HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the season is wiped out - Lupul, Bozak, Conolly etc are UFA's

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2012, 06:40 PM
  #76
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,942
vCash: 500
In this case I would re-sign Lupul and Bozak (depending of course on contract demands) and spend any available cap space on a center and a veteran goalie (preferably short term on the goalie).

If there's anything left after that, I'd go after a physical veteran 3rd liner.

The scenario some people have brought up in letting everyone go and going full on after Getzlaf and Perry doesn't seem realistic because there is the potential we let Lupul and Bozak go and Getzlaf/Perry sign with someone else (like Anaheim) leaving us with a problem.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:45 PM
  #77
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,790
vCash: 72
Re-sign lupul, sign Getzlaf,

Lupul - Getzlaf - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - JVR
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel - Brown

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:59 PM
  #78
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos Pest View Post
Keep Lupul. You let him walk because you think his past season was a... fluke? Have you seen his highlights? That isn't a fluke. He's scored in every which way and has made Kessel better. Yup, Kessel's amazing season can be attributed to his partner in crime, Lupul.

And I don't think he'll be getting 6M+ and I'm very comfortable signing him for 5M.

Sign Bozak, makes an excellent 3rd line center.

Let the rest waaaaalk. Even though I like Lombardi, just no room for him.
oh dear. i really dislike posts like this. "Highlights"? like on YouTube?

do they have highlights of him killing penalties, blocking shots, open ice checks, and the odd scrap? is there any highlight videos of Lupul with the music of One Direction playing?


ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
  #79
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilfactor View Post
We need some more size up front and neither Bozak or Macarthur address that. Plus with Kadri, Frattin, Colborne, Komarov, D'Amigo etc all waiting in the wings, we have too many bodies
We need size / grit in the top 6, not in the bottom 6. Colborne could become an ideal replacement for Grabo, and grealy help our top 6's size by removing the smurfiest player. Similarly, Mac has no room in the top 6, either.

Kulemin (6'1", 225 lbs, 1.4 hits/game) - Bozak (6'1", 195 lbs, 1.6 hits/game) - Frattin (6'1", 200 lbs, 1.4 hits/game) shouldn't be a bad 3rd line. Bit of sand paper, decent size, and we have a pretty defensively responsible line (if Frattin can get his defensive game together) who can pitch in with some production.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:10 PM
  #80
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Off the wall, but how about not re-signing Dion.
I'd rather not sign Perry, than let Dion walk. Phaneuf brings more to the table than one more sniper would, not to mention that both Perry and Kessel play RW.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:15 PM
  #81
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
Bozak is replacable...easily. By a kid on the farm or some other NHLer.

And he's not a top 6 player or an ideal bottom 6 player. See you later.

I'd rather see Joe Colborne take his place as a center, couldn't do any worse and would come cheaper.
Colborne is not as gritty, and nowhere near as good at faceoffs, or defensive positioning, speed, etc. Colborne will have to get past the roadblock (Grabo) to bust into the top 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
IMO him and MacArthur are decent trade bait. I wouldn't mind getting picks for those two.


You'd be lucky to get a player as versatile out of that mystery box.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:28 PM
  #82
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,621
vCash: 500
Sign Connolly for under 2 Mil to play on the 3rd line wing. He's a usefull player, just not worth 4.75.

Lupul of course, MacA if you can get him for the proper price.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:29 PM
  #83
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebih View Post
Sign Connolly for under 2 Mil to play on the 3rd line wing. He's a usefull player, just not worth 4.75.

Lupul of course, MacA if you can get him for the proper price.
You don't think we have enough 3rd liners, you want to re-sign 2 more?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:42 PM
  #84
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
You don't think we have enough 3rd liners, you want to re-sign 2 more?
Connolly plays D better than anyone short of Kuli on the team. We really don't have any good 3rd line players other than those two.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
  #85
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy
 
Mystifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: YYT
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,324
vCash: 500
Cap will fall under the next CBA making the majority of these losses moot. I would not be surprised to see a cap of 59 to 63 million. We will still be in a better situation than some other teams but we wont have as much cap space as we think.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:05 PM
  #86
Jax Teller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Re-sign Lupul - 2 years at 5 million per
Re-sign Bozak - 2 years at 2.75 million per

I'd wait on signing MacArthur, I'd prefer a grittier top-9 forward like Perry, Iginla, Horton, Clowe, Clarkson or Morrow. But, if the Leafs miss out I'd welcome him back.

Bozak would obviously be signed with the intention of him playing on the third line. I also think re-signing Bozak gives Kessel more incentive to stay. I'd be looking at Getzlaf, Weiss, Zajac, Roy, Ribiero, Filppula and McDonald as possible #1 centers.

Jax Teller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
  #87
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebih View Post
Connolly plays D better than anyone short of Kuli on the team. We really don't have any good 3rd line players other than those two.
Debatable, but even if true, he's not exactly the most durable player around. You're lucky to get 70 games out of him a season. Wouldn't you want someone a bit brittle as your "defensive specialist"? As a veteran, he isn't exactly the best role model for our prospects, either, only giving a half @$$ed effort every other night.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:11 PM
  #88
Chips*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Cap will fall under the next CBA making the majority of these losses moot. I would not be surprised to see a cap of 59 to 63 million. We will still be in a better situation than some other teams but we wont have as much cap space as we think.
You're forgetting that teams will be allowed to spend up to the current cap hit for the next year, which would allow the signing of other players, since even more of a burden (Komi) gets released after 2013-2014.

Chips* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:23 PM
  #89
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Would anyone complain about a 2 year deal worth 10 million for Lupul? Gives him a chance to prove he can repeat his performance and not hinder the team too bad in the process.
Lupul might. Bet he could get better term and overall money elsewhere.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:24 PM
  #90
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Debatable, but even if true, he's not exactly the most durable player around. You're lucky to get 70 games out of him a season. Wouldn't you want someone a bit brittle as your "defensive specialist"? As a veteran, he isn't exactly the best role model for our prospects, either, only giving a half @$$ed effort every other night.
Ok, let's debate it then. Who would you rather have as your third line guy going forward?

He doesn't really put a half @#R$ effort. You are right, he's injured..a lot. It must affect his compete level. The truth is though, he blocked more shots than any other forward last year. Not only is that being a good role model but it's also a requirement in the NHL right now.(or at least in 11/12)

He has skill and to be totally honest we don't have anyone that is a lock for that position. He may be injured for a third of the season, this could be Frattin's window to prove that he can play D. A year at 2 mil for him wouldn't break the bank. If some other team wants to give him more, let him walk. I don't see it though.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:31 PM
  #91
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
If we sign Getz and Perry: re-sign Lupul, maaaaaaaaaybe Bozak if cheap.

If we don't: Resign Lupul, Mac and one of Bozak/Connolly.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:05 PM
  #92
81
═デ┳︻
 
81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chiraq
Posts: 7,933
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Re-sign lupul, sign Getzlaf,

Lupul - Getzlaf - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - JVR
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel - Brown
Reemer - Getzlaf - Perry
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Mac/Fratt - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - McClement - Brown

D is a mystery, maybe Rielly makes it or something.

Backstrom
Reimer

81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:15 PM
  #93
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
They can all walk with the exception of maybe steckel then sign Perry and Getzlaf...

Leafs would end up having a good chunk of that superstar world junior team that won gold for the first time in 7 years. Perry, Getzlaf, Phaneuf, MaCarthur.
What if we let them go and Perry and Getz don't want to sign here. Then we let one of out top 2 forwards walk for nothing.

Hard to imagine, I know but teams on a 7 year playoff drought may not be the most attractive destination.

Why do so many people assume it is so easy to sign UFAs?

cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:17 PM
  #94
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,878
vCash: 500
Connolly kinda getting a lot of unwarranted hate. Let me explain - I understand he's obviously not worth 4.75 million nor was he what we expected, but he's not useless . It was nice to have a forward who understood the word "defense" and "positioning" other than Nikolai Kulemin. Would I re-sign him? Nothing close to 4.75, so probably not.

Re-sign Lupul, Bozak and MacArthur.


edit: Didn't read namettbih's post. He's bang on.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:17 PM
  #95
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Colborne is not as gritty, and nowhere near as good at faceoffs, or defensive positioning, speed, etc. Colborne will have to get past the roadblock (Grabo) to bust into the top 6.





You'd be lucky to get a player as versatile out of that mystery box.
But the mystery box could be anything it could even be a player as good as Bozak....

cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:50 PM
  #96
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,578
vCash: 500
LUpul I resign for sure. Fluke or not, on the scoresheet, the chemistry he had with Kessel warrants at the very least a 2 year deal. I could see his agent pushing for 3X5M.

At first blush I would say drop the rest but we really can't.

At decent salaries, guys like Mac, Connolly, Bozak are pieces that could get picks at the deadline.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
  #97
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
But the mystery box could be anything it could even be a player as good as Bozak....
It's not that hard to find a player as good as Bozak.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:21 PM
  #98
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,913
vCash: 500
MacArthur is so underrated on these boards. High hockey IQ, good playmaker, not a bad goal scorer, decent toughness and two way play. Solid 2nd line winger, or an excellent 3rd line winger. He's not exactly old either, he's 27. No need to let him walk just to make room for AHLers, we should absolutely re-sign him as long as he's willing to sign a reasonable contract. He'll be a quality contributor for us, and if younger guys truly play well enough to take his spot, then he can be dealt for a decent return.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:29 PM
  #99
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebih View Post
Ok, let's debate it then. Who would you rather have as your third line guy going forward?

He doesn't really put a half @#R$ effort. You are right, he's injured..a lot. It must affect his compete level. The truth is though, he blocked more shots than any other forward last year. Not only is that being a good role model but it's also a requirement in the NHL right now.(or at least in 11/12)

He has skill and to be totally honest we don't have anyone that is a lock for that position. He may be injured for a third of the season, this could be Frattin's window to prove that he can play D. A year at 2 mil for him wouldn't break the bank. If some other team wants to give him more, let him walk. I don't see it though.
TL;DR: Using shot blocks as the defensive measure of a player is folly.

Well, to start, $2M on a 1 year contract isn't going to happen with a 31 year old player with so much talent, and a lot to prove. I have never questioned his skill level. The guy is good, he didn't get picked 5th overall for no reason, and has shown during his career on occasion that he has the skillset. That skill doesn't just disappear, and he's shown some flashes even in Leafs uniform. The fact that these moments are few and far between is a clear indication of his effort level to me.

As for using blocked shots for as a measure of defensive prowess, and determination level... Other than Steckel (for obvious reasons), Connolly received the most SH:TOI from our forwards last season. This is where the majority of blocked shots come from, so naturally, his stats should indicate that.

If we examine the ratio of blocked shots vs SH:TOI, we notice that Connolly isn't that exception of a shot blocker. I realize this is not 100% correct, since shot blocks happen even strength as well, and this method completely ignores those, but it still gives an idea of how SH:TOI effect the # of blocked shots.

PlayerES:ToISH:ToIBlk1 Blk/X SH s
Steckel787:29174:0266158
Connolly940:12118:517694
Crabb788:27105:0934186
Kulemin919:5685:2243119
Lombardi736:3777:5734138
Dupuis240:4073:2416275
Bozak1121:5350:033488
Brown430:3131:372479

Sorted by SH:TOI

Ideally, some sort of ratio would be used between ES:ToI and SH:ToI to calculate block ratio, that is 80% (just a random figure) of blocked shots come on the PK. I don't have the patience to figure out that number, though.

Connolly is a better shot blocker than Steckel, but the above table doesn't factor in the fact that Steckel wins a lot more faceoffs than Connolly, allowing the PK unit to clear the zone more often (hence requiring less shot blocks).

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:32 PM
  #100
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
TL;DR: Using shot blocks as the defensive measure of a player is folly.

Well, to start, $2M on a 1 year contract isn't going to happen with a 31 year old player with so much talent, and a lot to prove. I have never questioned his skill level. The guy is good, he didn't get picked 5th overall for no reason, and has shown during his career on occasion that he has the skillset. That skill doesn't just disappear, and he's shown some flashes even in Leafs uniform. The fact that these moments are few and far between is a clear indication of his effort level to me.

As for using blocked shots for as a measure of defensive prowess, and determination level... Other than Steckel (for obvious reasons), Connolly received the most SH:TOI from our forwards last season. This is where the majority of blocked shots come from, so naturally, his stats should indicate that.

If we examine the ratio of blocked shots vs SH:TOI, we notice that Connolly isn't that exception of a shot blocker. I realize this is not 100% correct, since shot blocks happen even strength as well, and this method completely ignores those, but it still gives an idea of how SH:TOI effect the # of blocked shots.

PlayerES:ToISH:ToIBlk1 Blk/X SH s
Steckel787:29174:0266158
Connolly940:12118:517694
Crabb788:27105:0934186
Kulemin919:5685:2243119
Lombardi736:3777:5734138
Dupuis240:4073:2416275
Bozak1121:5350:033488
Brown430:3131:372479

Sorted by SH:TOI

Ideally, some sort of ratio would be used between ES:ToI and SH:ToI to calculate block ratio, that is 80% (just a random figure) of blocked shots come on the PK. I don't have the patience to figure out that number, though.

Connolly is a better shot blocker than Steckel, but the above table doesn't factor in the fact that Steckel wins a lot more faceoffs than Connolly, allowing the PK unit to clear the zone more often (hence requiring less shot blocks).
If Bozak plays in a 3C role, he would be one of our top PKers. His PK stats are deflated because of the amount of time he spent 5 on 5 and on the PP on the first line

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.