HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part IX

Old
10-22-2012, 05:31 PM
WTFetus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Sheppard and Petrecki are longshots, not likely to have significant effect.
I wouldn't group Sheppard in the same category as Petrecki. Sheppard is doing great in the AHL this season while Petrecki has looked awful. If he works on his stamina some more, I could see him and maybe Oleksuk or Stalberg making the roster out of training camp. Petrecki has no chance (especially considering not only do the Sharks already have 7 d-men currently, but Pelech, Irwin, Acolatse, and Doherty have all looked better than him).

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Kitten Mittons

One of Sheppard, Oleksuk, or Stalberg will definitely see some NHL time this season. I hope it'll be Stalberg.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:54 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
One of Sheppard, Oleksuk, or Stalberg will definitely see some NHL time this season. I hope it'll be Stalberg.
You're assuming Joe Thornton sees NHL time this season...

hateseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:15 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Need more advice!

I see Petrecki and Sheppard are still RFAs. What do you think their deals should look like and where would you feel comfortable with them playing in your line-up next year?

A few deals to get an opinion on:

Clowe for Lu, then Niemi for Kulemin/Macarthur. So basically Clowe+Niemi for Lu+Kule/Mac

Demers/Braun for either Korpi or Clutterbuck

This one I think is bad, but just confirming that it is bad: Marleau+Braun for Krejci+Thomas

Thanks for the help
One thing to remember about GM Games, its the players rep, not their actual ability that helps you win.

Considering this is a 1 year GM game i presume, Clowe for Lu is a huge steal. Niemi for Kulemin is also a great deal. People regard Kulemin as the 20 goal scorer he was, and everybody assumes Niemi sucks.

I would definately trade either two of the young dmen for Clutterbuck. hes got a good rep and it helps in voting.

Yes the Marleau deal is bad. I wouldnt accept it.

Dont even bother resigning Sheppard or petrecki, they wont make the roster.

One thing i would do, go after a current #2 center, and put them on 3rd line. People love center depth more then anything in GM Games.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:29 PM
freddypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't like Lu as an option. Done like dinner. Too much like Nemo in his deficits as a goalie although he is a better goalie than Nemo. And Lu is far too expensive capwise. Let another team buy the headache.

I like Korpikoski. You can trade Braun or Demers but not both. The Sharks AHL depth on d is pathetic.
i agree with you on D depth in Worcester its pathetic, we really have nobody in Worcester thats worth anything.......

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:21 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hey fellas, just wanted to test the waters on a pretty outlandish hypothetical trade proposal.

NHL lock out ends, and the season opens with the Winter Classic. The NHL announces the Coyotes are being relocated to Quebec City, and Shane Doan demands a trade, while providing a short list of teams (Dallas, Los Angeles, San Jose, and Vancouver). Would Sharks fans have any interest, at all, in Clowe for Doan, straight across? I only ask because I've seen Clowe take a lot of heat from Sharks fans, and Doan brings a similar game, so would probably be a good fit. Clowe played in the QMJHL and probably wouldn't be quite as violently opposed to playing in QC as Doan would be. Also, brings a similar game. My only hang up is that Doan is older, and his contract might be a little rich for the Sharks. What do you guys think?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Doan's contract is just stupid ... so no

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Hey fellas, just wanted to test the waters on a pretty outlandish hypothetical trade proposal.

NHL lock out ends, and the season opens with the Winter Classic. The NHL announces the Coyotes are being relocated to Quebec City, and Shane Doan demands a trade, while providing a short list of teams (Dallas, Los Angeles, San Jose, and Vancouver). Would Sharks fans have any interest, at all, in Clowe for Doan, straight across? I only ask because I've seen Clowe take a lot of heat from Sharks fans, and Doan brings a similar game, so would probably be a good fit. Clowe played in the QMJHL and probably wouldn't be quite as violently opposed to playing in QC as Doan would be. Also, brings a similar game. My only hang up is that Doan is older, and his contract might be a little rich for the Sharks. What do you guys think?
sure if pheonix/quebec was willing to pay 5.3 million of doans contract each and every year.

his contract is even worse then prongers contract, atleast the flyers thought when they signed him it wasn't going to be a 35+ contract. there was no reason to sign doan at 35 years old to a 4 year contract.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:49 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Doan's contract is just stupid ... so no
My feelings precisely.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:43 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Nope, not at all. Doan has much, much, more value to Phoenix than any other team. He's your captain, the Coyotes respect him, but taking on his contract and losing Clowe is not worth what he would bring to the Sharks.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:07 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

I'm bored, let's do a hypothetical!

It's March 2014. The Sharks are in that annoying 8-10th spot in the West.

Do we trade away everyone as rentals? Thornton, Marleau, Boyle?

On one hand, we could get a ton of futures, free up a ton of cap space, and settle in for a tank in 2015 for a really special kid in Connor McDavid, while being close to the cap floor. It'd be a quick one and done. After 2014-2015, kids like Hertl, Nieto, Hamilton, etc. should be establishing themselves in the NHL, and with a true franchise talent and a good supporting cast (Couture, Burns, Vlasic, Demers), go back at it in a year or two.

On the other hand, you run a really high risk of Pavelski leaving in UFA because he can see the tank coming. Do you also trade Pavelski at the deadline for an absolute goldmine of futures?

Basically, the more this lockout drags on, the less and less excited I am for the Sharks. We have less than two seasons to do something, and frankly, Boyle could be done really soon. I'd rather a preemptive strike.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
For the betterment of the team, you trade the guys that you have the ability to trade without their permission if you're in that spot. So Pavelski and Boyle are definitely guys you want to deal to the highest bidder. Thornton and Marleau only go if they request it. The problem with the tank idea is that it is likely that the latter two stay even with a sinking ship and that with them on the team, they will never be bad enough to tank for a generational talent or even another Marleau-like player that's a damn good complimentary piece but not your guy you build around.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
For the betterment of the team, you trade the guys that you have the ability to trade without their permission if you're in that spot. So Pavelski and Boyle are definitely guys you want to deal to the highest bidder. Thornton and Marleau only go if they request it. The problem with the tank idea is that it is likely that the latter two stay even with a sinking ship and that with them on the team, they will never be bad enough to tank for a generational talent or even another Marleau-like player that's a damn good complimentary piece but not your guy you build around.
The only hope would be when you trade a guy like Pavelski or Boyle, you send them to a bottom-tiered team and get a first rounder coming back. If you gather several first rounders in the same draft, you combine them and move up to grab the generational guy. Still a fat chance of grabbing the #1 though.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Ched Brosky

Canuck fan coming in peace. I know u guys are fine with Niemi so usually I dont consider SJ an option for Lou but would something like this work?

To SJ:
Roberto Luongo
Clarke MacArthur

To TOR:
Antti Niemi
Mason Raymond

To VAN:
Ryan Clowe or Joe Pavelski (whichever is deemed more expendable)
Leafs 2nd round pick

You guys have 4 centers who all could be top 2Cs (however I know Marleau has shifted to the wing), After that u guys have Handzus/Wingels/Sheppard for the 4C spot, so i'm guessing your 3C (Pavelski) is more expendable than Clowe since I'm pretty sure the Sharks lack winger depth.

But ya Sharks upgrade in net while get a 2nd/3rd line winger who is a gritty scoring tweener (lesser version of Clowe)

Toronto gets their goalie and a lesser version of the winger they gave up

Nucks get their pwf winger or 3C who can play 2C while Kes is out and a pick

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:20 PM
WTFetus

Pavelski is either our #2C or our #1RW, so any trade involving him is off the table. Clowe is easily the Sharks most expendable Top-6 forward, and the weakest link in the Top-6.
Pure value-wise (at least for the Sharks), Clowe, Niemi, and a 2nd for Luongo and MacArthur actually doesn't look too bad. Taking salaries into consideration, I have to say no though. I'd rather have an average Niemi for another 3 years than a better Luongo signed for eternity.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Pavelski is either our #2C or our #1RW, so any trade involving him is off the table. Clowe is easily the Sharks most expendable Top-6 forward, and the weakest link in the Top-6.
Pure value-wise (at least for the Sharks), Clowe, Niemi, and a 2nd for Luongo and MacArthur actually doesn't look too bad. Taking salaries into consideration, I have to say no though. I'd rather have an average Niemi for another 3 years than a better Luongo signed for eternity.
oh okay didn't know Pavelski also played wing. I thought Couture took the 2C job from him bumping him down to 3C.

So value wise its good with Clowe, its just Lou's contract?

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:38 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
So value wise its good with Clowe, its just Lou's contract?
For the Sharks, I'd say so. Clowe is better than MacArthur, but Luongo is a lot better than Niemi. It's really just his forever-contract that makes it a no.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:47 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/12/12...a-lockout-2012

Possible impacts should Sharks be facing $60m cap in 13-14.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
thrillermiller89

I was really bored and decided to create a roster based on a cap around ~60m since there are rumors swirling about such a scenario.

Moves

-If the new CBA allows an Amnesty Clause, then we use it on Handzus
-Trade Boyle to NYI for Grabner
-Trade Clowe to WAS for Brouwer

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Michael Grabner ($3.000m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Troy Brouwer ($2.350m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.640m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.950m) / James Sheppard ($0.761m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.775m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.633m) / John McCarthy ($0.613m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Matt Pelech ($0.578m) /

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: $60,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,771,250; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $428,750

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 02:16 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm bored, let's do a hypothetical!

It's March 2014. The Sharks are in that annoying 8-10th spot in the West.

Do we trade away everyone as rentals? Thornton, Marleau, Boyle?

On one hand, we could get a ton of futures, free up a ton of cap space, and settle in for a tank in 2015 for a really special kid in Connor McDavid, while being close to the cap floor. It'd be a quick one and done. After 2014-2015, kids like Hertl, Nieto, Hamilton, etc. should be establishing themselves in the NHL, and with a true franchise talent and a good supporting cast (Couture, Burns, Vlasic, Demers), go back at it in a year or two.

On the other hand, you run a really high risk of Pavelski leaving in UFA because he can see the tank coming. Do you also trade Pavelski at the deadline for an absolute goldmine of futures?

Basically, the more this lockout drags on, the less and less excited I am for the Sharks. We have less than two seasons to do something, and frankly, Boyle could be done really soon. I'd rather a preemptive strike.
You don't have to do a hypothetical. I'm pretty open to trading Boyle now.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:35 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
Moves

-If the new CBA allows an Amnesty Clause, then we use it on Handzus
-Trade Boyle to NYI for Grabner
-Trade Clowe to WAS for Brouwer
I don't see why NYI's would trade Grabner for Boyle. They aren't competing for the Cup yet so there's no point in sacrificing youth for an aging defenseman. It's like the Voracek for Boyle debacle, but worse.

I'm not sure how I feel about Clowe for Brouwer.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

NYI wouldn't trade Grabner for Boyle, and Boyle wouldn't waive for the Island.
Clowe>>Brouwer. And I'm not a fan of Clowe.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:09 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
NYI wouldn't trade Grabner for Boyle, and Boyle wouldn't waive for the Island.
Clowe>>Brouwer. And I'm not a fan of Clowe.
These deals are "rough sketches" of what a possible deal would look like. Picks and prospects would likely be added in both trade ideas to balance it out.

Furthermore, Boyle wouldn't need to waive to go to NYI if it's not on his list of 8 teams he wouldn't accept a trade to.

Old
12-13-2012, 09:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
These deals are "rough sketches" of what a possible deal would look like. Picks and prospects would likely be added in both trade ideas to balance it out.

Furthermore, Boyle wouldn't need to waive to go to NYI if it's not on his list of 8 teams he wouldn't accept a trade to.
NYI would probably the first team on his list of 8 teams.

And unless we get Filip Forsberg thrown in, it's a no go.

Old
12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
NYI would probably the first team on his list of 8 teams.

And unless we get Filip Forsberg thrown in, it's a no go.
Why should the Islanders be on his list? He has a cup, a lucrative contract, and the Isles are an up-and-coming team with a very underrated generational talent (Tavares). Plus they'll be moving to the new Brooklyn arena in a couple years. Is it not possible he might want to re-sign with the Isles?

You make it sound like it's so far-fetched, but it's really not out of the realm of possibility. Is it likely? Maybe not. But certainly more likely than you're suggesting.