HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Mathletic's 2013 NHL Mock Draft (Q1)

Old
11-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Mathletic's 2013 NHL Mock Draft (Q1)

Now that we're about a quarter of the way into the season I thought I'd do my first mock of

the season.

Not knowing if there's going to be an NHL season this year I went with the draft order

proposed by DropkickQuinn http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ht=draft+order

As always, take this with a grain of salt. All done in good fun.

Round 1

# 1 Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

For me, MacKinnon is the obvious n'1 pick this year. Maybe other people who have Jones at n'1 want to create some intrigue about who will go n'1 but I don't buy into it. MacKinnon is one of the younger players of the draft. He has done close to everything he could up to this point. Not only does he dominate offensively but his defensive game has improved since last year. Halifax has relied on him to kill penalties, which he didn't do last year. He's already a leader on one of the strongest and youngest team in the CHL. Down the road for Colorado he could either play the center or wing position.

# 2 Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

A bit of a surprize pick at this point. Drouin was always seen as one of the really good players coming out of the province of Québec for a few years. He has elevated his game quite a bit this year. Toronto will have to re-sign Kessel, Phaneuf and Lupul shortly. I'm guessing they'll re-sign Kessel and Phaneuf for sure. Drouin gives them some leverage in case Lupul asks for too much money. Drouin can play either the wing or center position. So, depending on what happens with Kadri, Colborne and so on, Drouin gives them a lot of possibilities to maneuver on offense. Jones would be an interesting option but taking for granted Phaneuf will comeback. With players like Rielly, Gardiner and Percy, I think Toronto is pretty much set on D.

# 3 Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara, SM-Liiga

With Getzlaf's, Perry's and Ryan's contracts to negotiate shortly, Anaheim will want to give themselves some leverage on offence. With Lindholm and Vatanen doing so well in the AHL. Add them to Fowler and Sbisa already doing well in the NHL, I think they can afford to pass on Jones at this point. With players like Etem and Palmieri coming up, Barkov could make a deadly 2nd line center.

# 4 Seth Jones, D, Portland Winerhawks, WHL

Alhtough Calgary might want to add some more offensive punch, Jones fits nicely in the Flames' depth chart. Being NHL-ready he could step in and complement Bouwmeester and Giordano quite nicely. Monahan would be my second option here but with Horak doing so well in the AHL. Jankowski doing not so badly in the NCAA, although he's still a few years away. Added to Bärtschi and Gaudreau, I think Calgary is fine on offense and goes for Jones who slips a few spots like Larsson did a couple years ago.

# 5 Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa 67's OHL

I thought about going with Pulock for Philadelphia but I'm not sure how much he fits in Philly. His lack of physical play may make some teams think twice before picking him early. Kind of the same that happened with Fowler. Monahan is a solid 2-way player who can play either the center or wing posiiton. I think he has as much potential as Pulock while being more likely to succeed.

# 6 Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL

I'm not sure what Columbus intends to do with Anisimov. At this point I see him play center behind Johansen. So, I chose to pass on Lindholm, who I see more as a playmaker, 2-way kind of guy. Columbus has done a good job adding 2-way players like Jenner and Atkinson through the draft but they desperately goal-scorers. Shinkraruk will do just that for them.

# 7 Elias Lindholm, C, Brynäs IF, Elitserien, Sweden

I thought about going with Nurse at this point but Lindohlm has too much value to pass on at this point. With Spezza still without a long-term contract Lindholm could provide a solution in case Jason goes to another team. Lindohlm can play both the center or wing position. He would also fit nicely with the group of Swedes in Ottawa.

# 8 Curtis Lazar, C, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL

Having scouted Reinhart for a couple of years, I'm sure the Islanders know everything about Lazar. Everyone who follows the Oil Kings seems to have fallen in love with this kid and his non-stop motor. Strome could move to the wing and leave the 2nd line center position for Lazar who would take one the more defensive role on the team. He could make a fantastic defensice duo with Cizikas in a few years.

# 9 Ryan Pulock, D, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL

At this point, it's all about value for the Canucks who haven't drafted this high in a few years. Only knock on Pulock would be his physical play, or lack thereof. Although Garrison was signed to a long-term contract and with Connauton still in the organization, Pulock is the BPA at this spot.

# 10 Adam Erne, RW, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ

I guess Pittsburgh is set on D. Best forward available at this point IMO is Adam Erne. Kid has been fantastic for the Remparts the last couple of years playing on a 2nd line. With Duclair's injury, Erne is getting more quality minutes and he's making the best of it. Although Bennett may play a similar role down the road for Pittsburgh, I still like Erne at this spot.

# 11 Jason Dickinson, LW, Guelph Storm, OHL

Up to a terrific start with Guelph. Dickinson has been one of the most improved players f this year's draft. His defensive game has picked up as well. He could play a role on Washington's 2nd line with Forsberg and Johansson in a few years.

# 12 Anthony Mantha, RW, Val d'Or Foreurs, LHJMQ

Obvious comparison for Mathan at this point would be James Neal. Kid has all the tools to make it to the next level. With Kosmachuk doing well this year, Jets keep on adding offence. Outside of Kane there's lack of offensive players for Winnipeg. Mantha will add to the mix with Scheifele.

# 13 (from New York Rangers) Hudson Fasching, RW, USA NTDP

Columbus has done a good job adding 2-way forwards in recent years. Although they may want to add a more offensive player, Fasching will play a solid, physical, 2-way game for them on the right side.

# 14 Ian McCoshen, D, Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL

Off to a terrific start in the USHL. McCoshen is already blessed with great size despite being one of the younger players of the draft. With Faul and Murphy more inclined to the offensive side of the game, McCoshen could take over for Gleason and be a defensive force for Carolina in a few years.

# 15 Max Domi, C, London Knights, OHL

I wouldn't be surprised to see Domi go much earlier in the draft, that said, if still available at this spot, he'd have terrific value. Although Florida has nice depth at the center position, Domi would be the most talented of the bunch. He may not be the most complete player but still a great scorer. He could make a great duo with Huberdeau.

Last edited by Mathletic: 11-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Mathletic

# 16 Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS, SM-Liiga, Finland

I'm not as high as most on Ristolainen, that said, he'd in the right place behind a player like Hamilton for Boston.

# 17 Josh Morrissey, D, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL

Again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Morrissey go much higher in the draft but there's so much talent this year that some players will "fall" a bit. Blues have a nice group of forwards but could use some help on the left side of their defence.

# 18 Anthony Duclair, LW, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ

I liked Duclair as much if not more than Drouin coming out of Midget AAA. He has done very well for himself up to his injury this year. Complete forward who has added quite a few pounds since joining the Remparts. One of my favorites of the draft.

# 19 Kerby Rychel, LW, Windsor Spitfires, OHL

Every year I'm thinking the Coyotes will want to add offence, but they rarely do so. I still think Rychel would be a good fit for them on the left side.

# 20 Jordan Subban, D, Belleville Bulls, OHL

The Sharks have very few if any offensive players from the backend. Subban could takeover for Boyle in a few years.

# 21 Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL

Although the Devils may want to add forwards, I think Nurse is good value at this point. Terrific athlete and still tons of room to develop as a hockey player.

# 22 Artturi Lehkonen, RW, KalPa, SM-Liiga, Finland

No glaring holes in the Wild depth chart. Lehkonen is having himself a solid year in Finland.

# 23 Bo Horvat, LW, London Knights, OHL

Sounds like your typical Wings player. Solid 2-way game, leaderhip qualities and everything.

# 24 Gustav Possler, RW, MODO Hockey, SuperElit, Sweden

I thought Possler would have had the chance to play in the Elitserien this year given his late-season success last year (1G in 2GP but still). Not sure what the plan is with Glennie but Dallas could use some talent on the right side.

# 25 Robert Hägg, D, MODO Hockey, SuperElit, Sweden

Nashville has done a good job building depth at all positions, that said, they could still use some help on the left side of their defense with a big d-man.

# 26 Marc-Olivier Roy, RW, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, LHJMQ

Big fan of Marc-Olivier Roy. Should at least become a good 2-way forward in the NHL. May be more of a system guy though. Sabres don't really have depth on the right side.

# 27 Frédérik Gauthier, C, Rimouski Océanic, LHJMQ

Kid is having a great start this year with Rimouski. Big guy with good skating abilities.

Probably fits more in a defensive role. Not sure what the plan is with Pitlick, as he doesn't seem to progress much.

# 28 Zachary Fucale, G, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

A bit of a down year for Fucale so far but potential is there. Hawks don't have much down the pipe in net.

# 29 (from Los Angeles) Ryan Hartman, F, Plymouth Whalers, OHL

People are down on Hartman but I think he's having a fine year nonetheless. Another good 2-way forward for Columbus.

# 30 Spencer Martin, G, Mississauga Steelheads, OHL

Depite Carey Price's long-term contract, Habs don't have much goaltending depth. Timmins has liked tall goalies, Martin will fit the mold. Martin has been probably the top goalie so far in the CHL with John Gibson.

Last edited by Mathletic: 11-05-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Mathletic

Round 2

# 31 Montréal: J.T. Compher, F, USA NTDP
# 32 Los Angeles: Nikita Zadorov, D, London Knights, OHL
# 33 Winnipeg (from Chicago): Chris Bigras, D, Owen Sound Attack, OHL
# 34 Edmonton: Jackson Houck, RW, Vancouver Giants, WHL
# 35 Buffalo: Eric Comrie, G, Tri-City Americans, WHL
# 36 Montréal (from Nashville): William Carrier, LW, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, LHJMQ
# 37 Dallas: Nick Sørensen, RW, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ
# 38 Detroit: Marko Dano, C, HC Slovan Bratislava, KHL, Russia
# 39 Minnesota: Shea Theodore, D, Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL
# 40 New Jersey: Taylor Cammarata, F, Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL
# 41 San Jose: Marcus Högberg, G, Linköpings HC, SuperElit
# 42 Phoenix: André Burakovsky, C, IF Malmö Redhawks, SuperElit, Sweden
# 43 Tampa Bay: Ryan Kujawinski, C, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL
# 44 St. Louis: Pavel Buchnevich, C/W, Almaz Cherepovets, MHL, Russia
# 45 Boston: Michael Downing, D, Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL
# 46 Florida: Tyler Motte, F, USA NTDP
# 47 Carolina: Juuso Ikonen, C, Espoo Blues, SM-liiga, Finland
# 48 New York Rangers: Janne Juvonen, G, Pelicans, SM-Liiga, Finland
# 49 Winnipeg: Dillon Heatherington, D, Swift Current Broncos, WHL
# 50 Washington: Madison Bowey, D, Kelowna Rockets, WHL
# 51 Pittsburgh: Morgan Klimchuk, C, Regina Pats, WHL
# 52 Vancouver: Valentin Zykov, RW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar, LHJMQ
# 53 Anaheim (from New York Islanders): Jan Kostalek, D , Rimouski Océanic, LHJMQ
# 54 St. Louis (from Ottawa): Gabe Guertler, F, Fargo Force, USHL
# 55 Columbus: Nicolas Petan, C, Portland Winterhawks, WHL
# 56 Philadelphia: Eric Roy, D, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL
# 57 Montréal (from Calgary): Matt Murphy, D, Val-d'Or Foreurs, LHJMQ
# 58 Edmonton (from Anaheim): Dominik Kahun, LW, Sudbury Wolves, OHL
# 59 Toronto: Greg Chase, C, Calgary Hitmen, WHL
# 60 Colorado: Samuel Morin, D, Rimouski Océaniques, LHJMQ

Old
11-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Toronto will gladly select Seth Jones with the 2nd pick.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
I'd cry if I was a BJ fan and they took fasching. Oh and don't the leafs need a center? ^ there isn't a better year to look for one.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Ashasx

I don't think Toronto would pass on Barkov or Jones, but still a fine list.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'd cry if I was a BJ fan and they took fasching. Oh and don't the leafs need a center? ^ there isn't a better year to look for one.
Jones is the 2nd best prospect. No reason to draft by need.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Drouin played center up until this year basically so he could play on a line with MacKinnon

Old
11-05-2012, 07:28 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Jones is the 2nd best prospect. No reason to draft by need.
It's not clear that he is actually. Drouin has been making an excellent case. As has Lindholm and Barkov. Meanwhile Jones has been less than spectacular.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
It's not clear that he is actually. Drouin has been making an excellent case. As has Lindholm and Barkov. Meanwhile Jones has been less than spectacular.
Because he isn't putting up a point/game?

Jones is the best player on a team that includes Rattie, Pouliot, etc. Anyone who has watched him knows he's a presence besides just putting up points.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Because he isn't putting up a point/game?

Jones is the best player on a team that includes Rattie, Pouliot, etc. Anyone who has watched him knows he's a presence besides just putting up points.
The way I understand the game is that good forwards have a greater impact on the game than good d-men. In a sense yes it comes down a bit to points. Although the defensive part of the game is huge. In fact, I do think d-men in general play a greater role in the game. I just don't think there's that big of a gap between great, good and average d-men that there is for forwards. The very good forwards are more valuable than the very good d-men roughly speaking.

Top forwards in general are very high picks when there's a lot of solid d-men who can be had for a lot less. For example, among this group of leading forwards in the NHL

Malkin, Stamkos, Neal, Giroux, Spezza, Kessel, Crosby, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Eberle, Hossa

most were very high picks, whereas

Hamhuis, McDonagh, Mitchell, Pietrangelo, Weber, Girardi, Chara, Suter, Gorges, Boyle, Shattenkirk, White, Vlasic, Garrison

were affordable at one point in their career.

Also, the difference between the top forward and the 30th forward in the league is much greater than it is between the top and 30th d-man IMO.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't draft d-men and whatnot. It's just that, in Toronto's case for example, they already have some solid d-men coming up. Whereas their group of forward is suspect. I think they'd be better off swinging for a homerun with a kid like Barkov, Drouin or Monahan than a safe pick like Jones.

Last edited by Mathletic: 11-05-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
The way I understand the game is that good forwards have a greater impact on the game than good d-men. In a sense yes it comes down a bit to points. Although the defensive part of the game is huge. In fact, I do think d-men in general play a greater role in the game. I just don't think there's that big of a gap between great, good and average d-men that there is for forwards. The very good forwards are more valuable than the very good d-men roughly speaking.

Top forwards in general are very high picks when there's a lot of solid d-men who can be had for a lot less. For example, among this group of leading forwards in the NHL

Malkin, Stamkos, Neal, Giroux, Spezza, Kessel, Crosby, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Eberle, Hossa

most were very high picks, whereas

Hamhuis, McDonagh, Mitchell, Pietrangelo, Weber, Girardi, Chara, Suter, Gorges, Boyle, Shattenkirk, White, Vlasic, Garrison

were affordable at one point in their career.

Also, the difference between the top forward and the 30th forward in the league is much greater than it is between the top and 30th d-man IMO.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't draft d-men and whatnot. It's just that, in Toronto's case for example, they already have some solid d-men coming up. Whereas their group of forward is suspect. I think they'd be better off swinging for a homerun with a kid like Barkov, Drouin or Monahan than a safe pick like Jones.
I understand your logic, and it's perfectly fine with me, but I was just responding to the previous poster. I think Jones has been very good so far, and will only get better as the season progresses.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I understand your logic, and it's perfectly fine with me, but I was just responding to the previous poster. I think Jones has been very good so far, and will only get better as the season progresses.
sure, I used your post to express myself on Seth Jones. Btw, this year is very solid, so it really isn't against anyone being ranked 4th or 5th. On some years Sean Monahan would be a legit n'1 pick.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:11 PM
PriceIsGod
#TokarskiTime

i like it besides jones falling to 4th he MIGHT go 4th MIGHT VERY SMALL CHANCE but no way he goes to 4th i say he goes 2nd and a 0.000001 % chance 3rd.

PriceIsGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I would be ecstatic if we got either Pulock or Ristolainen. A potential stud defenseman is exactly what our system needs. I'd probably prefer Ristolainen, but again, won't complain.

I will say though that I can't even remember the last time Gillis drafted a Russian player. While Zykov looks very solid, I don't see him being drafted by the Canucks, rightly or wrongly.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:07 PM
ALI

vCash: 50
Guys

Jones Rielly
Phaneuf Gardiner

DAYUM

or

Kessel - Drouin/Barkov/Monahan - Lupul

not bad but that D.......

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Punkeater

I did the first 30 picks based on what I think the draft order will be if there's a season. What do you think?

1- Columbus - Nathan McKinnon
2- Ny Islanders - Seth Jones
3- Winnipeg - Aleksander Barkov
4- Toronto - Sean Monahan
5- Anaheim - Elias Lindholm
6- Floride - Rasmus Ristolainen
7- Ottawa - Hunter Shinkaruk
8- Dallas - Ryan Pulock
9- Colorado - Valery Nichushkin
10- Montreal - Jonathan Drouin
11- Calgary - Curtis Lazar
12- Nashville - Andre Burakowski
13- Phoenix - Max Domi
14- Tampa Bay - Josh Morrissey
15- Buffalo - Adam Erne
16- Edmonton - Zachary Fucale
17- Carolina - Kerby Rychel
18- San Jose - JT Compher
19- Philadelphia - Nikita Zadorov
20- Detroit - Robert Hagg
21- Washington - Darnell Nurse
22- New Jersey - Frederik Gauthier
23- Minnesota - Artturi Lehkonen
24- Chicago - Anthony Mantha
25- Pittsburgh - Ryan Kujawinski
26- Boston - Madison Bowey
27- Los Angeles (Columbus) - Jacob De La Rose
28- Vancouver - Bo Horvat
29- St-Louis - Steve Santini
30- Ny Rangers (Columbus) - Hudson Fasching

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:08 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

^ Dude...Drouin is WAY too low.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:16 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
I did the first 30 picks based on what I think the draft order will be if there's a season. What do you think?

1- Columbus - Nathan McKinnon
2- Ny Islanders - Seth Jones
3- Winnipeg - Aleksander Barkov
4- Toronto - Sean Monahan
5- Anaheim - Elias Lindholm
6- Floride - Rasmus Ristolainen
7- Ottawa - Hunter Shinkaruk
8- Dallas - Ryan Pulock
9- Colorado - Valery Nichushkin
10- Montreal - Jonathan Drouin
11- Calgary - Curtis Lazar
12- Nashville - Andre Burakowski
13- Phoenix - Max Domi
14- Tampa Bay - Josh Morrissey
15- Buffalo - Adam Erne
16- Edmonton - Zachary Fucale
17- Carolina - Kerby Rychel
18- San Jose - JT Compher
19- Philadelphia - Nikita Zadorov
20- Detroit - Robert Hagg
21- Washington - Darnell Nurse
22- New Jersey - Frederik Gauthier
23- Minnesota - Artturi Lehkonen
24- Chicago - Anthony Mantha
25- Pittsburgh - Ryan Kujawinski
26- Boston - Madison Bowey
27- Los Angeles (Columbus) - Jacob De La Rose
28- Vancouver - Bo Horvat
29- St-Louis - Steve Santini
30- Ny Rangers (Columbus) - Hudson Fasching
^i think this is exactly what Columbus should do this year....they have a good defence now with the addition of Murray and with losing Nash, they should take 3 forwards. my 2 cents.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:17 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Drouin would probably go 6th or 7th as things stand now.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
In regards to New Jersey‘s pick @ 21... wouldn‘t it make more sense for them to take Fucale? Brodeur has at most 2 more seasons in him. They have to forfeit either their 1st this year or next, and with a goalie like Fucale I just don‘t see how they could pass over him. It‘s not like it‘s such a big risk, you have him listed only 7 spots away @ 28.

I may be wrong.. but to me, it just makes more sense for them to pick according to need instead of adding another defender.

Overall, I really like the list. I agree with your view on forwards vs defenders, and their impact. Jones @ 4 works for me, I could even see him fall from top 5. Sure he‘s good, but there are just so many legit top 5 players this year that the expendable one to me would be the defender.

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:51 AM
CC321

I don't see Tampa taking Duclair at #18. True, Tampa has a lot of small fast prospects, but they seem to be aware they have too many of that type. I'd bet whoever they take will be at least 6'1" and have some physicality to their game. Darnell Nurse or Kerby Rychel would be a better fit I think.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
^i think this is exactly what Columbus should do this year....they have a good defence now with the addition of Murray and with losing Nash, they should take 3 forwards. my 2 cents.
That's what I'm thinking too. Anyway I've placed them first so Mckinnon probably is a 90% future no.1 overall pick and with their two others picks in the first round. If last year was a defense draft, this year is very different. I think they'll go all in on forwards too

Old
11-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Mystifo
Malkin To Kulemin.

Jones or Barkov with Monahaan being a darkhorse for Toronto. This is our year to get a #1C or at the very least add to our D with Jones as he is BPA.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Punkeater

Quote:
It will all depends on the season he'll have. He's an amazing player but if you look at my top 6. I don't think there will be a lot of change in the top 6 since all of these players are above the others in my opinion. Of course it can change over the year too but the actual top 6 is very dominant. I could see Drouin go anywhere from 7th to 15th approx. Right now he's closer to the 7th seed than the 15th in my opinion. Anyway that is my mock draft. Take it with a grain of salt too