HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Why isn't Lorne Chabot In The Hall Of Fame?

Old
11-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Scott1980

vCash: 500
Why isn't Lorne Chabot In The Hall Of Fame?

This guy was consistently among the top 10 (and in many cases, top 5) in games played, wins, ties, gaa, minutes and shutouts. He even graced the cover of Time magazine!

Why isn't he in?

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
thom

I agree with Lorne but another one is Roggy Vachon who some say should be in.In 1976 Canada Cup he had 1.33 gaa.He was a star goalie for the kings his forward were not that defensive.Pronovost of the habs is another some say he was better than Gainey.

thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 09:58 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1980 View Post
This guy was consistently among the top 10 (and in many cases, top 5) in games played, wins, ties, gaa, minutes and shutouts. He even graced the cover of Time magazine!

Why isn't he in?
Considering how many teams there were back then, and the fact that was not really any kind of rotation system, being in the Top-10 was nothing special. But, yeah, I mean, is he that apart from Alec Connell?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:31 AM
tony d
The Future

Very surprised that this guy is not in the Hall. Chabot is a name you always read about as a really good goalie.

11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Was a 1st Team All Star once against pretty poor competition: 1934-35, the year after Charlie Gardiner died, and was never close to an All Star again.

I think a better question would be, "why should Lorne Chabot be inducted into the HHOF?" What makes him a better candidate than Dave Kerr, for example?

Here's a fairly recent thread:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=937755

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

He never played after 1980, therefore this generation of fans doesn't know who he is.

And if nobody knows who he is, he couldn't possibly have been any good.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
He never played after 1980, therefore this generation of fans doesn't know who he is.

And if nobody knows who he is, he couldn't possibly have been any good.
So make the case for Chabot to be in the HHOF, then. That's the logical conclusion to your rant about "this generation", isn't it?

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:27 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Chabot was born in 1900.

These are goalies born within 5 years of Chabot who are inducted into the HHOF:

Alec Connell: 1902
George Hainsworth: 1895
Tiny Thompson: 1905
Roy Worters: 1900
Charlie Gardiner: 1904

Seems like Chabot's generation is pretty well recognized already

I'm not even sure Chabot is the best of his generation not to be enshrined. John Ross Roach was born in 1900, too.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:55 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1980 View Post

Why isn't he in?
When there are only 8-10 teams in the league, being in the top 10 for a given stat is hardly impressive is it.

CpatainCanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
When there are only 8-10 teams in the league, being in the top 10 for a given stat is hardly impressive is it.
Well, it's still the elite he competed against. It's about the same as if someone today would finish in the top ten for several years, although it might be harder today. Either way, one AST1 is not enough, today or back then.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think a better question would be, "why should Lorne Chabot be inducted into the HHOF?" What makes him a better candidate than Dave Kerr, for example?
Indeed. That should always be the question. If you think he deserves it, make the case. The burden of proof (so to speak) is on the one making the claim.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Well, it's still the elite he competed against. It's about the same as if someone today would finish in the top ten for several years, although it might be harder today. Either way, one AST1 is not enough, today or back then.
To be fair, there were no official All-Star teams for the first four seasons of Chabot's career, although it's very unlikely he would have earned an All-Star nod in those seasons.

You'd also have to consider his four seasons of high-level senior hockey in the 1920s as well. But I've done a lot of work in this era and I can't see Chabot being at a high enough level to deserve the Hall of Fame.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Indeed. That should always be the question. If you think he deserves it, make the case. The burden of proof (so to speak) is on the one making the claim.
The case for Chabot would probably start with the lowest GAA in the playoff for a career (1.53). GAA of 2.03 in regular season is 4th all-time. 71 shutouts is 11th all-time and everyone ahead of him played more than his 412 games.

That's probably a good start.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Theres actually a Blog that was setup by one of his Grandchildren that
makes a case for his induction along with a Petition you can e-sign.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
The case for Chabot would probably start with the lowest GAA in the playoff for a career (1.53). GAA of 2.03 in regular season is 4th all-time. 71 shutouts is 11th all-time and everyone ahead of him played more than his 412 games.
I'll take a wild stab and guess that the top of the career playoff GAA leaderboard is largely populated by Chabot and his contemporaries.

Yep, just checked and six of the top eight all-time (minimum 25 games) are Chabot and his contemporaries Kerr, Benedict, Thompson, Roach and Hainsworth. This is not a coincidence. These same six are also all in the top 22 in career shutouts.

So making a case for Chabot based on raw numbers will be difficult, since all good goalies from his era posted superficially impressive numbers (to modern eyes).

Old
11-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
I'll take a wild stab and guess that the top of the career playoff GAA leaderboard is largely populated by Chabot and his contemporaries.

Yep, just checked and six of the top eight all-time (minimum 25 games) are Chabot and his contemporaries Kerr, Benedict, Thompson, Roach and Hainsworth. This is not a coincidence. These same six are also all in the top 22 in career shutouts.

So making a case for Chabot based on raw numbers will be difficult, since all good goalies from his era posted superficially impressive numbers (to modern eyes).
I must say, I'm going to be hard pressed to make a case for the guy without using his numbers. Especially when having the very best GAA in the playoffs (and quite significantly the best) is going to get him zero props.

Considering many of his contemporaries are HOFers, I'm wondering how they got in with their superficially impressive numbers?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Canadiens1958

Start and Finish

Quote:

That's probably a good start.
Start and finish:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...chabolo01.html

Link to Lorne Chabot's stats:

Note the regular season numbers show a strong winning percentage BUT the playoffs with the leading GAA average show a sub 500 winning percentage.

Regardless of how good the numbers were there were goalies who were better than Chabot's best.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:40 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Considering many of his contemporaries are HOFers, I'm wondering how they got in with their superficially impressive numbers?
I guess that focuses the question a bit -- what did his HOF contemporaries do that Chabot couldn't match? Which isn't to assume that he couldn't indeed match them, but it's probably a nice short route to the heart of the matter.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
I must say, I'm going to be hard pressed to make a case for the guy without using his numbers. Especially when having the very best GAA in the playoffs (and quite significantly the best) is going to get him zero props.
Please note I said raw numbers. You need the context. The fact that his contemporaries dominate that particular leaderboard means that their low GAAs are heavily influenced by the era in which they played. So the raw numbers are not enough.

Please also note that I did not say it was worth nothing, just that presenting it as "best ever" is subject to some large chunks of salt.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Big Phil

I've never pushed for him to be in. Personally I'd like to see Vachon in before and in that case Barrasso. I get the feeling Vernon will be a lot like Chabot where as he'll never get in but later generations will wonder why. I've gone to bat for Vernon at different times but can certainly understand why he gets shafted as well.

Another thing with Chabot is that he never got a single Hart vote in his life. I know Gerry Cheevers likely didn't either, but we can all agree Cheevers is weak. Let's also not forget that this was an age when a goalie could win the Hart as well. It isn't as if they got shunned. Roy Worters won it in 1929.

There are other factors you have to consider as well. None of us saw hockey in the late 1920s and 1930s. So we base a lot of it on clippings and media reports and comparisons to their peers. Well, it's been almost 80 years since Chabot retired - 75 to be precise. When players started to get inducted there were many people around who saw Chabot play that were alive, and still covering the game. Year after year after year they passed him up. He was not among the backlog of players inducted. Even the weak veterans committee passed him up and they let in Edgar Laprade.

We see a player get passed up that deserves it (Oates, Gilmour) and we fight about it until they get in. Even if it takes a decade after they retired, they get in eventually because no one forgets them - for good reason. There has never been that fight to get Chabot in there and like another poster said he isn't the only one of his era that has those credentials. Dave Kerr would be at least as qualified as him and he isn't in there yet.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote