HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VI: The "What Comes Before Square One?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Just from talking with some people today, I'm sensing real optimism about current NHL/NHLPA talks. Could be wrong, of course. We shall see.
-JoshYohe_Trib 8:44pm via Echofon

Old
11-04-2012, 08:07 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
DFehr will conduct a regular weekly call with Exec and Negotiating Groups on Monday. Pointing to an in-person meeting with NHL on Tuesday.
-JSportsnet 9:06pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Old
11-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSG View Post
Bettman was not in the next room, he was eating dinner at the restaurant I work at (in NJ). Coincidentally I noticed progress was indeed made when Bettman was not involved, go figure haha.
I think guys like Bettman and Don Fehr are kind of the "face" of negotiations and they're there to carry the party line and keep their constituents informed and all on the same page (and direct the agenda)

When guys like Steve Fehr and Daley are meeting alone and making progress, it's cuz Bettman and Don are telling them what they can negotiate, not that those guys are blocking negotiations themselves. It's all just part of a game...S. Fehr and Daley negotiate quietly, Bettman and Don are brought out to get the fires stoked, make the headlines, and reiterate the party line when necessary.

I guess all I'm saying is that any progress being made is at the order of guys like Bettman and Don Fehr, not despite them

edit: this also isn't about egos, as much as people want to paint it that way...Don Fehr is doing what he's supposed to do, which is represent the people who hired him and to try to get them the best deal possible. If that means grandstanding or being obstinate, and the NHLPA wants him to be that way, then that's what he's going to do. They have meetings with the players to discuss what's going on and how they want to proceed, it's not like Fehr is just out there on his own like a loose cannon. Same with Bettman, though I think he's more of a jackass. Still, they're playing the roles they're designed to play, not just acting out of self interest

Old
11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Looks like an official bargaining session in NYC for #NHL #NHLPA on Tuesday.
-michaelgrange 10:23pm via Twitter for iPhone

Old
11-05-2012, 05:35 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Why do they have to announce when the two sides are meeting? Everyone waits outside the NHL office. Fehr and his staff come walking along 6th avenue. They will meet for a few hours. The media waits outside looking for an update. Fehr might say something or it will be leaked to the media. Its a funny scene. All of the media members waiting outside receive the email at the same time and then tweet the leak.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:11 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Still, they're playing the roles they're designed to play, not just acting out of self interest
To a point. I think that Bettman's actions are governed by Bettman. While he is acting in the best interest of the owners, he has more authority (only needs 8 owners to agree with him and he can fine an owner $$$ or dock draft picks) than Fehr does. That leads to such antics as being the bully (take it or leave it offers) and storming out after 10 minutes of a meeting.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
To a point. I think that Bettman's actions are governed by Bettman. While he is acting in the best interest of the owners, he has more authority (only needs 8 owners to agree with him and he can fine an owner $$$ or dock draft picks) than Fehr does. That leads to such antics as being the bully (take it or leave it offers) and storming out after 10 minutes of a meeting.
This is probably true, though I think Bettman gets a lot of backing and encouragement from the hardliners as well. Having the ability to basically put a gag order on the rest of the owners by threat of large fines is a pretty big bit of control he has that Fehr doesn't, but I do think he still more or less gets that authority at the behest of the owners and is acting in a way a controlling number want him to

Old
11-05-2012, 10:05 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Not that this is a credible source or anything but I know a guy that works within the Sabres organization who was talking about the lockout. He also does work with the Buffalo Bills and gave pretty reliable info about the NFL negotiations so take it for what its worth.

Anyway he was telling me that key people inside the Sabres organization have been told the likelihood of a season is "0%" and that both sides had been preparing for a lost season the whole time. He said to expect the entire season to be cancelled.

Anyway just thought I'd share to add to the sucky off-season we've had to deal with to this point.

Personally I kind of expected the season to be cancelled but I'll still hold out hope.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:17 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Not that this is a credible source or anything but I know a guy that works within the Sabres organization who was talking about the lockout. He also does work with the Buffalo Bills and gave pretty reliable info about the NFL negotiations so take it for what its worth.

Anyway he was telling me that key people inside the Sabres organization have been told the likelihood of a season is "0%" and that both sides had been preparing for a lost season the whole time. He said to expect the entire season to be cancelled.

Anyway just thought I'd share to add to the sucky off-season we've had to deal with to this point.

Personally I kind of expected the season to be cancelled but I'll still hold out hope.
I appreciate the info. I just find extremely hard to believe that there is 0% chance of a season. That guy isn't in on those closed door meetings. It's understandable for there to be doubt but 0% chance is a little egregious.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

"@ChuckGormleyCSN: #Caps C Jay Beagle says NHLPA conference call tonight to discuss weekend meeting between Steve Fehr and Bill Daly."

Old
11-05-2012, 10:42 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
I've been disappointed too many times already to be optimistic at this point...

Old
11-05-2012, 11:10 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Even if there is a season, there's already a black eye with the Winter Classic gone. This one would have been incredible too. What a shame.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
JDMSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post

With talks going on over the weekend, I think we all became a little more optimistic, clinging to that last shred of hope that maybe we will still see hockey this year. But at this point if in fact the season is cancelled, I would not be surprised. The WC was cancelled, I understand it had to do with promoting the event and payments etc., but I feel like with that out of the way its just a matter of time before the entire season gets axed.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

@RobRossi_Trib: Adams: more optimism than last week, but 'I don't think we're to the point where this gets done in 24 hours.' #lockout #nhlpa #NHL

Pens beat writer.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:20 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

@DarrenDreger: I highly doubt we will hear much post-mtng reax from either side Tues. Less is more as talks enter a very critical phase.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:22 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Not done in 24 hours. Both sides have so much to lose. From: @RobRossi_Trib
Sent: Nov 5, 2012 12:08p

Adams: more optimism than last week, but 'I don't think we're to the point where this gets done in 24 hours.' #lockout #nhlpa #NHL

sent via Twitter for Android
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/RobRossi_Trib/sta...00917208600576

Old
11-05-2012, 11:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Nov 5, 2012 12:19p

I highly doubt we will hear much post-mtng reax from either side Tues. Less is more as talks enter a very critical phase.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/stat...03634274545664

Old
11-05-2012, 11:32 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Fehrs have pulled all nighters in the past to get a new CBA done. Its up to the owners to show how badly they want a deal. They can't get everything they want. They will get 50-50 at some point in the CBA. Phased in with less escrow. The majority of the make whole funded by the NHL. A cap on escrow. They all serve the same purpose. The dummy contracts are 1A right after the HRR. Players haven't shown any movement so far there because the NHL also wants other contracts/systems changes.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Nov 5, 2012 12:27p

Cleary optimistic about direction of meetings and negotiations

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/tkulfan/status/265505677357760512

Old
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
nevesis

Rumor has it, Henrik is on his way back to New York from Sweden...

Old
11-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Levitate

I wonder if he ships his dog back and forth (I know some countries have quarantine procedures?). Maybe he just misses his dog and wants to visit

Old
11-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
I wonder if he ships his dog back and forth (I know some countries have quarantine procedures?). Maybe he just misses his dog and wants to visit
I think he's coming to New York to help with Sandy relief efforts. Richards just flew in from Tampa to help out "in any way he can" with Sandy.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
@DarrenDreger: I highly doubt we will hear much post-mtng reax from either side Tues. Less is more as talks enter a very critical phase.
Lets hope this is true. The leaking and the sniping have hurt these negotiations from the start.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
nevesis

Quote:
I believe he took his dog with him to Sweden last month...

Old
11-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Giacomin

Was talking to a friend of mine who works for the Islanders and still talks to Mike Milbury. He told me that Milbury told him last night that the 2 sides are still far apart and not to expect a deal soon. Not the best source but I am sure Milbury has more information than most.

Closed Thread