HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Subway Super Series - Yakupov -6GP: 2G 2A

Old
11-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
in 1923-41 there was an autonomy of Russian Germans on Volga near Saratov, around 600,000 people. when the WW2 started they were all proclaimed potential spies for Germany, their autonomy was dissolved and the people were banished to Siberia, Ural and Kazakhstan, with most never returning from there. among those there was my own granny's family. that's why there are many families with German names in said areas, and Schoenfeld along with Moser are most probably of this ancestry. you may remember San Jose goalie Dimitri Patzold who is of the Kazakhstan German descent. Even Pavel Bure, while having a somewhat different story, is related to Siberian Germans.
Aha, the company I work for in Moscow, our official photographer's surname is Schultz, grew up mostly in Omsk. Funny man... I look forward to every time I need new company photos.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:24 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Grigorenko seems to be everything Malkin was at the same age, minus the speed (pretty big difference maker though IMO)

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
in 1923-41 there was an autonomy of Russian Germans on Volga near Saratov, around 600,000 people. when the WW2 started they were all proclaimed potential spies for Germany, their autonomy was dissolved and the people were banished to Siberia, Ural and Kazakhstan, with most never returning from there. among those there was my own granny's family. that's why there are many families with German names in said areas, and Schoenfeld along with Moser are most probably of this ancestry. you may remember San Jose goalie Dimitri Patzold who is of the Kazakhstan German descent. Even Pavel Bure, while having a somewhat different story, is related to Siberian Germans.
Perfect, thank you, I was really wondering because the name Schoenfeld just stood out so much on the broadcast. The kid played well too.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
hmmm. very interesting. thank you

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Da McBomb

I thought Yakupov had a decent game yesterday. You can totally see his elite skill level and skating ability and he looked like one of the more dangerous forwards out there. But I was really impressed with Grigs game last night. He looked like a completely different player compared to when I seen him before. MacKinnon showed flashes but tbh I was expecting more from him considering all the hype. He's got good size and skating, but his offensive skill level is not on par with Yakupov for sure. And I wasn't as impressed with Huberdeau as some people were. The play died on his stick quite a bit I thought.

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:26 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I thought Yakupov had a decent game yesterday. You can totally see his elite skill level and skating ability and he looked like one of the more dangerous forwards out there. But I was really impressed with Grigs game last night. He looked like a completely different player compared to when I seen him before. MacKinnon showed flashes but tbh I was expecting more from him considering all the hype. He's got good size and skating, but his offensive skill level is not on par with Yakupov for sure. And I wasn't as impressed with Huberdeau as some people were. The play died on his stick quite a bit I thought.
I wasn't impressed with MacKinnon at all. It looked like the older/stronger Russians had no problem containing him (which doesn't bode well for someone looking to step into the NHL next season).

Hopefully he shows a bit better next game.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I wasn't impressed with MacKinnon at all. It looked like the older/stronger Russians had no problem containing him (which doesn't bode well for someone looking to step into the NHL next season).

Hopefully he shows a bit better next game.
Mackinnon is younger than most of the players out there, and its not like he looked bad or anything. He'll be ok.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:52 AM
czar99

Is there high lights anywhere. Can't believe I forgot about the game yesterday.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:59 AM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Mackinnon is younger than most of the players out there, and its not like he looked bad or anything. He'll be ok.
He looked bad on the wing. Once he was moved back to centre he looked way better.

Too young and inexperienced to be playing out of his natural position, given the level of competition with this particular Russian team.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:01 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I'm sure he will be. I guess my expectations were a little high based on what I've heard (I haven't seen many Mooshead games).

To me his upside is more Patrick Kane than Sidney Crosby.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:04 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Is there high lights anywhere. Can't believe I forgot about the game yesterday.
They should be up on sportsnet.ca

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:05 AM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
They should be up on sportsnet.ca
I'll check again but I couldn't fin them.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:10 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I'll check again but I couldn't fin them.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest...QMJHL-2/page/2

The sportsnet website is pretty awful...

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Qrispy

Grigs impressed for sure. Reminds me of Joe Thornton. Some teams are going to regret passing over him. Yakupov was also making nice passes all night long. For a guy who can shoot the puck so hard, he's got such soft hands.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Da McBomb

Did Zharkov play last night? I don't think I saw him.

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:51 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
This, my friends..is why there are so many hot big lipped, blue eyed blonde babes with curvy bodies coming out of Russia!

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I'm sure he will be. I guess my expectations were a little high based on what I've heard (I haven't seen many Mooshead games).

To me his upside is more Patrick Kane than Sidney Crosby.
The Crosby comparison never had anything to do with style/potential and everything to do with upbringing and career path.
It's unfortunate for him the media has made that connection, MacKinnon looks like he'll be a strong 1st overall similar to our own picks but I don't think anyone considers him near Crosby level.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:28 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Did Zharkov play last night? I don't think I saw him.
Hes just playing in the OHL games I think

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:58 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/latest...QMJHL-2/page/2

The sportsnet website is pretty awful...
I agree and thanks. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Old
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Twitter had a link last night on the Oilers feed to highlights in Russian of Yakupov's goal, there's a couple of different angles on the replay.

Kak dela, Joe Sakupov?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:18 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Grigs impressed for sure. Reminds me of Joe Thornton. Some teams are going to regret passing over him. Yakupov was also making nice passes all night long. For a guy who can shoot the puck so hard, he's got such soft hands.
Really unfortunate that the Oil couldnt swing a deal to grab a pick to take Grigs. I wonder what the price was for any of the available picks at that stage.

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

A friend of mine at work has managed to obtain a couple of tickets for the Super Series game in Victoria on Nov 15, and has offered me one of them.

I knew there was a reason for coming into work today.

Of course, this is tempered a bit by the fact that he's a Canucks fan, and told me he's hoping Yakupov has a career-ending injury at the game. He so silly!

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Mctopchowda

Really chilling that once the lockout ends the top prospects entering the league with be:

A energetic russian sniper with a nose for the net
A a cole harbour centerman whos been highly toted for a while
A big russian centerman with a slick hands

Ovy,Crosby,Malkin 2.0

Mctopchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Kid Dynamite
5 14 6 1

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Really chilling that once the lockout ends the top prospects entering the league with be:

A energetic russian sniper with a nose for the net
A a cole harbour centerman whos been highly toted for a while
A big russian centerman with a slick hands

Ovy,Crosby,Malkin 2.0
Malkin didn't enter the league until the year after Ovi / Sid

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:44 PM
oilers83

Any else notice Yakupovs tendency of playing the puck back into his own zone instead of making the simple play to get it out to the neutral zone? It definitely seemed he was easing his way thru the game but still was one of the top two skaters on the ice, unreal.

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote