HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
I'm starting to think he look more like Peter Forsberg. Talented playmaker with size, great two-way play and the ability to score from time to time. Both have incredible hands. Gally look more like Forsberg than Hossa, imo.
Gally doesn't have Forsberg's robustness though. Forsberg would just as soon go through you as around you. Not so much Gally.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Hullois

One thing I'm noticing in all the videos is his cross ice passes.... it is almost Markov'esque. Like the one at 1:05 in the last video posted, he does that all the time. Insane vision, he has

Old
11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Sorry i'm late guys

Save your thank you's and just follow the twitter: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi

Will have a vid up from the subway series game tonight later.
Thanks a lot

Old
11-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Gally doesn't have Forsberg's robustness though. Forsberg would just as soon go through you as around you. Not so much Gally.
Forsberg could have been one of the best player to ever where a jersey had he not been injured so often, it really is a damn shame. Actually, he still is one of the best, just doesn't get the same recognition.
Gally doesn't have Forsberg's hands either, they were 2nd to none.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Forsberg could have been one of the best player to ever where a jersey had he not been injured so often, it really is a damn shame. Actually, he still is one of the best, just doesn't get the same recognition.
Gally doesn't have Forsberg's hands either, they were 2nd to none.

He pulled stuff in the NHL during clutch and grab that would be impressive even now to be done in junior. If he was bigger, his style might not have been so harsh on his body.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

He pulled stuff in the NHL during clutch and grab that would be impressive even now to be done in junior. If he was bigger, his style might not have been so harsh on his body.
Forsberg truly was the complete package. He did absolutely everything.
The only ''bad'' thing about this highlight reel is you could probably have another 10min of all the great defensive plays he also made. His defending of the puck is simply remarkable, I used to love how he'd wait for opponents to come hit him against the board where he seemed defenseless and then simply destroyed whoever was coming his way because of his strength.
People shouldn't really make comparison to him unless you're talking about a world class talent a la Crosby.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Habitant le colon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a0i-YXLqnSs

got this from THN

Old
11-05-2012, 01:50 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Sorry i'm late guys

Save your thank you's and just follow the twitter: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi

Will have a vid up from the subway series game tonight later.
Holy crap! I watched the game but missed a bunch of those shifts. @ 2:00, wow, what a move!

Thx broski!

Old
11-05-2012, 02:01 PM
That

Galchenyuk's biggest improvement since the start of the season: Speed at which he plays the game.

Early in the season he was trying to slow everything down and now he's constantly switching from a high tempo game to a slowing it down. It's quite funny watching the defenders manage this play as they are helpless. If they try to step up on him he goes around them and he's completely open, and if they hang back he just blasts a shot on net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Thanks for posting this. Something I found really interesting was that Galchenyuk was actually a winger before he got drafted in to the OHL. From there Beaulieu switched him to centre, which was a good move my eyes as he likes to occupy the centre of the ice.

Also, I don't think were going to see Gally back at C soon, like he said in the video, Sarnia's winning and he has good chemistry with Sarault and Boucher. Disappointing, but true.

He's also had chemistry with Goldobin, Moore, Hottot, Dundas, etc., so I'm starting to think it's not that he has chemistry with only those players, but rather he's the type of player that makes everyone on the ice better no matter who they are, or how they play.

There's also HD video of some incredible dekes in that video. Kid was sick mitts.

Last edited by That: 11-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Some of the concerns that Gally might be hampered by being on a bad team might become less valid as the season goes on because of #94 himself. Playing with such a good player and character guy will only serve to make his teammates better on and off the ice.

At times in the above vid he literally looks like a man playing with boys, and he's been doing it for a handful of games now.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Simerc

Malkin describing Gally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Kid was sick mitts.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:20 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simerc View Post
Malkin describing Gally:

That's hilarious, good catch

Old
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
domdo345

I thought Grigorenko was the most offensively gifted player of the two but Galchenyuk is much better player when the game is high tempo. Would still like that he plays center sooner than later to become one of the best at carrying the puck up the ice. He certainly has the talent for this. Anyway, good thing I was not in Timmins shoes on the draft day.

Edit: not trying to start a Grigo vs Gally again, just me telling I was wrong in the type of players I like.

Last edited by domdo345: 11-05-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I knew Gally would pick it up, he's gonna be a legit #1 centre in the NHL.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Thanks for posting this. Something I found really interesting was that Galchenyuk was actually a winger before he got drafted in to the OHL. From there Beaulieu switched him to centre, which was a good move my eyes as he likes to occupy the centre of the ice.
It was pre-Beaulieu, in his rookie year (2010-11) their coach was Dave MacQueen.

On the OHL draft site for the 2010 draft they had him listed as a center FWIW:

http://ohldraft.ilap.com/ps2010/

Old
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Et le But

It's not a bad thing he can play on the wings, might as well get him used to that role when he plays on the power play with Barkov someday.

...and then I woke up.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:57 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
I knew Gally would pick it up, he's gonna be a legit #1 right wing in the NHL.
Fixed that for you

Old
11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

That's hilarious, good catch
What you did there... I see it!

Kid had a serious shot to win the scoring title at this rate! I've said it before and ill say it again, if there was one man in the world I trust picking 3rd overall it's Trevor Timmins!

Old
11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
What you did there... I see it!

Kid had a serious shot to win the scoring title at this rate! I've said it before and ill say it again, if there was one man in the world I trust picking 3rd overall it's Trevor Timmins!
I can't beleive we did'n end up with Morgan Rielly........it really suck!!!

Joke

Old
11-05-2012, 04:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I can't beleive we did'n end up with Morgan Rielly........it really suck!!!

Joke
In all fairness Rielly would've been a nice pick too, but from an organizational standpoint we've just needed a player like Gally for too long.

We've got a wicked defense prospect pool.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Give him time... he looks strong against kids his age... in 5 years, he'll be strong enough to go through defenders also.

But, yeah, Forsberg was something special.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:19 PM
FF de Mars

I like that he's playing winger. He'll be ready to play with Plekanec when time comes. He can be a center in 2 years. It's better to start at wing, in the NHL, with less responsibilities.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Saundies

If Gally ends up anything like Forsberg we will have scored in this draft big time.. Forsberg was an absolute gun.

Gally's looking great though. Yeah he had a couple tough games but that's what happens when you don't play a whole season and then are thrown back right into the thick of things. Safe to say he's back playing at the level he wants to be at.

Safer to say that I'm way too excited for him to make play for the big club.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
I thought Grigorenko was the most offensively gifted player of the two but Galchenyuk is much better player when the game is high tempo. Would still like that he plays center sooner than later to become one of the best at carrying the puck up the ice. He certainly has the talent for this. Anyway, good thing I was not in Timmins shoes on the draft day.

Edit: not trying to start a Grigo vs Gally again, just me telling I was wrong in the type of players I like.
Yeah the slight advantage Grigorenko might have over Galchenyuk in skillset is offset by Galchenyuk's determination, leadership and ability to carry a game.

I think Grigorenko was criticized far too much coming into the draft (and I would have been happy if we got him then, truth be told, altho right now I'm extremely happy with Galchy) but Galchenyuk seems like a guy who can improve more quickly and effectively. Kids like him just work hard all the time to get better while I doubt Grigorenko is going to do this nearly as much.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Galchenyuk's hands in close actually remind me of Forsberg.
I'd like the comparison a bit more if he was more physical however.

Closed Thread