HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver-Montreal-Chicago

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
no wonder the OP is VAN Fan...

They make out like bandits. BTW Chi does not want to trade Kane for Price

Old
11-05-2012, 02:12 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I don't know what to think about this deal.

I think on paper all teams should take this trade.

Chicago can do without Kane. They've still got enough offence all around to be a threat and they finally get a stud of a goalie. Honestly I don't think Price seemed all that happy in Montreal last year. He wants to be on a team that's a winner now. I don't think Raymond would mind the move to Chicago, so I think the players going to this team would be happy.

Montreal is getting an established French goalie and a stud of a winger who might end up playing center. One could question whether or not he'd be happy living in Quebec/Canada. If he's fine with the move Montreal is easily a better team now. I kinda think they should be able to take Thrower or the 2nd rounder out of the equation.

Vancouver should be happy, but they won't be overly excited over this deal. Essentially they're getting a sturdy 2nd line power forward who's had chemistry issues. (In Edmonton and he had some bad moments at times in Carolina too.) At the same time Cole WANTS to be in Montreal. It's his favourite city to play in. Nonetheless he's coming off of an incredible season while playing on a horrible team. On Vancouver Cole could be a beast on either of Vancouver's top 3 lines. He's definitely the kind of guy I'd like going deep into the playoffs. Emery for a backup is fine. If I'm Vancouver and I get to choose whether Montreal coughs up the 2nd rounder or thrower, I think I'd rather have the 2nd rounder. I don't like Thrower's size. I'm kinda convinced he'll be playing most of his career in Europe or the AHL. Guess Vancouver would also be happy with the cap space they're saving in this deal.

Good proposal. When I saw Montreal/Vancouver/Chicago I thought this was going to be something to laugh at, but I was wrong. Well done.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:37 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Well then this is one of the rare occasions where everyone would prefer the inferior player.

Keep laughing, I'll stick with the guy who has put up a better save% every year that Price has been a starter despite his team allowing more "chances" which results in his team getting into the playoffs. Also, as recently as 2008 (Mats Sundin saga) Habs fans have been saying that their team is better than the Canucks so there is really no point in arguing that Luongo's stats have been bolstered by a better team - his team is better because it gets better goaltending.

The idea that Price would have won the Cup despite Vancouver only scoring 8 goals in 7 games against Boston is just evidence that HFBoards is a little biased right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Vancouver should be happy, but they won't be overly excited over this deal. Essentially they're getting a sturdy 2nd line power forward who's had chemistry issues. (In Edmonton and he had some bad moments at times in Carolina too.) At the same time Cole WANTS to be in Montreal. It's his favourite city to play in.
I wonder if Montreal would be happier to trade Plekanec rather than Cole given Cole's amazing output last season. I honestly don't see Cole meshing well with Kesler and Booth or with the nobody that currently occupies the 3rd line centre spot.

Last edited by DJOpus: 11-05-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old
11-05-2012, 04:48 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
The Habs fans in this thread are hilarious. If you subtract age and contracts Luongo is nowhere near a downgrade to Price, the fact of the matter is Luongo has outperformed Price every year since Price took over the starting job in Montreal. I agree when you factor in age and contract yes Price is much more valuable, but based on skill level alone Lu is juat as good if not better.
Well this is the real world and age and contracts do count so because we do live in the real world Price >> Luongo.
There's no chance we are trading Price just to replace him with Luongo and his ridicules contract.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:56 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Fun thread about a fun proposal.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:31 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Honestly I don't think Price seemed all that happy in Montreal last year. He wants to be on a team that's a winner now.
If Price is not happy with Montreal, then why would he sign that long-term contract with the Habs?

The downgrade of Price to Luongo is not worth the upgrade to Kane and the loss of Thrower, Collberg and the 2nd round pick. Kane would be eaten alive in Montreal given his immaturity.

Plus, why write off Thrower? His size? He's built like a tank. The only issue Thrower has is his discipline on the ice and his temper. Size is not an issue with Thrower. Never write off an 18 year old.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:37 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

I wonder if Montreal would be happier to trade Plekanec rather than Cole given Cole's amazing output last season. I honestly don't see Cole meshing well with Kesler and Booth or with the nobody that currently occupies the 3rd line centre spot.
Well Plekanec is much more needed at center IMO. In a few years they'll have Galenchuk(sp?) and they should be in better shape at center.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:50 AM
palindrom

Quote:
And if Erik Cole is considered an elite winger, Alex Burrows should as well. Burrows has actually consistently scored at the 30 goal pace while Cole has done it 1
Can you define "Consistently scored at the 30 goal pace"

Whatever the way i look at it, Cole had two 30 (+) goals season while burrows had only one.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
They get an elite winger, an elite goaltender(which together would likely guarantee them making the playoffs for the forseeable future).

You also get a top goaltending prospect for your future. It sets the Habs up for now and later.
montreal has made the playoffs EVERY year since the lockout (save last year) - they had a fluke year last year and were ravaged by injuries. they have elite young players in goal, on the wing and on D and a top 10 farm system, just drafted a kid named Galchenyuk AND have 4 of the top 60 draft picks next summer. they are not 5-10 years away from contending

Old
11-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
The Habs fans in this thread are hilarious. If you subtract age and contracts Luongo is nowhere near a downgrade to Price, the fact of the matter is Luongo has outperformed Price every year since Price took over the starting job in Montreal. I agree when you factor in age and contract yes Price is much more valuable, but based on skill level alone Lu is juat as good if not better.
perfect than 'Lu' can beat out Schneider this year and you can keep both

Old
11-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
What about Kane for Price then Pacioretty for Schneider?
how about no? we'll keep our goalie and while kane has higher end skill, maxpac did score 30+ goals and has the size we desperately need on the wing

Old
11-05-2012, 08:44 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Honestly I don't think Price seemed all that happy in Montreal last year. He wants to be on a team that's a winner now.
He's 25, he has 15 years to win a Cup with Montreal. And why would we have signed a long term deal if he wasn't happy here

Old
11-05-2012, 09:29 AM
NYVanfan

No desire to buy high on Cole, who turns 34 tomorrow and has 3 more years at $4.5M.
Although he's had 2 healthy years, I wouldn't bank on that continuing, given age and track record.

Would sooner trade Luo for futures and clear up the cap space.

We'll see what Luongo returns, but I can certainly understand the hater POV that we'd be lucky to get something like this.

Last edited by NYVanfan: 11-05-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old
11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I know right! He was only in the top 15 players for goals scored in the league and beat every canuck by atleast 5.

I like jokes too!
Ovechkin is an elite winger. Hossa is an elite winger. D. Sedin is an elite winger. Etc.

Erik Cole, however, is not, and that is obvious.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Ovechkin is an elite winger. Hossa is an elite winger. D. Sedin is an elite winger. Etc.

Erik Cole, however, is not, and that is obvious.

I agree, he isnt an elite forward. However he is a 35 goal guy for the Habs and a great leader and mentor for the young guys. There is no way the Habs let him go and certainly not in a deal like the one the OP came up with.

IMO Luongo can still be effective in the NHL but I think some of you Canuck fans will be shocked at how little you get in return for him.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:47 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I agree, he isnt an elite forward. However he is a 35 goal guy for the Habs and a great leader and mentor for the young guys. There is no way the Habs let him go and certainly not in a deal like the one the OP came up with.

IMO Luongo can still be effective in the NHL but I think some of you Canuck fans will be shocked at how little you get in return for him.
cole = 'great leader & mentor'
luongo = 'can still be effective'
btw, cole's older, and goalies typically play for longer
pretty glaring bias, no?

Old
11-05-2012, 10:01 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
pretty glaring bias, no?
Goalies never get a good return though so pointless.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
If Price is not happy with Montreal, then why would he sign that long-term contract with the Habs?

The downgrade of Price to Luongo is not worth the upgrade to Kane and the loss of Thrower, Collberg and the 2nd round pick. Kane would be eaten alive in Montreal given his immaturity.

Plus, why write off Thrower? His size? He's built like a tank. The only issue Thrower has is his discipline on the ice and his temper. Size is not an issue with Thrower. Never write off an 18 year old.
I didn't say that price wanted to leave Montreal. He vented his frustration with being on a losing team. I wouldn't pick the Habs for being a shoe-in to be in the playoff race next year, either, so I'm sure we'll hear him mention it again next season.

Thrower is 6 feet tall. Unless he REALLY fills out and tops out at around 220 pounds he's not going to be pushing guys around like he is in the juniors. If he was 6"2 he probably would've gone 15th-20th overall, but that's not the case. It was due to his height that he dropped so far in the draft. Unless he's Chris Chelios I'm betting against him.

And I didn't say write off Thrower. I just said that if I'm Vancouver and I've got a choice between a 2nd rounder and thrower, I take the 2nd rounder.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:18 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
He's 25, he has 15 years to win a Cup with Montreal. And why would we have signed a long term deal if he wasn't happy here

Jesus you people really love to just read things the way you want them to appear.

Carey Price wasn't happy in Montreal last year.

That doesn't mean that he's ready to pull a Danny Heatly.

It means that he expects management to get their **** together and put a competitive team in front of him so that he's got a chance to win.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:20 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
pretty glaring bias, no?
No

One had a career year and one lost his job. One has 2 years left on his deal while the other is signed for another 10 years.

I'll let you figure out who is who.

Last edited by IceDaddy: 11-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

Jesus you people really love to just read things the way you want them to appear.

Carey Price wasn't happy in Montreal last year.

That doesn't mean that he's ready to pull a Danny Heatly.

It means that he expects management to get their **** together and put a competitive team in front of him so that he's got a chance to win.
the team was crap, every player was not happy that the team was playing s badly.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
the team was crap, every player was not happy that the team was playing s badly.
Agreed. If Edmonton finishes last for another few years in a row I'm sure we'll start hearing our young guys telling the press they're not happy, as well, but I think there's a lot more pressure on Price in Montreal.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Agreed. If Edmonton finishes last for another few years in a row I'm sure we'll start hearing our young guys telling the press they're not happy, as well, but I think there's a lot more pressure on Price in Montreal
Thats just the nature of the beast in Montreal, especially being a goalie. But so far Price has shown ZERO evidence of cracking under the pressure. In fact he seems to thrive on it.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
You're replacing Cole with Kane and Price with Luongo and Lack as a future replacement.

How does that make you worse?

34 year old 2nd line winger, a 2nd, and a recent 2nd round pick?
34-year old 1st line winger (60 points is first line material in this league), a 2nd rounder, and a guy we got in the first round that Timmins' had as a 1st round selection.

Why would we trade them all for Luongo, when we have Price for the next bunch of years locked up already?

It just makes no sense from a Habs perspective. It kills our depth going forward, IMO.

Not to mention, does the salary cap even work?

Old
11-05-2012, 10:34 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
No

One had a career year and one lost his job. One has 2 years left on his deal while the other is signed for another 10 years.

I'll let you figure out who is who.
more spin

Thomas lost his job too ...remember how that turned out?

10 years with retirement outs = a valuable contract, esp given the likes of Roloson, Brodeur, Hasek, Thomas and others on a fairly healthy list of keepers who were effective into their late 30s at least. And before you argue that Luo is not the same, compare career #s...

And yes, Cole did have a career year. So does that mean that at 34 that's the new normal for an otherwise oft-injured forward?

Closed Thread