HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Why isn't Hockey big in Britain or France?

Old
10-01-2012, 11:10 AM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Soccer in the US is much, much, much bigger than hockey in the UK. MLS is the third most popular league among US soccer fans and it still blows away hockey. It's just not close.

I played rugby in the US and that's not a bad comparison. Rugby is much more widely played in the US while much less of a spectator sport, but it's that same sort of feeling. Most big cities have a rink, a small shop dedicated to selling the gear, the playing base is very small but pretty enthusiastic, etc. Even has that far-flung Olympic history what with the '36 gold medal and the USA's two golds in rugby.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Mathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
If you take into account the populations of the countries in which MLS is played compared to the population of the UK, and compare the attendances for MLS and EIHL ice hockey as a ratio drawn against the relevant populations, then EIHL ice hockey doesn't stack up too bad. Yes MLS still comes out on top but this is hardly surprising given the ease at which a spectator can become familiar with the sport, which in turn may drive their interest. I can kick a soccer ball about on just about any patch of grass near my home, how many cities in the UK even have ice rinks, let alone ice rinks featuring any ice hockey?

When the absolutely dominance of soccer in the UK as the number one team sport is taken into account and the ease by which individuals in any country can play/become familiar with it (boys in the park using hoodies as goal posts) the attendance figures for ice hockey in the UK aren't so bad.
I understand that soccer has natural advantages that contributes to its popularity. And I also understand that hockey does really well considering how many barriers are involved in playing the sport. So we're agreed there.

However, the population thing isn't really a good comparison. If NFL averages 60,000+, and EPL averages 35,000, does it mean that EPL would be averaging 200,000+ if it was the same size as the US? The clear answer is that it wouldn't. There is a limit to what leagues can average regardless of the size of the country. In the case of hockey and basketball, the main barrier is the dimensions of rinks/courts that limit arena sizes to the upper limit of 20-23,000.

Don't get me wrong, MLS is small time if we're comparing it to the Big 4 leagues, but its still further ahead than EIHL. Other than attendance, I'll cite a few other examples: its invested over $1.4B in stadiums over the past decade. Adidas sponsors MLS to the tune of $200m over 8 years. Many clubs have shirt sponsorships comparable to EPL teams. LA Galaxy for instance have a $100m 10-year local TV deal. Seattle Sounders local ratings would be in the top third in the NHL/top half in NBA. These are some things which have no comparison in EIHL.

Then again, I suppose these comparisons don't really matter as MLS/EIHL remain on the lower end of the spectrum in their respective countries.

Last edited by Mathers: 10-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Mathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Bluebirds Boyo

You don't need to even bring up all those MLS investment and sponsorship facts. Your average American has heard of MLS, your average Briton has absolutely no idea about the Elite Ice Hockey League. Your average American has heard of David Beckham and Pele, few in the UK know of Crosby or Ovechkin. A fair few know of the LA Galaxy, only a tiny amount of people know of the Nottingham Panthers. It's entirely different.

Bluebirds Boyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Mathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebirds Boyo View Post
You don't need to even bring up all those MLS investment and sponsorship facts. Your average American has heard of MLS, your average Briton has absolutely no idea about the Elite Ice Hockey League. Your average American has heard of David Beckham and Pele, few in the UK know of Crosby or Ovechkin. A fair few know of the LA Galaxy, only a tiny amount of people know of the Nottingham Panthers. It's entirely different.
Point taken, but MLS is still only a fraction of soccer support in the States. As someone said, its probably 3rd behind Euro and Mexican soccer.

The average punter doesn't care about MLS, but MLS isn't really a barometer for the sport. A Premier League game on the weekend got a 1.1 in the ratings, compared to a game in MLS getting 0.4. We could ask the same of hockey: instead of looking at EIHL, what signs are there that the NHL is popular? Any comparisons need to take the whole picture into account.

But to come back on topic, its the climate and lack of history with the game. The sports that were popular 100 years ago in the UK are the same sports that dominate today. Basically nothing has changed. For change to take place, you need a large grassroots movement, and a conducive climate to play the game. Hockey at this point has neither of those things in the UK, or France. The only sport that can really establish itself in the UK that isn't big already is basketball I feel.

There's a good reason why hockey is popular in the parts of Europe that it is. Nothing is out of place about it. Suitability to playing the game which leads to participation, which leads to history and cultural relevance.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:45 AM
BMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
It's not our fault Rugby/Cricket aren't in the Olympics.

Cricket/Rugby undoubtedly have greater international market pennetration than handball etc.

I don't find your choice of sports strange simply because you don't play our sports.

Outside of Football and going forward, basketball, there is no Team sport that is universally played everywhere. Most other team sports are much more regional.
Cricket is truly a minority sport. Most countries inc. Denmark who have produced the odd decent cricketer like Ole Mortensen would be thumped by a decent club side in England.

Rugby union is in the Olympics from 2016 and it is no longer an Empire relic either. It is the second most popular team sport across the world and the roots are growing stronger and developing fast in countries aided by Argentina like Chile, Brazil in Africa too and across Asia and indeed in Europe.

Given ice hockey was born here in Scotland it is a shame it hasn't developed to the extent it has given that it is a tremendous thrill ride for spectators.

The reasons have been gone over time and time again. Lack of a coherent focused approach to grow the sport with long term aims and a focused junior programme which makes the sport available to all and provides top class coaching to kids and picks out the best ones.

It can be done. Denmark for instance have shown it can be done. We could do it too but the leadership and desire and conflicting interests will not permit it.

It would be great to see Team GB at the Winter Olympics in this discipline but it's going to be a long time before it happens.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov View Post
Cricket is truly a minority sport. Most countries inc. Denmark who have produced the odd decent cricketer like Ole Mortensen would be thumped by a decent club side in England.

Rugby union is in the Olympics from 2016 and it is no longer an Empire relic either. It is the second most popular team sport across the world and the roots are growing stronger and developing fast in countries aided by Argentina like Chile, Brazil in Africa too and across Asia and indeed in Europe.

Given ice hockey was born here in Scotland it is a shame it hasn't developed to the extent it has given that it is a tremendous thrill ride for spectators.

The reasons have been gone over time and time again. Lack of a coherent focused approach to grow the sport with long term aims and a focused junior programme which makes the sport available to all and provides top class coaching to kids and picks out the best ones.

It can be done. Denmark for instance have shown it can be done. We could do it too but the leadership and desire and conflicting interests will not permit it.

It would be great to see Team GB at the Winter Olympics in this discipline but it's going to be a long time before it happens.
The rise of Denmark as a hockey nation just proves we don't really have an excuse anymore. Obviously external stuff prevents us from becoming a true hockey power but we no longer have an excuse for not being able to produce NHL players, the problems lie within the system.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:58 PM
DundeeStars

I think junior hockey is doing well in the uk. I watched the bracknell U14's tournament this year and thought it was some of the best hockey I had seen the dundee U14's play. With Bracknell playing in England and Dundee playing in Scotland the teams had never played each other. Bracknell were undefeated that season and so was the Dundee so it was pretty much who ever one was the best U14's in britian. The final came down to these two teams and was a great match to watch.

DundeeStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundeeStars View Post
I think junior hockey is doing well in the uk. I watched the bracknell U14's tournament this year and thought it was some of the best hockey I had seen the dundee U14's play. With Bracknell playing in England and Dundee playing in Scotland the teams had never played each other. Bracknell were undefeated that season and so was the Dundee so it was pretty much who ever one was the best U14's in britian. The final came down to these two teams and was a great match to watch.
The two best teams in the UK playing 1 game aren't really a good represention of the state of junior hockey.

Do you want me to list for you all the junior games that have been won by 10+ goals so far this season? Or the number of teams who have just 2 lines?

Old
10-27-2012, 08:19 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundeeStars View Post
Sorry to take off topic, but Bracknell has got a lot of younger squads like that U14 side, lots of good young prospects are coming through the age groups here. Going to be exciting to see who makes it to EPL, Elite, hopefully beyond that.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:06 AM
DundeeStars

Quote:
The two best teams in the UK playing 1 game aren't really a good represention of the state of junior hockey.

Do you want me to list for you all the junior games that have been won by 10+ goals so far this season? Or the number of teams who have just 2 lines?
I guess that is very true. last year in the scottish league they put in a rule so that if you were winning by 10 goals they stopped counting the score or marking your stats down. I wasn't to sure on this rule and it annoyed alot of people.

DundeeStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Bluebirds Boyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathers View Post
We could ask the same of hockey: instead of looking at EIHL, what signs are there that the NHL is popular?
None. Because it isn't.

Bluebirds Boyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:31 PM
HabsByTheBay

I came across a wonderfully nerdy book called Homes of British Ice Hockey in Foyles the other day.

It is depressing to see how most British towns and cities are going backwards in terms of hockey. Most ice hockey fans in London would crawl over broken glass for something like Harringay Arena today.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
The rise of Denmark as a hockey nation just proves we don't really have an excuse anymore. Obviously external stuff prevents us from becoming a true hockey power but we no longer have an excuse for not being able to produce NHL players, the problems lie within the system.
Yeah because it's not that many years ago when Denmark lost to GB in hockey. It started to change slowly through 90's probably because to our proximity to Sweden, that allowed promising young players to play there while going to school. But still the money for danish hockey is still minute and it's almost all based on passion within hockey families. But getting good coaches and trainers was what changed it slowly around from C-group to A-group.
With the money GB could throw in the olympics, they could get a hockey going fairly fast if they wanted. Denmark still have very few skating rinks (around 20 shared with figure skating and curling) and players (4000 all included), since it's up to local communes to invest in rinks (and they have small budgets).
Our olympic qualification has to be played in Vojens where the AL-bank team SønderjyskE comes from. It's a town of massive 7.666 people (also famous for their Speedway history). They should be quite a number of GB towns over 7.500 people that could manage as well, being proud of their elite hockey team instead of playing (very) lower league football.
All it takes is one hockey fan running for mayor (which if i remember correctly actually is partly the reason Rødovre has a hockey club and have produced Lars Eller, Mikkel Bødker and Jannik Hansen). So GB hockey fans - get into politics

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:23 AM
clatchie

vCash: 450
Proximity to Sweden is a good point. For British guys to make it to the NHL they need to play in foreign leagues early.

clatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Soccer in the US is much, much, much bigger than hockey in the UK. MLS is the third most popular league among US soccer fans and it still blows away hockey. It's just not close.

I played rugby in the US and that's not a bad comparison. Rugby is much more widely played in the US while much less of a spectator sport, but it's that same sort of feeling. Most big cities have a rink, a small shop dedicated to selling the gear, the playing base is very small but pretty enthusiastic, etc. Even has that far-flung Olympic history what with the '36 gold medal and the USA's two golds in rugby.
The MLS is the third most popular league among US soccer fans? What does this exactly mean...

Soccer fans rank MLS the 3rd most in Soccer leagues in the world? Soccer fans in America rank the MLS #3 in pro sports in North America?

the MLS is not ranked #3 in the US or North America for pro team sports. Even the MLS biggest markets are at least #4 ranked in their cities and states for popularity. Hockey is 10x more popular in North America than the MLS... Hockey has always been more popular than Soccer in the US.

And the MLS is not the 3rd ranked soccer league in the world. If United States citizens who LOVE soccer rank MLS the 3rd to watch soccer league in the world, then thats sad for the MLS. You live in a country with a pro soccer league and you still rank 2 or more leagues ahead of you... According to FIFA, the MLS is not even in the top 10.

The UK is not as popular in hockey simply because its not tried to do so. North Americans have tried to bring it over to the UK but its not gaining as much support as they hoped. There not marketing it right, there not believing in it enough. The current Elite league in the UK from what I hear has grown, as every league in the world has in hockey in the last 10 years.

Soccer just dominates the UK and it wont change. Same way hockey dominates Canada. But if they wanted to grow the game in the UK, they have to find better investors.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
The UK is not as popular in hockey simply because its not tried to do so. North Americans have tried to bring it over to the UK but its not gaining as much support as they hoped. There not marketing it right, there not believing in it enough. The current Elite league in the UK from what I hear has grown, as every league in the world has in hockey in the last 10 years.
Eh? Are you trying to say North Americans introduced ice hockey to the UK? I'm not quite sure how much more wrong you could be, indeed there is a hell of a lot of evidence to point to the Brits inventing the modern version of the sport and spawning its rise in popularity in NA. Great Britain was (I believe) a founder member of the IIHF and teams in the UK have competed since at least 1900, if not earlier.

If you are talking about the modern game (EIHL, EPL etc) then can you point out who these North Americans running the show are? The two biggest teams in UK hockey (Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers) are owned (owners) and run (GMs) by Brits.

Quote:
Soccer just dominates the UK and it wont change. Same way hockey dominates Canada. But if they wanted to grow the game in the UK, they have to find better investors.
This I agree with, though to be honest it isn't purely a question of investing in the teams, its about investment in the facilities. You'd have to have very deep pockets to fund the building of facilities as well as run a team and I'm really not sure such investors would see a return on such outlay. Hell, soccer teams lose money hand over fist and that is the UK's #1 sport.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Thesensation19

the main point i wish to make is to underline the fact that hockey really had a set back from 1994-2005. In many countries the duration is a bit longer.

The NHL had issues from 94 to 2005 but now records are being broken in terms of revenue and popularity. You can blame the 94 shortened season and short lock out, you can blame the trap or boring hockey but I think it was a lack of marketing. The league doesnt do a good job on marketing its players. Lemieux having health issues and gretzky on the brink of his career did not help. Its like if the NHL now lost Crosby again... and Ovechkin. They would have a hard time in marketing the game if not for these two guys... Luckily the winter classic revived many lost fans. I know theres a current lockout but I think the league wont be affected as much this time around.

But you can see all over that many leagues all over the world had issues in marketing the game especially world wide but now in recent years you can see many leagues including the NHL grow in popularity.

The Croatian league was nothing from 91 to 2007 but their star powered medvescak franchise really turned around the sport in the country. NY times did an article on them, they held one of the most famous outdoor games and the team is treated like rockstars in the capitol. The Austrian hockey league has made huge progress in the last 4 years. The german league has made the most progress in the last 10 years. Popularity in all these Euro countries have grown in the last decade, some have grown tremendously.

Even Russia had its issues once Communism fell and the product of sports in the country diminished. The Super league was a joke until the KHL took it over and Medved came under control... the league is far more serious now and far more organized.

In a recent article, it stated that hockey is now the 2nd most popular team sport in Europe. And it kind of makes sense. Soccer/Football takes the cake as #1 but in many countries Hockey is above or right next to soccer in popularity. Russia/Sweden/Czech/Finland/Slovakia all have hockey right up there in #3, #2 or maybe even #1.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
the main point i wish to make is to underline the fact that hockey really had a set back from 1994-2005. In many countries the duration is a bit longer.
Lol no, in the UK this was when hockey popularity was at its peak, during the Super League era. Manchester Storm played the Sheffield Steelers in front of a sold out Nynex Arena in 1997, with an attendance of over 17,000.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 11-05-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old
11-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Thesensation19

I know it has roots in Northern European regions but I did not mean North America was introducing the sport to the UK, i mean that it was trying to expand the game there.

Cuz frankly, the UK was never that big in the sport to begin with. Many British troops would come over to Canada and play with other immigrants but the sport never really took off on the professional or elite level.

But that game was just a few or more people skating on ice with a ball and a stick. There are actual mentions of the game between Native Americans in Canada before the british came who played between tribes and regions for sport, for fun, for war. Way before the 17th century. Folk tale stories still told today.

but the modern game is probably more due to Canadians rather than the brits. The brits did come over and expand the game here but the game stands here in Canada. Montreal was the first modern game. Boards, goalis, teams and everything. Victoria.

I

Old
11-05-2012, 10:50 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Cricket is not a minority sport. If it is, rhen we must assume there are only 2 sports which we cannot categorize under niche and minority.

Quote:
It is a slowly growing sport, but of course, but it still dwarfed by cricket financially. Clearly this is due to one nation ; India and it's "sizeable" population. This population does give cricket somewhat of an artificial inflation relative to other sports. However, the domination culturally it has in that region of the world, the capital involved and it's influence spreading is to more significant than the money and expansion undergoing in Ruby as of now.

Quote:
Impossible to disagree with this

Quote:
It's odd. Our development system for football is archaic and wasteful. Of course developments between sports do not inherantly correspond, but it is interesting. Even with publicity, prestige and vast avenues of capital, systems still rely on working efficiently in the correct areas. This gives us both hope and dejection at the same time, i feel.

Quote:
I don't claim much knowledge on the history of Danish ice hockey. I cannot critique it, or understand whether the sport had an easier progression due to climate, logistical proximity and culture than we ourselves have.

Quote:
Elite level World Championships, 2nd or 3rd tier at all Junior levels regularly would be a more achieveable and projectable goal.

With astute management, we definitely have long-term small growth potential. The registration totals, available ice, league standard etc is not too dissimilar to nations like Norway and Denmark. That type of growth, the ability to produce some solid European pro league players, and compete and occassionaly have solid games with some of the bigger members, is certainly plausible and in theory, feasible.

Long-term substantial growth, however, is something that seems somewhat unattainable. It's not a sport which will recieve capital investment from olympic bodies. It has no market pennetration with the critical age groups, no serious tv presence, and resides in a market utterly dominated by one sport ; a sport which continues to grow larger and larger. The EPL isn't sustainable as it is forever, but as a juggernaut enterprise, it still has more growth left in it for a good deal of time. I find it virtually impossible to believe in my life-time (and i am not an aging chair sitter) we will ever UK hockey amongst the core elite.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Alpine

C'mon now Canada has 3 maybe 4 pro soccer teams?
TSN is buying the rights to provincial curling bonspeils. Over 1,100 curling clubs with over a million registered members. Sports networks are fighting each other for figure skating.
Here's why it's not big. No months of natural ice. It''s not pros or TV that make hockey big it's.............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYkbLB1IfeY

CFL out draws NFL head to head in Canada on TV
Hockey well..........it's Canada

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Alpine

I just gotta.........
Why hockey isn't big? Cuz they ain't got no winter.
English team at the World Pond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1tbt...eature=related

Old
11-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I just gotta.........
Why hockey isn't big? Cuz they ain't got no winter.
English team at the World Pond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1tbt...eature=related
As I have said to my Slovenian friend several times, England is the country of only one season, it gets a little bit colder in December and January, and a little bit warmer in July and August, the rest of the year is pretty much the same and it rains.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
As I have said to my Slovenian friend several times, England is the country of only one season, it gets a little bit colder in December and January, and a little bit warmer in July and August, the rest of the year is pretty much the same and it rains.
So it's not like where I live minus 30C in February and plus 30C in July.
Gawd I wonder why Canadians don't take summer sports seriously for the 3 months we don't have to wear layers of clothes
Canadian Police chase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsxV49pmnL8

Old
12-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Mathers

Quote:

In a recent article, it stated that hockey is now the 2nd most popular team sport in Europe. And it kind of makes sense. Soccer/Football takes the cake as #1 but in many countries Hockey is above or right next to soccer in popularity. Russia/Sweden/Czech/Finland/Slovakia all have hockey right up there in #3, #2 or maybe even #1.
Hockey isn't the number 2 team sport in Europe. Its the number 2 team sport in regions of Europe. For example, basketball is far more popular in southern Europe than hockey (hockey really isnt even on the radar in the south). Europe has 700 million people. Its like saying hockey is the 2nd most popular sport in North America because its the most popular sport in Canada. Its a bizarre claim.

You named 5 countries; there are 47 countries in Europe. In the majority of those, it would be generous to hockey to say that it is a niche sport.