HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Stick For Defenseman?

Old
11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
DohBruins

vCash: 500
Best Stick For Defenseman?

First of all my last stick was the Easton synergy... I don't know much else besides it was a 65 flex and a model from 2010. It hasn't worked very well at all, I got it as a Christmas present so I wanted to use it as long as possible to show thanks of sort. It's unbearable now. My main problem with it is the grip and the curve, for some reason it feels like the puck will always slide right out of my hands

I had a version of the O stick a while ago and it worked very well for Defense.

What are the best specs that you guys find works best for a defenseman?

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:52 PM
hyster110

100% personal preference you just have to find a curve, flex and stick that work for you

a little more about yourself would help the rest of us narrow it down

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
100% personal preference you just have to find a curve, flex and stick that work for you

a little more about yourself would help the rest of us narrow it down
umm... I have a great slapper so a stick that works with that, i also need to have quick hands so the stick has to be light.

I understand it's all preference but just looking for tips.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:21 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
umm... I have a great slapper so a stick that works with that, i also need to have quick hands so the stick has to be light.

I understand it's all preference but just looking for tips.
looking more for height, weight, spending limit

Old
11-05-2012, 08:34 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
looking more for height, weight, spending limit
5'9", 175 lbs, willing to spend 150-300 (US dollars)

Old
11-05-2012, 09:19 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
you say you have a good slapshot, but would you say you take a lot of slappers or more wristers/snappers?
i agree with hyster that it always boils down to personal preference, but if you're more of a slapshot guy, you may want to lean more towards a mid kick type of stick. as a bit of a primer, in case you aren't aware, sticks are generally engineered to kick either midway up the shaft or down low towards where the shaft tapers into the blade. and there's the niche category of shafts that flex wherever the lower hand is(ccm rbz and to a degree, bauer nexus). In my observation, players who seem to favor midkick sticks seem to generally like the feeling of the shaft loading. others don't like that feeling and perceive it as "lag". those types of players generally just like the puck to come off quick without feeling or perceiving that loading sensation which is where low kick sticks come into play and which "feel" stiffer flex for flex compared to midkick sticks. again, these are just generalizations.

specs(flex and curve) truly boil down to personal preference. do you flatter or deeper curves? do yo prefer heel, mid or toe curves? do you prefer something closed or open?

some good options in the midkick category would be bauer nexus and totalone(on sale now)/t1 nxg, ccm rbz, reebok ai9 and miken zl.

bottomline: it all boils down to trial and error.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:20 PM
AIREAYE

If you don't know your preferences, there cannot be a 'best' stick until you know exactly what you're looking for. We can't really help you except perhaps recommending a few to pick up first and try. It's so personal like hyster said.

I suggest reading Jarick's guide up top before coming back and asking.

edit: thedonger makes a good point

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Did you like how the stick felt while shooting?

You say you didn't like the curve, can you elaborate on that? Which curve did you use?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Suddenly7

As many have said I don't think there is a great defensive stick out there. It's all a matter of preference. I personally use a Bauer stick for the reason it usually hold up pretty well and I rarely break them. I take couple sticks with me when I play. My defensive sticks are usually have a bit more length than the ones I use for offense.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:01 AM
DohBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Did you like how the stick felt while shooting?

You say you didn't like the curve, can you elaborate on that? Which curve did you use?
I don't know the terms very well, but it is very flat, the flattest on my team, if that means anything.

I've been looking around, and it seems a 4-5 lie would work well with me (even though I've read most defensemen prefer higher lies), what sticks use a 4-5 lie? ... It's hard to search for these things.

Last edited by DohBruins: 11-06-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
hyster110

lie is all personal preference. it sounds like you use a zetterbueg (P4) like curve. if you want to try something less flat, may i suggest the Hall (P5) curve. it will take a bit to get used to shooting with it but it may be what your looking for

Old
11-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We're getting closer!

Sounds like you could use some curve to your stick. I am guessing you had a Zetterberg (PM9) curve.

Did you like how the Easton shot? I mean how it kicked and all? Did you like how the blade felt catching passes or stickhandling?

Old
11-06-2012, 10:45 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

As some others have said it is all about personal preference however if I was going to suggest something to based on the information above I'd say a good choice for you would be a Bauer Total One with a Kane curve (P88) if you can find it in your preferred flex. I found it to be a great stick for slappers and wristers that you have time to load up on, which the D normally has time to do. It is also very light and durable. And finally they are on clearance now b/c of the release of the NXG.

Here is a link to Total Hockey's RedTag page that has a few Bauer Total One's on it. No Kane curves left though, but I'm sure you can find something similar by looking at Bauer's Blade chart. http://redtag.totalhockey.com/search...id=16&mfg_id=3

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:57 AM
DohBruins

Quote:
We're getting closer!

Sounds like you could use some curve to your stick. I am guessing you had a Zetterberg (PM9) curve.

Did you like how the Easton shot? I mean how it kicked and all? Did you like how the blade felt catching passes or stickhandling?
Not at all, it felt like the puck would always slide off the stick, when i was stick handling the puck would slide down the blade, towards my feet. A lot of the times when i shot the puck would slide off my blade, which made most shots inaccurate. One thing I noticed right away was that i couldn't stick handle close to my body.

Also it felt like the stick was too high when shooting so I had to adjust to shooting farther away from my body. I just figured out that it's probably attributed the lie, I compared it with my old sticks, which I had no problems with, and it looks like I had a much higher lie on the Easton.

Also I checked and it is the Zetterberg

Old
11-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I meant how the actual stick itself felt when you shot. Did it feel like it was too stiff? Too soft? Like it was going to break? Did shots feel powerful or weak? Quick release or was there a lag in your shot?

It sounds like the lie was too low for you if it felt like you couldn't stickhandle close to the body and like the puck was too far away.

Do you like curves that are more open or closed? Or do you need help raising the puck or keeping it low?

Old
11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
DohBruins

Quote:
I meant how the actual stick itself felt when you shot. Did it feel like it was too stiff? Too soft? Like it was going to break? Did shots feel powerful or weak? Quick release or was there a lag in your shot?

It sounds like the lie was too low for you if it felt like you couldn't stickhandle close to the body and like the puck was too far away.

Do you like curves that are more open or closed? Or do you need help raising the puck or keeping it low?
Ya definitely too stiff, and I need to shoot the puck higher usually.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would check out the Bauer Nexus 1000 intermediate in a P92 with 67 flex. It's got a whippy feel to it, blade is more curved and open and has a higher lie, should suit you pretty well. Bauer Total One wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
I would check out the Bauer Nexus 1000 intermediate in a P92 with 67 flex. It's got a whippy feel to it, blade is more curved and open and has a higher lie, should suit you pretty well. Bauer Total One wouldn't be a bad choice either.
Thanks a lot for you help! I'll check it out.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:16 PM
TieClark

If you like taking slap shots I'd look at the total one line... it has a nice mid kick point to it which is good for slap shots more so than wrist/snap shots

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote