HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buy Or Sell: Hope for a shortened season, at least... Edition

Old
11-06-2012, 08:34 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

vCash: 500
Buy Or Sell: Hope for a shortened season, at least... Edition

Buy or Sell: with the problems of Strait and Bortz having to clear waivers and someone almost certainly willing to grab them off the wire. And the massive defensive depth we have in the organization...

Does Shero make a trade from our D for a forward, whether it be a vet, one of Strait or Bortz, or a prospect?

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Buy, albeit I'm not sure it will be right away, or how a trade deadline would work in a shortened season. I could see two of Strait, Lovejoy, prospect being moved for a solid scoring F. Someone on the level of a Kunitz skill-wise. Sounds like Bortuzzo is impressing and playing a very physical game, which would set him apart from many of our other D who are bottom pairing or offensive types. He'd be (and maybe Dumoulin would be) the more valued commodity in that case. I think Morrow is untouchable because even if he's not ready, his PP pedigree is something we lack depth for.

Buy or Sell: Sid or Geno manages 100 pt season with 60 games played.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:56 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Buy, assuming there is a season. I could completely see Sid coming out swinging, showing the world that he is still the best. People will continue to talk about how it was a shortened season and he could never do it for a full season

Buy or Sell: Vokun ends up with more starts this year than MAF

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:58 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Buy, albeit I'm not sure it will be right away, or how a trade deadline would work in a shortened season. I could see two of Strait, Lovejoy, prospect being moved for a solid scoring F. Someone on the level of a Kunitz skill-wise. Sounds like Bortuzzo is impressing and playing a very physical game, which would set him apart from many of our other D who are bottom pairing or offensive types. He'd be (and maybe Dumoulin would be) the more valued commodity in that case. I think Morrow is untouchable because even if he's not ready, his PP pedigree is something we lack depth for.

That will be a hard mark for ether to hit. I think slightly harder for Sid, simply due to how little hockey he has played the past few years. If ether could do it, I think it would be Malkin coming off of a MVP year and playing in his home city as a hero, his confidence has to be exploding right now. But he'd have to adjust back to NA play/ice size.

I don't think ether could do it in 60 though with this particular come around. So sell, but I hope one does.

Buy or Sell: Sutter gets tried on wing for at least a stint during the regular season?

Old
11-06-2012, 09:15 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
Buy, assuming there is a season. I could completely see Sid coming out swinging, showing the world that he is still the best. People will continue to talk about how it was a shortened season and he could never do it for a full season

Sell. If it were a full 82 game season I don't see this happening. In a shortened season... Say 60 games. Best he gets over Flower in a shortened season would be around a 50/50 split some where in the 25-30 games.

Buy or Sell: Cooke gets a bit of his edge back?

Old
11-06-2012, 09:18 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Buy or Sell: Sutter gets tried on wing for at least a stint during the regular season?
Buy. I think the coaching staff will give him some looks with Sid. Kid's got wheels.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:20 AM
JTG

Quote:
Sell. If it were a full 82 game season I don't see this happening. In a shortened season... Say 60 games. Best he gets over Flower in a shortened season would be around a 50/50 split some where in the 25-30 games.

Buy or Sell: Cooke gets a bit of his edge back?
I want to buy this.

Buy/Sell: 4 defensive prospects are on the roster when the season is over.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:28 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I want to buy this.

Buy/Sell: 4 defensive prospects are on the roster when the season is over.
Sell: that's a HUGE number and Bylsma just isn't that type of coach to let the reigns go to a kid. I think 2, possibly 3 at max.

Buy/Sell: Tyler Kennedy scores 20+ goals. (or the same % if shortened season)

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:38 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Sell: that's a HUGE number and Bylsma just isn't that type of coach to let the reigns go to a kid. I think 2, possibly 3 at max.

Buy/Sell: Tyler Kennedy scores 20+ goals. (or the same % if shortened season)
Sell: I like TK (whom doesn't to at least some extent) but I believe that 20 goal season was done out of strife and drive with the situation of the team that season. We were barely icing a forward group at the time and the puck had to land on someone's stick. Not saying he can't... Just I don't see it.

Buy or Sell: Adams gets regulated to 13th forward or waived?

Old
11-06-2012, 09:55 AM
JTG

Quote:
Sell: I like TK (whom doesn't to at least some extent) but I believe that 20 goal season was done out of strife and drive with the situation of the team that season. We were barely icing a forward group at the time and the puck had to land on someone's stick. Not saying he can't... Just I don't see it.

Buy or Sell: Adams gets regulated to 13th forward or waived?
Sell. For much of the same reason Cole sold my buy or sell.

Buy/Sell: Both Sid and Geno put up 1.2-1.3 points per game if/when the season returns.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:21 AM
boileroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Buy/Sell: Both Sid and Geno put up 1.2-1.3 points per game if/when the season returns.
buy, with Sid i think he's going to be in the best shape he's been in for probably a couple of years having had a full (and extended!) summer injury free. And Geno is going to be going into the season injury free having had potentially a 2 month warm up over in Russia. I hope they're both determined to prove they are the best, and that Sid's half amazing half season of 2 years ago and geno's hart season weren't flukes.

buy/sell: pascal dupuis will repeat his heroics of last year, assuming he has the same (or equivalent) role?

boileroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Sell, but I won't be surprised if the numbers are close (within 5-7 games of one another). We could easily end up with a STL style platoon like they had last year IMO.

Quote:

Sell. We have no one else who can fill the "big defensive C" role and it's part of what defines this team. I mean he might occasionally switch over for a shift or two if Disco is dealing with an injury situation or something but 95% of the time he's going to line up as 3C. Otherwise we didn't replace Jordan Staal this summer.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:42 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boileroo View Post
buy, with Sid i think he's going to be in the best shape he's been in for probably a couple of years having had a full (and extended!) summer injury free. And Geno is going to be going into the season injury free having had potentially a 2 month warm up over in Russia. I hope they're both determined to prove they are the best, and that Sid's half amazing half season of 2 years ago and geno's hart season weren't flukes.

buy/sell: pascal dupuis will repeat his heroics of last year, assuming he has the same (or equivalent) role?
Very good question.. I think he can as he seems to be clutch at the right times. What a steal this guy was in the Hossa deal? I'm buying.

Buy/Sell - Geno gets re-signed for 9m or less at the end of the season?

Old
11-06-2012, 03:38 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Very good question.. I think he can as he seems to be clutch at the right times. What a steal this guy was in the Hossa deal? I'm buying.

Buy/Sell - Geno gets re-signed for 9m or less at the end of the season?
Buy. If the NHL gets their contract limitations in place then so be it, it just means Malkin will be signing a shorter term. I'd say lateral pay, same as side. Contract signed to the max years allowed.

Buy or sell: Letang signs a 3-5 year extension and takes a small discount.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Sutter16

Quote:

Buy for both i think they would come out flying.
Buy or sell: Orpik or Martin gets moved with prospects for a scoring winger.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Buy. If the NHL gets their contract limitations in place then so be it, it just means Malkin will be signing a shorter term. I'd say lateral pay, same as side. Contract signed to the max years allowed.

Buy or sell: Letang signs a 3-5 year extension and takes a small discount.
A small discount on his market value? Sure I'll buy but he'll still likely get 6.5-7.5 on a 5 year deal.

Buy or sell - Sutter scores 20+ goals and 40+ points.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I meant pace if the season is shortened. So I guess in a 60 game season, it would be 15 and 30.

Last edited by Shady Machine: 11-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Buy or sell - Sutter scores 20+ goals and 40+ points.
Sell. Shortened season, new team. Don't see it working out that great yet.

Buy / Sell: Martin is moved within the next year to a new team

Old
11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Sell. Shortened season, new team. Don't see it working out that great yet.

Buy / Sell: Martin is moved within the next year to a new team
Sell. It's possible but not likely. I think our offseason pursuit of a D partner for Letang is as much a reflection of Martin's performance last season as Orpik's. Maybe it's just me but with Bortuzzo NHL ready and Dumoulin looking very close, I could see us more easily replacing Orpik than Martin this season.

Martin-Letang
XXX-Niskanen
XXX-Engelland

I think we can fill in those slots in house this season.

Buy/Sell: Vokoun's puck handling fits our system like a glove this season and MAF continues to struggle in that facet of his game.

Last edited by mpp9: 11-07-2012 at 10:52 AM.
mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:56 AM
bigd

I don't think we make any moves out of the gate. Tangradi is ready to make the team. Strait and Bortuzzo will not clear waivers so I see Despres being sent back to WBS and going with 8 D and 14 forwards. We play 7 D-men and 11 forwards. Rotate Crosby and Malkin in for 4th line. Maybe giving them a break every once and a while against certain teams where we go with 6 D and 12 forwards. See how the team responds before making any rash moves. If Strait and Bortuzzo play well it only adds to their trade value. If they play poorly then the will probably make it through waivers anyway, so send them down and bring up Despres or Dumoulin.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Buy/Sell: Vokoun's puck handling fits our system like a glove this season and MAF continues to struggle in that facet of his game.
Buy. And that's a pretty good and overlooked point. Vokoun should fit in very well in terms of creating the transition game Disco likes. Fleury has a lot to prove this year. Another mediocre performance and I won't be surprised to see him gone at some point. He's a very likable guy from fan perspective and he'll always have that big save to clinch the Cup but you have to perform every year and he hasn't. So this will be his chance to have a "normal workload" that won't overwork him going into the playoffs, and a good guy to learn from in terms of improving his game. He has to make good on it or his days will be numbered IMO.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
boileroo

Buy or sell: The Real Deal hits 40G (or scaled equivalent) again?

boileroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

If by "scaled equivalent" you mean 30G (and probably 30A to match) in 60 games, I could see that. Buy.

Buy or Sell: Letang will be a Norris finalist next time around (whenever the next season played is).

Old
11-07-2012, 11:16 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boileroo View Post
Buy or sell: The Real Deal hits 40G (or scaled equivalent) again?
I'm gonna sell. I love Neal and I think he's capable of it, but I think Dan is going to move around some of the forwards with Crosby and Malkin both ready to play. It is obviously not out of the question still with either center, but I think 40 (or .5 goals per game) is gonna be more of a high end possibility.

Buy or sell: Morrow makes an appearance this season in an NHL game.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Buy or sell: Morrow makes an appearance this season in an NHL game.
Based on everyone's evaluation of his play in WBS, sell. He's obviously an important guy for us long term and has a wicked shot on the PP / great puck moving ability, but sounding like his good performance here last year in pre-season might've been a case of his adrenaline carrying him through unscathed. And it was pre-season; not exactly a reliable measure.

I always thought he had a chance at making the team with a great camp this year but that seems more unlikely now based on people's comments about his all-around game and awareness in the AHL. Actually sounds (and makes sense when you think about it) that of the new guys Dumoulin has the best shot of getting a call up, after Despres obviously.

I am firmly in the "we're not going to waive Strait or Bortuzzo" camp at this point. That means you'd need multiple concurrent injuries for Morrow to get a shot at any point and even then he might not get it. Just depends on who is hurt / what's needed, and who is playing best in the AHL at the time.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:46 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Got a little mixed up here.. let's get back on track.

Quote:
If by "scaled equivalent" you mean 30G (and probably 30A to match) in 60 games, I could see that. Buy.

Buy or Sell: Letang will be a Norris finalist next time around (whenever the next season played is).
Sell: Letang will be good, but Chara, Weber, and OEL/Doughty will be the finalists.

Buy/Sell: Dan Bylsma will be fired if the Pens do not make it to the playoffs or passed the first round?