HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 03:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Last thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1197779

Continue here.

Old
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

kihei, regarding my post in the last thread, I have not seen The Loneliest Planet yet. I plan on watching it within the next week or so.

On a different note, has anyone seen Holy Motors? I'll be checking this out as well next week. It's playing in my city one night only. Really looking forward to it.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:30 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
kihei, regarding my post in the last thread, I have not seen The Loneliest Planet yet. I plan on watching it within the next week or so.

On a different note, has anyone seen Holy Motors? I'll be checking this out as well next week. It's playing in my city one night only. Really looking forward to it.
Yessir:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Holy Motors: 7/10
Holy Motors got quite a bit of buzz at Cannes after, for some reviewers, the "other limousine movie" actually upstaged Cronenberg's hotly-awaited Cosmopolis. Like Cosmopolis, Holy Motors is an assault of style, with most of the action taking place in a limosine prowling through the city (Paris, here). Its passenger is Mr. Oscar, played by Denis Lavant. Mr. Oscar's job seems to involve him taking a number of "assignments" which lead Mr. Oscar disguising himself and completing a multitude of bizarre scenarios - motion-capture, blacklit, dragon-avatared sex, dressing up like a freakish troll character and kidnapping supermodel Kay M (Eva Mendes), playing an old man on his deathbed, making a musical with Kylie Minogue, and picking up his daughter from a party. It's virtually impossible to find rhyme or reason to many of the events, but it remains a pretty fascinating ordeal, though it'll try the patience of many. Lavant in particular is incredible, and if nothing else, you'll want to keep watching the movie just to see how he transforms himself next. I feel like I need to see it at least one more time to start deciphering it though.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:09 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yessir:
Thanks. How would you describe the film's vibe / genre? I've read that it's a surreal, nightmarish, fever dream, but is it horror ? Fantasy? Dark comedy? Or would you say it's hard to classify? I kind of want to know what I'm getting into.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Stu Macher

Your review reminded me of something, Hototogisu. I really liked Cosmopolis, and sometimes I feel like I'm on an island.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Takeo

Paranormal Activity 4 - 4/10

The movie had very few scares, if any, and they needed to make a better effort with the back story. The only real pay off is the neck snap scene. There are multiple sequences where the video camera is blocked by a person/refrigerator door and you constantly wait for something to be standing in the background when said person/door moves away. But, as with most of the film, nothing ever happens. Except the neck snap. That was cool.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:48 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
The Lost World: Jurassic Park

5/10

Was good at first, was gonna give it a 7, then they got off the island and the movie went downhill after that.

On a side note, I'll also hand out rating for all the films I watched during this semester's film class thus far, we have to study them based on their merits as film adaptations, thought it could be interesting:

1. Nosferatu (1922) - 6/10 (Not the best oldie in my opinion, but entertaining by accident)
2. Brokeback Mountain (2005) - 9/10 (Terrific film, liked it more than when I saw it younger)
3. Way Down East (1920) - 6/10 (Classic black and white, but not my cup of tea otherwise)
4. His Girl Friday (1940) - 9/10 (Terrific slapstick starring Cary Grant, a new personal favorite)
5. Romeo and Juliet (1968) - 5/10 (It's technically perfect, but it's too straight Shakespeare for me)
6. Romeo + Juliet (1996) - 7/10 (Equal parts epic disaster and gloriously twisted)
7. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - 8/10 (Faithful adaptation is filmed Coppola-style)

Old
11-06-2012, 09:22 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
Thanks. How would you describe the film's vibe / genre? I've read that it's a surreal, nightmarish, fever dream, but is it horror ? Fantasy? Dark comedy? Or would you say it's hard to classify? I kind of want to know what I'm getting into.
Very hard to classify...something like a surreal black comedy with a stitched-together, almost improvisational feel. Not horror though. There isn't much of a plot so you've left to figure out what all these sequences mean. Very curious to hear your thoughts when you see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Your review reminded me of something, Hototogisu. I really liked Cosmopolis, and sometimes I feel like I'm on an island.
Actually I was inspired recently to go back and read my initial review of Cosmopolis. I think I only gave it something like a 6/10, but I think it's grown on me and deserves higher marks than that. Out of all the movies I've seen this year, it's certainly one that's stuck with me. I'm still not really crazy about the ending with Giamatti - seemed like a cliche in a movie almost completely devoid of them. Or maybe I just wanted him to spend the whole 2 hours in the damn limo.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:37 AM
XO

vCash: 50
Apocalypto 9/10. Just gets better and better. Rudy Youngblood is absolutely amazing.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Jeepers Creepers with Justin Long.

Was pretty boring, and quickly got out of hand. It was truly creepy until it became so supernatural. 5/10

Old
11-07-2012, 01:20 AM
eldiablo17

Cloud Atlas (2012)

Trying to write something about a movie like this can be quite hard. For one, many critics I hold in high regard believe this movie to something great. An opinion I cannot come to agree with, but gives me enough pause that despite my better judgement I may simply not get it. These multi-storyline film are so hard to create because each of the stories must be engaging despite working within a smaller time frame and there has to be a prominent thread to connect them all. Unfortunately I believe "Cloud Atlas" has failed on both of these levels.

While it might run close to three hours in length, that still only leaves under a half an hour per story and it shows. They seem split; some just shells of more complex stories while the others far too simple. Consequently the complex stories seem cliche since the movie never has time to get into the details which make it truly unique. Others I think stayed around too long, only to give a very basic lesson. In the end I look at these stories and none were particularly worth telling... or lasted long enough for us to discover why they are.

Yet if the message and strong than I would be more than happy to give this film the benefit of the doubt. I believe the major failing in "Cloud Atlas" is what we have heard so much of: the multiple roles each actor plays. Perhaps more specifically it is the type of actors cast. Tom Hanks is far from what I would call a character actor, and each time he appears on screen it is impossible not to know it is him, this goes for all the actors who are either far too famous or have too distinct of a look. All this causes the theme of people being interconnected through time to be shoved in the audience's face. Such a mystical and unquantifiable idea is made instantly observable destroying any chance of a brilliant "aha" moment as they all come together.

I usually stay away from trailers, but months ago I caught the extended one and thought to myself "this is either going to blow me away or be some glorious disaster." It is a disaster, but I don't regret going to see it for a second, in fact I would love to live in a world where we get 2 or 3 of these ridiculously ambitious films every year and the only way that is going to happen is if people support these types of films... perhaps with better directors next time though.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Game Change (or another similar title, the movie about Palin) , thought it was decent.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:42 AM
BluesOne31
We going insane

Pulp Fiction (10/10)
Reservoir Dogs (9.5/10)

After finally watching these, I'm pissed it took me so long to watch them. All that needs to be said is Tarantino is a genius.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Stories We Tell: 8.5/10
This deceptively simple documentary about actor/director Sarah Polley's family (I don't want to say any more for fear of spoiling a movie that should be seen with as little beforehand knowledge as possible) brings to mind the old onion comparison - the more layers you peel, the deeper it gets. It is a remarkably clever way to tell what is not only a fascinating story, but what could have easily been told in a much more ho-hum, straightforward style by a less interesting filmmaker. It's warm, heartfelt, funny, emotional, courageous and entirely engrossing. Highly recommended.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:46 PM
kihei

vCash: 4667

Midnight's Children (2012), by Deepa Mehta: On the stroke of midnight on the day that India achieves independence from Great Britain, a nurse, with reasons of her own, switches two babies so that the one from the rich family grows up poor and the one from the poor family grows up rich. This adaptation of Salman Rushdie's ambitious novel is a complex work that examines the fates of the two children, Saleem and Shiva, and their families, who all try to survive a turbulent 30-year period that represents the birth pains of modern India/Bangledesh/Pakistan. Add magic realism to the mix--Saleem can conjure "midnight's children," all the other children born in India at the same hour, to his room at will--and you get a movie that tries to accomplish too much with only limited success. Rushdie wrote the screenplay from his novel and even with all of the material that he left in place, he still must resort to numerous intrusive voice overs to clarify the significance of some of these events. They are really literate voice overs, for sure. But this material works much better in a book that relies upon the reader's imagination than it does in a movie where everything is literally translated, even a character's ability to make things invisible. I give Mehta points for trying to pull this off and, indeed, she comes up with some beautiful images. Nonetheless, the overall result is a film that is scattered and thematically indistinct.

Last edited by kihei: 11-08-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old
11-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Thirst (2009):

Watched this for the 2nd or 3rd time, haven't seen in in about 2 years. Just as good/solid of a movie as I remembered. Visually captivating (typical of Park Chan-Wook). Kim Ok-Bin steals every scene she's in (even when she's in the background or out of focus). Her range of emotion in this movie is great. Definitely worth a watch for her performance alone. 8.5/10.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:31 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Latest film in Film Adaptation class: Apocalypse Now

Rating: 10/10

The film was disturbing on several levels, mind-blowing on all of them.

Two things that made me laugh: as we exited the classroom, one student said "Well, now I don't know what to do with my life." Second, as I left the building, three students were talking and I overheard them saying how the film was a waste of 2 and a half hours. I was like

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 11-07-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 01:07 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Midnight's Children (2012), by Deepa Mehta:
This is one of the most cinematic literary works I have ever read. Rushdie was obviously inspired by Bollywood films, since he constantly uses phrases such as: "Now the camera cuts to a close-up.."

Yet ironically, even while reading the novel, I had a suspicion that it would be nearly impossible to faithfully adapt it on the big screen. Plot-wise at least, it's a bit too complex and overdrawn.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:14 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
This is one of the most cinematic literary works I have ever read. Rushdie was obviously inspired by Bollywood films, since he constantly uses phrases such as: "Now the camera cuts to a close-up.."

Yet ironically, even while reading the novel, I had a suspicion that it would be nearly impossible to faithfully adapt it on the big screen. Plot-wise at least, it's a bit too complex and overdrawn.
It's the kind of movie that critics used to refer to as "a noble failure." I'd very much like to hear your opinion of the film if you see it.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Stu Macher

I saw Cloud Atlas last night, and don't know exactly what I think of it. I agree with Leonard Maltin, who said it was enthralling and frustrating at the same time.

Maybe my best example of my thoughts is to compare it to something else. In this case, it's when a band performs a medley of many of their songs. If you don't like the song their doing at the time, at least another one will becoming soon, but the songs you like never last as long as you'd like. It can be kind of neat, but overall not entirely satisfying. I thought the story about Jim Broadbent in the retirement community was painful.

It does get my pick as "Most Likely for Me to Come Around On", or as I call it, the Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy Award.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:37 PM
kihei

Skyfall (2012), directed by Sam Mendes: This must be the least bombastic Bond plot in history. After an opening sequence that is a real dandy, Skyfall becomes a relatively straightforward story of one rouge spy's quest for revenge against those who he believes wronged him in the past. Great Britain and its spy agency M16 look threadbare, like they have seen far better days, and so it is no wonder that Bond looks a little over the hill, too. This risky approach represents something of a change of pace for the series, but it results in a very entertaining movie. What wins out here isn't so much the modest story as the style in which it is told. Mendes' direction is gorgeous; the movie is beautifully shot from start to finish by cinematographer Roger Deakens. It helps that Craig is really on his game and gives a fine performance and that Javier Bardem downplays his villain's menace and just has fun with the role. But it is the look of the film that makes it a memorable and a worthy addition to the Bond canon.

Top Ten 2012 so far

1. Amour, Haneke, France
2. A Simple Life, Hui, Hong Kong
3. Rhino Season, Ghobadi, Iran
4. No, Larrain, Chile
5. A Royal Affair, Arcel, Denmark
6. Oslo, August 31, Trier, Norway
7. Tabu, Gomes, Portugal
8. Skyfall, Mendes, US
9. Norwegian Wood, Tran, Japan
10. Mekong Hotel, Weerasethakul, Thailand

Last edited by kihei: 11-08-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Stu Macher

I just got back from Skyfall, and I think it's the best action film of the year. Keep in mind this is the year that gave us The Avengers, which I loved.

There were a few things I didn't love, most of which were things harking back to the classic Bond films. The biggest of them is the bad guy being rather flamboyant at times, an unfortunate Bond movie cliche. I think Bardem does great in the role, and brings another level to it, it's just a nitpicky thing.

Overall, I loved it.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
kihei

Lincoln (2012), directed by Stephen Spielberg: This account of how Lincoln managed to abolish slavery through the passing of the 13th Amendment in Congress is Spielberg's best movie since Munich. That's not saying a whole lot, but my intent is not to damn Lincoln with faint praise. It is a good story, well told, one of the best the States has to offer. Though the movie is long, not to mention long winded, it is a convincingly presented interpretation of a momentous historical event. There are a couple of needless subplots that focus on Lincoln's son (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, thoroughly wasted in the role) and his wife (Sally Field) that slow the movie down and detract from its central focus: how Lincoln managed to get his contentious amendment ratified by a hugely skeptical Congress. Day Lewis' impersonation of Lincoln is indeed impressive, though whenever Tommy Lee Jones is on screen, he steals the movie. The script is intelligent but wordy; my eyes glazed over in some of the extended middle sections in which there is just too much yadda, yadda, yadda. But I ended up feeling that I had a better understanding of how the politics of this amendment worked than I had before I entered the theatre. As with most didactic works, it is not the sort of movie that will send pulses racing, but it is a job well done by all concerned.

Last edited by kihei: 11-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
Metal Tornado (2011)

3/10

Old
11-09-2012, 07:03 PM
eldiablo17

Skyfall (2012)

I am very lukewarm towards this movie which is disappointing as I am also a huge Bond fan. The beginning gave me hope, an epic chase scene to rival that of Casino Royale certainly had me on the edge of my seat. After that the impeccable cinematography takes center stage making this the most spellbinding film of series as we travel from China to Macau. Yet it runs into a gigantic problem soon after. While trying to pay tribute to it being the 50th year of Bond films, it takes not only this movie, but the entire franchise, far too seriously. The first third is great, but soon after Bardem comes into play and adds the much needed life that Craig's bond was lacking, we enter a completely nonsensical series of events that if it was any closer to The Dark Knight, Nolan would have right to sue. That took me completely out of the movie, all the action felt cheap and unearned. James Bond isn't known for being original, but to take so much from one other movie, and not allow a cohesive plot to form... it was just really bad. The final act doesn't fair much better as it gets more serious and more referential. I really like Casino Royale (a much better movie IMO) because they started fresh, giving the changes made to the franchise to be built under their own merit. Yet by recognizing the past so much while trying to maintain a movie that has such a different tone than that past I couldn't help but think that they were being awfully pompous about what James Bond is, which was for the most part very over-the-top fun whereas Skyfall is quite the opposite. Although they did add one essential part of Bond movies, exceptionally questionable decisions and actions... ugh.

I'll give this movie a pass because of a captivating beginning but it got boring, predictable and somewhat insulting given how blatantly it ripped off The Dark Knight. Very disappointing given the hype but still better than the previous instalment.

Closed Thread