HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly

Old
11-06-2012, 09:49 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 114
Ryan O'Reilly

Why isn't this kid playing during the lockout? He's still only 21 years old and is definitely considered a developing player. In order to develop, he needs to PLAY.

I don't see why he wouldn't be spending his time during the lockout developing his game with a team somewhere, not coaching minor hockey in Ontario, which is what I believe he's doing.

He took huge steps in his game last season and knowing how hard he works, I'm pretty shocked that he's not wanting to be putting himself in game situations to continue his growth like many of his teammates.

Anyone else share these concerns?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 500
Clearly, he's mad about Landy getting chosen over him and he's become lazy. The avs young players either get concussed or become lazy. So much for drafting players with character... Stupid Pracey.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Why isn't this kid playing during the lockout?
It's too risky to play when you don't have a multi year contract signed. Every good agent knows this.

Jeff_Dyck_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Not concerned in the least.

First, I bet the fact that he has no contract is a big concern for him if he were to play overseas or even locally. A serious injury could potentially harm his earning potential on his next deal.

Second, he's such a dedicated individual that I'm sure whatever workout routine he has developed is easily keeping him in top condition if not improving his physical compete level.

Lastly, don't knock coaching. Being able to teach others is often thought of as the true test of ones ability to be able to perform a task at a high level.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Ceremony
Unravelled

vCash: 50
I think the contract point made above is it. Makes sense.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:39 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post
It's too risky to play when you don't have a multi year contract signed. Every good agent knows this.
This makes sense.

If he were to get injured playing somewhere else right now it could hurt his contract value.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post
Yeah, I guess that makes some sense.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

He is probably still conditioning like mad and I would bet he's been working on his shot too.

Just because he isn't playing doesn't mean he isn't still developing.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Freaky Styley

Just going to echo a few statements already made. The contract issue is probably the main reason he hasn't joined a team because I can't really see him wanting to sit out a whole year. Knowing him, he is still working out and not eating burgers all day, and I'm sure he's getting ice time in now and then too. If there is one player we shouldn't be concerned about it's him.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:48 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskogien View Post
He is probably still conditioning like mad and I would bet he's been working on his shot too.

Just because he isn't playing doesn't mean he isn't still developing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Just going to echo a few statements already made. The contract issue is probably the main reason he hasn't joined a team because I can't really see him wanting to sit out a whole year. Knowing him, he is still working out and not eating burgers all day, and I'm sure he's getting ice time in now and then too. If there is one player we shouldn't be concerned about it's him.
My point was just that the best (and arguably only) way to truly improve as a hockey player is to play. Conditioning and working on stickhandling/skating is all well and good, but young players develop their game's by simply being on the ice in key situations and gaining experience.

The contract issue is the only thing that should be holding him back at this point and frankly, the Avalanche should have had the foresight to see that in order for him to continue developing properly he would need to be playing during the lockout. Hence, they should have got a deal done, even if they broke down and overpaid him in the slightest to ensure it got done.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
My point was just that the best (and arguably only) way to truly improve as a hockey player is to play. Conditioning and working on stickhandling/skating is all well and good, but young players develop their game's by simply being on the ice in key situations and gaining experience.

The contract issue is the only thing that should be holding him back at this point and frankly, the Avalanche should have had the foresight to see that in order for him to continue developing properly he would need to be playing during the lockout. Hence, they should have got a deal done, even if they broke down and overpaid him in the slightest to ensure it got done.
The Avs weren't going to overpay him just in case there was a lockout, so that he could go and play for another team. I think you are getting too concerned about this. Would playing meaningful games be more beneficial? Sure. But this is Ryan O'Reilly we are talking about.. just because he might miss a 1/2 year or full year of hockey at age 21 doesn't mean his development will slow or stop, I expect no change with a player like him, except that he might be a little more rusty when the year starts. If it was Matt Duchene or someone like that missing a year of development, it would be a little more concerning. O'Reilly will be fine.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

yeah, I wish he was playing too, but there isn't a player on the roster I'm less worried about than ROR

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:51 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
The Avs weren't going to overpay him just in case there was a lockout, so that he could go and play for another team. I think you are getting too concerned about this. Would playing meaningful games be more beneficial? Sure. But this is Ryan O'Reilly we are talking about.. just because he might miss a 1/2 year or full year of hockey at age 21 doesn't mean his development will slow or stop, I expect no change with a player like him, except that he might be a little more rusty when the year starts. If it was Matt Duchene or someone like that missing a year of development, it would be a little more concerning. O'Reilly will be fine.
Yeah, I'm definitely more concerned about this than I should be. I just think that given how important he is to this team, that 'rust' could end up hurting us a ton in the end. If we/he get off to a slow start if the lockout ends, it could end up costing us a playoff spot.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:52 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely more concerned about this than I should be. I just think that given how important he is to this team, that 'rust' could end up hurting us a ton in the end. If we/he get off to a slow start if the lockout ends, it could end up costing us a playoff spot.
if Ryan O'Rielly, who should be around the 6-7th most important player on the team, costs the Avs a playoff spot the team will have much more important issues on hand

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:13 AM
HockeyFan100
#FreeRedmond

I wonder if the Avs will even re-sign him. You'd think they would have done it by now. They probably will but... Just a thought.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

A weekend so or go he was having a few beers with Hishon. Lazy players
Anyways I'm sure he's more then ready for the season to start, I can see him being the first one at the rink or training camp or whatever in Colorado ready to play hockey. The way he was so hard on himself last season he should take some time to take a step back and be like yes its ok to be disappointed in myself but I can't dwell on it. Last year he seemed to be way too disappointed in himself and that can be dangerous. I'm not saying he should just go out and be like oh I made a mistake or played badly but its ok. What I'm saying is he should just get over his disappointed quicker and use it to better his game.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
I wonder if the Avs will even re-sign him. You'd think they would have done it by now. They probably will but... Just a thought.
They can't re-sign him during an on going lockout/CBA negotiation. No point now seeing as whatever the contract they sign him to now, if their even allowed, could be nullified by the CBA. Subban still doesn't have a contract but thats not a problem for the Habs cause both him and O'Reilly are RFA's so there's no worries. Maybe you should go to Colorado and take advantage of their new law.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

No point risking injury when you don't have a contract (yes yes he will be signed)

Qurpiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Hockeygirl81

I actually saw O'Reilly like a week and a half ago lol I just came on this board to post about Sakic but now I see this thread too...He had the training shorts on and everything when I saw him (it's freezing cold up here right now) and looked like he had just come from a workout...he's definitely not eating burgers and nixing a training routine. He still looks just as built as ever I think. I kinda was kicking myself for not asking him for an autograph after I saw him but I imagine those guys probably don't like to be bothered everywhere.

Hockeygirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl81 View Post
I actually saw O'Reilly like a week and a half ago lol I just came on this board to post about Sakic but now I see this thread too...He had the training shorts on and everything when I saw him (it's freezing cold up here right now) and looked like he had just come from a workout...he's definitely not eating burgers and nixing a training routine. He still looks just as built as ever I think. I kinda was kicking myself for not asking him for an autograph after I saw him but I imagine those guys probably don't like to be bothered everywhere.
thanks for the update

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote