HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Swedes in the AHL

Old
10-27-2012, 04:36 AM
Hockeyfrilla

vCash: 500
the WJC eligible kids seems to do pretty good in AHL.

Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:20 AM
joe89

You forgot Rask there on the scoreboard.

Overall good offensive starts for the D's.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:50 AM
SurMartin

Tim Erixon +6 in Springfields 10-2 win vs Conneticut. 1+3 and first star. Good game against his former team.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Might expect more points from silfverberg+zibanejad duo

Old
11-05-2012, 07:31 AM
joe89

Almqvist had a breakthrough weekend. Put up points, had a lot of icetime and generally was more confident.

Lindholm was very good in the game I watched and terrific for an 18yo.

Adam Larsson looked exacly like an NHL D-man playing in the AHL. He also must've played like 4 of 5 mins in OT in the game I watched.

Expected more from the Senators and Islanders Swedes.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:07 AM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Almqvist had a breakthrough weekend. Put up points, had a lot of icetime and generally was more confident.

Lindholm was very good in the game I watched and terrific for an 18yo.

Adam Larsson looked exacly like an NHL D-man playing in the AHL. He also must've played like 4 of 5 mins in OT in the game I watched.

Expected more from the Senators and Islanders Swedes.
Josefsson looks extremly good as well, but I had expected more from Tedenby. Albany is pretty awful though, goalscoring is virtually nonexistent.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
ElHefe

Alot of swedish prospects have floped big time in the big league and also in AHL this season. That's truly ashame and I have to admit being a bit disappointed. Players like Hedman, Pääjärvi and Tedenby has not reached their potential. At least not yet. What do you guys think is the biggest reason for this? Is it a lack of skill or perhaps something else?

ElHefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
Alot of swedish prospects have floped big time in the big league
name all of these prospects.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:41 AM
ElHefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
name all of these prospects.
Backlund
Gustafson
Tedenby
Hedman
Persson
Pääjärvi
Josefson
Lander
Klingberg

Just a few names there.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Alot of swedish prospects have floped big time in the big league and also in AHL this season. That's truly ashame and I have to admit being a bit disappointed. Players like Hedman, Pääjärvi and Tedenby has not reached their potential. At least not yet. What do you guys think is the biggest reason for this? Is it a lack of skill or perhaps something else?
Players leaving too early is a problem. None of the players you mentioned were highly productive players in the SEL when they left. They were all decent players but they have to be better than that to establish themselves in the NHL. Hedman has not really disappointed yet though, he is the #1 D in Tampa. Points will come once he gets PP time.

There are also quite a few guys like Backlund, Markström and Josefsson who has been battling injuries.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:00 AM
ElHefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
Players leaving too early is a problem.
I see a point there. When you look at the situation in Finland, our most promising prospects have instead stayed in FEL for at least a season or two to develop physically and mentally. Now we are finally getting results in NA too when guys like Granlund and Vatanen have showed well in their AHL-teams. I think it is important to be productive or even dominate in an european professional leagues before flying over the atlantic-sea. Afterall there is a very high competition in NHL.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:07 AM
joe89

A couple of guys I think will need to have good seasons are Tedenby and Rödin. Guys like Peter Andersson and Wännström are doomed from the start, but they're welcome to surprise.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
A couple of guys I think will need to have good seasons are Tedenby and Rödin. Guys like Peter Andersson and Wännström are doomed from the start, but they're welcome to surprise.
Rundblad will also have to start showing more promise with his defensive play. I've stopped watching Portland games because it makes me so annoyed to see his non-progress. Well actually his decline.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
SChan*

Quote:
How can you talk about a flop 8 games into the season?

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:19 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurMartin View Post
Rundblad will also have to start showing more promise with his defensive play. I've stopped watching Portland games because it makes me so annoyed to see his non-progress. Well actually his decline.
That's too bad but with his offensive upside he will continue to get chances.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
ElHefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snes94 View Post
How can you talk about a flop 8 games into the season?
How can you understand my question so wrongly?

Old
11-05-2012, 01:29 PM
SChan*

Quote:
How can you understand my question so wrongly?
So wrongly? You need to go back to English class.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:18 PM
sg58

Quote:
So wrongly? You need to go back to English class.
Please, you understood what the guy meant.

I don't know how you can consider that to be many flops, it's nothing unusual about prospects not living up to the hype. The average player you get out of a player in the 4-8 range (made the study for Zibanejad purposes a couple of weeks back) is something along Mike Fisher's quality, not necessarily a first liner. Nearly half of the players picked at his spot will bust completely or be journeymen bottom-6 players.

Not surprised at all about Hedman, Pääjärvi, Klingberg, Gustafson or Zibanejad not living up to the ridiculous expectations they were labeled with.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:32 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Please, you understood what the guy meant.
Please, he is talking about players being flops 8 games into this season. He is a troll.

Silfverberg for example, had a real slow start in the SEL last season, but when he got some confidence he ended with a monstrous last half.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:58 PM
sg58

Quote:
Please, he is talking about players being flops 8 games into this season. He is a troll.

Silfverberg for example, had a real slow start in the SEL last season, but when he got some confidence he ended with a monstrous last half.
Yeah, it's obviously too early to call the season disappointing but we can always analyze those games we have to work with. Often, the answer will be to give it time, but sometimes you can see things even over 8 or 15 or heck, even 1 game that is cause for major concern or major optimism.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Yeah, it's obviously too early to call the season disappointing but we can always analyze those games we have to work with. Often, the answer will be to give it time, but sometimes you can see things even over 8 or 15 or heck, even 1 game that is cause for major concern or major optimism.
I think that the AHL is a tough adjustment period for many swedes. They're not used to poor transportation during long travels, several brawls that breaks up the flow of the game, crazy scheduling like 3 games in 3 nights or fans that rather eat snacks than watch hockey etc etc.

in some ways the AHL is a real crappy league and are probably testing the mental ability of the swedish players that are comfortable with the safe SEL.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:11 PM
ElHefe

Quote:
I think guys like Backlund, Hedman and Pääjärvi has played in professional leagues more than 8 games.

But I don't want to sound too negative, there are alot of good examples of proven prospects such as Karlsson who is one of the best offensive dmen in the world right now or Bäckström who has been the best center in Washington for some time already. It's just that there have been alot of highly hyped swedish prospects who've been drafted high and not lived up the hype:

Hedman-> next Pronger
Pääjärvi-> next Forsberg etc.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
SChan*

pääjärvi did real good in his teenage years, it is just that his development suddenly came to an abrupt end, and now he is going backwards.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
sg58

Quote:
I think guys like Backlund, Hedman and Pääjärvi has played in professional leagues more than 8 games.

But I don't want to sound too negative, there are alot of good examples of proven prospects such as Karlsson who is one of the best offensive dmen in the world right now or Bäckström who has been the best center in Washington for some time already. It's just that there have been alot of highly hyped swedish prospects who've been drafted high and not lived up the hype:

Hedman-> next Pronger
Pääjärvi-> next Forsberg etc.
But if you actually believed they would be, well..

Old
11-05-2012, 03:23 PM
SChan*

Hedman is a bit of a mystery to me. He did light up SEL and looked real good when he was like 18. In the last world champs he played real poor and it seem he also has gone backwards.