HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2012 4.0

View Poll Results: Who would you rather?
Johnny Quick 38 40.86%
Henry Lundquist 55 59.14%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I don't really see how that is a problem, as you can always trade one away when he is ready.
We most likely will have to trade one away at some point for cap reasons (Plek at 5 M, DD nearing UFA and looking at 4 M+ probably, Galchenyuk has big cap hit since he was a high pick), before contemplating adding a Stastny. That's the issue with the proposal. It works in a sim league where it's mostly just trading assets, but in real life I don't think works because it means more complicated movement afterwards. Not too mention we gut our defence doing it.

Gorges also has a full NTC for this season and seems quite content with being a Hab.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:14 PM
blueberry

vCash: 500
I'd do that deal. Who cares about eller really. I like him but hes never gonna score enough to move into the top 2 lines. Gorges is a good player but not irreplaceable either and we're pretty deep in defense. We can deal with the glut of centers.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't think Paul Holmgren will work out in the nerdy way that I did, but he is one of the great GMs of our time. He's a sharp man. He did the Pronger trade which thus far has been mixed but was a brave gamble, he did the Carter and Richards trades, and he showed a lot of balls, smart balls, in going after Shea Weber the way he did.

A lot of teams that wheel and deal end up like Brian Burke's Toronto. Philadelphia, however, is one of the powerhouses of the eastern conference.
How can you call Holmgren a great GM? He is a pretty average GM IMHO. Phillie has had great scouting the last 10 years, look at their picks and non-drafted FA's. Holmgren has not shown an ability to make the necessary moves to get the team over the top. If anything he helped LA win a cup last year.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:36 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

What the?! Neither Plekanec, nor Stastny would be 3rd line centers if this fantasy trade were to actually go down. They are both clearly better than Desharnais and it's really not even debatable at this point. Stastny>Plekanec>Desharnais

Old
11-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Avs fan coming in peace. Just wondering what Habs fans thought of this proposal, as if Colorado ever did end up trading Stastny this is the type of return I'd want/expect.

To Habs:
Paul Stastny
Defensive dman (choice of Zanon, O'Brien, Wilson)

To Avs:
Lars Eller
Josh Gorges
Offensive prospect/pick (Bournival?) - a winger might be best, but I'm not too familiar with your wing prospects outside of Leblanc and Palushaj

Any constructive criticism would be helpful, especially on the prospect end and concerning your team needs
Out of curiosity, which Habs' player are you targeting? Eller? Gorges?

The reason for my question is that Gorges just signed a long term extension and I highly, highly doubt that the team has any intention of trading him. If it's Eller, maybe something else might be enticing instead of Gorges?

Old
11-06-2012, 10:59 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How can you call Holmgren a great GM? He is a pretty average GM IMHO. Phillie has had great scouting the last 10 years, look at their picks and non-drafted FA's. Holmgren has not shown an ability to make the necessary moves to get the team over the top.
The GM gets credit for having good scouts and good drafting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If anything he helped LA win a cup last year.
Just FYI Philadelphia never traded Jeff Carter to the Los Angeles Kings.

Also, sometimes both teams benefit from a trade. I think that may be the case for the Columbus trade with Los Angeles. CLB gets a 2013 1st rounder (MacKinnon???) and Jack Johnson, LA gets that extra firepower they needed to push for 8th place to win the cup.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Prairie Habs

Doesn't Stastny make make like 6.5M? It doesn't really make sense to bring in Stastny to compete with Plekanec and DD for top 6 ice time when the three of them combined will probably be around 15-16M. Eller may not be as good but he still has untapped potential and a great price tag. One of those three would definitely have to be moved to bring in Gal who will probably have the 3.8M hit. I don't think Stastny is enough of an upgrade over DD or Plekanec to justify moving Gorges.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Doesn't Stastny make make like 6.5M? It doesn't really make sense to bring in Stastny to compete with Plekanec and DD for top 6 ice time when the three of them combined will probably be around 15-16M. Eller may not be as good but he still has untapped potential and a great price tag. One of those three would definitely have to be moved to bring in Gal who will probably have the 3.8M hit. I don't think Stastny is enough of an upgrade over DD or Plekanec to justify moving Gorges.

I think DD would have to be moved as son as we got Stastny plus we'd almost certainly have to move other players out to create cap space.

However, at the end of the day you have to decide on the players you really want to have on your team and move the others out to make it happen.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:41 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
Stastny has lost it a bit, Eller hasn't quite hit his ceiling, and Gorges is a solid and well liked top 4 (in Mtl anyways). If you replaced Stastny with Duchesne, I would contemplate it.
If Duchesne replaced Stastny the difference in salary would only be $500,000.Then for Plekanec the deal would be fair,giving up the superior defensive abilities Tomas has the offence is a wash.The Habs gain a 2nd line center and about 6yrs. I haven't checked on that.But throwing in Gorges like a spare part I don't get.Not if I'm the GM that's bad business,he's like glue for the Habs team,so no Gorges.Then we're talking turkey.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If Duchesne replaced Stastny the difference in salary would only be $500,000.Then for Plekanec the deal would be fair,giving up the superior defensive abilities Tomas has the offence is a wash.The Habs gain a 2nd line center and about 6yrs. I haven't checked on that.But throwing in Gorges like a spare part I don't get.Not if I'm the GM that's bad business,he's like glue for the Habs team,so no Gorges.Then we're talking turkey.
It was an Avs fan asking about a trade involving Stastny + def. d-man for Eller and Gorges. I don't think he considered Gorges a throw-in, rather a core piece of the trade.

The more I think about it and even though I'd love to get Stastny on the Habs, the less workable the deal seems to me.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Detroit have 15 forward under contract + Abdelkader. They need to trade a forward to get a defenceman

Weber + Palushaj for Abdelkader
Abdelkader and a 3rd for Weber and Palushaj

Old
11-07-2012, 07:18 PM
pcamp

If we ever trade Plekanec or anyone to Chicago, I wish Danault will be included in the trade(secondary piece) . A line Hudon-Danault-Bournival would be an awesome 3rd line.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Avs fan coming in peace. Just wondering what Habs fans thought of this proposal, as if Colorado ever did end up trading Stastny this is the type of return I'd want/expect.

To Habs:
Paul Stastny

To Avs:
Lars Eller
Josh Gorges
Offensive prospect/pick (Bournival?) - a winger might be best, but I'm not too familiar with your wing prospects outside of Leblanc and Palushaj

Any constructive criticism would be helpful, especially on the prospect end and concerning your team needs
I don't like the trade at all! Stastny 6.6 million for 55 points? Eller is about to bloom into robust 40 point forward, signed next two years at 1.5 million. Gorges is solid, logs a ton of minutes and is signed long term and reasonable. Bournival is a decent prospect. This deal is way one-sided.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:16 AM
S Bah

Well I really hope the NHL has a season otherwise the Habs are going to get screwed out of a high draft pick,like last season when they drafted in third place behind Edm. & Columbus.The team hasn't made any big moves in playing staff,so I don't anticipate any difference in performance.Injuries played a part but not as big a part as most people think,the Habs are a young team and will get younger yet.Therein lies the reason I don't see the Habs as a playoff team and they need to restock the team with high-end talent from the draft.Too many years of picking players in the high teens than in the Top Ten at the Entry drafts since 1980,other than Carey Price in the 5th overall spot and finally Galchenyuk in the third overall spot last draft.Bergevin knows not to rush his youngsters into the NHL before they are ready and ruining them,so I expect the Habs to lose more than they win until we see prospects graduating from Hamilton to Montreal.Things are looking up finally the team is heading in the right direction.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Well I really hope the NHL has a season otherwise the Habs are going to get screwed out of a high draft pick,like last season when they drafted in third place behind Edm. & Columbus.The team hasn't made any big moves in playing staff,so I don't anticipate any difference in performance.Injuries played a part but not as big a part as most people think,the Habs are a young team and will get younger yet.Therein lies the reason I don't see the Habs as a playoff team and they need to restock the team with high-end talent from the draft.Too many years of picking players in the high teens than in the Top Ten at the Entry drafts since 1980,other than Carey Price in the 5th overall spot and finally Galchenyuk in the third overall spot last draft.Bergevin knows not to rush his youngsters into the NHL before they are ready and ruining them,so I expect the Habs to lose more than they win until we see prospects graduating from Hamilton to Montreal.Things are looking up finally the team is heading in the right direction.
How do you know....if no season total lottery draft?

Old
11-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
How do you know....if no season total lottery draft?
Its not a total lottery draft... Its based on how many times a team has made the playoffs over the past 3 years. Since the habs made it 2 times they have a much lower chance of getting a high pick

Old
11-08-2012, 10:38 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

If Avs want Gorges and Eller it'll take more than Stastny and a dman. Personally I'd also want O'Byrne to be part of this deal.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Its not a total lottery draft... Its based on how many times a team has made the playoffs over the past 3 years. Since the habs made it 2 times they have a much lower chance of getting a high pick
Last time that happened we got 5th overall and Price, lets hope that happens again!

Old
11-08-2012, 07:39 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Last time that happened we got 5th overall and Price, lets hope that happens again!
#5 at this juncture of the CHL season could possibly get the Habs J.Drouin which would sit pretty well with the Hab faithful here at HF's.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:54 AM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

As someone who was a proponent of pairing Gorges and Subban to create our version of Keith-Seabrook, and who doesn't see Tomas Kaberle as much more than an ineffective replacement for Markov, I would like to see Kaberle traded for Stéphane Robidas. Both are on the downside of their careers. But in adding Bouillon to this year's team, I submit that he has been most effective historically paired with a fellow French Canadien, see Brisebois and Dandenault. I also see Robidas as someone who can be effective on the PK where Kaberle isn't, while providing a veteran PP QB, insurance for both Subban and Markov.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:15 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
As someone who was a proponent of pairing Gorges and Subban to create our version of Keith-Seabrook, and who doesn't see Tomas Kaberle as much more than an ineffective replacement for Markov, I would like to see Kaberle traded for Stéphane Robidas. Both are on the downside of their careers. But in adding Bouillon to this year's team, I submit that he has been most effective historically paired with a fellow French Canadien, see Brisebois and Dandenault. I also see Robidas as someone who can be effective on the PK where Kaberle isn't, while providing a veteran PP QB, insurance for both Subban and Markov.
Dallas will never do this deal, unless you sweeten it up to a point where it hurts the habs more than do no trading.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Dallas will never do this deal, unless you sweeten it up to a point where it hurts the habs more than do no trading.
Good. For me Kaberle is the joker card in the Habs line-up. He admitted himself that last season he was way out of shape and the whole team sucked anyways. A motivated, fit Kaberle gives the Habs a decent 2nd D pair on the pp and atleast a 30 point defensmen. Let him walk after 2013-2014, Beaulieu should be ready by then.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The GM gets credit for having good scouts and good drafting.

Just FYI Philadelphia never traded Jeff Carter to the Los Angeles Kings.

Also, sometimes both teams benefit from a trade. I think that may be the case for the Columbus trade with Los Angeles. CLB gets a 2013 1st rounder (MacKinnon???) and Jack Johnson, LA gets that extra firepower they needed to push for 8th place to win the cup.
So Gauthier and Gainey were geniuses for all the great picks the last few years?

Trading Carter and Richards didn't make Phillie better but it helped LA win a cup.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Eh, it's not bad but we'd have:

Desharnais
Plekanec
Stastny

Not even counting Gomez.

I guess it depends on what we'd get if we moved Plekanec or Desharnais because as is, Gorges is a big piece to lose. I can deal with losing Eller for a guy like Stastny but the depth doesn't make much sense as they are all undersized guys and with gally being ready sooner than later it's a weird mix.

I would certainly do Stastny for Eller+ but that Gorges piece is tough. I feel it's just better to stay the course instead but its not a bad deal. I'd just have to say no. If it were Duchene we'd have a better discussion about it.
I wouldn't do it. If Desharnais hits the pay-day jack pot, we could potentially have 16-17 million of cap space tied up in three centres, none of which are elite. The centre position with Galchenyuk in the fold is no longer a problem. The problem on the habs is the wings. Defense is fine with the prospect pool right now, it can be better but it's not a concern. Getting Statsny is redundant. The habs need scoring and skilled wingers.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Mats86

Quote:

To Habs:
Paul Stastny

To Avs:
Lars Eller
Josh Gorges

I would like to make a counter offer. Take out Stastny(we have 2 similar playmaking centers), We offer Eller and a top prospect(not Galchenyuk, Tinordi or Collberg) for E. Johnson?

Closed Thread