HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Center Pole : who are the futur 4 center!!

View Poll Results: What is your top 4 !
Plekanec 130 79.27%
Deshanais 99 60.37%
Eller 145 88.41%
Gomez 8 4.88%
White 26 15.85%
Nokelainen 2 1.22%
Leblanc 34 20.73%
Bournival 40 24.39%
Galchenyuk 136 82.93%
Dumont 7 4.27%
Vail 10 6.10%
Pribyl 1 0.61%
Cichy 2 1.22%
Nattinen 5 3.05%
Geoffrion 6 3.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Reason I trade Eller over Plek or Desharnais is because while he is good in his own zone and has offensive skill, as of yet, I have not seen great playmaking abilities from him. He seems to hold onto the puck too much. I would give him one more year, but personally I think he is a valuable asset who could be dealt for something else.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

But why not go with Gally on the wings at first? He is playing there as we speak. He has the size to do whatever he can, the versatiliy as well AND there's less pressure on a winger then on the centerman because of everything that is being asked on both sides of the rink. So start with Gally on the wings....and move him all you want at center if you feel there's a need for change.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Reason I trade Eller over Plek or Desharnais is because while he is good in his own zone and has offensive skill, as of yet, I have not seen great playmaking abilities from him. He seems to hold onto the puck too much. I would give him one more year, but personally I think he is a valuable asset who could be dealt for something else.
The problem is that Eller does not have anywhere close to the trade value of either DD or Plekanec. We would not get the appropriate value for him that would make it worth giving him away. Plekanec would net us quite a good return from the right team. DD would also get quite a bit more than Eller. Nobody is going to give us as much as a 1st round pick for Eller since he hasn't shown enough to make him worth that kind of price.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But why not go with Gally on the wings at first? He is playing there as we speak. He has the size to do whatever he can, the versatiliy as well AND there's less pressure on a winger then on the centerman because of everything that is being asked on both sides of the rink. So start with Gally on the wings....and move him all you want at center if you feel there's a need for change.
I agree with this. If starting on the wing wasn't beneath Zetterberg and Giroux, I'm sure it'll be fine for Galchenyuk. And as you wrote, he's playing there right now in Sarnia.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

This year it is still Plekanec - Desharnais - Eller - Gomez... well, depending on any buyout provisions or cap restrictions that allow us to move past Gomez. But assuming that doesn't happen.

Next year... still Plekanec - Desharnais - Eller... then it's looking like Galchenyuk may be able to step into the league, although I think it would be premature to expect more than a bit role for him. Maybe also depending on the new CBA or on some kind of rebirth, Gomez would still be in the picture.

In the end, that adds up to Plekanec - Desharnais - Eller - Gomez overall.

Regardless, Nokelainen/White seem to be in for some bottom line usage in the short term. I don't really see Leblanc fitting at center all that well, but who knows, he's young too. The 5 mentioned above are the main ones to consider, anyway.

And I don't see any point in looking at who to move to wing or what trade steps to take in preparing for it. You just have to let things play out. There's still a lot that's TBD. And it will only become sensible to consider moves once you get new data into the system. It's not that hard to figure out in real time, at the time that a move actually does become "needed/desirable". So I don't find any value in trying to hit a target that's jumping around in some mist-shrouded future in this particular case.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have spoken to Brendan Rossy about Galchenyuk on the wing and how I believe the Habs have had an influence on the decision to play him there. I think that they truly wanted to try him on Plekanec's wing this season. It would have made a lot of sense. Essentially they possibly wanted to do the "Seguin approach."

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Habitant le colon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a0i-YXLqnSs

Gally a winger !! oh damn there is a lot of people who are confused now!!!

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:46 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Not every center can be 6'0"+. If you're trying to say that DD is better than Plekanec at center horrible. This is the exact attitude I'm talking about.
That is an argument about skill. Not size.
Use word "skill" in a "skill" context.
Not the word "size".
Or else we poor readers who just cannot acknowledge that DD is a bad player will be lost.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:30 PM
DAChampion

In fairness to posters like Kriss E in the "hold on to our centers camp",

I remember a discussion on another board around 2008 or so where we were speculating as to the surplus of dmen prospects. We had McDonagh, Fischer, Subban, Torp, Weber; as well as Gorges, O'Byrne, etc at the NHL level. It seemed like we had a surplus of defensive prospects, but we were a weak team at center. The team was obsessed with getting better centers, see the debacles of the attempted acquisitions of Mats Sundin and Vincent Lecavalier.

It was suggested by one of the wiser posters, who has since gone on to launch an excellent career as a hockey analyst, that we leverage our wealth on D to acquire an offensive center prospect. That was the situation on the team: a lot of D prospects, no good C prospect.

In the end, Gainey traded McDonagh for Gomez, which is loosely similar. In the 2009 NHL entry draft, five of our seven draft picks were centers (Louis Leblanc, Joonas Nattinen, Gabriel Dumont, Dustin Walsh, Mike Cichy), and Gainey signed Andreas Engvist and Mikael Johansson to minor league contracts. We then targeted a young, offensive center with size in the Halak trade.

Looking back, we have likely resolved our center situation, which is good, but we made one move too many. However, that is so easy to say with hindsight.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

I remember a discussion on another board around 2008 or so where we were speculating as to the surplus of dmen prospects. We had McDonagh, Fischer, Subban, Torp, Weber; as well as Gorges, O'Byrne, etc at the NHL level. It seemed like we had a surplus of defensive prospects, but we were a weak team at center. The team was obsessed with getting better centers, see the debacles of the attempted acquisitions of Mats Sundin and Vincent Lecavalier.

It was suggested by one of the wiser posters, who has since gone on to launch an excellent career as a hockey analyst, that we leverage our wealth on D to acquire an offensive center prospect. That was the situation on the team: a lot of D prospects, no good C prospect.

In the end, Gainey traded McDonagh for Gomez, which is loosely similar. In the 2009 NHL entry draft, five of our seven draft picks were centers (Louis Leblanc, Joonas Nattinen, Gabriel Dumont, Dustin Walsh, Mike Cichy), and Gainey signed Andreas Engvist and Mikael Johansson to minor league contracts. We then targeted a young, offensive center with size in the Halak trade.

Looking back, we have likely resolved our center situation, which is good, but we made one move too many. However, that is so easy to say with hindsight.
I'm not in the clan of wanting to trade a young prospect though. I'd keep all our main center prospects, DD, Eller, LL, Gally.
First center I'd move is Plekanec. I just don't think we should trade anybody yet. This lockout is making it harder. Ideally, we would have seen the progression in DD and Eller by the end of the season, and adjusted accordingly.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

If you trade McDonagh for, indeed, a great offensive centermen prospect....it would have soften the blow to lose a guy like McDo. But we traded him for Gomez....not Derek Stepan or a guy like him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Ouch!

Plekanec eat Desharnais alive and its not even close.. It will get clearer as soon as the game resume..
Well...in many facets of the game you are totally right.

But...chemistry is chemistry.

Pleks is a well-rounded player, has all the tools except for physicality. DD is not a well-rounded player. But you need to evaluate the net dividend of each player.

IF and I say IF, you have a roster where all the qualities of one player - like Pleks - is taken by two or three other players as part of their role, then having a DD who may have better chemistry with his surrounding players becomes a higher dividend.

Year in and year out we question ourselves: " Whose gonna be Pleks wingers? ". And then the experiments begin, and the roster round robin begins which is not to help team consistency.

Don't get me wrong, love Plekanec. Terrific player....but is he a "good" fit going forward?

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Montreal has no #1 centre, it's been that way for over a decade. When you don't have that position covered your team has a problem. It's a long shot that Galchenyuk will fill that role but he's the leading possibility as a solution. The team needs to keep drafting at that position (fingers crossed for another top 5 pick this year) until it's filled.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Montreal has no #1 centre, it's been that way for over a decade. When you don't have that position covered your team has a problem. It's a long shot that Galchenyuk will fill that role but he's the leading possibility as a solution. The team needs to keep drafting at that position (fingers crossed for another top 5 pick this year) until it's filled.
Boston didn't really have a true number one centre and they won the cup. Seguin might be a number one centre, but he wasn't at the time. The difference is that Boston had great centre depth that year with Krecji, Bergeron, Peverely (who actually played wing for some games) and Kelly. Krecji nor Bergeron are true #1 centres.

You can overcome the lack of a true number one, with QUALITY centre depth. If Galchenyuk pans out the way we expect him to, then a centre depth of Desharnais, Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Eller really isn't bad at all.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:48 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
Well...in many facets of the game you are totally right.

But...chemistry is chemistry.

Pleks is a well-rounded player, has all the tools except for physicality. DD is not a well-rounded player. But you need to evaluate the net dividend of each player.

IF and I say IF, you have a roster where all the qualities of one player - like Pleks - is taken by two or three other players as part of their role, then having a DD who may have better chemistry with his surrounding players becomes a higher dividend.

Year in and year out we question ourselves: " Whose gonna be Pleks wingers? ". And then the experiments begin, and the roster round robin begins which is not to help team consistency.

Don't get me wrong, love Plekanec. Terrific player....but is he a "good" fit going forward?
Well, talking about fits, Im pretty sure Pleks wouldnt have any probs to "fit" between Cole and Paccioretty if you know what I mean..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Not sure if drafting centers like Leblanc is the solution though, but yes, if we get another top pick, I'm all for it.
Off topic, but we really need to start looking at another goalie as well. We have 3 picks in the 2nd round next year, if that doesn't change, I'm hoping one is used for a goalie.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote