HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs [10-15-3] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

vCash: 500
The one thing that has struck me about Holland time and time again is just how smart and well-spoken he is off the ice. If he doesn't want to do bigger things, I feel like he could definitely be a coach. What a smart kid.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:49 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
He better play, i'd rather have him in than Berger.
No way. Berger is much more deserving. I just don't see Avtsin panning out.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:39 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

I thought Ellis has a rough game.

It's quite obvious that he has to adjust to the speed of the AHL, while his style of play doesn't require much speed, he will need to improve it because right now he looks slow.

He also had a questionable penalty and made two bad passes that caused turnover.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Asamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Speaking of Holland, another feature on him from a Hamilton paper. Comes from a family of doctors, planned on being a scientist until he accidentally realized how good he was at hockey.

http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldo...-better-things
Holland fits perfectly in this team and to get him in exchange of Camalleri + 2013 2nd round pick is a big bonus. However, to perfect his hockey IQ, he will definitely need to play another year with Hamilton before expecting getting a call. To conclude, Leblanc and Gallagher are both ahead of him. (Honorable mention to Geoffrion)

Old
11-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Some observations after last nights' game:
Very impressed by Holland. His skating is very smooth and he can stick handle pretty well. He really stands out on the ice. He's keeping up the good play game after game. He has a decent amount of points but I feel he could rack them up even more once he gets more used to the pros. He has developed tremendously over the last year, I hope he keeps it up.

Everything has been said about Gallagher, but I want to praise him as well. Another great game. Solid player.

I'm really disappointed that Pateryn is injured. He needs to find some consistency, but when he's playing well, he shows a lot of promises. Can't wait to have him back in the line-up.

Tinordi played quite a game! I wasn't sure what to expect from him. I thought he'd be a meaner Hal Gill or a bigger Mike Komisarek, but I find that he has much more offensive instincts than both--and he can skate much better than Gill. He made a few good passes this game, the kind that you wouldn't see from either Gill or Komi. He pulled some skating moves that I really didn't expect from him and he didn't look out of place in the offensive zone. He's far from perfect, and he has a lot of learning to do, but it really comforts me to know that he's not strictly a defensive defenseman (although that will definitely be his bread and butter). I haven't really noticed his slap shot though. I know he sent a few quick wristers toward the net, they weren't powerful but they didn't look as silly as Gill's wrist shots. I don't think he's that far away from the NHL, really. He has a lot of learning to do, of course, but I feel he's quickly getting acclimatized to the AHL and polishing his game.

Beaulieu finally getting his first, very deserved, point. Another solid game for him, showcasing his immense talent. I'm not sure how well his game will translate in the NHL, and he still has some mental lapses once in a while, but he's a lot of fun to watch and he looks very promising.

Geoffrion with another good game. Not really sure what to think about him at this point. At least he's not as shy as I remembered him to be from last season. He goes to the net, and his second goal looked very Erik Cole-esque. Of course, his first goal was pure "crash the crease", which is also good! I hope he keeps it up and plays fearlessly.

I'm losing hope with Palushaj. I had faith that he could show everyone that he belongs in the NHL before the "start" of the season, but he needs to stand out more. He's quietly putting up the points, but he needs to be dominant, not just okay. It's his fourth season in the AHL and he's supposed to be a skilled player yet rookies Holland and Gallagher look better than him. I thought he'd be tearing the league at this point, I'm disappointed. It's still early in the season, but he definitely needs to look like the best forward on the Bulldogs at this point in his career.

I'll repeat myself, but I'm a big fan of Dumont's game. He's not as much of a **** disturber as I was hoping he'd be, but he plays his role very well. I think he's a big reason why Hamilton's PK is doing well. Also, his offensive instincts aren't so bad. I've been impressed a few times during last night's game by his creativity. It probably won't translate in the NHL, but you never know. And don't get me wrong, he's not amazing in the O-zone, but for a defense-first player, he's not a lost cause when he's in the opposite zone (then again, he had some really good seasons in the QMJHL).

Can't wait for Wednesday's game. I'll try to pay closer attention to Nattinen, Quailer and Ellis this time.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Some observations after last nights' game:
Very impressed by Holland. His skating is very smooth and he can stick handle pretty well. He really stands out on the ice. He's keeping up the good play game after game. He has a decent amount of points but I feel he could rack them up even more once he gets more used to the pros. He has developed tremendously over the last year, I hope he keeps it up.

Everything has been said about Gallagher, but I want to praise him as well. Another great game. Solid player.

I'm really disappointed that Pateryn is injured. He needs to find some consistency, but when he's playing well, he shows a lot of promises. Can't wait to have him back in the line-up.

Tinordi played quite a game! I wasn't sure what to expect from him. I thought he'd be a meaner Hal Gill or a bigger Mike Komisarek, but I find that he has much more offensive instincts than both--and he can skate much better than Gill. He made a few good passes this game, the kind that you wouldn't see from either Gill or Komi. He pulled some skating moves that I really didn't expect from him and he didn't look out of place in the offensive zone. He's far from perfect, and he has a lot of learning to do, but it really comforts me to know that he's not strictly a defensive defenseman (although that will definitely be his bread and butter). I haven't really noticed his slap shot though. I know he sent a few quick wristers toward the net, they weren't powerful but they didn't look as silly as Gill's wrist shots. I don't think he's that far away from the NHL, really. He has a lot of learning to do, of course, but I feel he's quickly getting acclimatized to the AHL and polishing his game.

Beaulieu finally getting his first, very deserved, point. Another solid game for him, showcasing his immense talent. I'm not sure how well his game will translate in the NHL, and he still has some mental lapses once in a while, but he's a lot of fun to watch and he looks very promising.

Geoffrion with another good game. Not really sure what to think about him at this point. At least he's not as shy as I remembered him to be from last season. He goes to the net, and his second goal looked very Erik Cole-esque. Of course, his first goal was pure "crash the crease", which is also good! I hope he keeps it up and plays fearlessly. [EDIT: LIKE HIS GRAND FATHER!]

I'm losing hope with Palushaj. I had faith that he could show everyone that he belongs in the NHL before the "start" of the season, but he needs to stand out more. He's quietly putting up the points, but he needs to be dominant, not just okay. It's his fourth season in the AHL and he's supposed to be a skilled player yet rookies Holland and Gallagher look better than him. I thought he'd be tearing the league at this point, I'm disappointed. It's still early in the season, but he definitely needs to look like the best forward on the Bulldogs at this point in his career.

I'll repeat myself, but I'm a big fan of Dumont's game. He's not as much of a **** disturber as I was hoping he'd be, but he plays his role very well. I think he's a big reason why Hamilton's PK is doing well. Also, his offensive instincts aren't so bad. I've been impressed a few times during last night's game by his creativity. It probably won't translate in the NHL, but you never know. And don't get me wrong, he's not amazing in the O-zone, but for a defense-first player, he's not a lost cause when he's in the opposite zone (then again, he had some really good seasons in the QMJHL).

Can't wait for Wednesday's game. I'll try to pay closer attention to Nattinen, Quailer and Ellis this time.
What you said about Beaulieu is correct. His game is a lot about quick skating bursts where he is also making creative passes. However, he does not do it all the time. Also, I agree that he does have some lapses defensively, however, he has improved a lot lately. I think if he put on 20-25 pounds of muscle he would be an NHL player. I truly believe that and thats where I disagree a little bit with you regarding his game transition to the NHL. He has a pro mind set already and he has A LOT of confidence. Its a real strength of his.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I think if he put on 20-25 pounds of muscle he would be an NHL player.
lol you are talking as if putting 20-25lbs of muscle is easy, even bodybuilders on steroids have a hard time putting that much in a year.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
You know, I had seen Dumont a handful of times previously and was never that excited. I thought he'd struggle to ever play a higher level because he was sub-par on so many levels. But this year, I totally agree with you. He looks really solid out there. Definitely a sparkplug for the AHL squad.

I'm not saying he'll ever be a great NHL player, but for the first time, I have hope there's something there. A bit fiestier Brunet in the making?

Old
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
lol you are talking as if putting 20-25lbs of muscle is easy, even bodybuilders on steroids have a hard time putting that much in a year.
With his frame, Canadiens resources, and the fact that he is a PROFESSIONAL athlete, he should be able to do it in two years without much difficulty.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Protest the Hero

Something I noticed last game that I hadn't before, Dumont's shot. It's very quick.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:13 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Can Nattinen be use at center instead of using Boyce please?

Old
11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
EveryDay

Leblanc back on the ice this week?

http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/350762.html

Old
11-06-2012, 09:32 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
With his frame, Canadiens resources, and the fact that he is a PROFESSIONAL athlete, he should be able to do it in two years without much difficulty.
Adding 20-25 lbs of muscle could be very tough, it depends on the person though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Leblanc back on the ice this week?

http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/350762.html
Good news. During the last game I heard them say that Leblanc could be back in 2 weeks and I thought they must of had it wrong since I thought he was out 4-6 weeks.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Adding 20-25 lbs of muscle could be very tough, it depends on the person though.

Good news. During the last game I heard them say that Leblanc could be back in 2 weeks and I thought they must of had it wrong since I thought he was out 4-6 weeks.
It would be really ill-advised to have Leblanc come back that quickly from an ankle strain,that's what Crosby did a few years ago and his ankle bothered him all year.I gained about 40 lbs. three years ago,it wasn't hard to do but I'll bet there isn't 1lb of muscle as I was recovering from surgery.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:16 AM
zzoo

About yesterday game, it's the same story: great effort, and no sign of talent.

Gallagher looked better than previous games, he controlled the puck more, instead of shooting and shooting from everywhere. Palushaj did that yesterday, he shot when there's almost no chance to score.

I agree with the one that has said that if Habs has to call up a forward, that would be Geoffrion. No, he's not so good, but ....

Old
11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Stortini sucks balls.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:07 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Stortini sucks balls.
Agreed. Every time that I see how Stortini is useless, I think about Avtsin. I wonder if Avtsin is that bad so the coach doesn't bother to dress him instead of Stortini.
Boyce is not good neither.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:04 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Stortini sucks balls.
He really does. He brings nothing to the table. Nothing except stupid penalties.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I liked the idea of having some team-tough players better, obviously Alex Henry was ideal in that respect, but I sort of thought Ian Schultz was coming along as a bit more of a contributor last season too... ? Stortini looks really awful. Hagel also doesn't seem to be a very likely contributor? Too bad Tinordi isn't quite ready to step up some, but there are some others like Blunden...

I have only seen a few other teams now, but does it seem like other teams are also kind of phasing out the pure enforcers even at the AHL level? Toronto, Rochester, Abbotsbord didn't really seem to have anybody who was that much of a pure liability? Tarnasky plays better, for example. There were some big D-men on a couple of those teams too, and Fraser really fought effectively for the Marlies, but they all seemed like contributing players, not just enforcers?

Old
11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

AHL is the best league right now. All the top prospects are down so there is no room for enforcers or guys who wont chip in, especially when they play 3 games in 3 nights most times. I think if the NHL gets the dispute resolved you'll see more of those guys getting ice time.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:54 PM
domdo345

The problem is not that Stortini is in the line-up, the problem is that Lefebvre is rolling the 4 lines pretty much equally when 5 vs 5 because he matches lines no matter what. So if the other coaches is just a little bit wise, he'll put his 4th line on the ice that is probably much better than ours, and give Stortini ice time. Although I hate coaches that roll with 4 lines, I really wouldn't mind if he double shifted guys like Gallagher, Holland or Goeffrion. The guys started to have some tempo in their game in the third when we got PP's because they finally saw more ice time.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I liked the idea of having some team-tough players better, obviously Alex Henry was ideal in that respect, but I sort of thought Ian Schultz was coming along as a bit more of a contributor last season too... ? Stortini looks really awful. Hagel also doesn't seem to be a very likely contributor? Too bad Tinordi isn't quite ready to step up some, but there are some others like Blunden...

I have only seen a few other teams now, but does it seem like other teams are also kind of phasing out the pure enforcers even at the AHL level? Toronto, Rochester, Abbotsbord didn't really seem to have anybody who was that much of a pure liability? Tarnasky plays better, for example. There were some big D-men on a couple of those teams too, and Fraser really fought effectively for the Marlies, but they all seemed like contributing players, not just enforcers?
Yeah going into this season I was worried about our young guys facing teams like Toronto, based on last seasons games, but it really hasn't been a problem so far. Hey maybe Stortini is so intimidating that other teams just don't want to fight him.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He really does. He brings nothing to the table. Nothing except stupid penalties.
I've been saying that since the 2nd game.

Guy ****ing sucks.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
It would be really ill-advised to have Leblanc come back that quickly from an ankle strain,that's what Crosby did a few years ago and his ankle bothered him all year.I gained about 40 lbs. three years ago,it wasn't hard to do but I'll bet there isn't 1lb of muscle as I was recovering from surgery.
During last nights game they said that Leblanc was 2-3 weeks away still. They didn't say anything about him being on the ice though. Also said that Pateryn will be out a while and that Desjardins is still day to day, no word on when he will get his first start.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
TinordiandSubban

Tinordi and Larry

Was watching the Dogs with one eye and the '76 Habs with the other last Saturday and noticed some similarities with Tinordi and Larry Robinson.

I'm NOT saying Tinordi is going to be the next Larry Robinson but watching them both at the same time you can see Tinordi has the same calming presence on the ice. He has the size and mobility that Larry had but also the same presence on the ice..a certain gravitas... a calming presence for his teammates and a quietly intimidating one for the opposition.

Tinordi has already surprised me with his passing skills and at the end of the Rochester game that went to overtime he shocked me by skating into open ice and driving to the net. He looks unstoppable when he gets moving and skates very well, not just good for his size, but a good skater compared to anyone. Larry used to jump up in the play and scare the hell out of anyone in his way, he picked his spots but when he went for it look out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtkJQ836Rd0

Tinordi then got involved in a fracas by the bench and sorted that out. Larry used to keep em sorted with a word and a warning point and Tinordi looks like he might have that same ability to straighten out any stupidity with having to drop em with everyone who asks.

Just like Larry did when he was just starting out he has to grow into his skin and just like Larry he is too nice a guy for his own good, but he is already doing the little things and taking care of business like a pro. He may never have the green light to skate with the puck in the NHL and needs a lot of work on his shot before he ever thinks he might see the powerplay but there is a lot more offensive potential there than we were led to believe.

If the lockout wipes out the whole NHL season, getting to watch Tinordi develop game after game in the AHL is going to almost make up for it.

Again, NOT saying Tinordi is the next Larry Robinson, just saying how similar they look in terms of style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-R9...eature=related

Closed Thread