HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
I don't know what to make of all this, they knew for so long there was issues but they kept him around anyway? If they were that mad and knew they wanted him gone why although the 9/12/12 trade?

He wants to be GM of TOR, is he not under contract one more year? Just pay him and don't allow him to be.

Negotiation list of QB's be released an issue, why? I've heard names before being released such as Vince Young on MTL list. Doesn't every team know everyone's list? Not sure what the issue is.

Family living in Regina? Not sure that I really care. As jadeddog mentions funny the media only makes a big deal out of it now. Was obvious they didn't like him so why not throw him under the bus earlier? They really had no issue calling Rhodes out this weekend, so what's the difference.

I just hope we don't start losing free agents because of this. The fact that no one has been contacted about extensions is quite concerning.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:46 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 500
Lol At the online message board threats. Im starting to think that his head is messed.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:55 AM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Negotiation list of QB's be released an issue, why? I've heard names before being released such as Vince Young on MTL list. Doesn't every team know everyone's list? Not sure what the issue is.
No - teams don't know who is on what teams negotiation lists, and it puts the Esks in a bad position because...

"If a player listed in the story is out of college and pursuing pro opportunities — for example, G.J. Kinne, who is with the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League, or Dennis Dixon, currently on the Baltimore Ravens’ practice roster in the National Football League — were to become free agents and notified the Eskimos they would like to play in the CFL, Edmonton would have just 10 days to make a contract offer. If that didn’t happen, the player would come off Edmonton’s negotiation list and be fair game for the other seven teams in the league"

Source: Eskimos GM Tillman leaves team in vulnerable position

Old
11-05-2012, 09:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
No - teams don't know who is on what teams negotiation lists, and it puts the Esks in a bad position because...

"If a player listed in the story is out of college and pursuing pro opportunities — for example, G.J. Kinne, who is with the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League, or Dennis Dixon, currently on the Baltimore Ravens’ practice roster in the National Football League — were to become free agents and notified the Eskimos they would like to play in the CFL, Edmonton would have just 10 days to make a contract offer. If that didn’t happen, the player would come off Edmonton’s negotiation list and be fair game for the other seven teams in the league"

Source: Eskimos GM Tillman leaves team in vulnerable position
How don't they know? If you want a player and someone else has him then what?

Old
11-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
Lol At the online message board threats. Im starting to think that his head is messed.
lol yeah that is such a horrible excuse

Old
11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

seriously, who CHOOSES to live in Regina?

Old
11-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/0...ving-in-regina

Is he saying Esksfans or whatever was the reason he stayed in Regina? Come on man.
I'm not too familiar with that messageboard (I didn't post there) or of the nature of threats made there or anywhere.

But I'm having trouble understanding the reaction. Why wouldn't a public figure be concerned about death threats or whatever it was?

Something here I'm not getting.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:46 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
What's this about? Did someone here threaten Tillman?

Old
11-05-2012, 10:47 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
What's this about? Did someone here threaten Tillman?
It was eskfans or riderfans

Old
11-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Delorean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not too familiar with that messageboard (I didn't post there) or of the nature of threats made there or anywhere.

But I'm having trouble understanding the reaction. Why wouldn't a public figure be concerned about death threats or whatever it was?

Wherever it came from (IF it came from anywhere), it didn't come from EsksFans. There was a lot of childish insults and name calling on there but nothing that was remotely a death threat.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorean View Post
Wherever it came from (IF it came from anywhere), it didn't come from EsksFans. There was a lot of childish insults and name calling on there but nothing that was remotely a death threat.
How would you know that. From what I'd heard its a moderated board and comments like that tend to get erased quickly.
Doesn't mean that they didn't occur.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
glad I'm old enough to remember when the Eskimos were the envy of the league in the fact form the top down, nobody ran a team better and more professionally.
~sigh~ the good old days

unrelated, in the paper it said until 1974 the west teams played 16 games and the east teams played only 14. I googled the 1971 standings, just as an example, as it's true.
any idea how this came to be? makes no sense. seems the CFL has has stupid thnigs going on for many years.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
seriously, who CHOOSES to live in Regina?
Don't start that stuff please. Do you appreciate it when someone comes out with Deadmonton, who CHOOSES to live there?

Old
11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Delorean

Quote:
How would you know that. From what I'd heard its a moderated board and comments like that tend to get erased quickly.
Doesn't mean that they didn't occur.
From what I know if they try to delete a thread or post it gets saved into an archive folder where only the mods can see it. One of them who I trust the word of (who didn't get into all the mud slinging) says he couldn't find any such threat. I'll take him for his word on that.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorean View Post
True, but from what I know if they try to delete a thread or post it gets saved into an archive folder where only the mods can see it. One of them who I trust the word of (who didn't get into all the mud slinging) says he couldn't find any such threat. I'll take him for his word on that.
Thats interesting but to the best of my knowledge this doesn't occur here. (maybe modmins know more about this here).

If somebody says they, or their family were threatened, I'd tend to take them at their word.

I remember when the Paul McCallum stuff came out people at first were saying it was silly, until they realized his actual residence was being targeted.

If thats happening to somebody, anybody, its some pretty scary ****.

Theres enough nutbags that reside here too.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Thats interesting but to the best of my knowledge this doesn't occur here. (maybe modmins know more about this here).

If somebody says they, or their family were threatened, I'd tend to take them at their word.

I remember when the Paul McCallum stuff came out people at first were saying it was silly, until they realized his actual residence was being targeted.

If thats happening to somebody, anybody, its some pretty scary ****.

Theres enough nutbags that reside here too.
You were a mod here Replacement. You should know that, while some do have the ability to permanently delete posts and threads, normally they are left in a "soft-delete" status where they can still be seen by mods/admins charged with overseeing those forums.

I can say I have seen no threats against Tillman here. Now that could be bad memory on my part, but that kind of thing would stand out.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You were a mod here Replacement. You should know that, while some do have the ability to permanently delete posts and threads, normally they are left in a "soft-delete" status where they can still be seen by mods/admins charged with overseeing those forums.

I can say I have seen no threats against Tillman here. Now that could be bad memory on my part, but that kind of thing would stand out.
Whoops, forgot. You would be surprised what I can manage to forget in a couple years., or hell, a couple days..

Anyway, wasn't suggesting anything took place here just that an average reader wouldn't necessarily see any of it if it did.

Also, that there seems to be a huge difference in perception of what constitutes a threatening comment depending on if the person is the focal point for that comment. People tend to downplay comments that are not directed specifically at them. Which also results in people being more likely to direct threatening comments at others and not fully realize the ramifications of that unless they've received the same in the past.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:

Well the way I see it (and forgive me as this will sound a little insensitive), if threats were posted on an online message board, he has every right to take them seriously as they involve his families well being. No argument from me.

I'm just not sure how serious he took them. If they were as serious as he indicates, then I'm surprised he didn't pursue police and legal action. Death threats against any persons family isn't right, no matter how passionate someone is. If they do exist(I certainly haven't heard or seen any reported by local news outlets) then Tillman absolutely did the right thing. I also feel he should've pursued police action.

It just feel its possible that he mentioned this as a permanent reason to stay in Regina. Again I know this sounds insensitive and I do apologize for that, but it just seems its an excuse for him to stay in Regina. Certainly his families well being comes first in all this though. Again I could very well be wrong, but I guess we'll never know.

11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Whoops, forgot. You would be surprised what I can manage to forget in a couple years., or hell, a couple days..

Anyway, wasn't suggesting anything took place here just that an average reader wouldn't necessarily see any of it if it did.

Also, that there seems to be a huge difference in perception of what constitutes a threatening comment depending on if the person is the focal point for that comment. People tend to downplay comments that are not directed specifically at them. Which also results in people being more likely to direct threatening comments at others and not fully realize the ramifications of that unless they've received the same in the past.
All valid points. But with no evidence to the contrary, perhaps we should drop the Tillman getting threatened discussion. If any evidence comes up then it's fair game. Until then it's just speculation.

So how does everyone like our chances against TO? Their QB is much better than ours, but their defense is much worse. I guess we'll see what happens, but I am cautiously optimistic. So long as we don't start Joseph, which we probably will.

I will say that losing to the Stamps on the last game was a really good thing. I am much happier having to try to go through the East than the West.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well the way I see it (and forgive me as this will sound a little insensitive), if threats were posted on an online message board, he has every right to take them seriously as they involve his families well being. No argument from me.

I'm just not sure how serious he took them. If they were as serious as he indicates, then I'm surprised he didn't pursue police and legal action. Death threats against any persons family isn't right, no matter how passionate someone is. If they do exist(I certainly haven't heard or seen any reported by local news outlets) then Tillman absolutely did the right thing. I also feel he should've pursued police action.

It just feel its possible that he mentioned this as a permanent reason to stay in Regina. Again I know this sounds insensitive and I do apologize for that, but it just seems its an excuse for him to stay in Regina. Certainly his families well being comes first in all this though. Again I could very well be wrong, but I guess we'll never know.
Yeah, I kinda disagree. If actual threats are made by an acquaintance, someone you know, its easy to know how to take it and how to deal with it. When threats are made against a public figure through any media its a much more disquieting phenomenon leaving the individual with free floating fear, looking at every shadow, wondering who it could be, not feeling safe in public, etc. This phenomenon is well known in Hollywood and anybody its happened to tends to be terrified by it. Its the unknown nature of an anonymous threat that makes it more terrifying.

The devil you know is of course threatening, but knowing you can take action(s) involving known threatening persons gives some sense of relief. Also that the threat is isolated to person(s).

Just as a sidenote I'm a fervent critic of online shaming behavior and such as what occurred after the Vancouver riots. With the online attacking component being arguably worse then what it purported to be reacting to.

Online threats are imo an epidemic that requires better answers. For some reason behaviors that would not be tolerated in person are often tolerated online and with a notion that what happens online never really hurts anybody. Until it does..again and again and again.

Threats are threats. Regardless of source.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda disagree. If actual threats are made by an acquaintance, someone you know, its easy to know how to take it and how to deal with it. When threats are made against a public figure through any media its a much more disquieting phenomenon leaving the individual with free floating fear, looking at every shadow, wondering who it could be, not feeling safe in public, etc. This phenomenon is well known in Hollywood and anybody its happened to tends to be terrified by it. Its the unknown nature of an anonymous threat that makes it more terrifying.

The devil you know is of course threatening, but knowing you can take action(s) involving known threatening persons gives some sense of relief. Also that the threat is isolated to person(s).

Just as a sidenote I'm a fervent critic of online shaming behavior and such as what occurred after the Vancouver riots. With the online attacking component being arguably worse then what it purported to be reacting to.

Online threats are imo an epidemic that requires better answers. For some reason behaviors that would not be tolerated in person are often tolerated online and with a notion that what happens online never really hurts anybody. Until it does..again and again and again.

Threats are threats. Regardless of source.
I dunno. To me , its just REEKS of an incredibly convinient excuse, one of which has NEVER been mentioned or alluded to before.
So his family stays in a community where he did his dirty deed, & he/his family is getting threats from the one where it didnt occur ,implicitly getting a free pass from Regina.
Makes no sense. None.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Good points Replacement, i guess we will never know.

Thinking about the Toronto game, which team do you guys think has the better O-line?

I think its fair to say we have the better D-line, similar secondary, better LB core, thus overall better D.

How about running game and WRs? Obviously QB is a fair advantage to them.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
I dunno. To me , its just REEKS of an incredibly convinient excuse, one of which has NEVER been mentioned or alluded to before.
So his family stays in a community where he did his dirty deed, & he/his family is getting threats from the one where it didnt occur ,implicitly getting a free pass from Regina.
Makes no sense. None.
Yeah, I'm playing devils advocate and just trying to look at the other pov. Who knows what happened or how any of us would react.

I just think theres a tendency for us to take it casually and not seriously if its happening to somebody else.

Mrs Tillman had made comments that are interesting before and that she passionately wished that Tillman had not traded RR because it basically precluded what Tillmans tenure would be like here. It was interesting that she disagreed with the RR decision publicly and on behalf of her husband and family. She wished that he hadn't made that move due to his ongoing reputation.

Anyway, a strange mess. Maybe better that its over.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Thinking about the Toronto game, which team do you guys think has the better O-line?

I think its fair to say we have the better D-line, similar secondary, better LB core, thus overall better D.

I like our running more if it was taking place on Commonwealth frozen turf. Too bad that the Toronto field will be in pristine shape and with no weather elements whatsoever.

With a few RB's we could reall pound the ball in a badweather game.

But Toronto I think has the better Oline. RR would be getting killed here again with the protection we've seen in most of the games. Also the degree of line penalties has been atrocious. We're dealing with way too many second and long situations.

One thing I'll say, the receivers need to stop dropping the ball. You know who you are Henry, Carter, Coohoern, McCarty. We had 4 dropped passes in the last game of perfectly thrown balls right in the numbers. Inexcusable for pro receivers. There needs to be a whole lot more focus and better concentration in the first half.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:44 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

It's Ricky Ray, we'll destroy them. Back to the topic everyone wants to talks about.

Closed Thread