HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART I

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 06:38 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Theissen can be whatever he wants in the AHL, but I can't ever see him being an NHL goaltender. Wayy too small.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Theissen can be whatever he wants in the AHL, but I can't ever see him being an NHL goaltender. Wayy too small.
He also plays way to deep in the net. Of Thiessen and Zatkoff i would clearly put my money on Zatkoff making the NHL of the 2.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Seems like Thiessen has fallen quite a bit. 35 wins in 46 starts and the numbers he had... sexy. But was he a product of a great system or a product of being solid with a great system?
Great individual year (got on a roll and never lost confidence) coupled with a veteran team in front of him. He started to come down again only 1 year later. Now he will probably go the way of John Curry, another smallish undrafted college goalie who had a couple good years in WBS and some cups of coffee in the NHL before leaving for Europe.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:27 PM
TheEdge27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Great individual year (got on a roll and never lost confidence) coupled with a veteran team in front of him. He started to come down again only 1 year later. Now he will probably go the way of John Curry, another smallish undrafted college goalie who had a couple good years in WBS and some cups of coffee in the NHL before leaving for Europe.
Not sure if it was money or performance, but Curry is back in the ECHL with Orlando, Nick Peterson plays there too, and is leading the league in scoring.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Honour Over Glory

How is Killeen doing in the ECHL?

Old
11-05-2012, 05:04 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
How is Killeen doing in the ECHL?
Killeen seems to be playing well. He is 3-2-1-1 in Wheeling. Obviously he has been in net for all 8 points the Nailers have recorded. He has a 2.38 goals against and .915 save %. I do not know if he is showing enough to move up to an AHL job yet, but his numbers seem solid when he is playing the majority of the games. There has been some discussion of Killeen in the Penguins' prospects thread.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:26 AM
vikingGoalie

Killeen still has a little ways to go I think. He's only 22? so as a goalie there is some time to develop. I mean if you post a sub .90 in the ECHL that's not too good. But he has time to pick it up.

Theissen, as other said, too small and not good enough to overcome that. He goes down early and often on shots. When you're a 6'5" monster you can get away with that that to some extent.

I'm curious as to how Morrow and Bennett look (stats don't tell the complete picture). I had unreasonable expectations of them really tearing it up (more so Morrow) in the A.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:31 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
Killeen still has a little ways to go I think. He's only 22? so as a goalie there is some time to develop. I mean if you post a sub .90 in the ECHL that's not too good. But he has time to pick it up.

Theissen, as other said, too small and not good enough to overcome that. He goes down early and often on shots. When you're a 6'5" monster you can get away with that that to some extent.

I'm curious as to how Morrow and Bennett look (stats don't tell the complete picture). I had unreasonable expectations of them really tearing it up (more so Morrow) in the A.
They both need at least a year in the AHL, maybe 2. You can see they have all the tools but they definetly need refining. Anyone on here that says Morrow is NHL ready hasn't seen him play in WBS yet.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:23 AM
MonsterSurge

Killeen has looked a bit shaky this year. He's a very exciting goalie to watch. Wheeling made a comeback against Elmira last year and won it in the shootout. After the winning save, Killeen threw his gear up in the air. I know that doesn't mean he's AHL worthy, but it was pretty good stuff to watch.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Jacob

I'm not writing Killeen off but I'd also rather not qualify him this summer. I feel like having a bunch of guys in the ECHL counting towards your 50-player contract limit is kind of a waste.. especially one that's spent 3 years in the league with only moderate success (at best). And he hasn't proven himself as a capable AHL yet (and I'm assuming he will have not by summer as well).

With Fleury-Vokoun-Zatkoff under contract through 13/14, I'd want that 4th goaltender to either be a veteran guy with actual NHL experience or some fresher blood with some upside like an NCAA or CHL free agent.

I don't think a team needs 5 goalies under NHL contracts. Depth goalies aren't hard to come by if injuries occur, even mid-season.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:12 PM
steelcityassault

WB/S 5 Bridgeport 3

Paul Thompson HT

Old
11-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
WB/S 5 Bridgeport 3

Paul Thompson HT
Great to see that, even as the NHL is locked out, things are still functioning properly in the hockey universe - with the Islanders losing.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Despres got beat, but I don't know how good of a fighter he and Hamonic are.

BTW, nice bacon pancakes avatar Superunknown94.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Despres got beat, but I don't know how good of a fighter he and Hamonic are.

BTW, nice bacon pancakes avatar Superunknown94.
Hamonic is a pretty decent fighter, Despres has never been too good, despite his strength and size. Despres handled himself better than I expected to, though.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

How much of Thompson's 3 goals do you think can be attributed to his shot and how much to Bridgeport's goalie being bad?

hard to tell with crappy AHL feed.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:18 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
How much of Thompson's 3 goals do you think can be attributed to his shot and how much to Bridgeport's goalie being bad?

hard to tell with crappy AHL feed.
He's always had that great wrist shot. Just never had anything else.. until now apparently

Old
11-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Poulin looked like crap in those highlights.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:36 PM
vikingGoalie

some serious weak goals in there. especially Thompson's 2nd goal.

While Despres didn't look like he really knew what he was doing fighting, he is strong as horse there were a few times where he was bent over with the weight of pretty large human on him and he just stood back up.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:40 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
some serious weak goals in there. especially Thompson's 2nd goal.

While Despres didn't look like he really knew what he was doing fighting, he is strong as horse there were a few times where he was bent over with the weight of pretty large human on him and he just stood back up.
Good to hear. Not the fact he can't fight (or didn't show it in this particular fight), but the fact the guy is built like a mac truck and can take it.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:42 AM
MonsterSurge

Despres should go a few more times this year with some lesser guys. Maybe MacIntyre can teach him some things. He'll need that skill in his career. He did pretty decent, though.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Despres should go a few more times this year with some lesser guys. Maybe MacIntyre can teach him some things. He'll need that skill in his career. He did pretty decent, though.
Yes, I agree. Steve MacIntyre should teach both Eric Tangradi and Simon Despres to fight. Both players have a big body frame.

It will will help whenever they get into a situation where they have to drop the gloves. But I don't want see them fight too often. They're valuable to WBS/Pittsburgh.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:03 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Yes, I agree. Steve MacIntyre should teach both Eric Tangradi and Simon Despres to fight. Both players have a big body frame.

It will will help whenever they get into a situation where they have to drop the gloves. But I don't want see them fight too often. They're valuable to WBS/Pittsburgh.
Or they could spend that time getting better at I don't know, being better hockey players?

Old
11-06-2012, 06:27 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Don't be silly. Everyone knows fighting in the NHL is bigger now than ever before.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
JTG

Fighting is still and integral part of the game, IMO. Difference is, the stupid heavyweight stage fights are now pretty much fading into the sunset. You need big guys who can play hockey and part time enforce also, a la Engo.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:48 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I don't necessarily disagree. My only real issue with fighting in the game were those pointless staged "heavyweight" fights. If two players who have been going at it all night get sick of each other, boil over and start pounding on each other's faces... more power to them, I guess.

But even Engo barely fought last season. It seems to be getting de-emphasized, like it or not. Injury concerns (namely the rash/new awareness of concussions) probably have at least something to do with it.

Closed Thread