HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Where to store/dry my gear?

Old
11-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Metrees

vCash: 500
Where to store/dry my gear?

So Hurricane Sandy destroyed my beautiful home and 90% of my possessions, except my hockey equipment. I have now moved in to a studio apartment until my home is renovated and livable again ( which could be anywhere between a few months to a year). This new apartment is tiny and I can't think of where to hang my equipment after usage.

Is there anyone who lives in a small space that has come up with a solution to this problem?

Metrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrees View Post
So Hurricane Sandy destroyed my beautiful home and 90% of my possessions, except my hockey equipment. I have now moved in to a studio apartment until my home is renovated and livable again ( which could be anywhere between a few months to a year). This new apartment is tiny and I can't think of where to hang my equipment after usage.

Is there anyone who lives in a small space that has come up with a solution to this problem?
There really are not very many options. The only thing you can really do is buy a ton of air fresheners and an industrial sized bottle of febreeze and hose your gear down with it after each skate. Put about 4 strongly scented air fresheners around the bag and that should kill most of the smell.

Also keep your bag near an open window whenever possible.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yikes, sorry to hear about that!

In your situation, I'd do one of two things...

1. Find a Shock Doctor bag and blower online, run it in the bathroom overnight with the bathroom fan on. It will dry all the gear with a couple cycles.

2. Get a small shelf or wire rack and put it in the bathtub, lay out your gear, turn on the bathroom fan and get a big fan to blow on it, spray with Febreze and/or rubbing alcohol. Should dry all the gear overnight hopefully.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrees View Post

I purchase a couple items for my hockey equipment now that I'm living in a small apartment. In the past I really didn't do to much to prevent my gear from smelling. Once I purchase some great gear I wanted to make sure it would last me a long time. The first is a equipment dryer kind of like the Shock Doctor Bag. The dryer works great to dry up my gear after games and prevent the build up of sweat smell. The next thing is a deodorizer that I usually put on my gear after it's done drying to give it a better smell. The third will be the deodorizer balls I usually put in my bag once my equipment is dried and ready to pack up. It might seem like a lot of money but it's actually worth it. I laugh a bit when my teammate tell me I don't smell or that equipment always smell like new.

Dryer
Link (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rocket-s...ent-dryer.html)

Deodorizer
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/odor-aid...ant-spray.html

Deodorizer Ball
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/odor-aid...zing-disc.html

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

AHHH I still want one of those Rocket dryers!

Old
11-06-2012, 10:41 AM
jsykes

These work well. http://www.totalhockey.com/product/M...ack/itm/374-2/

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just use a $20 wire rack from Home Depot, but I think you'd want something that breaks down quickly.

Just remembered, when I first started playing, I got one of those cheap wooden laundry racks, the kind that folds up like an accordion. That would work great. Again, put it in the bathtub with the fan on, spray it with rubbing alcohol to kill the germs, get a fan on it overnight, should work.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
JR97

I'm an apt dweller with nowhere to plant a gear tree so I go the shock doctor bag route. I got mine from hockey monkey. DO NOT BUY THE BLOWER THERE. They only have the old model.

For a few bucks more you can find the higher output mode. Most likely at a motor cycle racing website. Serious. The lower power blower takes 1 1/2 - 2 cycles to get my gear dry and I live in a non-humid area. A full cycle is 3 hours. I also take out the helmet and skates and just let those air dry. If I leave those in, it takes 2 1/2 - 3 cycles to get everything dry. But I love the bag and even with the lower powered blower, my gear is pretty dry the next day. It's a godsend on weeks I have back to back games. No putting on wet gear! woohoo!

Oh yeah... and be sure to only run the thing somewhere vented or with a fan like a bathroom. It'll make the room smell like a locker room in a hurry.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:50 PM
hyster110

the shock doctor bags are a load, i used mine and it never fully dried my gear. i would not recommend them at all. what you should do is in your bathroom, buy a gear stand/tree and a dehumidifier . as soon as you get home, spread your gear out and plug in the dehumidifier, let that run for 12 hours and you gear will be dry as can get. as for the smell, get the air effects and spray the air, not the gear. i didnt find it to be very useful and it made the gear feel weird. also every 6 months or so, soak your hear (except skates, helmet) in the tun and rinse out all the dried salts and sweat

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

All that stuff takes up a ton of space though.

I've had two of the Shock Doctor bags and they are okay. But I think the newest ones with the bigger blower would be much better. I have always had a good amount of space and am cheap, but if I had the cash and needed the room, I'd go that route.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
You can get PVC pipe and build one that is much sturdier for $20.

I need to get one of those Rocket Dryers, especially now that I am playing on back to back nights and goalie gloves just don't dry out overnight.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:48 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

I live in a tiny studio as well, and all I do is take everything out of my big in the little hall before the room opens up. Hang my compression pants and shirt over the shower curtain, and toss my shoulder pads under the bathroom sink and I'm good to go. As long as you air your stuff out as soon as you get home everytime, it wont start to stink in the first place.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:52 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
All that stuff takes up a ton of space though.

I've had two of the Shock Doctor bags and they are okay. But I think the newest ones with the bigger blower would be much better. I have always had a good amount of space and am cheap, but if I had the cash and needed the room, I'd go that route.
depends what you get as well, all the stuff i have takes up a space smaller than my bathroom

Old
11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Right, but in a studio apartment?

Old
11-07-2012, 12:11 PM
hyster110

thats is what several of my friends do

Old
11-07-2012, 01:40 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Hope you get back into your house quick. That just sucks.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:51 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
I second this. As an added bonus sometimes you'll wake up at night, see the outline in the dark and think someone is in the apartment. Seriously though, just leave it there for a day or so, in the corner, and buy a cheap spray from a sports store and you won't have to worry about smell. You also won't have to take up the entire bathroom with hockey gear hanging off everything!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:12 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I'm not sure what kind of space you have but my drying rack works well if you had any interest in this method. I washed my gear once and then threw everything on the rack after every use and my gear was totally smell-free (not that it was just 'not bad'... no smell at all) for a month or so until I forgot and left my gear in the bag.

This is the first setup; i've since added a second fan. On medium fan speed my gear is bone dry in maybe 2 hours. On high speed it's more like an hour.

The rack itself cost me maybe $10 tops and the fans were $30 a piece. They're Lasko Model 3520 fans if you care to look them up specifically. Any fan that moves a lot of air would work fine. Just be sure to keep it off the ground so it can suck air from underneath.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:13 PM
7toZulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm not sure what kind of space you have but my drying rack works well if you had any interest in this method. I washed my gear once and then threw everything on the rack after every use and my gear was totally smell-free (not that it was just 'not bad'... no smell at all) for a month or so until I forgot and left my gear in the bag.

This is the first setup; i've since added a second fan. On medium fan speed my gear is bone dry in maybe 2 hours. On high speed it's more like an hour.

The rack itself cost me maybe $10 tops and the fans were $30 a piece. They're Lasko Model 3520 fans if you care to look them up specifically. Any fan that moves a lot of air would work fine. Just be sure to keep it off the ground so it can suck air from underneath.
We've got the same tv stand ftw!! On a serious note, I just keep my gear spread out on a big chair next to a corner window with a fan blowing on it for a few hours. Works well enough in my 500 sf apartment

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Pog Form

In addition to hanging or spreading out your gear somewhere, buy a dehumidifier and run it close by for a few hours after you play. It does an amazing job, works best in small spaces, and you'll be shocked/disgusted by how much liquid it pulls out of your gear. If I play at night and turn my dehumidifier on when I get home, my gear is bone dry in the morning. Honestly, one of the best hockey investments I've ever made.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I second this. As an added bonus sometimes you'll wake up at night, see the outline in the dark and think someone is in the apartment. Seriously though, just leave it there for a day or so, in the corner, and buy a cheap spray from a sports store and you won't have to worry about smell. You also won't have to take up the entire bathroom with hockey gear hanging off everything!
I just got one of these metal gear trees and keep it in my laundry room. When I used for the first time, my wife said she came down to the basement to do laundry and thought there was an intruder... Totally almost lost her s**t.

But to stay on topic, I had a whole room in which I could lay everything out when I lived in an apartment. Now that I am in my new house I have limited space to dedicate to my equipment, hence the gear tree. I put my helmet, shouldies, jock, socks, girdle, shell, shin liners, and elbow pads on the tree and prop my shin guards next to it. I invested in a Maxx-Dry XL glove and boot dryer for my gloves and skates (BTW, this may be the best hockey related purchase I have made). These items really only take up the corner of a room and allow your gear to dry out properly. As long as you get wet gear out of the bag as quickly as possible (I know, I know, the last thing you want to do as soon as you get home) and you dry it in an area with at least marginal air circulation, smell will never be an issue... assuming it doesn't already smell, of course.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

If it's cheap enough, rent a small storage unit.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:09 PM
pelts35.com

Santa brought a Rocket Dryer for my son and me.

My son had a goalie clinic this morning, put it in the Rocket Dryer for 90 minutes and it's completely dry. It easily fit his c/a, pants, gloves, knee pads, throat protector and jock.

Real test will be after I play tonight and try it out. Will post the results in the morning.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

FYI I use the Rocket Sport Dryer not only for hockey, but for other stuff that I can't or don't want to throw into a conventional dryer.

Also acts as an excellent storage space. Highly recommended.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:10 PM
TrueBlue86

I've been using the rocket sports dryer so far and it works great.

i dry my stuff for 90 min.

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote