HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 01:24 AM
SCBruCrew4

vCash: 500
Went to play a pick-up game....and....I forgot my gloves at the house...FML

Old
11-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Dropped the second game of the year 6-2. Not good. Two assists on the year for me but about a -5. I suck at defense.

On the plus side, the rink was less than five minutes from my house so my kid got to watch the first period. He had fun. Really wanted me to score a goal. Maybe next time.

Also, I was rushing the puck and got checked into the boards pretty hard. He laughed. I drew a penalty and almost scored on the PP. Kid was happy because I waved to him. The little things.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:07 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Dropped the second game of the year 6-2. Not good. Two assists on the year for me but about a -5. I suck at defense.

On the plus side, the rink was less than five minutes from my house so my kid got to watch the first period. He had fun. Really wanted me to score a goal. Maybe next time.

Also, I was rushing the puck and got checked into the boards pretty hard. He laughed. I drew a penalty and almost scored on the PP. Kid was happy because I waved to him. The little things.
Sounds awesome. My little guy is only 6 months, but I already can't wait until he makes his first trip to the rink and knows what is going on.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Sounds awesome. My little guy is only 6 months, but I already can't wait until he makes his first trip to the rink and knows what is going on.
My girlfriend was trying to explain the concept of defense to him. "Those are like bad guys, and your dad doesn't want them to score the puck in the goal."

She probably has a better grasp of it than I do

Old
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My girlfriend was trying to explain the concept of defense to him. "Those are like bad guys, and your dad doesn't want them to score the puck in the goal."

She probably has a better grasp of it than I do

Old
11-06-2012, 07:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Went to my game last night and discovered I had left my pants at home. Talked to the league director and she gave me two choices - a pair of XL goalie pants, or M skater pants.

When I started skating, I needed XL pants. I've since lost a bit of weight and was happily surprised that the M skater pants fit just fine! I skated my game in them and even had a couple of shots on the net. Didn't go in, though.

We lost in a shoot-out, after the goal that would have taken us to 3-2 was disallowed.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Ozz

Got the game-winner in a 5-2 win, though we only got to play a minute shy of halfway through. The other goalie got injured and taken out on an ambulance and so the game was called. We just started to unload on them, the game was 2-2 going into the 2nd. Three minutes into the 3rd we were up 5-2.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:23 AM
wahsnairb

had 2 goals and 2 helpers in my first full game of the season
(coming back from a torn groin)

Old
11-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
erm...how are you doing now?

Today I should have played house, but I'm bed bound with tonsilitis. Hmph.
Sorry I responded so late I had no power. I finished my shift which was another minute and a half, the pain went completely away by the beginning of the third period.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:33 PM
PaperworkNinja

Tonight, I head to my learn-to-play class at the latest time I've seen so far in this town: 10:15pm. I'll probably be the only one there since that cuts into everyone else's sleep/family/alcohol abuse time.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Jackson12

scored my first non garbage goal in sooo long

Old
11-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Today I played my fourth game in my intramural league. We managed to win 5-3. That brings our record to 2-2. Both our wins were when we've only had 5 skaters plus me the goalie. I don't know why they hell we're winning those games but I'm not complaining considering I thought we were going to get dusted. I don't feel bruised or battered which is a nice change of pace too.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:32 AM
PaperworkNinja

Wound up with two other guys & the coach for learn-to-play tonight. Spent time on balance & agility drills, some stride work and wrist shots. I'm lifting my stick too early and still occasionally slap the puck instead of rolling it off the blade. A great night of focusing on skills.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Last night we had the 11PM game and I got a couple of last minute cancellations so we only had 2 full lines on offense playing against a full team. Our goalie and defense had a rough game so we down 3-0 within the first 2 minutes. We battled back and ended up winning 9-6, but it probably would have been closer if their top offenseman did not get a 10 min misconduct in the third for arguing a call and swearing at the ref. I ended up with 2 goals and an assist.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Got the game-winner in a 5-2 win, though we only got to play a minute shy of halfway through. The other goalie got injured and taken out on an ambulance and so the game was called. We just started to unload on them, the game was 2-2 going into the 2nd. Three minutes into the 3rd we were up 5-2.
Got an update last night - the goalie did indeed break his ankle. Poor guy!

Old
11-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Thesensation19

If you want to be better than me, your going to have to train harder than me. Hurricane Sandy tried to knock me down and though it took my power and my heat and my water I still managed to find open rinks and open hockey. Played twice since Monday, hope to play again this weekend. Worked out last night on my core and my legs and some shoulders. A little bit of everything actually, looking to go further today. Attack my body and make it have to regenerate itself after tearing it up.

Over the weekend I must have shot over 100 shots just in my basement on a net and worked on some stick handling with a cousin of mine.

I will admit ive been caught up in school work and my work schedule but im back baby. try to compete with me, im sure my mind will overcome it all

Old
11-08-2012, 09:44 AM
AIREAYE

That's gotta feel good, especially in your circumstance^

Old
11-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Last night I played pickup at a rink I usually don't play at. The times just work out to me getting less sleep and make for a much longer work day. It was nice to play against different players and player types than I usually do and I felt really good. Skated like the wind and pulled off a few maneuvers that surprised even myself. Only one goal though. I keep trying to do too much when it comes to finishing a breakaway and I need to get back into the mode of a quick placed shot. Next time.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:32 AM
do0glas

Won 4-0! Got two assists!

My first non garbage assist; nice back hander across the crease for the goal!

And I have to shout out our goalie for 3 shut outs in a row! 30+ shots a game :O

Old
11-10-2012, 10:24 AM
TheeNorthStar

Last night played pickup hockey for the 1st time in a couple months...

It was alright... we werent keeping score but i was keeping track of my performance, i had a goal and 2 assists...

Had a wide open rebound opportunity* on one and it was a solid backhand rebound shovel and it hits the bar... I was like "No way. "

It was fun to get back out there though.

Last edited by TheeNorthStar: 11-10-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Going to be posted somewhere with no ice rink for a year for compulsory military services. Will hang my mitts for a year. Almost unthinkable for me seeing how I was on ice pretty much every other day for the last year.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
hlaverty06

Backhand toe drag threw the legs and off my skate to get around a guy, i practiced it only a few times but executed it flawlessly

Old
11-10-2012, 02:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Going to be posted somewhere with no ice rink for a year for compulsory military services. Will hang my mitts for a year. Almost unthinkable for me seeing how I was on ice pretty much every other day for the last year.
Wow, compulsory military service in Taiwan? What branch did you enlist in?

Old
11-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Got hit in the elbow by a slapshot clearance while lining semi-pro (I don't wear elbow pads since they are restrictive and I never fall and very rarely get hit by the puck)

Couldn't feel my arm for like 5 minutes

Old
11-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Wow, compulsory military service in Taiwan? What branch did you enlist in?
I got lucky because I have a foreign passport - will be doing alternative/social services instead. I'll be teaching English in some epic rural school. I'd say it's a 5-6 hour commute from there to Taipei city center.

Closed Thread