HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 08:54 PM
That

vCash: 500
Really liked Hudon tonight. He really showed some great hockey sense and good puck skills. His hockey sense is quite fantastic and he applied into his own zone tonight very well. He had 2 or 3 interceptions tonight, showed some good awareness. He had a few chances tonight just because of his knack of getting open and finding space.

I was really impressed with how much energy Hudon played with. He forechecked quite aggressively. I liked one play where he came back in his own zone and knocked down Khokhlachev and stole puck. He also had some good work on the PK.

On a side note, I'm really starting to like Huberdeau. I've never been his biggest fan, but with the Canada-Russia Challenge, his play so far this season, and now tonight, I'm really liking his intensity. His skill is very evident, but he never seemed very aggressive out there. I never really saw him as a "go-getter". Now though, he's going out there and he's playing hard.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Really liked Hudon tonight. He really showed some great hockey sense and good puck skills. His hockey sense is quite fantastic and he applied into his own zone tonight very well. He had 2 or 3 interceptions tonight, showed some good awareness. He had a few chances tonight just because of his knack of getting open and finding space.

I was really impressed with how much energy Hudon played with. He forechecked quite aggressively. I liked one play where he came back in his own zone and knocked down Khokhlachev and stole puck. He also had some good work on the PK.

On a side note, I'm really starting to like Huberdeau. I've never been his biggest fan, but with the Canada-Russia Challenge, his play so far this season, and now tonight, I'm really liking his intensity. His skill is very evident, but he never seemed very aggressive out there. I never really saw him as a "go-getter". Now though, he's going out there and he's playing hard.
Before last year I always saw Huberdeau as the type of play that played alright the whole game but suddenly was able to score an amazing goal or two by streaking to the net.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I found Huberdeau gets knocked off the puck too easy. He hasn't progressed the last 2 years, still looks like a scrawny 175lbs 17 year old.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Maxpac

Hudon was awesome tonight. He just turned 18 and returned from an injury, very promising hometown player, love it!

Old
11-06-2012, 12:56 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Just joining the chorus of Hudon appreciaters. In the first half of the game he was easily the Qs best player IMO. His D work really stood out. I think if he was over 6 feet and 200 lbs he'd be an elite prospect. He was just like he was a few months ago in the CAN/Rus series. Making things happen on almost every shift. Made some nice passes. Worked along the boards really well. Great asset.

Grigs looked really good and made brilliant saucer passes like no one's business. Almost went coast to coast. I still prefer Galchenyuk's game IMO. Yakupov could've been better (I thought he played well) but you can see the explosiveness. Still think I'd prefer Galch to him as well.

I think Huberdeau's a solid player but a little over-hyped. If we we're to trade Galch straight up for him, I'd call for Bergevin's head. No way is he a better player than Galchenyuk. He MIGHT have more goal scoring potential than Galch but that's it.

Mackinnon wasn't jaw-dropping but I like what I saw. Big, strong and fast. He'll be a hell of a player but I don't know how head and shoulders he'll be above the rest.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Hopefully Hudon can make the WJC, although that is probably a tall order if the lockout is still on. But on a line with Danault they seem to be effective enough at that elite level. I didn't think MacKinnon was near as bad as most people seem to. Nor the Q performance in general. They were in it... enough. The defense and goaltending is just such an Achilles' heel for them now, though... maybe one player from that D might make Team Canada in a depth role (Ouellet), but that's it. The Russian D doesn't overwhelm with any star power either though... they were effective, and a lot of basic skill and versatility there, but when it comes to the Hamiltons and Riellys and Murrays and Murphys, Canada ought to be able to turn things into an advantage there. Shame that we can't have an advantage with a Q goaltending vs. Russian goaltending anymore either! But Vasilevski was excellent.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:10 AM
goforit

Is it me or the Hudon-Danault-Beauvillier didn't play so much in the 3rd period?

Didn't really like the coaching last night. Was looking to roll their line in order: 1-2-3-4. The only good moves has been to replace Dea by Mantha and even then, I think there was better option. Call me homer, but I think that Hudon should have been moved on that line and at least on the 2nd PP.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Is it me or the Hudon-Danault-Beauvillier didn't play so much in the 3rd period?

Didn't really like the coaching last night. Was looking to roll their line in order: 1-2-3-4. The only good moves has been to replace Dea by Mantha and even then, I think there was better option. Call me homer, but I think that Hudon should have been moved on that line and at least on the 2nd PP.
I think it's because he was using them as a strictly shutdown role against Yakupov's line, and with the huge Russian lead Yakupov's didn't need much ice time. Actually I noticed earlier in the game, the Russian coach played that line less and less because Hudons line was outplaying them on nearly every shift, easy way to keep Canada's best line off the ice. He should have been throwing out Hudons line some more to create scoring chances.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Was also impressed with Hudon last night, would be great if he can make the WJC's, but if not he should be a lock for the 2014 team. Looking forward to watching how he progresses over the next few years. Funny how Timmins keeps drafting such interesting guys in the 5th round.

Here's all of Timmins 5th round picks,

Charles Hudon -122nd
Darren Dietz- 138th
Brendan Gallagher- 147th
Gabriel Dumont- 139th
Maxim Trunev- 138th
Joe Stejskal- 133rd
Andrew Conboy- 142nd
Pavel Valentenko- 139th
Mathieu Aubin- 130th
Mikhail Grabovski- 150th

Old
11-06-2012, 10:02 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Was also impressed with Hudon last night, would be great if he can make the WJC's, but if not he should be a lock for the 2014 team. Looking forward to watching how he progresses over the next few years. Funny how Timmins keeps drafting such interesting guys in the 5th round.

Here's all of Timmins 5th round picks,

Charles Hudon -122nd
Darren Dietz- 138th
Brendan Gallagher- 147th
Gabriel Dumont- 139th
Maxim Trunev- 138th
Joe Stejskal- 133rd
Andrew Conboy- 142nd
Pavel Valentenko- 139th
Mathieu Aubin- 130th
Mikhail Grabovski- 150th
Fantastic...Out of the prospects that still haven't made the NHL, Hudon, Dietz, Gallagher and Dumont all have pretty decent chances of making the NHL. If all four end up making it, not too many teams can say that they drafted 2 NHLers in the 5th round in the last 4 drafts, let alone 4!

Old
11-06-2012, 10:29 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
There are some really promising forwards to complement the Dmen in Hamilton.Collberg, Kristo,Nystrom,Pribyl and Archambault should be arriving to bolster the offence next season.Geoffrion and Leblanc will stay up with the Habs next year and possibly Kristo.The Hamilton Bulldogs are in a dogfight with Erie of the OHL for the Copps Arena, stay tuned for the Laval Bulldogs coming to an Arena closer to you.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
There are some really promising forwards to complement the Dmen in Hamilton.Collberg, Kristo,Nystrom,Pribyl and Archambault should be arriving to bolster the offence next season.Geoffrion and Leblanc will stay up with the Habs next year and possibly Kristo.The Hamilton Bulldogs are in a dogfight with Erie of the OHL for the Copps Arena, stay tuned for the Laval Bulldogs coming to an Arena closer to you.
I think an OHL team would do better there. It would actually be their team, as opposed to the baby Habs.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:52 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I think an OHL team would do better there. It would actually be their team, as opposed to the baby Habs.
Especially a team with Connor McDavid playing for them,can only wait and see.Having the Bulldogs in the same city as the Habs,could only be a good thing.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Forsead

I just looked and Nygren is having a pretty good season with 12 points in 20 games and I've read somewhere that he is playing an impressive amount of icetime, which is different than last season.

Underrated prospect.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Especially a team with Connor McDavid playing for them,can only wait and see.Having the Bulldogs in the same city as the Habs,could only be a good thing.
You guys didn't support a junior team in Montreal that featured a half dozen Habs prospects and was coached by Alain Vigneault. Sherbrooke wouldn't support the AHL team, nor did Quebec with the Citadelles. I wouldn't count on any support in Quebec, too many front runners there.

The owner of the Bulldogs wants the team in Hamilton and is having reasonable success. No need to move a team. Stable ownership, good attendance, solid deal in place with Hamilton.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:12 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
You guys didn't support a junior team in Montreal that featured a half dozen Habs prospects and was coached by Alain Vigneault. Sherbrooke wouldn't support the AHL team, nor did Quebec with the Citadelles. I wouldn't count on any support in Quebec, too many front runners there.

The owner of the Bulldogs wants the team in Hamilton and is having reasonable success. No need to move a team. Stable ownership, good attendance, solid deal in place with Hamilton.
There is a bidding war of sorts between Hamilton and Erie of the OHL,so the Bulldogs may not have the final say in the matter.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Roulin

Quote:

Good points, but what if:

- Binghamton (3k attendance per game) moves to Laval
- Laval becomes the baby Habs
- Hamilton becomes the baby Sens

Feasible?

Old
11-06-2012, 12:36 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

Feasible?
I want my Bulldogs as the BabyHabs wherever they play,they are a young,multi-talented group of prospects with tremendous upside.When you follow all the Habs prospects closely and they start their professional careers in Hamilton it excites the hell out of me.With the talent in Hamilton,if they were to move to Laval,I believe the team would have lots of backing.The Bulldogs are destined to have strong teams,just looking at the importance that Bergevin has in his prospects at all levels.The Bulldogs will always have depth and quality as the feeder(farm) team for the Habs,players like Collberg,Bozon,Hudon,Kristo etc. etc.There will be no problem having fans for a team that is always in the("Elite of the AHL")top end and in the hunt for the Calder each year.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I just looked and Nygren is having a pretty good season with 12 points in 20 games and I've read somewhere that he is playing an impressive amount of icetime, which is different than last season.

Underrated prospect.
From what I saw he's playing 20+ minutes a night.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

Feasible?
No not really. The people of the Montreal area in Quebec have proven time and time again they won't support a minor league club or a junior team. That's just historical fact... Didn't work in Quebec City either. Why would it work in Laval now? They don't have a facility in place, the owner of the Bulldogs (who is also a part owner of the Habs) doesn't want to leave, and I believe one of the conditions of the new rink in Laval is that it doesn't receive Federal funding if it is occupied by a Junior or Pro team.

Quote from Andlauer (owner of the Bulldogs, part owner of the Habs)

"If the CH isn't on the shoulder patch in two years, so be it. However the Bulldog will remain on the front of the jersey in Hamilton."

I don't see the Habs severing ties with an owner from their organization to bring a team to Quebec - where they've never supported an AHL franchise.

There have been rumors of Bulldogs to Laval since 2008. It's old and just a fantasy of French fans who would like a similar setup to the Leafs organization with regards to proximity to their AHL franchise.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
There have been rumors of Bulldogs to Laval since 2008. It's old and just a fantasy of French fans who would like a similar setup to the Leafs organization with regards to proximity to their AHL franchise.
You made some good points, but I have no idea how it came down to that.

I think the people of Montréal and the North shore would like a set-up similar to the Leafs. And it makes sense in many, many ways.

I'm not claiming it would work. But as someone from Laval, I'd be in line to buy season tickets. I'm not sure the project is getting much buzz though so I do understand your sceptimism. Just don't bring language into it. It's just asking for trouble.

Last edited by Gabe84: 11-06-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old
11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
No not really. The people of the Montreal area in Quebec have proven time and time again they won't support a minor league club or a junior team. That's just historical fact... Didn't work in Quebec City either. Why would it work in Laval now? They don't have a facility in place, the owner of the Bulldogs (who is also a part owner of the Habs) doesn't want to leave, and I believe one of the conditions of the new rink in Laval is that it doesn't receive Federal funding if it is occupied by a Junior or Pro team.

Quote from Andlauer (owner of the Bulldogs, part owner of the Habs)

"If the CH isn't on the shoulder patch in two years, so be it. However the Bulldog will remain on the front of the jersey in Hamilton."

I don't see the Habs severing ties with an owner from their organization to bring a team to Quebec - where they've never supported an AHL franchise.

If they really want their AHL team in Laval, they will find another one not from Hamilton.

Habs Prospects website
Old
11-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Beendair Donedat

They may do that, but do you really think they'll pull an "end around game" on a minority owner of their own franchise??? Seems highly unlikely.

Gabe I wasn't trying to bring language in to the debate. I used French when I should have used "Québécois." My mistake and I apologize.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
3rd straight game without a point for Bozon tonight. 3rd straight loss for the Blazers too.

Nothing to be worried about, they were playing at such a ridiculously dominant level that a correction was coming.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

26 penalty minutes for Bozon including a game misconduct....Suspension ahead?

Closed Thread