HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
So I went to my first open hockey on Saturday and it was a learning experience. I clearly need to learn skating far better. Almost figured out how to stop reliably, but skating backwards is a disaster. To make things even better, there were like 30 people of which 27 were high school kids who tried to take on the team by themselves every time and once they realized I don't know how to skate properly kept shoving me off balance. My goal is now to improve and destroy them on defense. Crazy good workout though. Muscle aches all over.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:20 PM
SexyJoffreyLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
So I went to my first open hockey on Saturday and it was a learning experience. I clearly need to learn skating far better. Almost figured out how to stop reliably, but skating backwards is a disaster. To make things even better, there were like 30 people of which 27 were high school kids who tried to take on the team by themselves every time and once they realized I don't know how to skate properly kept shoving me off balance. My goal is now to improve and destroy them on defense. Crazy good workout though. Muscle aches all over.
rofl i had a similar experience on friday. Just keep on working and improving

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Went to a clinic on Thursday, which was great fun. It wasn't quite as instructional as I hoped, but a good practice with a coach and structure.

Things I learned: Need to skate better, stretch more (pulled a muscle in belly/hip twice now), build core strength. I also think I have a very good feel for passing the puck accurately and softly, which gives me some hope. Vacation up next and then some classes starting in September which will hopefully elevate my level of play enough to join a league soonish.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Went to a clinic on Thursday, which was great fun. It wasn't quite as instructional as I hoped, but a good practice with a coach and structure.

Things I learned: Need to skate better, stretch more (pulled a muscle in belly/hip twice now), build core strength. I also think I have a very good feel for passing the puck accurately and softly, which gives me some hope. Vacation up next and then some classes starting in September which will hopefully elevate my level of play enough to join a league soonish.
Rather than just doing sit-ups, I'd work on core stabilization. A good way to build a strong core is doing free squats, planks, back extensions and ab exercise with a weighted ball.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:37 PM
rp2323

Quite excited! Signed up for fall season today. Will be my first real game experience after 20 or so power skating sessions, 10 minute scrimmages etc... and a bunch of outdoor ice time on my own.

Anyone have experience joining a team / league as a single? Sure hoping I get in with a good group of patient guys! Guess it is all good as long as you put in a solid effort and try to continually improve. Right?

rp2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:56 PM
do0glas

Played my 4th game today. Just a drop in. Focused on being in good positions, and didn't worry at all about trying to score. I've gotten garbage goals but had horrible games so far. It was definitely my best game so far, I was challenging the puck, getting in on some good forechecks, and overall keeping the puck better and passing better. I also doubled my shot totals, albeit off target but it indicates I'm skating to the right spots now.

I forgot to sharpen my skates, so I was actually less effective than I could've been...but it was a blast!

Ps: do ppl in drop ins tend not to try to cycle the puck? Many times I was getting closed off on the entry, so I'd wrap it, but everyone is crashing the net lol.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:31 PM
CGNY87

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Ps: do ppl in drop ins tend not to try to cycle the puck? Many times I was getting closed off on the entry, so I'd wrap it, but everyone is crashing the net lol.

Yea LOL. For pickup games everyone wants a goal so they crash the front of the net for a rebound or back door tap in. No one wants the assist from behind the net

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:47 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGNY87 View Post
Yea LOL. For pickup games everyone wants a goal so they crash the front of the net for a rebound or back door tap in. No one wants the assist from behind the net
I find the best strategy for most pick up games is just to have a guy with a good snap shot or cannon to fire at the goal, have a guy ready to get a rebound off the boards and some ready to get one at the goal. Just pass between defense and center :p

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Pick up games is great for you to practice moves you don't usually do.

i.e. Trying to go through 2-3 guys with through speed and stick handling. Trying to deke out the goalie instead of putting a quick shot on net. Etc.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:42 PM
BigDuke6

Well I was all set to join the Beer League this September. Then my son made the travel hockey team. With the cost of his team and the travel committment I had to bow out of the team I was going to join. Bummed, but my son is a much better hockey player than I am, and he has a much higher upside than I do. Plus, the look on his face when he saw he made the team, there was no way we weren't doing it.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:58 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
Well I was all set to join the Beer League this September. Then my son made the travel hockey team. With the cost of his team and the travel committment I had to bow out of the team I was going to join. Bummed, but my son is a much better hockey player than I am, and he has a much higher upside than I do. Plus, the look on his face when he saw he made the team, there was no way we weren't doing it.
That's a shame. Maybe make some inquiries to see if you can get on as a spare - might fit in the time and money budget.

On the other hand, congrats to the son!

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:07 PM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
Tell your son when he makes the pros he has to pay for your beer league team fees

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 07:44 AM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Ps: do ppl in drop ins tend not to try to cycle the puck?
Whenever I play pickup guys just get the puck and go coast-to-coast trying to scored, no passing AT ALL. They usually don't score and takes the fun out of it. There is (almost) nothing more impressive than watching guys cycle the puck.

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
ThisAintBaseball

This I have learned:

Never assign the noob of your rec league team to D. With little skating skills--especially backward--they are merely talking pylons.

What my team does is put the noob on the forward line with two experienced players. The noob learns positional play, and the opposition overlooks him, concentrating their defense on the better players of his line, until the overlooked noob is passed the puck and scores, or scores on a rebound. And we've made a teammate for life.

ThisAintBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 07:00 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisAintBaseball View Post
This I have learned:

Never assign the noob of your rec league team to D. With little skating skills--especially backward--they are merely talking pylons.

What my team does is put the noob on the forward line with two experienced players. The noob learns positional play, and the opposition overlooks him, concentrating their defense on the better players of his line, until the overlooked noob is passed the puck and scores, or scores on a rebound. And we've made a teammate for life.
Agreed 100%. I'm not a complete noob but in my summer league I am easily the weakest player on my team. I get put on the wing with a quality centre (we play 4 on 4 in this particular setup). My job is to:

1) generally speaking, concentrate on maintaining good positioning relative to the play
2) getting open along the wings to give the center/defence a target to pass to on the transition (worst case scenario I lose the puck, but as long as I've at least touched it, its likely getting into the opposing end without icing)
3) staying onside!
4) going to the net and letting my centerman find me (or being there for the rebound).

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:52 PM
ThisAintBaseball

Gotten quiet, so...

...bump.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:10 AM
beth

Hey, everyone! I'll give a little update to help keep this bumped up!

Our hockey league is just starting up - we've had evaluation practices this month. Last year we had 4 teams, this year it looks like we have 6!

We've got a pool of awesome coaches this season and we're just going to rotate through them so it's not a huge commitment for them. They've got their work cut out for them as all our teams practice together! We have like 50 people on the ice! It's crazy but they do a good job of keeping us moving.

I'm starting my third year coaching. I'll be asst coach for house PeeWees (including my daughter). We have a really nice bunch of kids and I think it will be a blast.

The association assigned me the task of putting on a special Try Hockey Free event just for girls. If you know anyone with girls in the Seattle area, pass them this link!
http://www.tryhockeyfree.com

Hope everyone gets their season off to a good start. Looking forward to hearing all the stories of everyone's first game!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:53 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisAintBaseball View Post
This I have learned:

Yup. But I see teams do it all the time. D is much harder to play properly than forward. Our rec team improved alot when we put better skaters on D

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:50 PM
ThisAintBaseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Yup. But I see teams do it all the time. D is much harder to play properly than forward. Our rec team improved alot when we put better skaters on D
Against teams that put their weak skaters on D, we play dump-and-chase, heh-heh.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bumping this so newer members can see.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Sorry this is slightly OT but is there one of these noob or beginners guide type of sites or threads for people trying to learn about the history of the NHL (pre-90s)?

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Sorry this is slightly OT but is there one of these noob or beginners guide type of sites or threads for people trying to learn about the history of the NHL (pre-90s)?
try wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:33 AM
SCritical

Our summer inhouse season started last week. I love the start of the season, it's like a family reunion with all the guys I haven't seen last summer. The game was a humbling experience - I forgot how different playing mixed is from women's league! It's amazing how an increase in speed makes me do some pretty dumb things - I got called for an offside for the first time in ages, and reverted to my old habit of passing the puck in no particular direction as soon as I touch it. Oh well.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
do0glas

4 games into my first official league season.

firstly: as a new player, you usually start at drop in to get your feet wet. once you hit league the difference is crazy. typically you just see a lot of one on ones two on ones in drop in, and then you get into a league game and youre trying to keep posession against all five players. my very first game was humbling in that aspect. I decided to skip bronze league (the lowest) and go for silver B (the second to lowest) at the advice of a guy in drop in.

ive missed a few sitters and then i dwell on it until the next game, so far it has motivated me to be more focused and it has netted me a few points. and surprisingly im actually sitting comfortably in the top 15 in the league for points, the captain has asked me to play center at different points in the game (usually im a winger) because i can get back and forth and have been reliable on defense, and generally overall the team hasnt pointed out anything im doing horribly wrong. so all in all its going great!

im trying to go the whole season with 0 penalty minutes, while staying strong on defense haha. it probably wont last long, but im on track after four games.

i set a goal of 10 points in 25 games, and im way ahead right now. but i know at any point i can go through an extended slump, so i set a personal goal to try to get at least a point every three games, otherwise ill get down on myself when i may have otherwise played a good game. not everyone is going to score, so i have to keep reminding myself

it was really nerve racking to go out and spend the money not only on the equipment, but the league fee, but once youre on the ice zipping passes around and celebrating, its all worth it.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
etac
Rookie User

Long time lurker, first time poster. Figured I would share my story.

Started playing hockey at 4 years old, and played up through high school. Played D1, AAA travel, etc. and through the years switched from playing D to RW...especially since at 13, I was 6'1", 180lbs and as fast as any other forward (13 was when we could start checking in our league). I quit playing because I didn't want to play in college and preferred other extra-curriculars (see: alcoholic beverages).

Anyway, for some crazy reason I decided I wanted to play again. Oh, but I didn't just want to play again...I wanted to play the one position I never tried...goalie. So after 2 months of scouring the internet for information and sales on pads, I have all of my equipment. I have been skating here and there since I stopped playing, so getting back on the ice wasn't an issue. I even laughed the first time I skated in my goalie skates...I didn't see what people were talking about when they said how different they were. Sure the blade was a little longer and wasn't rocked, but didn't skate that differently.

I post now, at 25 years old, 7 short hours before my first ever game as a goalie, feeling nervous and jittery. I have no idea how some of you guys and gals do it. I am a strong skater and have all the skills, yet I am still petrified of tonight. I do realize that goalie =/= playing out and is a whole different skill set, but I wasn't expecting these kind of nerves. I want to say I have a lot of respect for all of you that are starting up for the first time, having never skated before.

I also wanted to add that I agree with what a few of you said before, that no matter how skilled you are, you will always make a fool of yourself.

For tonight though, my goal is a 48% save average...I'd be happy with that, haha.

etac is offline   Reply With Quote