HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 01:29 PM
kitchen44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Are you still in the 18-25 range where you have planned getting drunk parties?

If getting drunk is your thing then you can do it easily with just a few solid big beers. In the end it's less calories for you and less adjuncts going into your body. On top of that the hangover isn't as bad either when you just get drunk off of barley surgars instead of adjunct sugars.

Haha don't believe in expensive beer. So then you don't believe in beer at all.
I don't get what your trying to say, are you trying to say that I don't like drinking beer? I enjoy drinking beer, and I can enjoy drinking it more often when I pay 12$ for a 6er instead of 22$ for a 6er. If you told people In the U.S. that you pay that much for beer they wouldn't even believe you.

I am not saying I don't enjoy more expensive beer, because I do but if I am going to spend more money it will be for an innis and gunn, a case of sleemens or something like that.

After a long day of work a lucky starts to tastes like champagne anyway so whats the point of wasting your money.

If you came and worked a day with me I can guarantee that if I offered you a pilsner at the end of the shift you would drink it with a smile on your face.

Anyways I am sorry that the fact that I enjoy drinking beer more than paying for it has offended you in some weird way.

anyways, cheers boys! (except you Reimer)

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:48 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
I meant to post in this thread a few weeks ago. Friend of mine sent me a couple of cases of Westvleteren 12 (all the beer made it, but 2 of the 4 glasses unfortunately didn't survive - I drank to their memory)

So yeah - that **** is f'in great. Could very well be the best beer I ever had. Most definitely top 5. I started with an Orval just to get my taste buds warmed up (there is no funner beer to pop open with your lighter than an Orval - cap flies straight across the room with a loud POP every time, and scares the crap out of anyone within 20 feet!)

After 1 Orval and 3 Westvleteren 12, I must say I had a pretty good buzz going. I really wanted to crack open the other 6, but figured I'd save them for a year or so. That was a few weeks ago, and they keep teasing me every time I walk by them...don't know that they'll make it past the holidays.

It's a lot of money for beer, but like a few posters above said, would rather have one of those than 6 Bud/Coors/Molson/Whatever. Very easily at that.
Glad to see someone else enjoying Westy's here. I find so many people put them down for being overrated and such, but regardless I think you'd be hard pressed to say it's not one of the best beers in the world. Not going to ***** about people saying it's not the best, that's a matter of opinion, but if you don't think it's at least one of the best then I don't think you're giving it a fair shot.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Glad to see someone else enjoying Westy's here. I find so many people put them down for being overrated and such, but regardless I think you'd be hard pressed to say it's not one of the best beers in the world. Not going to ***** about people saying it's not the best, that's a matter of opinion, but if you don't think it's at least one of the best then I don't think you're giving it a fair shot.
Yeah every aspect of that beer is fantastic and the alcohol is hidden so well for being 10.3%.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah every aspect of that beer is fantastic and the alcohol is hidden so well for being 10.3%.
I just spent 2 weeks in Belgium and man, the beer is fantastic. I tried every type of Trappist too, and while the Rocheforts are one hell of a beer, nothing quite touches the Westvleteren.

I'm trying to get my friend in the States to ship me some beer... Really want to try some beers by Stone, Firestone Walker, New Belgium, Founders, Three Floyds, Dogfish Head, etc.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
I don't get what your trying to say, are you trying to say that I don't like drinking beer? I enjoy drinking beer, and I can enjoy drinking it more often when I pay 12$ for a 6er instead of 22$ for a 6er. If you told people In the U.S. that you pay that much for beer they wouldn't even believe you.

I am not saying I don't enjoy more expensive beer, because I do but if I am going to spend more money it will be for an innis and gunn, a case of sleemens or something like that.

After a long day of work a lucky starts to tastes like champagne anyway so whats the point of wasting your money.

If you came and worked a day with me I can guarantee that if I offered you a pilsner at the end of the shift you would drink it with a smile on your face.

Anyways I am sorry that the fact that I enjoy drinking beer more than paying for it has offended you in some weird way.

anyways, cheers boys! (except you Reimer)
First of all I don't know many 6 packs that cost $22 and 2nd of all is you consider $12 for a 6 pack to be a good price then you have plenty of options. But your previous posts were suggesting that you rather grab a 6 of lucky and pilsner($6-$8) over anything in the $12 range. Regardless quality over quantity when it comes to beer. Like cfrancis said life is too short to waste it on crap beer.

If you're going to kick back after a tough day of work there is no point in being rude to your taste buds and drinking a pilsner or a coors. Go out and grab a mill street stock ale and enjoy a simple beer that's made via the beer law purity rather than something with a bunch of adjuncts.

I mean it's cheaper to go to McDonalds instead of buying ground beef and making your own burger. But there's no denying what's better.

Also I don't know if most people realize why macro breweries exist today.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Lacaar

Is it true that they drink beer warm in Europe? Or is it a myth?

Perhaps certain countries etc.

To me a cold beer is a good beer.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
kitchen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post

No its true, I worked with an Austrian guy who literally wouldn't touch a cold beer. Apparently all you taste is the cold not the beer

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

A quality beer will taste much better warmer. Has a lot more flavor. A **** beer needs to be cold in order to be drinkable. I hate have to explain to my macro beer drinking friends that cold is not a flavor.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:

Warm? No - that is not true. I've been to every country in Western Europe and most in Eastern Europe, have had beer in every single one, and have never had a warm beer.

That being said - a lot of beers do taste better at room temperature, or at least a little warmer than fridge temperature.

And like Reimer said - cold is not a flavor.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I'm Portuguese, its cold ... for sure. Sagres baby.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
I'm Portuguese, its cold ... for sure. Sagres baby.
Super bock is great and always cold.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
My roommate and I opened this when Obama won:

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Super bock is great and always cold.
I like Sagres a bit more, and it easier to get 8)

Old
11-07-2012, 08:47 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Jesus dude. 1 Orval and 3 Westys. I'd be on the floor and my palate would be destroyed for a month.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:51 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

if you're ever in Minnesota, make sure you get some Surly. Fantastic beer all around with some outstanding seasonals like Darkness and Wet.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:52 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

sorry i lost the ability to edit---apologies--just read the HF Beer thread on the first page w/out realizing this was on the Oilers board. Sorry! didn't meant to jump into a team thread.
Still, check out Surly if you can.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:55 AM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:

I just spent 2 months between Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic and Austria and didn't have a single warm beer.

Closest I could even say is that I was drinking a Rochefort 8 in Bruges and the bartender told me to take a few drinks and then wrap my hands around the glass for 5 minutes to warm the beer and see that it tasted differently.

So I'd definitely say it's a myth.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Jesus dude. 1 Orval and 3 Westys. I'd be on the floor and my palate would be destroyed for a month.
It was actually 2.5 Westys - I paid for a 6 pack, and my buddy send me an extra 6 pack for as a thank you for something I had done for him, except he wanted to keep one - so I got 11 beers. So me and my friend split the 5.

But yeah - kinda crazy to be buzzed like that in less than 4 delicious beers.

I think I might space out the next ones - maybe just 2

Old
11-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
I like Sagres a bit more, and it easier to get 8)
Super Bock hard to get? Unless things have changed in the last few years (I was in Portugal 4 years ago), Super Bock was EVERYWHERE.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Patch101

Quote:
Super Bock hard to get? Unless things have changed in the last few years (I was in Portugal 4 years ago), Super Bock was EVERYWHERE.
No, I mean here ... in Canada 8)

Old
11-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
sorry i lost the ability to edit---apologies--just read the HF Beer thread on the first page w/out realizing this was on the Oilers board. Sorry! didn't meant to jump into a team thread.
Still, check out Surly if you can.
Doesn't matter where you are from, all beer talk is applicable.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
No, I mean here ... in Canada 8)
Doh. Sorry - wasn't trying to be a jackass. I honestly thought you meant in Portugal, which I thought was crazy. In that case, definitely - I've never seen it anywhere around here.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Cold might notebook a flavour but it is palatable in a refreshing sense. I like my beer cool or cold and enjoyed as a refreshment. I can see how some guys take it it to the next level and prefer some heavier beers warm as they are border line carbonated wines with lots of complexion and aromatics.... I've tasted hundreds of beers throughout Western Europe but never had one served warm. Not that I wouldn't accept one if it was offered to me but I can't honestly say even after all the historical venues I've visited and well aged gentleman that offered their historical compliments through their favourite beverage, none were warm.

Anyone here had a Trappist Trippel before?

Last edited by Grod: 11-07-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:11 PM
CHfan1

Does anyone know if someone carries Russian River Pliny the Elder in the Edmonton area? Best IPA I've ever had.

CHfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:44 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan1 View Post
Does anyone know if someone carries Russian River Pliny the Elder in the Edmonton area? Best IPA I've ever had.
Nope. Pretty much only in Cali.