*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 09:50 PM
bidzey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Kitchener's beat the best team in the league twice this year, and they've looked like the better team in both games (Including this one, Kitchener dominated all night and if they weren't as snakebitten, game could have been won easily.
They won the first one in a shoot-out fair and square, but tonight's game they played a tired and beat-up team, and almost lost it, even with 11 power plays chances including a 5 on 3 for 2 full minutes. I think Kitchener is a really good team don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't give them too much credit for tonight if you consider all the factors.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:52 PM
JSavoire

I'd agree in watching the game that Murphy did the right thing in hauling down Brace but I also thought it would be just 2 minutes and not a penalty shot. Kitchener was the better team and it shouldn't have gone to OT. Now before I say they're finally out of their early season slump and things will be normal, I'll wait a few more games just not to jinx things.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
They won the first one in a shoot-out fair and square, but tonight's game they played a tired and beat-up team, and almost lost it, even with 11 power plays chances including a 5 on 3. I think Kitchener is a really good team don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't give them too much credit for tonight if you consider all the factors.
Every team has games where they will be tired and beat up, Kitchener's had that all year. Some weekends you will, sometimes you won't. Teams won't use this as an excuse, niether should fans. Only place it has some merit is in the NHL where some teams have to fly across the country than fly back because the schedule is ridiculous.

And even though you could say Kitchener almost lost it because it went to overtime, Kitchener was the better team all night, it's not like they scored those two goals in between getting dominated and let that slip away. They scored those two goals while dominating and gave up two goals that probably shouldn't have happened. Stuff like that happens, Spott can't be too disappointed besides the powerplay not working good but that's what happens when you play the team with the best record.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Teams won't use this as an excuse, niether should fans.
your right about "teams" should not have any excuses... but fans?? It's our job to come up with excuses when our team lose

Old
11-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
They won the first one in a shoot-out fair and square, but tonight's game they played a tired and beat-up team, and almost lost it, even with 11 power plays chances including a 5 on 3 for 2 full minutes. I think Kitchener is a really good team don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't give them too much credit for tonight if you consider all the factors.
Not to harp on anything too much but the 3 in 3 that the Attack just played may have been one of the softest ever for a road trip. 2 games in the same city against the leagues worse and softest team.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I understand not wanting to bench your captain, but if any other player not named Faksa, Reider or Puempel had made those mistakes (and particularly a young player), they wouldn't have seen the ice again. It's frustrating as hell to watch the favourites game every night.

As for the game, there is no excuse for not scoring on a 2-minute 5 on 3. Owen Sound's PKers deserve a lot of credit, but Kitchener has to fix the PP. It's simply too easy to defend against. Stand in front of Murphy. Done. This team needs to find the killer instinct that has been missing since Deboer's departure.

On the positive side of things, McEneny had a number of fantastic defensive plays and Gilbert continues to play a very smart game. And Bailey is going to be amazing.

2 points is 2 points - would have been better to not give OS a point, but it's better than nothing.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:44 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Well it appears that yes channel 20 on Rogers does show Rangers games when they happen and not the day after like how I thought originally. Here I was thinking of the replays of the games that are shown either the next day or a few hours after they occur.

Anywho, in preparation for my first live OHL and Rangers game experience tomorrow night I watched the game last night against Owen Sound. That one timer snipe goal in OT Murphy scored was sick.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:41 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Friday night games are shown live and then replayed Saturday morning. The rest of the time, they're shown live (unless it's a TV bingo night, then they're shown on tape delay - you don't mess with TV bingo).

Old
11-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Friday night games are shown live and then replayed Saturday morning. The rest of the time, they're shown live (unless it's a TV bingo night, then they're shown on tape delay - you don't mess with TV bingo).
they are also shown at midnight (sometimes at 1:00am). Of course if Guelph is playing the same night don't always count on the Rangers being on a specific time for tape delay...you may be watching or taping a Guelph game.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:11 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Not to harp on anything too much but the 3 in 3 that the Attack just played may have been one of the softest ever for a road trip. 2 games in the same city against the leagues worse and softest team.
I beg to differ... Even if they played in the same city 2 nights in a row it doesn't change the amount of distance they travelled. It probably would've been easier if the second game of the road trip wouldv've been half way up back to Kitchener, breaking the long haul into 2 days instead of them travelling the whole distance in 1 shot, just to meet a team that never lost at home yet. That's why they played them back to back because of how far it is.

As far as them playing a soft team, that is not true. First it doesn't matter who they play, I watched every Owen Sound game to date except for 1 (listen on the radio) and I have not seen any player take a break on any given shift yet. The team is where they are because the player always give 110% every shift. Erie was not a push over, the score was decieving. Erie even out played Owen Sound for a couple of periods. It's their 110% that they commited to for 60 minutes that gave them their results.

that my story and I'm sticking to it

Old
11-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
your right about "teams" should not have any excuses... but fans?? It's our job to come up with excuses when our team lose
I can't disagree!!
Other things fans do.....they tend to see their team in either a very positive or negative light (usually conversely to the opposition fans).
ie: While the Attack fans may feel good about their team coming back and stealin a point in each game vs Kitchener.
The Kitchener fans can look at this way...while the Attack is super hot they still has never beaten a Ranger team that hasn't played well. If the Attack can't beat the Rangers when they are sucking then.........

Old
11-05-2012, 07:27 AM
ORYX

Quote:
I beg to differ... Even if they played in the same city 2 nights in a row it doesn't change the amount of distance they travelled. It probably would've been easier if the second game of the road trip wouldv've been half way up back to Kitchener, breaking the long haul into 2 days instead of them travelling the whole distance in 1 shot, just to meet a team that never lost at home yet. That's why they played them back to back because of how far it is.

As far as them playing a soft team, that is not true. First it doesn't matter who they play, I watched every Owen Sound game to date except for 1 (listen on the radio) and I have not seen any player take a break on any given shift yet. The team is where they are because the player always give 110% every shift. Erie was not a push over, the score was decieving. Erie even out played Owen Sound for a couple of periods. It's their 110% that they commited to for 60 minutes that gave them their results.

that my story and I'm sticking to it
I see where you are coming from in a regard, but you are spreading it on thick.

Yes, Kitchener should not have gifted to Attack a point last night.

A 3 in 3 is tough for any team, I'll give you that, but dont try and milk it because they drove to Erie and played two games. It would be worse had they done the Saginaw, Soo, Sudbury trip, or even the Eastern swing. Could very well have played at 2pm sunday as well!

It's Owensounds fault they took so many Penalties, and Kitcheners fault for not putting the game out of reach when they had the opportunities.

All I'm hearing is excuse after excuse for why the Attack lost, and no admission that Kitchener outplayed them from puck drop. It is what it is, who cares. Kitchener plays their 4th in 6 on tuesday, does this mean that if they play like a bunch of nancies its okay? Not a chance, I as a fan, and the coaches and the players alike, expect to see the same effort and drive in game 1 of the season through game 68, no nights off. Period.

It may be a win for Kitchener, but it feels like a loss. I imagine that Loss for OS feels like a win.

The good news for Kitchener is that they are 1 point behind Guelph with a game in hand, and within reach of Owensound, all the while Guelph and OS are being touted as the top teams, and Kitchener as being an under performer to date.

Glad to see that all the while under performing, they are still in the hunt. Love to see what they look like when they are considered a top team, considering they are at the top still while underperforming.....

Time to acquire a little help offensively and see where that takes us. The 2nd PP unit needs a boost!

Old
11-05-2012, 11:36 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I see where you are coming from in a regard, but you are spreading it on thick.

Yes, Kitchener should not have gifted to Attack a point last night.

A 3 in 3 is tough for any team, I'll give you that, but dont try and milk it because they drove to Erie and played two games. It would be worse had they done the Saginaw, Soo, Sudbury trip, or even the Eastern swing. Could very well have played at 2pm sunday as well!

It's Owensounds fault they took so many Penalties, and Kitcheners fault for not putting the game out of reach when they had the opportunities.

All I'm hearing is excuse after excuse for why the Attack lost, and no admission that Kitchener outplayed them from puck drop. It is what it is, who cares. Kitchener plays their 4th in 6 on tuesday, does this mean that if they play like a bunch of nancies its okay? Not a chance, I as a fan, and the coaches and the players alike, expect to see the same effort and drive in game 1 of the season through game 68, no nights off. Period.

It may be a win for Kitchener, but it feels like a loss. I imagine that Loss for OS feels like a win.

The good news for Kitchener is that they are 1 point behind Guelph with a game in hand, and within reach of Owensound, all the while Guelph and OS are being touted as the top teams, and Kitchener as being an under performer to date.

Glad to see that all the while under performing, they are still in the hunt. Love to see what they look like when they are considered a top team, considering they are at the top still while underperforming.....

Time to acquire a little help offensively and see where that takes us. The 2nd PP unit needs a boost!
Kitchener outplayed Owen Sound, and it was a very intertaining game, can't wait for the next one. It's still a bit early to know who will come out on top by the end of the season.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Kitchener outplayed Owen Sound, and it was a very intertaining game, can't wait for the next one. It's still a bit early to know who will come out on top by the end of the season.
As a Ranger fan, I'm jealous of Owen Sound's tough, aggressive play. Say what you want about discipline (and it's valid) but that will be a very hard team to play in the playoffs.

As for the two head-to-head games so far, the first one was more entertaining. Last night's wasn't as sharp by either team. I'd honestly say Kitchener was the better team on both nights for whatever reason/excuse we want to use, but I fully expect the tables to be turned when the Attack are at home.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:39 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
As a Ranger fan, I'm jealous of Owen Sound's tough, aggressive play. Say what you want about discipline (and it's valid) but that will be a very hard team to play in the playoffs.

As for the two head-to-head games so far, the first one was more entertaining. Last night's wasn't as sharp by either team. I'd honestly say Kitchener was the better team on both nights for whatever reason/excuse we want to use, but I fully expect the tables to be turned when the Attack are at home.
I hope your right

Old
11-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
I hope your right
If you've seen Kitchener on the road this year, you can bank on it.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
palm5320

Regarding the proposed benching of Murphy, it won't happen. This is not a leauge where all players are treated the same and get the same treatment when they make mistakes. It's major junior hockey, and it's arguably the top developmental league in the world. Someone as good as Murphy is going to play big minutes all day long, as they should. Role players are going to have a shorter leash, as they do in any legitimate league. It's the same in the NHL. Dion Phaneuf can turn the puck over all he wants, he's still going to leaned on to play big minutes. If Cody Franson does the same thing, he's going to sit. That's just the reality of the game. The benefits of having a Ryan Murphy play every other shift far outweigh the consequences. For every turnover that results in a chance for the other team, there's several Rangers scoring chances created by Murphy, and that's what makes him great.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm5320 View Post
Regarding the proposed benching of Murphy, it won't happen. This is not a leauge where all players are treated the same and get the same treatment when they make mistakes. It's major junior hockey, and it's arguably the top developmental league in the world. Someone as good as Murphy is going to play big minutes all day long, as they should. Role players are going to have a shorter leash, as they do in any legitimate league. It's the same in the NHL. Dion Phaneuf can turn the puck over all he wants, he's still going to leaned on to play big minutes. If Cody Franson does the same thing, he's going to sit. That's just the reality of the game. The benefits of having a Ryan Murphy play every other shift far outweigh the consequences. For every turnover that results in a chance for the other team, there's several Rangers scoring chances created by Murphy, and that's what makes him great.
Very well said. I get that fans get frustrated when he makes a high profiled gaffe like last night. And many feel it's recurring, because it is. Anyone who handles the puck that often and for that long is bound to screw up. But what makes him vulnerable, also makes him great.

I'll glady take Ryan Murphy logging 35 minutes on my D corps and making a couple mistakes vs. not having him.

Old
11-05-2012, 03:31 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm5320 View Post
I beg to differ thus far this season:

Murphy has 12 points in 17 games. Within those 17 games, a 3 game stretch accounted for 8 of those 12 points.

That means in the 14 other games, he has generated 4 points, and a combined -5.

Sure you dont sit the kid, but the people who are arguing that he is playing fine are either blind or havent been watching.

He has generated nothing offensively aside from that 3 game stretch, has been a defensive liability, and has taken several foolish minor penalties.

Stop just looking at the name on the jersey and the player he is supposed to be, and start looking at the player we've got.

Yes he can be better, Yes I expect he will get better (as he did last season after his disasterous start) but lets not pretend that he is playing well.

He isnt and its pretty plain and simple, pretty obvious.....

Old
11-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I beg to differ thus far this season:

Murphy has 12 points in 17 games. Within those 17 games, a 3 game stretch accounted for 8 of those 12 points.

That means in the 14 other games, he has generated 4 points, and a combined -5.

Sure you dont sit the kid, but the people who are arguing that he is playing fine are either blind or havent been watching.

He has generated nothing offensively aside from that 3 game stretch, has been a defensive liability, and has taken several foolish minor penalties.

Stop just looking at the name on the jersey and the player he is supposed to be, and start looking at the player we've got.

Yes he can be better, Yes I expect he will get better (as he did last season after his disasterous start) but lets not pretend that he is playing well.

He isnt and its pretty plain and simple, pretty obvious.....
I have to disagree vehemately with this. Defensemen production (Especially in junior) depends greatly on scoring by everyone else. With a lack of secondary scoring, all the defensive pressure is on the big guns and that will affect a defensemen much more than a forward. Murphy's offensive production is his lowest since his rookie year, does that mean he's playing bad? Of course not.

He produces scoring chances every game, something no othter player does. He's better defensively than he's ever been, and he's no where close to a liability (This is the first game in a long time where he's been responsible for a goal against).

Lets not pretend because he's not on the same offensive pace that he isn't playing well. Defensemen need other offensive support to produce, you will never see a player not named Bobby Orr who can produce offensively even if the rest of his offense is struggling.

Let's stop creating him as a scapegoat.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I have to disagree vehemately with this. Defensemen production (Especially in junior) depends greatly on scoring by everyone else. With a lack of secondary scoring, all the defensive pressure is on the big guns and that will affect a defensemen much more than a forward. Murphy's offensive production is his lowest since his rookie year, does that mean he's playing bad? Of course not.

He produces scoring chances every game, something no othter player does. He's better defensively than he's ever been, and he's no where close to a liability (This is the first game in a long time where he's been responsible for a goal against).

Lets not pretend because he's not on the same offensive pace that he isn't playing well. Defensemen need other offensive support to produce, you will never see a player not named Bobby Orr who can produce offensively even if the rest of his offense is struggling.

Let's stop creating him as a scapegoat.
As frustrated as I was yesterday and in years gone past I agree with you on his play this year!

Old
11-05-2012, 09:06 PM
EvenSteven

As far as Murphy goes, if Spott didn't sit him as a 16 or 17 year old for these frequent gaffes, no way he'll do it now in his last year here. We are just going to have to live with his regular turnovers and hope they don't wind up in the net (poor Gibson deserved better last night) and maybe cost us a game or playoff series. He is our best d-man bar none and to sit him for the rest of the game, or even a portion of a close game doesn't make a lot of sense. Don't worry. His teammates understand, and accept, that there are two different sets of rules for the team's elite and the rest. It usually happens on any team.

Where Murphy is going to do his sitting, is at the next level - where he isn't the best d-man on the team and that team, be it Carolina or their affilate, is where Murphy will have to answer for his gaffes with more than a shoulder shrug or a blurb in the local paper accepting responcibility.

Another place Murphy won't have to answer for these gaffes is at the WJC. Because I can't for the life or me see him included on that team lockout or not! Who in their right mind would have him on the ice in a situation where just one bone head move like the one last night could cost you a gold medal?

I thought he had an outside shot to make the team as a 7th d-man to be used solely on the PP but in reality, he can't be trusted on the ice even in PP situations. If he continues to create turnovers against OHLers, how do you think he'll fare vs the world's best? There are plenty of junior aged d-men who are just as productive offensively while at the same time, are much more responcible defensively (Dougie Hamilton for one) that rank ahead of him.

Spott doesn't pick the WJC team, but he does have input. Can he, with a straight face, campaign to the rest of the selection committee for Murphy to make this team?

Old
11-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
As frustrated as I was yesterday and in years gone past I agree with you on his play this year!
And that's the point, we can't be frustrated because of 2 mistakes that can happen to anyone. I really can't understand the hate. Murphy isn't producing offensive so that means he's been horrible defensively and a bad player? Murphy hadn't cost the team defensively in any other game this season, so why are people saying it?

Rangers fans can be way too critical, way too hard on the team. You can't expect perfect players, and you can't expect to win every game. Murphy may exmplefy the irrational critque of the Rangers.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
nikos

This is ridiculous. We are talking about one of the most dynamic players in all of junior hockey at any position. The kid is entering his 19-year old season in the OHL and is clearly bored playing against inferior opposition. If it wasn’t for the NHL-CHL agreement this kid would be playing in the AHL and would be continuing to develop his game. Murphy was virtually unstoppable this past summer playing in the Canada-Russia Challenge as Canada’s co-leading scorer (tied with Ty Rattie/Jonathan Huberdeau) with 5 points. Many of you will also remember his performance at the 2011 IIHF World U18 Championships when he scored 13 points and was named defensemen of the tournament. The fact is this kid produces on the big stage when playing with players who share the same superior vision/hockey IQ he possesses.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:50 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
This is ridiculous. We are talking about one of the most dynamic players in all of junior hockey at any position. The kid is entering his 19-year old season in the OHL and is clearly bored playing against inferior opposition. If it wasn’t for the NHL-CHL agreement this kid would be playing in the AHL and would be continuing to develop his game. Murphy was virtually unstoppable this past summer playing in the Canada-Russia Challenge as Canada’s co-leading scorer (tied with Ty Rattie/Jonathan Huberdeau) with 5 points. Many of you will also remember his performance at the 2011 IIHF World U18 Championships when he scored 13 points and was named defensemen of the tournament. The fact is this kid produces on the big stage when playing with players who share the same superior vision/hockey IQ he possesses.
we all knew you were following this thread, we just wanted you to join the board... we didn't mean a single word if it welcome aboard

... and there we go!! now I have yet another excuse... OS don't have any players that belong to NHL farm teams!!!

Closed Thread