HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricane Sandy Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

vCash: 500
I wish I could help all of you and my family up there. Really sad. All my prayers are for you all in the area.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
My entire town in NJ is still without power as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
My friends who live a town over from me still don't have any power.
For all the workers they imported into NJ, it makes me think the electric infrastructure has been completely ****ed with how long it is taking.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:08 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
For all the workers they imported into NJ, it makes me think the electric infrastructure has been completely ****ed with how long it is taking.
word from NJ Natural Gas is that the entire system in seaside is compromised and they will not have a solution for 6-8 months.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Sean Avery went to Staten Island to help those in midland beach and south beach. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:39 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Oh absolutely. I can only really speak to what I've seen and heard but the infrastructure damage even inland (Somerset County) is substantial.

11-04-2012, 10:03 AM
EmpireStateofMind

The NYC Marathon Would-Be Runners are volunteering on Staten Island. Awesome stuff.

EmpireStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:27 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireStateofMind View Post
The NYC Marathon Would-Be Runners are volunteering on Staten Island. Awesome stuff.
which is great. the NYRR association should be ashamed of themselves though.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Classes postponed until Wednesday. 2 more days off.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Just saw a huge outpouring of support and donations from people on the Upper East Side - 85th and 2nd. New Yorkers really are very giving when it counts the most.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:09 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

More Avery.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:17 AM
blue425

With in upwards of 60 schools closed and over 6,000 students displaced I wonder how many new kids were getting Wednesday.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:57 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Working from home today. The lack of gas is really becoming a huge issue. If I were to commute to work via public transportation, it would take 2 - 2 1/2 hours each way...

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
McRanger

Anyone from Breezy Point? The place is a disaster.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:50 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post

More Avery.
I've heard such mixed reviews from people who have met Avery. Some say the dude is as big of an ass as he is on the ice, others say he's completely down to earth and awesome with fans.

He's really been all over Sandy relief and help on Twitter these days. Say what you want about the guys career as a Ranger, but it's clear he's embraced being a New Yorker 100%

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
If (when) we get hit by one of those solar storms again like from 1859 (Carrington Event), we are completely screwed. All the money we wasted in these wars overseas should have been spent reinforcing the electric grid to shield us from solar storm damage.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:03 PM
useref15

Got my power back today....so happy.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
petejudge

i got lucky this time, last year during irene we weren't nearly as lucky. our block was a disaster and nobody near me had power for 10+ days. this time it was only 3 days, with some spurts after that where we'd lose power for a few hours and then it'd come back. we had one last night again so i'm expecting more.

nassau county is still horrible, especially in the less wealthy neighborhoods which LIPA seems to love to go to last. i live in westbury and most of my neighbors are still without power. surrounding areas like mineola, carle place, east meadow, hicksville are pretty much at 100% power. we still don't even have traffic lights here. the obvious exception is garden city, and i feel bad for anyone living there. for a town so far from the shore garden city got destroyed.

we've taken in my two great aunts who live in garden city, their house is fine but with no power or heat two 90 year old women can't survive. my brother's house in long beach is pretty much destroyed, and they haven't marked it with whether or not it's condemned yet, so he's with us for the time being too. my friend christian in far rockaway lost everything he owns including his house and we weren't even sure if he was alive until i finally heard from him earlier today.

the gas lines have been the most shocking part of this. i saw a woman try and run over a cop for telling her not to cut a gas line. it's getting really awful and tempers are flaring. hopefully that gets solved sooner rather than later. thankfully i'm finally back to work and taking my classes at hofstra, so it's only a matter of time before things get back to normal.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Cuomo stated if you cant reach your designated polling place you can vote at any polling place in NY and your votes will count for ballots which are the same in your regular place. For example if you usually vote in Nassau but will vote in Manhattan then your votes for president and senator will count but your local choices wont count because youre not registered in that district.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:46 PM
waldo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
i got lucky this time, last year during irene we weren't nearly as lucky. our block was a disaster and nobody near me had power for 10+ days. this time it was only 3 days, with some spurts after that where we'd lose power for a few hours and then it'd come back. we had one last night again so i'm expecting more.

nassau county is still horrible, especially in the less wealthy neighborhoods which LIPA seems to love to go to last. i live in westbury and most of my neighbors are still without power. surrounding areas like mineola, carle place, east meadow, hicksville are pretty much at 100% power. we still don't even have traffic lights here. the obvious exception is garden city, and i feel bad for anyone living there. for a town so far from the shore garden city got destroyed.

we've taken in my two great aunts who live in garden city, their house is fine but with no power or heat two 90 year old women can't survive. my brother's house in long beach is pretty much destroyed, and they haven't marked it with whether or not it's condemned yet, so he's with us for the time being too. my friend christian in far rockaway lost everything he owns including his house and we weren't even sure if he was alive until i finally heard from him earlier today.

the gas lines have been the most shocking part of this. i saw a woman try and run over a cop for telling her not to cut a gas line. it's getting really awful and tempers are flaring. hopefully that gets solved sooner rather than later. thankfully i'm finally back to work and taking my classes at hofstra, so it's only a matter of time before things get back to normal.
east meadow is no where near one hundred percent power

waldo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Cuomo stated if you cant reach your designated polling place you can vote at any polling place in NY and your votes will count for ballots which are the same in your regular place. For example if you usually vote in Nassau but will vote in Manhattan then your votes for president and senator will count but your local choices wont count because youre not registered in that district.
New Jersey is also allowing voters to go to any polling place in the State to vote.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:26 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Had power in bethpage/levittown/hicksville area for a day and it went out again.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:50 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Had power in bethpage/levittown/hicksville area for a day and it went out again.
they probably had to do work on the lines and cut power intentionally. Should be back up soon.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

everyone stay safe and warm during the nor'easter. if you're asked to evacuate, please do it. towns already ordering mandatory evacs for low-lying areas. if you have a pet, find a shelter you can bring it to! good luck everybody up there.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

LIPA ****ing sucks.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post

More Avery.
This is my neighborhood, the pics & video don't do it justice. The area that the houses got washed away in the cat tails & marsh is called Fox beach. I doubt anyone will ever live down there again.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote