowing into Colorado and Washington and it may have implications to the hockey world.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:20 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
An election proposition has changed the laws in two U.S States. Mainstream news stories have deliberated on the tax revenues and speculated on their use. Is this not fair comment? I assume so. A lot of tax revenue will be flowing into Colorado and Washington and it may have implications to the hockey world.
I have a feeling that politicians in the US is most likely to be the most corrupt and stubborn bunch of jackasses in the western civilization.

The republican morons will never accept an tax increase to save the deficit and the democrats will not abandon the weak by cutting government spending and both will not cut military spending because then the "terrorists" win.

Which will put the worlds economy in turmoil again and companies will be smiling when they can cut salaries when unemployment reaches new heights.

On top of that we have a bunch of millionaires and billionaires stopping any NHL play because they are fighting about spare change to a game that have become expensive to watch while the entertainment level have decreased.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Hawkman

This is so addicting. As far as I know, not a day has gone by since the end of the ATD first round that I haven't done some type of book or internet reading or research to learn more. I have to watch the drafts to see who gets picked and where. I gots to know. (Dirty Harry reference ).

Old
11-13-2012, 07:45 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

For anybody who still gives a damn about anything I think:

1. Sakic like Yzerman defines a complete center for their generation.
2. Oates, Federko, Gretzky and Lemieux owned two decades of playmaking hockey sense (Has only Thornton since even rivaled their genius?).
3. Sundin was head and shoulders above most other players on the Leafs (Belfour and Yushkevich being clear exceptions imo, in their very different roles).
4. Bure was worthy of remembrance but opens the door to Lindros and Forsberg (not a bad thing, just an implication imo).

I haven't an all-around good feeling foe the Hall until Shero and Makorov are in. Until then, **** it. Politics sucks.

Old
11-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Hawkman

Here's an article about Roenick (surprise, surprise in my best Gomer Pyle voice) questioning Marleau's desire to win. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7637--nhl.html

Last edited by Hawkman: 11-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Here's article about Roenick (surprise, surprise in my best Gomer Pyle voice) questioning Marleau's desire to win. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7637--nhl.html
I tend to agree with Roenick on this matter but it's not just Marleau. The league is filled with talented players who are looking to cash in checks but not cups. In my honest opinion I rather watch juniors and european leagues at the moment and have a break from NHL.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

10,000 posts on HF for me today, didn't think I'd ever see the day

I remember when my post count used to be up to 11 or 12 posts a day, 85% of my usage on this site is now the ATD and the NHL entry mock drafts I host.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
10,000 posts on HF for me today, didn't think I'd ever see the day I remember when my post count used to be up to 11 or 12 posts a day, 85% of my usage on this site is now the ATD and the NHL entry mock drafts I host.
I would have more, but I see posts like the 2012 Kings had more talent than the 2012 Penguins would have had with a healthy Crosby and I refuse to argue.

Closed Thread