HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
It's not a bad thing he can play on the wings, might as well get him used to that role when he plays on the power play with Barkov someday.

...and then I woke up.
Don't want to be a killjoy!! But...

Thing is (among others)...his faceoff skills will become rusty if he continues playing wing. I'm sooo happy Galchenyuk is making everyone happy (incl. me!) but I do hope he gets to be a center with our Habs...since it's been many decades since we've had a center like Galchy. I'd like to take advantage of that opportunity.

And...I want to know who is protecting Galchy out there...
I don't want a dirty player to try and make a name for himself by injuring Galchy. I'm not (and wasn't before either) at all concerned about Galchenyuk's potential (I trust Timmins even though I didn't like the A.Kosts pick...can't win 'em all!)....I'm more concerned about Galchenyuk's health and protection.

And comparisons...imo Galchenyuk does remind me of Forsberg (very smooth style, skating, passing). Malkin and Kopitar as well (smooth, beautiful, slick European style).
Can't wait for 2013-2014!! Dec.21,2012 better not be happening! (*sarcasm*).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-06-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old
11-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Mats86

Gal looks something special! Like to see Timmins have a shot at extra high pick again this year. Maybe deal a Plekanec with couple of 2nds for top 10 pick?

Old
11-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Gal looks something special! Like to see Timmins have a shot at extra high pick again this year. Maybe deal a Plekanec with couple of 2nds for top 10 pick?
Are you serious? or I sure as hell hope you forgot this >>

Old
11-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Leblanc Plekanec Cole
Pacioretty Galchenyuk Desharnais
Bourque Eller Gionta
Moen White Prust
I like the idea, my only problem: Leblanc at LW, Desharnais at RW? Not sure this is really feasible considering their handedness and the fact they've never played either position to my knowledge. Desharnais did play some LW in his rookie year, especially in Game 5 vs Boston.

Flip them and it makes more sense to me, but then you have DD and Pleks playing together, which is way too small.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:56 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
2nd to none was an expression, but you're mistaken in any event. I followed Forsberg career entirely. There's no way you can say those guys (maybe Lemieux) had better hands. At the same time, you can't really say Forsberg had better hands than Jagr either. They're all in the same category imo. Forsberg doesn't get as much recognition because he was injured quite often, not to mention playing in the west most of his career.

I mean, even Lemieux played 200 more games than him.
Well, I don't see it the same, but, that may simply because of the way I decompose a player's skills. I see that some of the incredible plays Forsberg did was because he had good hands, but more importantly was very strong on the puck (like a bulldog) and could see the openings that where given to him because of his vision (plays that the opponents didn't expect him to do). For example, many other players might have had the hands to do the moves Forsberg did to score his goals or make his passes, but they didn't have his strength on the puck to pull off these moves with defenders draped over them.

In any case, Galchenyuk seems to have that vision that enables him to take advantage of whatever space the other team gives him and he seems very strong on the puck too. Now, it remains to be seen if he'll be able to do that at the NHL level like Forsberg, but he has the tools for it. Also, from all accounts, he's a very driven player, like Forsberg, even though he doesn't hit like him. Finally, like Forsberg, he has a very good shot, but he seems to be more of a playmaker anyway.

All that to say that if Galchenyuk becomes anywhere near the caliber of player that Forsberg was, we're all in for a treat.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I like the idea, my only problem: Leblanc at LW, Desharnais at RW? Not sure this is really feasible considering their handedness and the fact they've never played either position to my knowledge. Desharnais did play some LW in his rookie year, especially in Game 5 vs Boston.

Flip them and it makes more sense to me, but then you have DD and Pleks playing together, which is way too small.
You can switch Pacioretty then

Pacioretty Plekanec Leblanc
Desharnais Galchenyuk Cole
Bourque Eller Gionta

Old
11-06-2012, 09:15 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
- A player can join an AHL team if he has played (4???) years in the CHL, I think that's how Nathan Beaulieu is on the Bulldogs this year in spite of being 19.
Beaulieu is in Hamilton because he turns 20 before Jan 1st in addition he played 4 years in the CHL, so he could play in the AHL for either reason.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'd also prefer Cole and Pacioretty being seperated. I would like to see a more balanced lineup as well instead of throwing all our eggs in one basket. Great stuff, we had one lined that produced, but we finished last, so big woop.

For me, assuming nothing changes next season, I would have liked to see

Leblanc Plekanec Cole
Pacioretty Galchenyuk Desharnais
Bourque Eller Gionta
Moen White Prust

For me it's about creating a balances team and a set of lines that you don't have to go crazy for matchups. Yes, matchups are always important, but the more options you have the better. We also need to stop looking at lines in the line 1, 2, 3, 4 framework. There is no first line etc etc. There is matchups and lines with specific roles.

This line also distributes the size throughout the line up as well as scoring depth. Plekanec for once will have two fore-checkers with some offensive talent. Leblanc isn't the biggest guy, but he is still a tenacious forechecker.

Galchenyuk is placed on a line where he can dish the puck to a scoring winger and have the puck distrubuted to him in Desharnais. Desharnais will also have his talents exploited as he has two players to distribute the puck to.

Eller with Gionta, a shoot-first guy and Bourque, also a shoot first guy, will give Eller two shooters with decent talent on the same line, something he hasn't had since he's been with the team. Also, a duo of Eller and Gionta makes the line pretty defensively aware.

I would feel comfortable with this lineup because I could pretty much matchup any line with any other of the opposing team's line aside from the grinders. Of course, we can't expect too much of Galchenyuk defensively (again I'm assuming he will develop in the way we hope by next season), which is why he'd still get an offensive role preferably against softer matchups.

Balance, matchups and depth. It's the key to winning.
I don't like the Eller line at all. We all know Bourque and Gionta aren't very competent passers, and neither is Eller. I'd switch Gionta and Desharnais, if that were to be our top 9 for next season.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:42 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Bourque-Desharnais-Cole
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Eller
Armstrong-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust

Old
11-06-2012, 09:47 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Bourque-Desharnais-Cole
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Eller
Armstrong-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust
I know were pretty much stuck with him, but seeing Bourque in our line up, let alone on the first line, gives me heartburn.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Beendair Donedat

Bourque is going to be fine. He's going to have a new coach, better linemates, and a good system in place to succeed. Bourque has always achieved after returning from injury, and his numbers speak for themselves. Crucifying the guy who was the centerpiece of the Cammelleri deal after 38 games of a throw away season, with a fired coach/GM isn't smart. The best that could have happened is this lockout as it gives him time to come back healthy.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:06 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Bourque is going to be fine. He's going to have a new coach, better linemates, and a good system in place to succeed. Bourque has always achieved after returning from injury, and his numbers speak for themselves. Crucifying the guy who was the centerpiece of the Cammelleri deal after 38 games of a throw away season, with a fired coach/GM isn't smart. The best that could have happened is this lockout as it gives him time to come back healthy.
Yeah i've just never been a fan...The guy scores, but also dissapears a lot too. Seems kind of heartless on most nights. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Playing with DD is exactly what Bourque needs.

As for my lines, the intent is to have three 2 way lines and 1 shutdown energy line.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Yeah i've just never been a fan...The guy scores, but also dissapears a lot too. Seems kind of heartless on most nights. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
He won't get to disappear much with Therrien coaching.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Well, I don't see it the same, but, that may simply because of the way I decompose a player's skills. I see that some of the incredible plays Forsberg did was because he had good hands, but more importantly was very strong on the puck (like a bulldog) and could see the openings that where given to him because of his vision (plays that the opponents didn't expect him to do). For example, many other players might have had the hands to do the moves Forsberg did to score his goals or make his passes, but they didn't have his strength on the puck to pull off these moves with defenders draped over them.

In any case, Galchenyuk seems to have that vision that enables him to take advantage of whatever space the other team gives him and he seems very strong on the puck too. Now, it remains to be seen if he'll be able to do that at the NHL level like Forsberg, but he has the tools for it. Also, from all accounts, he's a very driven player, like Forsberg, even though he doesn't hit like him. Finally, like Forsberg, he has a very good shot, but he seems to be more of a playmaker anyway.

All that to say that if Galchenyuk becomes anywhere near the caliber of player that Forsberg was, we're all in for a treat.
Anyway you want to cut it, Forsberg was an amazing stickhandler. Ovechkin is strong on the puck, but he's not that great at stickhandling. He will power through opponents, outskate them, but he'll rarely actually make them fall on their ass due to his stickhandling. Forsberg could deke players without moving his skates.

In any event, I agree, we're in the money if Gally gets anywhere near Forsberg's level.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:20 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
He won't get to disappear much with Therrien coaching.
It'll be nice to have a coach with some passion on the bench.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:22 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I can't believe we won't be watching hockey for another year...

Can anyone please give me a quick recap of how Gally is playing lately? I read that he's been playing on the wing but I'd like to have some feedback from people who have been following him closely this season with Sarnia. I'm too lazy to go through 4 threads and 36 pages lol.

Thanks in advance!

Old
11-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I was watching the Subway Super Series. Man, am I happy to see us having Galchenyuk in our system...I wasn't impressed that much with the prospects but watching Galchenyuk playing in Sarnia right now, damn do we have a gem. Really eager to see Galchenyuk matching up against Yakupov and the Oilers in the future.
I thought the same thing last night. To be sure, some of the players really stood out, but none of them have the total arsenal we have seen from him lately. Grigorenko and Yakupov certainly displayed a ton of skill though. Overall, I found the Russian team had a lot more poise and skill than the QMJHL team. I was impressed with Mantha, Hudon, Ouellet and Andrews though. Huberdeau played relatively well, just could not finish. MacKinnon was unimpressive to say the least (although he did play 3 games in 3 days). The team defense of the Russians was just so much more superior to the Q. The Russians did a good job of keeping the QMJHL out of the slot, while QMJHL had a really tough time doing that. I know Marcoux got a lot of flack. Surely he was not AMAZING, but no one expects him to outduel Vasilevski and he had a far less good D in front of him.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:28 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
I can't believe we won't be watching hockey for another year...

Can anyone please give me a quick recap of how Gally is playing lately? I read that he's been playing on the wing but I'd like to have some feedback from people who have been following him closely this season with Sarnia. I'm too lazy to go through 4 threads and 36 pages lol.

Thanks in advance!
If you fancy a longer read, here's all of the game recaps I've done on him to date: https://docs.google.com/document/pub...JL2stYZMxvY-VA

If not, then:

Since Oct 18th he's been absolutely awesome. He's had a few bad games, but for the most part he's looked very very good. He's dominated two games from start finish, just completely took them and never looked back (which is rare), and has had his fair share of dominating shifts. He looks almost too good out there.

At the start of the season he was playing fairly timid and a had a tendency to go invisible, but lately that has not been the case. Even when he's been held pointless he still made an impact one way or another. Very strong on the puck, very fast, amazing hands, and incredible vision. Those four things are a deadly combination. His only issue has been consistency, but the rough games are few and far between.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:38 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
At the start of the season he was playing fairly timid and a had a tendency to go invisible, but lately that has not been the case. Even when he's been held pointless he still made an impact one way or another. Very strong on the puck, very fast, amazing hands, and incredible vision. Those four things are a deadly combination. His only issue has been consistency, but the rough games are few and far between.
Is he better off as a winger (his natural position) or as a centerman?

Old
11-06-2012, 11:43 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
If you fancy a longer read, here's all of the game recaps I've done on him to date: https://docs.google.com/document/pub...JL2stYZMxvY-VA

If not, then:

Since Oct 18th he's been absolutely awesome. He's had a few bad games, but for the most part he's looked very very good. He's dominated two games from start finish, just completely took them and never looked back (which is rare), and has had his fair share of dominating shifts. He looks almost too good out there.

Thanks man!

Exactly what I wanted!

Old
11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Don't want to be a killjoy!! But...

Thing is (among others)...his faceoff skills will become rusty if he continues playing wing. I'm sooo happy Galchenyuk is making everyone happy (incl. me!) but I do hope he gets to be a center with our Habs...since it's been many decades since we've had a center like Galchy. I'd like to take advantage of that opportunity.

And...I want to know who is protecting Galchy out there...
I don't want a dirty player to try and make a name for himself by injuring Galchy. I'm not (and wasn't before either) at all concerned about Galchenyuk's potential (I trust Timmins even though I didn't like the A.Kosts pick...can't win 'em all!)....I'm more concerned about Galchenyuk's health and protection.

And comparisons...imo Galchenyuk does remind me of Forsberg (very smooth style, skating, passing). Malkin and Kopitar as well (smooth, beautiful, slick European style).
Can't wait for 2013-2014!! Dec.21,2012 better not be happening! (*sarcasm*).
This is a very important matter for the Habs,a policeman on his line that has skill as well as skating.One such player in this years draft is Tyler Hill another with more skill is Tony Mantha.Both of these players would be great for the future,a team can never have enough Power Forwards.Galchenyuk playing the type of game he does and also being the Premier Prospect must surely warrant a Tyler Hill on his line with Sebastian Collberg.These three players would complement each others game,all three go to the net, play the boards and can shoot out the lights or knock out someones lights if they harass his linemates.(Tyler Hill/Heavyweight/Power Forward)My choice for a 2nd round pick.If Galchenyuk for some reason has a smaller LW on his line(Drouin or Hudon)then Mike McCarron from the USNTDP/U18 team has good skating and contributes offensively while carrying a 6'5" 230 lbs. frame

Last edited by S Bah: 11-06-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old
11-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Give gally top players... Give bourque a good chance to succeed, and have two big guys on every line and you get:

Gally pleks cole
Patches DD bourque
Moen eller gionta
Prust white armstrong

Old
11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Is he better off as a winger (his natural position) or as a centerman?
Centre, without a doubt. Where it be this year, last year in the playoffs, or his rookie season no matter what position he has played, he always occupies the centre of the ice. He likes to use the centre of the ice and creates his chances from there.

Galchenyuk hasn't played a whole lot of centre so far this season, but it's quite evident that he's going to dominate offensively no matter what position he plays. Whether that be centre or either wing. So him being better off at wing or centre has no bearing on his offense. It's his defence. While at centre he plays much better defensively because he doesn't really have a choice. At wing he chooses when he wants to play defence because that his centre's role.

Like I said though, he plays in the centre of the ice and he's pretty damn good defensively. Since I've started tracking his faceoff stats he's been at 64%, it's a small sample size, but the way he takes the draw has improved. He doesn't try to win to them cleanly every time any more. Those 3 things combined point towards him being better as centre in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
Thanks man!

Exactly what I wanted!
No problem

Old
11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Give gally top players... Give bourque a good chance to succeed, and have two big guys on every line and you get:

Gally pleks cole
Patches DD bourque
Moen eller gionta
Prust white armstrong
That could be interesting if Gally proves himself ready to play along side Plek.

Closed Thread