HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Kadri43

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
I think it's fair to say the big 4 aren't going anywhere. Tambo may not be the brightest person in the world, but even he isn't that dumb to trade one of them away, unless an untouchable piece from another team (I'm talking Pietrangelo/Doughty level) is coming back. I love Subban and would definitely want to add him, but not for Yakupov, Hall, Ebs, or RNH. If there are no other pieces Montreal is interested in, then there's no deal to be made.
I think the value of Subban for Yak would be pretty close. The Oilers already have eberle and hall on the wings so why couldn't this work? I am not sure whether it would make sense for Montreal though.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Obviously he means not including the Big 4, lets be realistic here.

I could definitely see him not wanting anyone else currently on the Oilers for Luongo, I wouldnt trade anything significant for Hemsky/Whitney/MPS/Gagner at this point, wouldnt make sense for the Bruins. Luongo is a good goalie, makes no sense to give him up for something that wont make the Canucks better for THIS year, given that they are an elite team and have cup aspirations.
Yes, he is so good that Vancouver doesnt want him anymore. If Luongo had a contract that wasnt a millstone around the neck, he would have value. Would you trade for Rick Dipietro?

Now youre starting to get the picture.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Reign Nateo

Why are people still talking about Luongo in this thread? Do you really think there's any way he's going to Edmonton? He's not going to waive to go to a rebuilding team in Northern Canada, in the same division, to be scrutinized the same way as he is in Vancouver. Not a chance in hell in my opinion that he goes to Edmonton so it's really not worth talking about so much or getting all bent out of shape about.

Besides that, Gillis would be an absolute moron to trade a motivated Roberto Luongo to a division rival for anything less than a package that would make Oiler fans panic all over their keyboards. There are lots of reasons this wont happen. Yes the HF kiddies think Luongo sucks, but hockey people know better.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I think the value of Subban for Yak would be pretty close. The Oilers already have eberle and hall on the wings so why couldn't this work? I am not sure whether it would make sense for Montreal though.
I personally think it would make sense for Montreal. They could re-unite the Galchenyuk/Yak line, and would instantly improve their O.

I'm not sure it makes sense for Edmonton in that they deparately needed scoring from their 2nd and 3rd line. Adding Yak, they split the Fab 4 into 2 different lines, making them that much more dangerous.

I, personally, love the way Subban plays, but based on the way Yak has played in the KHL this year, he is going to be special.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Yes, he is so good that Vancouver doesnt want him anymore. If Luongo had a contract that wasnt a millstone around the neck, he would have value. Would you trade for Rick Dipietro?

This is so uninformed you either just jumped on this Luongo discussion train or you're just trolling. Hard to say...

Old
11-06-2012, 08:54 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Obviously he means not including the Big 4, lets be realistic here.

I could definitely see him not wanting anyone else currently on the Oilers for Luongo, I wouldnt trade anything significant for Hemsky/Whitney/MPS/Gagner at this point, wouldnt make sense for the Bruins. Luongo is a good goalie, makes no sense to give him up for something that wont make the Canucks better for THIS year, given that they are an elite team and have cup aspirations.
Did you miss the part where he is making $6.7 million a year ($5.3 cap wise) to be their back up? Are you aware that no matter how the CBA negotiations pan out the cap is on the way down?

Swapping either Hemsky (29 y/o career 0.77 pt/gm winger) or Gagner (23 y/o career 0.60 pt/gm centre/winger) for a back up goalie would make a Canucks team in need of scoring better this year. I doubt they get a player of that caliber straight up for Luongo and his long-term cap hit.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Knucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
No, no. The interview made it quite clear this "wow" deal did not involve one of the kids.
Anybody who thinks the worst team in the NHL with outstanding core talent is going to get an exceptional player(s) in return for garbage or average to fringe players is delusional or at the very least on some narcotic. Its not even fathomable that a team is going to send some great talent to Edmonton for those type of players in return. Wake up people! Give your heads a shake

Old
11-06-2012, 09:28 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
Anybody who thinks the worst team in the NHL with outstanding core talent is going to get an exceptional player(s) in return for garbage or average to fringe players is delusional or at the very least on some narcotic. Its not even fathomable that a team is going to send some great talent to Edmonton for those type of players in return. Wake up people! Give your heads a shake
Larry Pleau says hello:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/news/35911

Old
11-06-2012, 09:34 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Why are people still talking about Luongo in this thread? Do you really think there's any way he's going to Edmonton? He's not going to waive to go to a rebuilding team in Northern Canada, in the same division, to be scrutinized the same way as he is in Vancouver. Not a chance in hell in my opinion that he goes to Edmonton so it's really not worth talking about so much or getting all bent out of shape about.

Besides that, Gillis would be an absolute moron to trade a motivated Roberto Luongo to a division rival for anything less than a package that would make Oiler fans panic all over their keyboards. There are lots of reasons this wont happen. Yes the HF kiddies think Luongo sucks, but hockey people know better.
Thanks for presenting your opinion as fact. Unless you have a credible source don't TELL us what's worth talking about or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
Deals like this happen all the time. You give your head a shake. The rumour states that it's a team that has no choice but to move this player. Likely in those situations, not many teams are interested in taking on that burden. Good luck getting a quality return for that.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
Are you really being realistic here. There's nobody...not even Justin Schultz. Vancouver threw a hissy fit because he chose Edmonton over Van. You mean you don't want Hemsky, PRV, Gagner, Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Smid....?

I'm sure none of the mentioned above would even make the team!
I said on the Oilers, the NHL team, not prospects.

Hemsky I dont want if we're giving anything significant, PRV wouldnt make our top six and Caron has a better bottom six skillset than him, Gagner is meh to me..wouldnt give anything significant, and the rest are prospects which I could understand elite teams not giving up NHL level talent for. Not saying Vancouver shouldnt do it, but its certainly arguable. Hemsky is the only one I could feasibly see Vancouver wanting, but do they really need another soft forward?

Schultz I just assumed wasn't available, if I said ANYTHING about Schultz you or one of your comrades who likely throw a hissy fit about how hes not available. I would love Schultz, obviously.

Schneider doesnt have an extended track record of being a successful NHL starter. I think he will be, but its certainly arguable that they dont want to give up a safety net in goal for some "futures" when the Sedins are nearing the home stretch in their careers.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:39 AM
vanwest

Quote:

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not but you should research the difference between Dipietro and Luongo.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Did you miss the part where he is making $6.7 million a year ($5.3 cap wise) to be their back up? Are you aware that no matter how the CBA negotiations pan out the cap is on the way down?

Swapping either Hemsky (29 y/o career 0.77 pt/gm winger) or Gagner (23 y/o career 0.60 pt/gm centre/winger) for a back up goalie would make a Canucks team in need of scoring better this year. I doubt they get a player of that caliber straight up for Luongo and his long-term cap hit.
I'm not saying its my opinion, I'm just arguing how they might feel.

Gagner doesnt have a third line center skillset and Hemsky is made of glass, do u really think Vancouver wants another soft forward? Talented for sure, but he has to stay on the ice to show that talent.

Vancouver has to decide a trade that will make them a better team.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:42 AM
vanwest

Quote:

Hemsky would make us better for the games he actually plays. Sam Gagner would be great for that one game a year he produces but should be nowhere near any contending team's top 6. You highlight the issues with Luongo's contract and then ignore the significant issues with both Hemsky and Gagner.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:

If you're comparing Luongo and Dipietro then this isnt even worth a debate. Luongo is clearly the more talented goalie.

Luongo would be the starter on any number of teams.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Hemsky would make us better for the games he actually plays. Sam Gagner would be great for that one game a year he produces but should be nowhere near any contending team's top 6. You highlight the issues with Luongo's contracts and then ignore the significant issues with both Hemsky and Gagner.
Pretty much this.

Gagners a good player, but I dont see how he fits in a bottom six role, and he certainly isnt a top six player on a contender.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:46 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Pretty much this.

Gagners a good player, but I dont see how he fits in a bottom six role, and he certainly isnt a top six player on a contender.
If I was targetting one of the non core players on Edmonton I'd be more interested in a player like MPS. He had a brutal year but he's still young and could become a good third line winger with some offensive upside if he can discover his offence again.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
If I was targetting one of the non core players on Edmonton I'd be more interested in a player like MPS. He had a brutal year but he's still young and could become a good third line winger with some offensive upside if he can discover his offence again.
Would you trade Luongo for him? Various posters are missing the point that its not about Hemsky/Gagner/MPS per se, its about whether it puts VAN in a better position to make a Cup run. Trading Luongo for futures/injury prone forwards/forwards that dont fit with the current lineup might not be seen as prudent.

Seems to me that MPS for Luongo wouldnt help your squad at all for the short term.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:59 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Would you trade Luongo for him? Various posters are missing the point that its not about Hemsky/Gagner/MPS per se, its about whether it puts VAN in a better position to make a Cup run. Trading Luongo for futures/injury prone forwards/forwards that dont fit with the current lineup might not be seen as prudent.

Seems to me that MPS for Luongo wouldnt help your squad at all for the short term.
No, I wouldn't do that trade. I agree with you that the objective should be to get a roster player who can contribute this year plus maybe a pick or prospect to help build up our prospect pool. The closest player that fits is probably Hemsky but he would be better suited to a team with lots of toughness in their top 6 who is looking for more skill. Injuries aside, he's not really a good fit for Vancouver but I could see another team being interested.

I'd also be pretty surprised if Luongo would be willing to go to Edmonton to be honest.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

Gagner doesnt have a third line center skillset and Hemsky is made of glass, do u really think Vancouver wants another soft forward? Talented for sure, but he has to stay on the ice to show that talent.

I'm just saying that a Hemsky level player - with all his injury warts - is the best case scenario Vancouver fans should be imagining for getting better next year.

If they are willing to give Luongo up for a prospect, I think MPS would be on the outer rim of a reasonable expectation.

Everyone knows the Nucks are going to have to shed that contract if they want to contend through a window that's starting to close. Everyone is also uncomfortable with Luongo's cap hit through 2018. Those two factors cannot lead to them swapping Luongo for a player or players of similar value (contracts excluded).

Old
11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
McArthur

Quote:

The argument not made, is the cap is going down 10 million dollars. Peter Chiarelli has been incredibly thrifty with signing players to the hometown discount, but Boston is a great hockey market, and travel is a huge advantage. Congrats, your lucky. Not everyone is so fortunate, and the value on high value prospects signed at low bills has just gone through the roof when it comes to teams trying to get under the cap ceiling.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:02 AM
bobbyflex

MON:
Subban
Price

EDM:
Yakupov
Gagner

MON
Lars Eller
1st round pick
2nd round pick

VAN
Luongo
Raymond

Old
11-06-2012, 10:05 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
MON:
Subban
Price

EDM:
Yakupov
Gagner

MON
Lars Eller
1st round pick
2nd round pick

VAN
Luongo
Raymond

Old
11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
MON:
Subban
Price

EDM:
Yakupov
Gagner

MON
Lars Eller
1st round pick
2nd round pick

VAN
Luongo
Raymond
Montreal doesn't do the first deal or the second.

That's going to be a very good 1st round pick this year.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
If you're comparing Luongo and Dipietro then this isnt even worth a debate. Luongo is clearly the more talented goalie.

Luongo would be the starter on any number of teams.
The key is their contracts are both so ridiculously bad that they have negative value.

You think Luongo is worth 7mill per year for the next 7yrs? I dont, and neither does anyone else with a pulse.

People saying Vancouver wont move him unless they get this or they get that are making my sides sore from laughing so hard. Gillis cant give him away. It suits me right down to the ground if Luongo stays right where he is tbh. Its about time someone gets burned by one of these cap circumvention contracts.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:16 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Montreal doesn't do the first deal or the second.

That's going to be a very good 1st round pick this year.
make the pick top-10 protected. I'm not a fan of either team, thus my valuation must be spot on

Closed Thread