HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 06:12 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
I'm not a huge fan of player comparisons, they usually don't work out, Pacioretty/Cole being the exception.

Though, I recall Timmins comparing Pacioretty to Shayne Corson, doing ok.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:25 PM
PricePkPatch

Although I am as excited as everybody regarding Galchenyuk's immense skillset and his development so far, how can anyone claim that he is more NHL ready than Leblanc?

Leblanc actually played and did good in the NHL, while Galchenyuk is dominating at the Junior level so far. It's good, but we cannot claim that he actually would come in as dominating.

Leblanc is much more closer to having achieved his upper level of skill, while Galchenyuk can still build up on every levels. I'd get Leblanc on our lineup before Gal.

Obviously, except if we are in the middle of the playoffs.. Then I'd pick young gamebreaker explosive talent

Old
11-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Although I am as excited as everybody regarding Galchenyuk's immense skillset and his development so far, how can anyone claim that he is more NHL ready than Leblanc?

Leblanc actually played and did good in the NHL, while Galchenyuk is dominating at the Junior level so far. It's good, but we cannot claim that he actually would come in as dominating.

Leblanc is much more closer to having achieved his upper level of skill, while Galchenyuk can still build up on every levels. I'd get Leblanc on our lineup before Gal.

Obviously, except if we are in the middle of the playoffs.. Then I'd pick young gamebreaker explosive talent
Leblanc is a good prospect but wasn't pencilled in to the starting line-up by any means coming in to this season. I think Galchenyuk may have already surpassed Leblanc although that doesn't necessarily mean that Montreal would promote him before Leblanc.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:17 PM
deandebean

Best offensive talent Montreal has drafted in decades. Probably since Stéphane Richer. His hands, man, are something special. I know it's only the juniors, but man, he's got sick hands.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

Keep in mind that next season there is only two possible outcomes for Gally, back to Sarnia or in Montreal. Hamilton isn't an option for him, unfortunately.

I'm not sure that another season in Sarnia if he continues to dominate like this is really a viable option for him or the big club. Leblanc is definitely good enough to play on this hockey team but in what capacity? There isn't really a "scoring" spot open for him and we have a glut of 3rd-4th liners with experience.

I still think he has Top-6 upside, just not sure we will see him in that type of capacity until guys like Gionta/Cole are no longer producing.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Best offensive talent Montreal has drafted in decades. Probably since Stéphane Richer. His hands, man, are something special. I know it's only the juniors, but man, he's got sick hands.
I would not go as far sa Richer, perhaps Koivu. Without the injurry, Koivu was and would have been a heck of a player...

Old
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Guilliam

I can understand the Forsberg comparison (not that I expect him to be this good) because they kind of look alike with the way they handle the puck. But Gally would have to improve his skating immensely to come close to Foppa...

Old
11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
I would not go as far sa Richer, perhaps Koivu. Without the injurry, Koivu was and would have been a heck of a player...
At the risk of forever derailing the thread, I agree with Deandebean. Richer had it all on offense plus the size and underated toughness. Koivu had an endless motor but his shot was a liability.

Galchenyuk is our most dynamic offensive prospect since Richer.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Keep in mind that next season there is only two possible outcomes for Gally, back to Sarnia or in Montreal. Hamilton isn't an option for him, unfortunately.

I'm not sure that another season in Sarnia if he continues to dominate like this is really a viable option for him or the big club. Leblanc is definitely good enough to play on this hockey team but in what capacity? There isn't really a "scoring" spot open for him and we have a glut of 3rd-4th liners with experience.

I still think he has Top-6 upside, just not sure we will see him in that type of capacity until guys like Gionta/Cole are no longer producing.
I would like to see a line with Leblanc, Plekanek and Gallchenyuk next season. That would leave Bourque Eller and Gionta for the third line.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:23 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Forsberg could have been one of the best player to ever where a jersey had he not been injured so often, it really is a damn shame. Actually, he still is one of the best, just doesn't get the same recognition.
Gally doesn't have Forsberg's hands either, they were 2nd to none.
Second to none ? A lot of guys have had better hands than Forsberg during his career. What he had was a burning desire to win which combined with his extraordinary vision and incredible strength on the puck made him a force. He was close to or elite in all other aspects of the game too obviously, but Lemieux had better hands than him during his career for example. Jagr too probably. Kovalev... this could go on. But what made Peter Forsberg, Peter Forsberg, wasn't mainly his hands.

If Galchenyuk as anything close to Forsberg's will on the ice, he'll achieve great things.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Second to none ? A lot of guys have had better hands than Forsberg during his career. What he had was a burning desire to win which combined with his extraordinary vision and incredible strength on the puck made him a force. He was close to or elite in all other aspects of the game too obviously, but Lemieux had better hands than him during his career for example. Jagr too probably. Kovalev... this could go on. But what made Peter Forsberg, Peter Forsberg, wasn't mainly his hands.

If Galchenyuk as anything close to Forsberg's will on the ice, he'll achieve great things.
2nd to none was an expression, but you're mistaken in any event. I followed Forsberg career entirely. There's no way you can say those guys (maybe Lemieux) had better hands. At the same time, you can't really say Forsberg had better hands than Jagr either. They're all in the same category imo. Forsberg doesn't get as much recognition because he was injured quite often, not to mention playing in the west most of his career.

I mean, even Lemieux played 200 more games than him.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:52 PM
deandebean

Forsberg had great hands. Can't be compared to the king Lemieux, but in his own style, he was great.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Forsberg had great hands. Can't be compared to the king Lemieux, but in his own style, he was great.
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Cole
Desharnais-Eller-Leblanc
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust

That's what I want to see in 2013-2014. Give Galchenyuk the tools to succeed right away. That is one gue 1st line and the Eller would be a fantastic 2-way line.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Desharnais-Eller-Leblanc
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust

That's what I want to see in 2013-2014. Give Galchenyuk the tools to succeed right away. That is one gue 1st line and the Eller would be a fantastic 2-way line.
Don't fix what's not broken. DD stays with Cole and patches as long as they are effective.

We need some firepower on the wings pretty badly. I think it shows with that projected line-up. I would be willing to trade Plekanec if A. Galchenyuk proves to be good enough for top line duties right off the gate and B. if the return is good enough.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Desharnais-Eller-Leblanc
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust

I wouldn't mind splitting up Cole and Pacioretty (especially since I'm skeptical Cole can repeat last year), but that's interesting. I do like the idea of Desharnais and Eller playing together one way or another.

Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gionta might be interesting.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

I was watching the Subway Super Series. Man, am I happy to see us having Galchenyuk in our system...I wasn't impressed that much with the prospects but watching Galchenyuk playing in Sarnia right now, damn do we have a gem. Really eager to see Galchenyuk matching up against Yakupov and the Oilers in the future.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Don't fix what's not broken. DD stays with Cole and patches as long as they are effective.

We need some firepower on the wings pretty badly. I think it shows with that projected line-up. I would be willing to trade Plekanec if A. Galchenyuk proves to be good enough for top line duties right off the gate and B. if the return is good enough.
It's a team game, not a one line one. With that line clicking on all cylinders, we finished 28th. Team was very broken.

We need better distribution of our offense, and it may very well mean removing at least one guy.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:27 PM
DAChampion

Last year's number one line really reminds me of Higgins-Koivu-Ryder and Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev.

I remember at the start of the 2008-09 season, 100% of fans had Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev penciled in as the number 1 line.

Alas, Plekanec had the worst year of his career, Kovalev went from having a career year to having an average year (for which people called him a bum), and Kostitsyn had a concussion.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:34 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Are you sure that Gally can't play at Hamilton next year ? I've been told that he can, in theory, join Bulldogs this spring if they make playoff. I'm a bit confused.
What's the rules to play in AHL ?

Old
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Are you sure that Gally can't play at Hamilton next year ? I've been told that he can, in theory, join Bulldogs this spring if they make playoff. I'm a bit confused.
Players who developed in the CHL can't join the AHL until they're 20. Therefore, it's CHL or NHL.

There are some exceptions:

- A player can join his AHL team if his CHL team is eliminated.
- A player can join an AHL team if he has played (4???) years in the CHL, I think that's how Nathan Beaulieu is on the Bulldogs this year in spite of being 19.

In practice the rule means most players have to spend two years in the CHL after being drafted. I think the idea behind the rule is to help the CHL.

There's also the chance the rule gets changed, I'm not how often these rules get modified.

Given all this, we should expect Galchenyuk to be the 3rd line center on the Habs at the start of the 2013-2014 season.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:56 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
It's an agreement between the NHL and the AHL (so some guys drafted in Europe could play at 18). You have to turn 20 by december 31st of the season or have completed 4 seasons in a junior league.

So he's not eligible to play in the AHL, since he would be 19 and played 3 seasons.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I wouldn't mind splitting up Cole and Pacioretty (especially since I'm skeptical Cole can repeat last year), but that's interesting. I do like the idea of Desharnais and Eller playing together one way or another.

Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gionta might be interesting.
I'd also prefer Cole and Pacioretty being seperated. I would like to see a more balanced lineup as well instead of throwing all our eggs in one basket. Great stuff, we had one lined that produced, but we finished last, so big woop.

For me, assuming nothing changes next season, I would have liked to see

Leblanc Plekanec Cole
Pacioretty Galchenyuk Desharnais
Bourque Eller Gionta
Moen White Prust

For me it's about creating a balances team and a set of lines that you don't have to go crazy for matchups. Yes, matchups are always important, but the more options you have the better. We also need to stop looking at lines in the line 1, 2, 3, 4 framework. There is no first line etc etc. There is matchups and lines with specific roles.

This line also distributes the size throughout the line up as well as scoring depth. Plekanec for once will have two fore-checkers with some offensive talent. Leblanc isn't the biggest guy, but he is still a tenacious forechecker.

Galchenyuk is placed on a line where he can dish the puck to a scoring winger and have the puck distrubuted to him in Desharnais. Desharnais will also have his talents exploited as he has two players to distribute the puck to.

Eller with Gionta, a shoot-first guy and Bourque, also a shoot first guy, will give Eller two shooters with decent talent on the same line, something he hasn't had since he's been with the team. Also, a duo of Eller and Gionta makes the line pretty defensively aware.

I would feel comfortable with this lineup because I could pretty much matchup any line with any other of the opposing team's line aside from the grinders. Of course, we can't expect too much of Galchenyuk defensively (again I'm assuming he will develop in the way we hope by next season), which is why he'd still get an offensive role preferably against softer matchups.

Balance, matchups and depth. It's the key to winning.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:57 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Its quite possible he'll play as a winger next year if he makes the team. He seems to be able to play at full capacity at any forward position.

No, its not dramatic if he plays wing. He won't forget to play as a center and in fact having him as a winger would help ''easing him'' into the league. He'll get to play center every time one of our centers is injured or if one of them gets traded so eventually he can be a top2 center (in 2-3 years. no rush).

As for lineups, I think Leblanc should spend the year in Hamilton (full lockout or not) but definitely start with the team next season. He can start out on the third line but eventually he could be a 2nd line two way forward. He'll be a very useful top9 player that can be put in many offensive and defensive situations and help.

Old
11-06-2012, 03:06 AM
PricePkPatch

You know, I can see a Patch-Gal-DD line happening and be effective. Both DD have great vision, DD is one sneaky opportunist SoB that Gal would love feeding or be fed from, Patch is an effective and skilled player all around with established chemistry with David.

Although I am reluctant breaking up Cole and DD. Their respective styles and skillsets really are complimentary and synergic.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:19 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Gally doesn't have Forsberg's robustness though. Forsberg would just as soon go through you as around you. Not so much Gally.
This could be a good thing...longer career.
(as long as Galchy is effective at what he does...don't always have to go through people to be effective...ex: Lindros and Forsberg...players any team would take but career shortened by way too many injuries, over-robust, imo...but hey if that's the only way you can play you can't help yourself ,ex: Eric Lindros...he was like a football/rugby player out there!!).

I hope Galchenyuk always has a physical winger with him to do all the physical stuff (ex: Pacioretty, Cole,etc)...and let Galchy do all his magic.

Closed Thread