HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Savage happy to join HF Boards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2012, 01:31 PM
  #226
Moves Like Jagr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Just wanted to say welcome Brian! You were always one of my favourite players and you were a treat to watch. Many habs fans have questioned the effectiveness of Saku Koivu as a captain and was just curious as to your opinion on him as a captain. Was he more of a vocal guy or a lead on the ice kind of guy. Thanks a lot for answering everyone's questions.

Moves Like Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:37 PM
  #227
Rada1
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
The trade to St. Louis was the weirdest. I was in LA and it was trade deadline day. I was on the ice with the Coyotes for pre game skate when I was pulled off the ice and they said I was traded to the BLUES. Got changed and headed back to the hotel to gather my stuff and talk to Blues GM about the trade. I flew back to PHX grabbed some suits and flew out to St. Louis that night. I sort of knew that it was a loaner deal meaning I would be sent back to PHX at the end of the season. It was great to have the chance to play in the playoffs again but got beat out by San Jose in first round. I signed with the Flyers after the lockout because I thought they had a good chance of going deep in the playoffs with the roster they had. It was one of my the best years in hockey. Hitchcock was the coach and we had great players like Forsberg, Gagne, Hatcher and a found Richards and Carter. My role was different with them as they wanted me to be a checking forward against top lines. We had a super year but we lost out to the Sabres in the first round.


You hear a lot being said about Richards and Carter in Philly...were they party animals or did things get blown out of portion?

Rada1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
  #228
happyhab*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Hey Brian awesome to have you, a question about your kids, with all the experience you have playing as a pro, how much time do your kids spend practicing and at what level do they play out in phoenix

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:19 PM
  #229
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
No doubt about it , it was my first flight in the NHL. It was against the helmet less Craig Mactavish who was playing for the FLYERS at the time. I believe it was my 3rd game in the league after the lockout in 95. He ran Patrick Roy in the third period and I dropped my gloves not really knowing who it was. I had the Gordie Howe hat trick that game with a goal, assist and a fight and was named first start. It was Super Bowl Sunday and we had a party at Patricks later on that evening. I had both my eyes shut!!! The boys were proud of their young rookie that night!!! You can find it on you tube I believe.. I did ok for the first 10 seconds then got pumped!!!


BTW, your post count is now at 49

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
  #230
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,816
vCash: 500
Welcome Brian

I remember seeing you walking on St-Catherine in the neck brace! whatever happened to that gem?

But in all seriousness, thanks for taking the time. Havent been on here much since the lockout started. Thanks for getting me back on. Great stories.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:35 PM
  #231
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,071
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
The trade to St. Louis was the weirdest. I was in LA and it was trade deadline day. I was on the ice with the Coyotes for pre game skate when I was pulled off the ice and they said I was traded to the BLUES. Got changed and headed back to the hotel to gather my stuff and talk to Blues GM about the trade. I flew back to PHX grabbed some suits and flew out to St. Louis that night. I sort of knew that it was a loaner deal meaning I would be sent back to PHX at the end of the season. It was great to have the chance to play in the playoffs again but got beat out by San Jose in first round. I signed with the Flyers after the lockout because I thought they had a good chance of going deep in the playoffs with the roster they had. It was one of my the best years in hockey. Hitchcock was the coach and we had great players like Forsberg, Gagne, Hatcher and a found Richards and Carter. My role was different with them as they wanted me to be a checking forward against top lines. We had a super year but we lost out to the Sabres in the first round.
Hi Brian, I just wanted to ask how you liked your stay in Philly? Although it was short that team we had that year was very fun to watch, Forsberg was always one of my favorites ever and it was awesome to see him lace them up in the Orange and Black, you had Gagne in the prime of his career, young up and comers in Richards and Carter and vets like Hatcher, Desjardins, Primeau and Knuble. Did you enjoy the fanbase and the city?

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:38 PM
  #232
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,176
vCash: 500
Started to watch the Canadiens with you in the lineup. Thank you for giving me the passion of the game and the good memories.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:52 PM
  #233
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,835
vCash: 50
Welcome To HF Brian. I can still remenber being a young boy watching you play and the heart and determination you showed out there was simply amazing and I will never forget that.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:05 PM
  #234
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
No doubt about it , it was my first flight in the NHL. It was against the helmet less Craig Mactavish who was playing for the FLYERS at the time. I believe it was my 3rd game in the league after the lockout in 95. He ran Patrick Roy in the third period and I dropped my gloves not really knowing who it was. I had the Gordie Howe hat trick that game with a goal, assist and a fight and was named first start. It was Super Bowl Sunday and we had a party at Patricks later on that evening. I had both my eyes shut!!! The boys were proud of their young rookie that night!!! You can find it on you tube I believe.. I did ok for the first 10 seconds then got pumped!!!
Do you think you'll find your way into pro coaching like Craig did ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:16 PM
  #235
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,283
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The admins take care of that. You'll find out exactly what the process consists of if you ever need to be verified
Seriously, now I'm curious.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:36 PM
  #236
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
SavageBeast would have been a better username, but welcome aboard!

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
  #237
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Naoned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nantes, France
Country: France
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Welcome Brian, nice to have you on board.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:44 PM
  #238
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,033
vCash: 500
Cool to have you on board, can't wait for some crazy stories

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:01 PM
  #239
roy munson
Registered User
 
roy munson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Great addition and welcome Brian! So many great memories of your stay here.

2 questions :

1) Since he's a Duck, I always wondered if Saku still felt close to the city of Montreal? He seemed to love the city and the fans, but I always wondered... I just hope he KNOWS how much he was appreciated here.

2) Is it true people like you put their pants on one leg at a time? Like the rest of us?

Thanks

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:06 PM
  #240
A1
Set Sail For Fail
 
A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,379
vCash: 500
Clearly not Savage or this thread would've been created in October.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:15 PM
  #241
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Brian, welcome aboard.

In your best years in the Habs, like 95-96 or 97-98, how many players away from being a contender for the CUP?

In your opinion, what was missing?

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:35 PM
  #242
savey49
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Told ya!! First 10 seconds I looked like a heavyweight! Last 10 seconds like a rookie in first fight ever!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post


BTW, your post count is now at 49

savey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:36 PM
  #243
savey49
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Good one!! Someone beat you to the punch in earlier post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Clearly not Savage or this thread would've been created in October.

savey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:40 PM
  #244
savey49
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Saku loves Montreal and will always have a special place for the fans who supported him through his cancer battle. I will see him and his family this weekend Anaheim. My son has a tourney there over the weekend.

We the players are just like you. We just have been fortunate to play at the highest level and live out our dreams. Yes we put our pants and shirts on everyday like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Great addition and welcome Brian! So many great memories of your stay here.

2 questions :

1) Since he's a Duck, I always wondered if Saku still felt close to the city of Montreal? He seemed to love the city and the fans, but I always wondered... I just hope he KNOWS how much he was appreciated here.

2) Is it true people like you put their pants on one leg at a time? Like the rest of us?

Thanks

savey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:41 PM
  #245
LastRide
Registered User
 
LastRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Welcome to HF-Boards Brian. I won't bother asking any question since it looks like you have enough to answer already..LOL. I'm thinking maybe you should have snuck in undercover, but then we wouldn't get to read some of your great stories.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:45 PM
  #246
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,138
vCash: 500
Hey Brian! Welcome to the site. Loved watching you play for the Habs years ago.

Hope all is good with life in general.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:45 PM
  #247
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
What was it like to play with Patrick Traverse?



lol jk u don't have to answer that one.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:08 PM
  #248
savey49
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
No sure why you would hide or be undercover! It's your opinion on certain subjects. I have mine and you have yours. Doesn't mean we are right or wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Welcome to HF-Boards Brian. I won't bother asking any question since it looks like you have enough to answer already..LOL. I'm thinking maybe you should have snuck in undercover, but then we wouldn't get to read some of your great stories.

savey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:26 PM
  #249
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 400
Since you're being awesome and answering the ceaseless questions being posted...

Which current Hab would you most have enjoyed playing with during your NHL days? Whether it be because of complimentary styles on the ice or what you perceive as good character off of it.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
  #250
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
No sure why you would hide or be undercover! It's your opinion on certain subjects. I have mine and you have yours. Doesn't mean we are right or wrong.
That philosophy doesn't always apply around here.

Welcome to HF Boards.

Pretty nice of you to stop by.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.