HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Matthew Finn The Steal Of The 2012 NHL Entry Draft?

Old
11-05-2012, 12:25 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

vCash: 500
And I could see Finn being a steal, he was ranked 1st round Dman on most scouts lists.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
He is very smart and efficient, doesn't wow u at all. There were 2-3 chances of a nice breakout that he just threw around the boards or bad pass but by the 3rd he was good. Prolly first time being on a big stage like that tbh.
This is not a redboard, but I commented many times before the draft I had Finn in there with Ceci, Trouba, Koekkoek, Maatta, higher than Mathieson(though from all I her this kid is a sleeper) Didn't know enough about Lindholm.

The reason he may have slipped is his skills are not as obvious as the others, nothing stands out about Matt except he is efficient. The fact he was high on Seidel and Button's gives the Leafs cache that he was indeed a steal at #35. Too early though to say he is the steal of the draft, but at this point in time, he may be.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Buffalo getting Grigorenko in the teens may be the steal, he could be the best player to come out of this draft, but Finns a real good 2nd round pick

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:26 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1111
I don't think he was a steal , although i believe he was a good pick . This was a deep draft and it pushed him into the 2nd round .

I believe he's a Gunner type of player in the sense that he's smart and does alot of things well but nothing great .

Last edited by hotpaws: 11-05-2012 at 08:34 AM.
hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Interactif

I mentioned 2 guys I liked in the Leafs prospects thread, Gemel Smith could have been a Leaf had we not traded for Steckel. Urgh.

Dalton Thrower went a couple picks prior to the 2nd rd pick we gave away for Liles, so we wouldn't have gotten him, makes it a little easier.

These 2 guys may be steals in a few years from now.

Thrower is exactly the defenceman that would have complimented Rielly, Finn, Gardiner, and Percy in 2 or 3 years.

Tough seeing him in a Habs uniform, they have a good one in Dalton.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I don't think he was a steal , although i believe he was a good pick . This was a deep draft and it pushed him into the 2nd round .

I believe he's a Gunner type of player in the sense that he's smart and does alot of things well but nothing great .
This is what I would have typed.

The fact he is a "steady eddy" type reliable player is main reason he fell out of the first round.. This more for being a safe, well rounded player, as opposed to teams swinging for the fences in the 1st round looking for those elite skills in one area where a player excels.

A lot of junior players have the early feel of a Matt Finn at this level, its not uncommon.. Former Leaf Brendan Bell an example of a well rounded OHLer that captained the Ottawa 67's back in the day and that excelled similarly..

Quote:
ie Brendan Bell's 2002-03 accolades;

2002-03 - Ottawa 67's - OHL .............. 55 games 14 goals 39 assists 53 points 46 pims +50
2002-03 - Ottawa 67's - OHL Playoffs .. 23 games 8 goals 19 assists 27 points 25 pms

- CHL Defenseman of the Year
- CHL First All-Star Team, OHL First All-Star Team
- OHL Most Outstanding Defenseman "Max Kaminsky Trophy"
- U20 WJC Silver Medal
We would be fortunate to have the next Carl Gunnarsson here in the making with this pick.. You really don't know what you will get when the final product is fully developed, when using projections to a similar style former player.

11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
It would be nice to have a "steal" again. Kaberle was probably are last good one although nobody saw him as what he became, so it might be hard to catorgorize him as a steal. I see stealing a player as someone who was rated highly or at least rated in the first round who drops for whatever reason, or who is lesser known but highly rated by those who have seen him play. Maybe an Antropov who didn't have his early leg issues might have become a steal. For other teams, Sakic was a steal for Quebec. (drafted 15th overall while Leafs picked Luke Richardson 7th overall).

Hard to say, fun to predict. Impossible to know until they have had a good stab at the NHL. Brendan Bell was a disappointment, but I wouldn't say he was rated as high as Finn is. Bell is still only 29 but has not been able to stick with any team despite flashes of promise. I would hope Finn turns out to be more of a sure thing.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I mentioned 2 guys I liked in the Leafs prospects thread, Gemel Smith could have been a Leaf had we not traded for Steckel. Urgh.

Dalton Thrower went a couple picks prior to the 2nd rd pick we gave away for Liles, so we wouldn't have gotten him, makes it a little easier.

These 2 guys may be steals in a few years from now.
Are you trying to suggest that trading away picks when you're rebuilding is a silly thing to do?

Yea, there are a few guys I would have loved to grab. Malcolm Subban being near the top of the list. We have a number of guys who I'm REALLY hoping get sold off at the deadline this year. Lombardi, Connolly, and MacArthur for sure, I don't think any of them have a spot in the longterm plans. If we did that we could probably nab a top goalie prospect and another prospect. And then Bozak/Lupul depending on contract negotiations, I could see it worth our while to keep both of them but don't want to see either walk for nothing. We're not even remotely close to contenders, no point in holding onto pending UFAs.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Are you trying to suggest that trading away picks when you're rebuilding is a silly thing to do?

Yea, there are a few guys I would have loved to grab. Malcolm Subban being near the top of the list. We have a number of guys who I'm REALLY hoping get sold off at the deadline this year. Lombardi, Connolly, and MacArthur for sure, I don't think any of them have a spot in the longterm plans. If we did that we could probably nab a top goalie prospect and another prospect. And then Bozak/Lupul depending on contract negotiations, I could see it worth our while to keep both of them but don't want to see either walk for nothing. We're not even remotely close to contenders, no point in holding onto pending UFAs.
Agree with this. Really would have liked to see us move some depth at the deadline to stockpile some additional picks in the 2nd to 4th round range. Some decent depth in the draft last year and some good value available in the range mentioned above. Also, we have some youngsters like Kadri, Frattin, and Ashton, who could easily step in and replace the likes of Lombardi, Connolly and McArthur. Now...whether we could actually move those players for picks is another story.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Our D is set for the future, that's for sure. Now just have to work on goal and our forward group for the future, which may just be the next draft.
Yes, the Leafs have excellent young d-men coming up through the system. These young d would develop much better if the Leafs had a real #1 goalie. I sure hope these young d don't follow the development curve of Luke Schenn: look great until they have to play in front of poor goaltending, and thus, they lose confidence.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:18 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Also, we have some youngsters like Kadri, Frattin, and Ashton, who could easily step in and replace the likes of Lombardi, Connolly and McArthur. Now...whether we could actually move those players for picks is another story.
Last year I don't think we could have moved Lombardi, Connolly maybe. MacArthur yes definitely.

This year since they'll all be on expiring contracts? I'm sure we could get picks (of varying value). And like you said, given the prospects knocking at the door, I don't think our NHL team would even take a hit.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Last year I don't think we could have moved Lombardi, Connolly maybe. MacArthur yes definitely.

This year since they'll all be on expiring contracts? I'm sure we could get picks (of varying value). And like you said, given the prospects knocking at the door, I don't think our NHL team would even take a hit.
Agreed. Think McArthur was only one on that list we could get any realistic value back. Other two would be contract dumps, and not sure if even that could be accomplished. Burke mentioned that he could have received three first rounders for some players. Not sure who those players were, but would have been real nice to pickup additional picks last year.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Way too early to tell

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:39 PM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
High scoring smallish forwards are a dime a dozen in junior and often don't amount to much. We got Connor Brown around the same time, and despite being able to score so frequently is probably a longshot at best for the NHL.

Finn definitely doesn't qualify here. We do potentially have a steal but time will tell. Right now Finn is proving to everyone that he should have been a mid 1st round pick. Which is great for us, but nothing more than that yet.
IMO Matt Finn got drafted right around where he should have. An early poster commented on his "great skating" and Interactif mentioned Blacker. Finn's skating is really just above average and Blacker was a better skater at the same age. Blacker is also bigger and plays a more physical game than Finn. I'm simply pointing out 2 factors working against Finn - he is not an elite skater and does not have great size. Ian White was smaller than Finn but a much better skater. This doesn't mean Finn won't surpass Blacker or rise to Ian White's level, but you can only have so many 6' tall or so dmen like Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker etc. and Rielly is clearly at the head of that class. While I don't love Franson, you have to have the odd decent sized dman other than Phaneuf back there.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 03:45 PM
stormtracker

Interesting comments. I have watched Finn for dozens of games the past couple of years as a Storm season ticket holder. Mostly, I am encouraged.

(1) He continues to show upside in terms of his offensive capabilities, his leadership, and the sheer number of minutes he puts in.

(2) he is versatile as he plays close to equal time on each side of the ice.

(3) he is very deft in playing the point.

(4) last year when he was out of the lineup the team's overall performance plummetted until he was back. The other players get confidence from his presence.

Finn is not a flashy player. Hopefully, he can be Serge Savard to
Rielly's Larry Robinson (for those who have some knowledge of some past Habs teams).

stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Really like this pick, always love when we pick players who were lifelong Leafs fans

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Man Bear Pig

Never understood why we're so obsessed with the word "steal" when referring to the draft. Finn was a great pick because he was a guy who slipped for whatever reason and that's it at this point. Give it a few years.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Wendelstache

you guys sound like pierre mcguire on draft day, literally every pick was a "steal".

wait a few years than we'll know

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:50 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Never understood why we're so obsessed with the word "steal" when referring to the draft. Finn was a great pick because he was a guy who slipped for whatever reason and that's it at this point. Give it a few years.
when i say steal i mean by how much he fell, i thought it was a typo when i first saw it, like most people have said he was ranked in the top 20 on most lists.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:39 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I think we were real lucky to land Finn in the second round but "The Steal Of The 2012 NHL Entry Draft" is a bit too sensational for my liking. This is the kind of title that attracts mockery from rivals.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
when i say steal i mean by how much he fell, i thought it was a typo when i first saw it, like most people have said he was ranked in the top 20 on most lists.
It's also odd to me that a top pick is considered a steal. A 6th,7th rounder, now that's a steal.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:53 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Let's say, he's a great value pick. Really liked him at the time of the draft, and I was happy to see the Maple Leafs select him. Hopefully he continues to develop and he may, over time, excel in a key area of the game (or just excel as an all-round defenseman).

11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
I think we were real lucky to land Finn in the second round but "The Steal Of The 2012 NHL Entry Draft" is a bit too sensational for my liking. This is the kind of title that attracts mockery from rivals.
Agreed, as a "steal" implies robbery at the draft table, whereas Matt Finn was ranked as a late 1st round (20-30th) overall potential selection and he fell to 5th pick of the 2nd round #35 overall in a strong draft year.

This situation happens regularly ever single draft, where a player might jump or fall in between 10-15 spots of his final draft ranking. When a player goes roughly where he is expected to, that's more the norm than an exception as the word "steal" implies. If teams are drafted based on best player available, I'm guessing that Leafs are pleasantly surprised that Finn was available at their selection, and took him, as opposed to having him targeted there with that pick.

This wouldn't constitute "steal" at such an early stage, just months after being drafted anyways, as it will be his NHL contribution in the future that will determine the value of the selection in comparison to those drafted with him in this entry draft.

Last edited by Mess: 11-06-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:09 AM
SarcazemKadri

Only able to tell in 3 years. Right now he looks like a solid pick. However, guys like Collberg, McCabe, Thrower etc could make a case down the road.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Edbleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
i agree with you
when finn fell to 35th pick to us it will motivate him became stronger which its a good news to us

Edbleafs is offline   Reply With Quote