HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

All Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 09:07 PM
BobbyJet

vCash: 500
Good game ... 3rd period should be good.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:10 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Hutton looked like the AHL equivalent of Huet or Khabibulin in the first. Undiscliplined play on Rockfords part. Questionable d. Otherwise, yeah entertaining.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:17 PM
BobbyJet

Beach looks pretty good again tonight.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:33 PM
BobbyJet

Beach again ... a beauty!

Old
11-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Callidusblackhawk

Nice to see Beach doing well. Is Saad hurt or something?

Old
11-03-2012, 09:39 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Saad has injury. Comitted Indian says upper body. Dunno if its upper body or leg.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:17 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Beach certainly has a great shot. I like his attitude. Along with Morin, those two can change the attitude on the Hawks from soft to gritty, while still offering offensive potential. I'd take both over Carcillo.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:59 AM
BobbyJet

Morin especially appears ready to make the NHL after that concussion set him back. However the AHL is not the NHL.

Beach may make the team largely due to that snapshot of his... something the Hawks need badly.... and agreed both are the gritty types that was lacking in last seasons roster.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
lewis black

Nice comeback by the Hogs last night. I wasn't able to catch the game and I refuse to pay $7 to watch an online AHL game of poor quality.
I think the AHL is seriously missing a huge opportunity to capture a fan-base during the lockout, but that's an entirely different story.

I can't say I'm surprised with Beach's recent success.
I know many(not necessarily on this board) already have him pegged for a bust, but there are a couple things to keep in mind. First, last season should have been the pivotal year for him to be fully acclimated to the professional game and to start firing off some big-time numbers. He was actually off to a fairly decent start to the season before a shoulder injury derailed most of the season, and never looked the same when he returned.
Secondly, he made a commitment this summer to stay in Chicago instead of going back home to work on conditioning, training and improving the parts of his game that needed it the most.

I was very surprised to see him relegated to 4th line duties to start the season and it makes me wonder if there isn't something more to the story.
That being said, he seems to have kept a positive attitude throughout and despite only scoring once in the first six games (not that anyone else was producing) he was one of only a few that was on for more even-strength goals for compared to against.

This weekend should be a huge boost to his confidence after posting five points in two games, including three goals.
Beach certainly has all the tools and fills a role that the Blackhawks desperately need... a power forward with the ability to play a second line role if needed because of his offensive potential.
He's certainly not there yet, and I'd love to see some consistency out of him to show that this weekend wasn't just a fluke, but everything in my gut tells me it isn't.

The one thing I'm unclear of is: did his ice-time increase this weekend? or was he still playing a fourth line role? It's clear he was on the PP for at least part of the game and set up Lalonde for a snipe.

Time will only tell with Beach and Chicago as an organization holds some of the best prospect depth in the NHL which is remarkable considering considering where they finish each year.
If Beach is able to finally start living up to his expectations it gives them another top end forward that seemed to have previously been a write-off.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:06 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Most slots for the prospects are being blocked by existing contracts but I expect that to change over the next two years. I would project Morin and Beach to be pushing for spots by then.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:20 AM
BobbyJet

Part of the reason for his increased ice time last night was that the Hogs lost Shaw and Brookbank with game misconducts; Kruger also was given a misconduct. But Beach was fully engaged, pretty much every shift and Dent seemed to respond to that and gave him additional ice time as the game progressed. He also showed some good discipline, and was not sucked into unnecessary penalties, something he has been guilty of in the past.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Hawks tell the Hogs some lines they have to play... Hawks want a Bollig - Krüger - Shaw line + Jayes in different games. They want them to get some chemistry. Could be our 4th line in the NHL

Still would finally want to see Beach getting the chance to play in the NHL when it starts again

Old
11-04-2012, 07:35 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Hawks tell the Hogs some lines they have to play... Hawks want a Bollig - Krüger - Shaw line + Jayes in different games. They want them to get some chemistry. Could be our 4th line in the NHL

Still would finally want to see Beach getting the chance to play in the NHL when it starts again
Wow. I hope that's not the reason for not playing Beach more. I'd rather see Beach on the 4th line over either Bollig or Shaw, and I'd be willing to see Beach further up the depth chart over all mentioned if he continues to progress in the maturity (and skating) aspects of his game.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

maybe not the reason for Beach playing not much, but a reason why we see Bollig - Krüger - Shaw

Old
11-05-2012, 07:34 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

Though entirely feasible, this sounds like another blanket statement with no basis, just speculation…. Or do you have a source?

Bollig will be hard pressed to make the Hawks except as an emergency call-up. Beach, as raw as he may still be, should get a shot before Bollig. Even if it is on the 4th line.

Kruger by the way played an undisciplined game Saturday … not sure what he was thinking at times but he could have cost Hogs the 2 points taking those dumb penalties.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:48 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Though entirely feasible, this sounds like another blanket statement with no basis, just speculation…. Or do you have a source?

Bollig will be hard pressed to make the Hawks except as an emergency call-up. Beach, as raw as he may still be, should get a shot before Bollig. Even if it is on the 4th line.

Kruger by the way played an undisciplined game Saturday … not sure what he was thinking at times but he could have cost Hogs the 2 points taking those dumb penalties.
Closer to the beginning of the season, one of the beat writers (Rogers, I think) said something to the effect that the Hawks had asked Rockford to play certain line combos - although, I didn't get the impression it was on a permanent basis - more of a "look and see" kind of thing.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Oh_so_saad

Good to see beachy is steppng up. i always loved watching him as a silvertip in the whl

Old
11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
It has been quoted in many papers and Dent has come out and said it that the Hawks have some sort of influance on how the lines are drawn up. One o0f the coaches was just on the radio and said the same thing while blasting a couple players for being out of shape.
Quote:
Bollig will be hard pressed to make the Hawks except as an emergency call-up.
LOL, thats their tough guy now. He is on the team no matter what. Its not like Bollig is all bad, he can chuck em and he does have a couple decent moves. I try to lie to myself and say he is a more limited Darren McCarthy with a whole bunch more stupid. Then I consider who I just compared him to and quickly change the subject.
Quote:
Beach, as raw as he may still be, should get a shot before Bollig. Even if it is on the 4th line.
Completely agree. Beach is getting to the point where he will have nothing left to prove in the A. His problem isnt hockey and he needs to focus on the hockey.
Quote:
Kruger is just a bad player with a limited skill set who is suddenly in his element now in the A where the talent level is similar to his skill set. This is Kruger, here in the A. If he were to actually go back to the NHL, you will once again see the extremely limited player who will have a hard time scoring goals and many to run to his defense about defensive play like some sort of excuse for being bad.

So far, the most impressive Hogs this year have been;

Morin
Beach
Pirri

Old
11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
BobbyJet

If Bollig could get his shot off more often, he'd much more effective. In the few times he managed it last season, it had some zip.

In the 2 games I've seen to date, Morin and Beach looked the best, agreed. Pirri was good also but so were a few others, including Paradis and Flick in a limited role. The team up front showed some real grit on Saturday ... a good sign.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Callidusblackhawk

Quote:
In the 2 games I've seen to date, Morin and Beach looked the best, agreed. Pirri was good also but so were a few others, including Paradis and Flick in a limited role. The team up front showed some real grit on Saturday ... a good sign.
Yeah, after scoring that goal late in the 2nd they really came alive and were hitting everything that moved. Was pretty damn fun to watch.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:06 PM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Bad defensive play leads to 1 on 1 play and Schroeder scores, beating Hutton.

3-1 Wolves
Was that Clendening getting burned... He looked average at best against the Wolves.... That Ladd trade... it gives me heartburn...

Old
11-07-2012, 05:31 PM
BobbyJet

Shaw gets 6 games for leaving bench. Kinda harsh.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

nah, it's good for the team but totally against the rules

Old
11-08-2012, 08:57 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

in the circumstances, i thought it was a stupid thing to do.

Old
11-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I've watched every Wolves v. Rockford game on TV (considering it's the only time I get to watch AHL hockey without traveling to Rockford). Here's my thoughts:

Pirri: Works his ass off. Makes good plays all over the place in the offensive zone and looks very comfortable out there. His defensive awareness still leaves something to be desired, but it's improved since I saw him last year. I think he's gonna be a 2nd line center in the NHL sooner rather than later. Maybe not in the upper echelon, but certainly seems worthy enough.

Morin: Streaky, streaky, streaky. The talent this kid possesses is very obvious, but it seems like he's one of those 'all the tools, no toolbox' kinda players. Maybe he's still adjusting to the pro game, and I truly hope it is... because if there's more to his game than physicality, a great wrist shot and good offensive awareness, then he'll be a great player. I think there's more room to develop his game in the AHL. I think he'll still be a solid player in the NHL.

Stanton: Where did this guy come from? Solid defensively, always making good decisions and giving it his all. If it weren't for the plethora of defensemen on the Hawks, I would hope for a call-up soon to see how he does. He's like the Seabrook of the Hogs (with less offensive flair).

Flick: Really solid as a 4th line player. Still has to mature his game and adjust to the AHL, but I could see him making the NHL one day. He has a bit of skill to go with his style of play... unfortunately, it's hard to crack an NHL line-up unless there's something really recognizable about your game. I'm not sure Flick has that 'flash' to get a call-up. But he's a very solid player.

Beach: Really impressed me some games, other times was unnoticeable. We all know he really lit it up his last few games... but I only caught his 2g game against the Wolves. His offensive awareness is very noticeable. Great shot, very physical and has shown that he can adapt his game to the coach's desires. He'll be an NHLer for sure, IMO. In what capacity is the question I have. He has all the tools to be a powerforward on the 2nd line, but it just depends on whether he can translate his offense to the next level. If he can keep this pace up, I think we might have a good player on our hands.

Lavin: Made some very good plays and also some very bad plays as well. Maybe I just caught him on some off-games but he never did anything to make me believe that he definitely has an NHL career ahead of him.

Leblanc: Very frustrating, from the games I saw. Kept turning the puck over. Tried to make numerous passes only to be intercepted because he didn't read the play well enough or because he just didn't execute the play he saw in his head. He's got talent, but the mind isn't there (IMO).

Leddy: From the couple of games I've seen, he looked very confident and poised. Still gets manhandled in the corners (or avoids them completely), which is concerning, but his puck-possession and skating abilities really shine at this level. He's gotta dedicate himself to becoming stronger to win board battles and to have confidence to enter those areas in the first place. But his intelligence on the ice is very apparent. Always the best defenseman on the ice.

Shaw: I honestly don't really remember much from him. But from what I saw in the NHL, the heart and dedication is there. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that his heart isn't all there or that he had a few games off. However, I wasn't really impressed from what I saw.

Bollig: Belongs in the AHL. He was a player who was there to replace John Scott for the fans and that's about it. Doesn't belong in a scoring role and fits adequately on a bottom six role for the AHL. I don't see a reason why he should get a call-up over the likes of Morin/Beach for a bottom 6 role this coming season.

Kruger: He looks too smart for the AHL. He reads plays very well, he sets up plays very well and will anticipate plays like no other. However, same with Shaw, I didn't see the effort and heart that I saw from him in the NHL. It's weird, almost bizarro-like. His intelligence and talent shine in the AHL but his effort/heart lack; in the NHL, his heart and effort shine but his intelligence and talent are very unnoticeable. I'm hoping he just needs time to put it all together... because if he does, I'll eat my words and say that he's going to become a very solid player.

Hayes: How does someone that tall skate so quickly? I honestly thought he was one of the best skating forwards on the Hogs. Good offensive awareness, good shot, good hustle. He has a lot of tools to be excited about but his game all-around seems like it might shine at the AHL level but may not translate to the NHL. He was always impressing me with his hustle and good awareness, though. I know he's a bit older, but with more time in the AHL, I think he could put it together and recognize all of his tools in order to become a more complete player.

Olsen: Unfortunately, I don't see a future for him the NHL. If it were up to me, I'd try Stanton first before even considering him to become an NHL regular. His slapper is fantastic and he's big and physical enough... however, I didn't see much of a 'hockey mind' in his head. Just seems like he's panicking at any given moment. Another one of those players with all the tools but no toolbox. I hope I'm wrong because he has a lot to offer.

Dahlbeck: Didn't notice too much of him other than solid defensive play. From reading about him when we first drafted him, that seems to be his game though. Can't say much about him.

Saad: He's a smart player... I think I only caught one game of his though. He's an all-around good package. Good defensively, good offensively, good hustle, good passing/shooting. Never made much happen but neither did his line, from what I recall. Seems to be the most complete player on the Hogs as far as physicality, talent and awareness goes.

... so that's my breakdown from what I've seen. Small sample size, but those are the players I remember enough about to describe to you guys. Unfortunately my buddy in Rockford has a new job and is really busy so I don't get as many opportunities to go out there to watch them live so I've only seen the TV feeds from Chicago.

Closed Thread