HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2012, 08:33 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

vCash: 500
Thanks PS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Jets fan coming by to say congratulations on a good hire. IMHO JD is a good hockey man and he will get it right. Honestly I am really impressed you have as good a fan base as you do given how things have gone in Columbus over the past decade. Good luck and I wish you the success you deserve.
kind of falls into bad hockey is better than no hockey at all eh? Just kidding of course - John Davidson is much needed here. He brings experience, knowledge and confidence. We need all three traits. The proof of the whole deal will be when he gets us winning and in the playoffs - will any of the existing folks still be on staff? We shall see

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:56 PM
EspenK

Why do people keep voting in this poll? He's already been hired. And I'm pretty sure one guy voted "its too early in the season" after he was hired.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
kind of falls into bad hockey is better than no hockey at all eh? Just kidding of course - John Davidson is much needed here. He brings experience, knowledge and confidence. We need all three traits. The proof of the whole deal will be when he gets us winning and in the playoffs - will any of the existing folks still be on staff? We shall see
Yea hard to say who will still be around? JD is really connected and he will be able to attract people to the organization and that is a good start. Throw in 3 first round draft picks in 2013 and Ryan Murray and the future is not looking too bad at this point.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:55 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

MESSAGE TO SEASON TICKET HOLDERS
FROM JOHN DAVIDSON, PRESIDENT OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page...et_rid=1406712

11-02-2012, 06:45 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Why do people keep voting in this poll? He's already been hired. And I'm pretty sure one guy voted "its too early in the season" after he was hired.
At least one person noticed what I'm doing on these boards. Honestly I don't follow the Davidson saga and didn't even know that he was hired. I even didn't read the question cause it doesn't matter for me what the teams are doing while the league is destroying itself.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:03 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
MESSAGE TO SEASON TICKET HOLDERS
FROM JOHN DAVIDSON, PRESIDENT OF HOCKEY OPERATIONS

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page...et_rid=1406712
uh oh. I feel a man crush coming on.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
John Davidson provides something that was sorely lacking with this franchise right in the beginning, up until Craig Patrick and, to a lesser extent, Scott Howson, came along: Common sense. No offense to Doug MacLean (or, he can take offense, see if I give a hoot), but he is not the kind of guy that sits you down, looks you in the eye, and tells you how it is. John Davidson just did exactly that. He has a down to earth demeanor, is the kind of guy that you could see yourself sitting down and having a beer and a chat with, and that, combined with his obvious hockey knowledge, is exactly why he's the right guy for this job.

Cheers to him for stepping out and laying it on the table. I hope this reaches as many fans as possible.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Roadman
Moving On

I think that this, as much as his hockey acumen, is one of the reasons he was hired. Help restore some confidence in the fan base. There has been no one that could even remotely be considered a great communicator.

I post, therefore I am.

Last edited by Roadman: 11-03-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I think that, as much as his hockey acumen, is one of the reasons he was hired. Help restore some confidence in the fan base. There has been no one that could even remotely be considered a great communicator.
I agree. What will have to play out is whether the ownership really understands and values this, or whether they see it as just the next "thing" to be tried.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:35 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Everyone has their own requirements for man crush status, I'm not sure I even have one at all. But get me in the playoffs a couple of years in a row and into the second round of the playoffs and that would be a good start.

Let's be honest, to this point this is window dressing. Results, that is what I'm looking for. I'll start judging when we start seeing him do something inside the org.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:23 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Since it's a rebuild and as Davidson said it's going to take some time before Columbus can realistically be a solid team, should we not expect Davidson(Howson) to go after any significant UFA's for the next couple of years? The Oilers plan a couple of years ago was to develop their young guns and try to to improve, one season at a time. Only UFA players they were after were to fill in some small gaps(Hordichuk, Eager, Belanger). Plus they said they didn't expect big names to sign with a team that's at the bottom of the standings. Once the team shows that they're close to competing for the Cup, that is when they plan on going for a homerun and going after a big UFA. Is that what Columbus is going to do? Wait a couple of years to let the rebuild finish then when(hopefully) they're a playoff team, go for a homerun?

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Since it's a rebuild and as Davidson said it's going to take some time before Columbus can realistically be a solid team, should we not expect Davidson(Howson) to go after any significant UFA's for the next couple of years? The Oilers plan a couple of years ago was to develop their young guns and try to to improve, one season at a time. Only UFA players they were after were to fill in some small gaps(Hordichuk, Eager, Belanger). Plus they said they didn't expect big names to sign with a team that's at the bottom of the standings. Once the team shows that they're close to competing for the Cup, that is when they plan on going for a homerun and going after a big UFA. Is that what Columbus is going to do? Wait a couple of years to let the rebuild finish then when(hopefully) they're a playoff team, go for a homerun?
Judging from the way the Blues were assembled, don't expect any "big UFA signings" at all. I like how JD said it: one brick at a time. Expect the team to draft and develop it's own talent, and fill in the other pieces via trade. The Blues brought in major players like Andy McDonald, Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart, and Jaroslav Halak via trades, not UFA signings. We have some solid pieces in our pipeline, and my argument is that with a couple of talented young forwards, this team will be on the fast track to success in no time. I've never been a fan of building teams through free agency, and I think now, more than ever, drafting and developing is the key to victory.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

What I'm anxious to see is that the younger players that have been hanging around and really have yet to establish themselves based on talent and draft position getting a wake up call. Someone hit the nail right on the head, unacceptable results from these youngsters hurt not only the franchise's long term success, but some are saddled with contracts based on such small windows of play that it makes them difficult to "dangle" as bait with any real success. Hoping for the best while never "preparing" for the worst has been a real achilles heel here.

I don't expect this is be a complete turnaround virtually overnight, but I do expect the significant mistakes made vs. the positive returns start to reverse themselves immediately.

Honestly, the more I think about this, and most of you know my feelings on Howson, it might have been for the best to just fire him and start fresh from the position of GM, even if it ends up being in name only, us aside on this board, there are quite a few fans who's faith in him to get a job done is shaken, be it though his own shortcomings or the preceived overbearing nature that was Mike Priest the last 5 and a half years. Priest has essentially been "reassigned", assuring (at least on the surface) that he keeps his hands out of the "competitive portion of the pie", so to speak.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Judging from the way the Blues were assembled, don't expect any "big UFA signings" at all. I like how JD said it: one brick at a time.
Not directed at you, but that phrase is going to grow tiresome very quickly. It's already starting to get on my nerves, but to be fair cliche's like that annoy me quicker than most.

Having said that, my real point in posting was to say Davidson already said we aren't going to solve this via FA. There is no reason to believe we are going to be players in that market, not that we've ever been players anyway. Sure we signed Foote and tried to sign Redden, but historically we've been fairly conservative. Based on how JD has spoken, there is no reason to even entertain anything major in the FA period.

Oh and 92% said we should hire this guy? Run in fear now. That type of consensus can't end well... :p

Old
11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not directed at you, but that phrase is going to grow tiresome very quickly. It's already starting to get on my nerves, but to be fair cliche's like that annoy me quicker than most.

Having said that, my real point in posting was to say Davidson already said we aren't going to solve this via FA. There is no reason to believe we are going to be players in that market, not that we've ever been players anyway. Sure we signed Foote and tried to sign Redden, but historically we've been fairly conservative. Based on how JD has spoken, there is no reason to even entertain anything major in the FA period.

Oh and 92% said we should hire this guy? Run in fear now. That type of consensus can't end well... :p
Just trying to understand- do you mean cliches irritate you more quickly than they irritate most other people or do you mean cliches irritate you more than most other things irritate you?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
This kind of reminds me of the "we're inherently screwed because we're the Jackets" silliness we get from a few nuts around here.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Just trying to understand- do you mean cliches irritate you more quickly than they irritate most other people or do you mean cliches irritate you more than most other things irritate you?
lol, the former.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This kind of reminds me of the "we're inherently screwed because we're the Jackets" silliness we get from a few nuts around here.
I will admit that my irrational fear of consensus is truly... irrational.

Old
11-06-2012, 03:30 PM
blahblah

Not sure if anyone posted it, but they have a small 3 part series on Davidson's arrival. Got the email yesterday about it.

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...et_rid=1407944

The most interesting one is the third one. They talk about Erixon and Calvert, as well as some of the strategy for an abbreviated. There was some interesting insight on what Howson thought happened to Calvert last season.

Enjoy. I kind of liked the fluff pieces. One thing I noticed is that Priest looked extremely happy to have him aboard. I think Priest has been looking forward to this day.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:07 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Not sure if anyone posted it, but they have a small 3 part series on Davidson's arrival. Got the email yesterday about it.

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...et_rid=1407944

The most interesting one is the third one. They talk about Erixon and Calvert, as well as some of the strategy for an abbreviated. There was some interesting insight on what Howson thought happened to Calvert last season.

Enjoy. I kind of liked the fluff pieces. One thing I noticed is that Priest looked extremely happy to have him aboard. I think Priest has been looking forward to this day.
I really liked that.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:27 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

This one move - coupled with Priest's genuine enthusiasm for it - has greatly improved my perception of this franchise. It will remain at this level as long as they let JD do his job and if JD is as good at his job as we think he is.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote