HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Duchene for Morgan Rielly

Old
11-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Bob Barker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'd like to see Toronto become a 5-7 seed ONCE before we start talking about "perpetually" finishing there.

No offense intended, I definitely think the Leafs are moving forward and I think a 5-7 finish in the East is there for the taking in Toronto, but let's not put the wagon before the horse. Do it once, then we'll talk about doing it long-term.

For the record, if Colorado ever actually proposed this deal, the Leafs would be fools not to take it. Fills a huge need, and the price (Rielly - the #5 pick in a fairly bad draft year) is phenomenally reasonable.
I think he meant 5-7 draft position. That's how I took it. If not, I agree with you.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:16 AM
nmbr_24

Toronto would have to add. There is no way that a team would trade their #1 center for an unproven prospect.

Look at what the Leafs paid to get Kessel. The way I see it they still need to come up with another 1st and a 2nd to even come close to the kind of deal that the Avs would realistically trade Duchene for.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
O'Reilly is so overrated on these boards.

He might turn into a good player, but you guys have him pegged as an All-Star already. There's a big difference there.

No to the offer. Need more from Toronto.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

He might turn into a good player, but you guys have him pegged as an All-Star already. There's a big difference there.

Think you mean Rielly, bro.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:36 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Ah ok then, instead the Avs then offer 7th round pick, Colin Smith.

Considering how GREAT he's playing this year in JUNIOR, should be a great deal, right.

For the record, I'm one of Morgan Rielly's biggest fans and supporters, I DO believe he was the best d-man from the draft, (had him ranked #2 overall) and I firmly believe he'll be a top pairing d-man, perhaps even a 'Franchise D-man'. However, there are no guarantees that will happen and when you compare him with a kid that's already done what Duchene has done in his first 3 years as a pro and the potential he still has to develop, it's not close for now.

Call me crazy, but my belief is that when Morgan Rielly actually does start playing for the Leafs, he's going to do so well his first few years that Leaf fans will consider him untouchable...kinda like Avs fans feel about Matt Duchene!!! OMGZZ?!?!???! [well, those that understand that what you see as an 18,19,20 year old isn't necessarily the same thing that you're gonna get once a player hits 25-26 years of age lol]

I'll ask again, show me ONE player that has done what Duchene has done as an 18+19 year old (122 pts in 2 seasons) that has gone on to become a HUGE bust that couldn't put up points at that level again that wasn't due to serious injury.

There's a lot of great insight in this post. ALL of the information is there and there's absolutely nothing misleading in there at all. Bravo!
Care to argue the facts? Why has his play regressed? There are a ton of small centers that skate well and put up 50 points a year. Right now -- that is what he is.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM
birddog*

Quote:

Funny how Yakupov is a hall of famer. Duchene is an 80 points center with a 28 point season last year...but Rielly is a bum.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:55 AM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Care to argue the facts? Why has his play regressed? There are a ton of small centers that skate well and put up 50 points a year. Right now -- that is what he is.
You might want to check his injury history last year. Guy was not healthy at all in 2012.

And he did put up 55 and 67 points in his first 2 years.
After he made the team out of camp after being drafted.
He had in fact equal production to a guy named John Tavares to whom he got compared all the time.

Than he had one injury riddled year.

And now he is a small center who puts up 50 points a year?

Just keep your precious top dman prospect!! please.

I will take the 21 year old allstar who has shown what he can do in the NHL.

And I really like Rielly but fans like you make it hard for me to root for him

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Funny how Yakupov is a hall of famer. Duchene is an 80 points center with a 28 point season last year...but Rielly is a bum.
It totally makes sense. Rielly's value hit an all-time low as soon as the Leafa called his name at the draft. From that point on it was proclaimed that he was a bust and would be at best a #6D.

At least this is how it works on HFBoards.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
He was injured and came back early to try to help the team make the playoffs.

This stuff isn't hard to find out.

I'm happy our 50 point centers can get 67 points as 20 year olds. If he was a 60 point center he would be PPG.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
No thank you.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:15 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
It totally makes sense. Rielly's value hit an all-time low as soon as the Leafa called his name at the draft. From that point on it was proclaimed that he was a bust and would be at best a #6D.

At least this is how it works on HFBoards.
Sheesh, you posters with this mindset just need to get over it. You embrace this fictional "bad guy" attitude where everyone is out to get you.

Rielly is a top notch prospect, but Duchene is a former top notch prospect who is now actually pretty well established. Of course he is worth a lot more right now.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
cgf

Pretty bad for the Avs, we need a young lefty who's ready to play on the first pairing wiht EJ if we're trading Duchene and frankly there aren't many of those in this league that are worth giving up Duchene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He was injured and came back early to try to help the team make the playoffs.

This stuff isn't hard to find out.

I'm happy our 50 point centers can get 67 points as 20 year olds. If he was a 60 point center he would be PPG.
IF we're lucky some day Duchene can become a 65-70 point center and hit 90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Probably cause you have Stastny/ROR/Duchene so people view Colorado as one of the few teams with an "expendable" top centre.
Which is silly when the team finally has enough quality wingers to just roll their 3 lines equally.

Last edited by ColePens: 11-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.
cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
lets be realistic elliott and barrie dont have the upside Reilly does
Did you even read my post? I said Rielly would be the best prospect in our farm.

I am being realistic however, having two very skilled former defenders of the year in Barrie/Elliott that are both smooth-skating offensive defenders, cut from the same cloth as Reilly, does not make him more enticing but less enticing when the name Duchene comes up on the trade proposal.

We don't need Rielly in our farm, we need Duchene on our team however. Couple that with the value difference and it is a frivolous trade proposal for our team.

Offer us Rielly + Grabovski for Duchene and it might start to make some more sense, but Grabovski brings the same combination of game O'Reilly/Stastny do for our team, so once again we get the short end of the stick.

I wish people would understand that keeping our 3-centers is possible and the smart decision for our franchise given the relative lack of desire for other teams to part with the asset we need most.

Last edited by Lonewolfe2015: 11-05-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I'm a big fan of Rielly and would love to acquire him but at this stage we need to keep moving forward with our rebuild rather than backward. It also doesn't make sense to sell on Duchene at his all time low value. We need to acquire a top LD that fits with the core age of the team, not a younger, as yet unestablished RD.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post
As an Avalanche fan it pains me to trade Duchene, but Morgan Rielly is the type of player that I would really like to have on the Av's. Duchene is that first line center that could flourish in Toronto.

What do you guys/gals think?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Nah, we good.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:19 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Aves fans finally realizing their saviour Matt Duchene isn't as good as bean counter George Sherman advertised?

The kid may have put up good numbers the first two years but it was apparent he wasn't NHL ready. His poor habits finally caught up to him last year and he'll be hard pressed to ever crack 60 points again.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:21 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Aves fans finally realizing their saviour Matt Duchene isn't as good as bean counter George Sherman advertised?

The kid may have put up good numbers the first two years but it was apparent he wasn't NHL ready. His poor habits finally caught up to him last year and he'll be hard pressed to ever crack 60 points again.
You're my favorite.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
60 is quite generous, he'll be a perennial 40 pt player

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:22 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I think it's clear that Dutchy will struggle to ever match the 28 points he put up this year because he's injury prone and slow now.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Duchene is underrated because NHL doesn't track spins as a statistic.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:41 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:

We're very easily influenced by the TV.

About a month after the draft the scouts and trainers from the Leafs were interviewed by duded on TSN and they were saying something along the lines of "He's amazing. He's even better than we expected. Maybe he'll turn out to be the best player in the draft. He could be NHL ready and suit up with the Leafs for the 12/13 season."

A bunch of maybe's from a few guys who just wanted to enjoy blowing their horns. I even get sucked in by that stuff at times.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
You need to be more specific. In the AHL.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
For the record, I'm one of Morgan Rielly's biggest fans and supporters, I DO believe he was the best d-man from the draft, (had him ranked #2 overall) and I firmly believe he'll be a top pairing d-man, perhaps even a 'Franchise D-man'. However, there are no guarantees that will happen and when you compare him with a kid that's already done what Duchene has done in his first 3 years as a pro and the potential he still has to develop, it's not close for now.
Quote:
CLEARLY, that's what everyone is saying.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:49 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
I don't really see why Colorado does this, I mean they are both good players but I don't really see Colorado needing Rielly. They are a young team and I think they would rather develop players.

Having said that, if Colorado at the deadline was way out of the playoffs, and Toronto looked like they were on the cusp, or even thought they could win the cup:

Would they trade Rielly for Stastny to try and push them over the edge?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote