HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - Waiting on the World to Change (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2012, 01:54 PM
  #901
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL...so basically TO has to offer the moon, or you'll give him to FLA? Well, i guess FLA has themselves a new goalie then.

OR...i could say, Bozak,Frattin and a 2nd. If you would prefer to take a salary dump from FLA then by all means...deal him to FLA.
Where are you getting that Florida is only interested for a cap dump? Do they even have a cap dump?

I've heard no to Bjugstad (makes sense) but I hadn't heard just for a cap dump.

Scurr is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
  #902
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL, the point to my post was, if Bozak,Frattin and a 2nd is the best offer on the table....?
Then he goes to Florida for Matthais, B prospect, 2nd. Like I said, if we're going to get hosed, it's going to be by Florida.

Scurr is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
  #903
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL, the point to my post was, if Bozak,Frattin and a 2nd is the best offer on the table....?
Then I would hold on to Luongo until someone ups their offer. No sense dumping an elite goalie like Luongo for trash.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
  #904
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Where are you getting that Florida is only interested for a cap dump? Do they even have a cap dump?

I've heard no to Bjugstad (makes sense) but I hadn't heard just for a cap dump.
In one of the Bond theme threads, a FLA fan posted a Tallon interview basically saying that if a long term contract was taken on (ie: Luongo) that he would only be interested in moving salary back.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:00 PM
  #905
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Then he goes to Florida for Matthais, B prospect, 2nd. Like I said, if we're going to get hosed, it's going to be by Florida.
Fair enough.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:03 PM
  #906
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Then I would hold on to Luongo until someone ups their offer. No sense dumping an elite goalie like Luongo for trash.
I have a feeling you will need to wait. Not being a knob, i just don't see any of the rumoured teams can afford what you feel is fair. If you think Luongo playing 30-40 games is worth more to the Canucks than a pakage like i put forward, i completely get it.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:05 PM
  #907
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
In one of the Bond theme threads, a FLA fan posted a Tallon interview basically saying that if a long term contract was taken on (ie: Luongo) that he would only be interested in moving salary back.
Every team is going to want salary coming back our way, that isn't the same as a cap dump.

Scurr is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  #908
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,486
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Really?? DONE!!!
I meant 2 of Kadri/Finn/1st/Colborne

With a 3rd piece of Connolly/Bozak.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:09 PM
  #909
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Every team is going to want salary coming back our way, that isn't the same as a cap dump.
I'm trying to find the link, (but i am a computer tool), as i recall it pretty much said salary dump as they were happy with what they had and didn't need to pay big for a piece they really didn't need.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:10 PM
  #910
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I meant 2 of Kadri/Finn/1st/Colborne

With a 3rd piece of Connolly/Bozak.
I know, i was just foolin'.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:20 PM
  #911
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I meant 2 of Kadri/Finn/1st/Colborne

With a 3rd piece of Connolly/Bozak.
Even that wouldn't make me happy. Still poor value.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
  #912
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,486
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Even that wouldn't make me happy. Still poor value.
The value is fine, it just doesn't fit our needs, but no interested team can afford to fit our needs. We may as well take value where we can get it and try to flip it for something we can use at the deadline.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  #913
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The value is fine, it just doesn't fit our needs, but no interested team can afford to fit our needs. We may as well take value where we can get it and try to flip it for something we can use at the deadline.
And this is the point i have been trying to make. It is virtually impossible for a bottom 5 team to address the needs of the NHL's best regular season team.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:38 PM
  #914
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The value is fine, it just doesn't fit our needs, but no interested team can afford to fit our needs. We may as well take value where we can get it and try to flip it for something we can use at the deadline.
No the value really isn't fine. Say all we end up with is Joe Colborne, Nazem Kadri, and Tim Connolly. Essentially it's a questionable prospect who could end up as a 3rd liner (ceiling is probably as a 2nd liner, but he's looked no better than Jordan Schroeder), a boom or bust prospect who's looked really bad this year, and a cap dump. That's not "fine" value for an elite goalie like Roberto Luongo. Where's the impact?

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:41 PM
  #915
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,486
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
No the value really isn't fine. Say all we end up with is Joe Colborne, Nazem Kadri, and Tim Connolly. Essentially it's a questionable prospect who could end up as a 3rd liner (ceiling is probably as a 2nd liner, but he's looked no better than Jordan Schroeder), a boom or bust prospect who's looked really bad this year, and a cap dump. That's not "fine" value for an elite goalie like Roberto Luongo. Where's the impact?
I don't see Kadri as a bust. He has some high end talent, and would make an ideal playmaker for our lineup. All of those pieces have reasonably high ceilings, and if we can also get a serviceable 3C, then I would be satisfied.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:44 PM
  #916
JanBulisPiggyBack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 398
vCash: 500
I think a lot of people dismiss Connolly's value, he would be a welcome addition to the team personally like him, I get he takes up more cap space than he is currently producing, injuries have totally sidelined his career. Maybe not the targeted return but definety a welcome piece

JanBulisPiggyBack is online now  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:48 PM
  #917
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't see Kadri as a bust. He has some high end talent, and would make an ideal playmaker for our lineup. All of those pieces have reasonably high ceilings, and if we can also get a serviceable 3C, then I would be satisfied.
I don't see Colborne as having a higher ceiling than Schroeder or Gaunce. In fact, I think as more and more time passes Colborne is looking like he'll be nothing more than a bottom 6er.

Do you seriously think Kadri would be successful here? With how much of a stickler AV is for strong 2-way play, you think this is the right environment for Kadri to come in, knowing full well the crap he put up with in Toronto? He would likely last one season here before being waived, or dumped in a subsequent trade.

A cap dump should not be a key piece of a trade coming back to us.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
  #918
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
And this is the point i have been trying to make. It is virtually impossible for a bottom 5 team to address the needs of the NHL's best regular season team.
But the thing is that if it isn't meeting our needs it should involve a player that brings interest, some sort of an upgrade or a good draft pick & not just what your team can give up.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:54 PM
  #919
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
But the thing is that if it isn't meeting our needs it should involve a player that brings interest, some sort of an upgrade or a good draft pick & not just what your team can give up.
From the Canucks standpoint you are absolutely correct. From the Leafs standpoint it IS down to what we can give up. It doesn't matter what Gillis feels Luongo's value is, Burke will only pay so much. There is nothing written that says Burke must trade for Luongo no matter what. So, i'll ask again, what happens IF Burke's offer is best...do you sell lower?? Do you keep Luongo?

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:55 PM
  #920
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Luongo has the ability to turn a bottom 5 team into a playoff team. That's how much the goalie position matters. If Toronto has Roberto Luongo in net last year, they don't collapse and likely make the playoffs.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 02:59 PM
  #921
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo has the ability to turn a bottom 5 team into a playoff team. That's how much the goalie position matters. If Toronto has Roberto Luongo in net last year, they don't collapse and likely make the playoffs.
Except (if Botch is correct) we wouldn't have our #1C (Bozak), so who knows if Kessel/Lupul have PPG seasons.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 03:01 PM
  #922
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Except (if Botch is correct) we wouldn't have our #1C (Bozak), so who knows if Kessel/Lupul have PPG seasons.
Keep your #1C then. He's garbage.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 03:02 PM
  #923
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Keep your #1C then. He's garbage.
No problem.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 03:03 PM
  #924
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
From the Canucks standpoint you are absolutely correct. From the Leafs standpoint it IS down to what we can give up. It doesn't matter what Gillis feels Luongo's value is, Burke will only pay so much. There is nothing written that says Burke must trade for Luongo no matter what. So, i'll ask again, what happens IF Burke's offer is best...do you sell lower?? Do you keep Luongo?
Well if thats all you can give up & all you've continued to offer up & you hear the other side come back with no's consistently & it won't change why come back? (not you coming on our boards but if you were a GM)

If you are the one who is coming back then you are the real one in need. We can keep him until we get a better offer from someone else or until you get desperate & up your offer.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 03:03 PM
  #925
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'm trying to find the link, (but i am a computer tool), as i recall it pretty much said salary dump as they were happy with what they had and didn't need to pay big for a piece they really didn't need.
I'm sure some of their fans feel that way. IMO Florida really needs to build on last seasons success more than people think. I know they have a lot of young pieces to look forward to but they also need to build some momentum in that market. While I'm sure the owner can appreciate building through young players, I'm also sure he doesn't want to lose 30m+ over the next three seasons while waiting for these young guys. The reason Florida hasn't built any momentum is because every good season they've had has been a one off.

People keep acting like GM's don't even have to try and win. Since when can a GM wait around for these prospects to get good? Tallon drafted and developed a lot of those Blackhawks but was already gone when they won. Who drafted Corsby and Malkin? Were they around to see them win?

Scurr is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.