HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART I

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 06:48 PM

vCash: 500
WBS fans will love Bobby Farnham.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:53 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I don't necessarily disagree. My only real issue with fighting in the game were those pointless staged "heavyweight" fights. If two players who have been going at it all night get sick of each other, boil over and start pounding on each other... more power to them, I guess.

But even Engo barely fought last season. It seems to be getting de-emphasized, like it or not. Injury concerns (namely the rash/new awareness of concussions) probably have at least something to do with it.
Not sure if it's de-emphasized. That may not be the right word. That to me means that it is lacking the importance as before, and I don't think that's the case. What I do think is the case is guys who play big parts on teams are now pugilists. You can't afford to have them out so they pick the battles more. Lucic is Boston sort of comes to mind. That guy would fight every single game, but he limits when he does.

I also think more than ever before, team toughness is so much more important. Teams like Boston are bringing waves upon waves of toughness. You don't need to fight a guy if you have a bunch of guys who can just continuously run him into the boards instead.

The game is definitely changing. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I fear that it's will turn into the NFL, and you now cannot hit anyone because they are constantly "defenseless." When I grew up playing hockey, if your head was down, you were fair game. Now guys can skate up the ice with their heads turned, and if a guy lights him up, that guy is suspended and fined.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:54 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
WBS fans will love Bobby Farnham.
Sounds good. What can we expect from him? What type of player is Farnham?

Old
11-06-2012, 06:58 PM
deakka

Isnt it a bit strange we call someone up? isnt the roster crowded as it is. especially with Megna back.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:05 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I also think more than ever before, team toughness is so much more important. Teams like Boston are bringing waves upon waves of toughness. You don't need to fight a guy if you have a bunch of guys who can just continuously run him into the boards instead.
I'll completely agree with this. I always have, really. You don't need to go out and get these talentless enforcers who specialize just in punching faces. You need to have an entire roster willing to play a chippy style of game to keep the other team honest. Finish checks, body guys off of pucks, play hard in the corners and along the boards. But don't waste a valuable roster spot on a dedicated enforcer. Not even for a quarter of a season (and obviously NEVER in the playoffs... which in and of itself is telling).

Quote:
The game is definitely changing. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I fear that it's will turn into the NFL, and you now cannot hit anyone because they are constantly "defenseless." When I grew up playing hockey, if your head was down, you were fair game. Now guys can skate up the ice with their heads turned, and if a guy lights him up, that guy is suspended and fined.
I'll grant that they are in an awkward phase, right now. The league has to protect it's most valuable assets (and help protect them from even further mental deficiency, as evidenced by this lockout) and deal with dirty hits and other infractions in a fair manner across the board with consistency. But I agree that they could well go too far. I'm skeptical because I don't have much faith in the people at the controls of this league. So your point is completely valid.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Nitti*

How come sneep Is in wheeling?

Old
11-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Sounds good. What can we expect from him? What type of player is Farnham?
Guy won't back down from anything he's probably 5' 10" and he fought Brian Boyle over the summer in a camp scrimmage. Fast skater with pretty good hands had 3 goals that I can think of without looking up stats.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:03 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Guy won't back down from anything he's probably 5' 10" and he fought Brian Boyle over the summer in a camp scrimmage. Fast skater with pretty good hands had 3 goals that I can think of without looking up stats.
Thanks 71.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:14 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Isnt it a bit strange we call someone up? isnt the roster crowded as it is. especially with Megna back.
They sent Payerl and Veilleux down to the Wheel. KV is only on conditioning until Sunday, so he'll be back up. Payerl will get more ice time to develop his game.

This is a pure guess, but with Farnham coming up and KV coming next week, I would assume that Kuhnhackl will be headed back to Wheeling where he will get a ton of ice time, which he needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitti View Post
Huge log jam on the blue line. Weird seeing a guy on an NHL contract playing all the way down in the E. He's literally almost NHL-ready too, just below so many guys on the depth chart

Quote:
Can't wait to see how he does in the A against tougher competition. Don't think we've seen a player like this in a long time in the organization..

Old
11-06-2012, 08:22 PM
deakka

Kv hasnt played a single game yet. And payerl being sent down nullifies the fact that megna is back. So we are still one forward more now. Im with you on kuhn heading to wheeling soon. Uher has looked vey good tje games ive seen. My bet is he stays up.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Uher has looked vey good tje games ive seen. My bet is he stays up.
Absolutely. Coaching staff and org VERY high on him now

Old
11-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Does anybody have a comparable for Uher? That would be appreciated.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Lots of people say Talbot. A checking player that has some sense and skill. He has that choppy stride like Talbot does too.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Lots of people say Talbot. A checking player that has some sense and skill. He has that choppy stride like Talbot does too.
From what I've seen of him, I have him pegged as 65% Talbot and 35% Cooke comparison. Not the old dirty side of Cooke, but the Cooke who takes his hits a bit farther than Talbot does. The guy seemed relentless.

We're going to take to this guy.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitti View Post
Hasn't played a game yet and doesn't look like he will get the chance to until the NHL opens up the defensive log jam. He needs to play even if it's in Wheeling.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:24 PM
regard

In regards to the Macintyre teaching Despres and Tangradi to fight discussion I dont see how it can hurt and I do see how it can benifit them. Spending time to become better hockey players? How much time is it going to take over the course of a season for him to give them some tips on keeping your balance, grappling and whatever?

Also I already think of this ECHL guy as Farmhand. FYI

Old
11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
MonsterSurge

Why was Farnham sent down? Wheeling gets tough (someone who scraps) and then he leaves. Ugh.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
I don't like Talbot or Cooke comparisons. I like a combination of Brandon Dubinsky and a little Max Lapierre better

Old
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
I don't like Talbot or Cooke comparisons. I like a combination of Brandon Dubinsky and a little Max Lapierre better
Are you saying hes going to be the most hated player ever?

Old
11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Haha. He's definitely going to make it as a pest, that's for sure.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
How much of Thompson's 3 goals do you think can be attributed to his shot and how much to Bridgeport's goalie being bad?
My impression on at least two of those goals were that they were very soft / it was crappy goaltending for sure. Especially from that far out and with that little screening AFAICT. I don't see anything there that would suggest PT is a future goal-scorer for the Penguins.

Quote:
Wow. That's pretty impressive. Boyle is a big, tough SOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
I'm not sure I could like anyone on my team who is similar to LaPierre. He's like Avery. He's one of those guys that is such a d-bag you can't even use the "I'd love to have that guy on my team but I'd hate him everywhere else" logic. Cooke and Ruutu are/was the "as long as he's on my team I love what he brings" guy. LaPierre, you hate him no matter who he plays for. I think it's the combination of cheap shots and the ****-eating grin he has all the time and that stupid mug. Every time I see the guy I want to beat him with a hammer.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:29 PM
MonsterSurge

Boyle is a terrible fighter. He's big, but he can't fight at all.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:12 PM
MonsterSurge

I figured I'd just post this here, but Harrington is co-captain of Team OHL in the Subway Super Series.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Are there any streams for tonight? If so, please PM me.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:20 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Boyle is a terrible fighter. He's big, but he can't fight at all.
He is, but go fight him..

Closed Thread