HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXIV: Will You Still Need Me, Will You Still Read Me, on Thread LXIV?

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Then, of course, we have to account for provisional ballots, no? In a vote that close, they may count.
I think they were the first to be counted were they not? I'm assuming that's what EV is?

Old
11-06-2012, 10:28 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
I hate the way these political props are written, willing to bet some people thought no meant no tax increase.

HOWEVER this does not mean the Coyotes will stay, you have a current member facing a recall, she will not push through a ridiculous AMF with that pending, plus I suspect the new council could easily overturn the decision to approve the amended AMF agrement.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Update!

GLENDALE COUNCILMEMBER - SAHUARO DISTRICT

81% (9 of 11) precincts reporting

- DOUGLAS, DIANE 3516 49.35%

- SHERWOOD, GARY* 3609 50.65%

Still too close to call...

GLENDALE COUNCILMEMBER - YUCCA DISTRICT

55% (5 of 9) precincts reporting

- CHAVIRA, SAM* 1930 56.6%

- CLARK, JOYCE 1480 43.4%

Clark looks more and more like she's going down to defeat...

CITY OF GLENDALE PROPOSITION 457

63% (29 of 46) precincts reporting

- YES 11198 34.36%

- NO* 21388 65.64%

I think it's safe to say the prop 457 is done like dinner.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
I hate the way these political props are written, willing to bet some people thought no meant no tax increase.

HOWEVER this does not mean the Coyotes will stay, you have a current member facing a recall, she will not push through a ridiculous AMF with that pending, plus I suspect the new council could easily overturn the decision to approve the amended AMF agrement.
I would assume that a legally binding and signed AMF contract could not be easily overturned.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:

When is the Knaack recall election?

Old
11-06-2012, 10:32 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Update!

81% (9 of 11) precincts reporting

- DOUGLAS, DIANE 3516 49.35%

- SHERWOOD, GARY* 3609 50.65%

Still too close to call...

55% (5 of 9) precincts reporting

- CHAVIRA, SAM* 1930 56.6%

- CLARK, JOYCE 1480 43.4%

Clark looks more and more like she's going down to defeat...

63% (29 of 46) precincts reporting

- YES 11198 34.36%

- NO* 21388 65.64%

I think it's safe to say the prop 457 is DOAN like dinner.
Fixed it for you!

Old
11-06-2012, 10:33 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
When is the Knaack recall election?
It will only occur if enough signatures are collected.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
You might have a small point if it were close. It was not close. It wasn't accidental, either.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

This might be the most interesting race of the night...

GLENDALE COUNCILMEMBER - CACTUS DISTRICT

66% (4 of 6) precincts reporting

- HIRSCH, GARY* 2006 50.06%

- HUGH, IAN 2001 49.94%

Only 5 votes currently separate Hirsch from Hugh....

Old
11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Fixed it for you!

Old
11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
I would assume that a legally binding and signed AMF contract could not be easily overturned.
Probably not, but do you think Skeete is stupid enough to sign it knowing a pretty much all new council is being sworn in, within the next 2 months?

I could see Beazley doing it, but Skeete actually seems like he knows what he is doing.... somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You might have a small point if it were close. It was not close. It wasn't accidental, either.
Not saying that is the end all reason, but if the residents who spoke at the council meetings are any indication of the people who vote then I stand by my comment

Not all resident mind you.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Update!

One of the more anti-climatic updates...

76% (35 of 46) precincts reporting

- YES 11974 34.32%

- NO* 22917 65.68%

...and the tightest race...

GLENDALE COUNCILMEMBER - CACTUS DISTRICT

83% (5 of 6) precincts reporting

- HIRSCH, GARY 2078 49.67%

- HUGH, IAN* 2106 50.33%

Hugh has now taken a 28 vote lead over Hirsch.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:41 PM
blues10

Quote:
Probably not, but do you think Skeete is stupid enough to sign it knowing a pretty much all new council is being sworn in, within the next 2 months?

I could see Beazley doing it, but Skeete actually seems like he knows what he is doing.... somewhat.

Not saying that is the end all reason, but if the residents who spoke at the council meetings are any indication of the people who vote then I stand by my comment

Nothing would surpsise me in this debacle.

GB -" Horatio sign up the lease and your job as a temp is over. You'll be moving to NYC, I could use a man of your moral standing in my office"

Old
11-06-2012, 10:50 PM
blues10

It looks like Clark has lost her seat. I didn't know Canadians were eligible to vote?

Old
11-06-2012, 10:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

You mean the senile walking dead lunatics who show up at city council meeting at two oclock on a Tuesday to rant and rave about nothing at all? No, those do not represent our population. We've got terrible unemployment here, but it is less than ten percent. A good number of folks in the valley have both jobs and brains.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Nothing would surpsise me in this debacle.

GB -" Horatio sign up the lease and your job as a temp is over. You'll be moving to NYC, I could use a man of your moral standing in my office"
Skeete will do what city council directs him to do. The question is whether lame duck council members like Joyce Clark and Frate will vote to approve a deal that commits the COG to $320 million in payments over 20 years. If they do, I expect that we might well see another concerted effort to overturn the Jamison lease via referendum.

If by some chance this does end up in a referendum and the citizens of Glendale vote to support the Coyotes lease, I think it would be epic. It would be like the "Little Engine That Could".

Old
11-06-2012, 10:55 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Skeete will do what city council directs him to do. The question is whether lame duck council members like Joyce Clark and Frate will vote to approve a deal that commits the COG to $320 million in payments over 20 years. If they do, I expect that we might well see another concerted effort to overturn the Jamison lease via referendum.

If by some chance this does end up in a referendum and the citizens of Glendale vote to support the Coyotes lease, I think it would be epic. It would be like the "Little Engine That Could".

Nice analogy.

I remember Willy d. mentioning a train going off the tracks a few years ago. He would let us know when the train was coming in to the station. I am far too lazy to look up the exact quote.

Edit: Is that L'ill Gary as the engineer? simply brilliant.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:56 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
I think they were the first to be counted were they not? I'm assuming that's what EV is?
Provisional, early, and absentee votes are different things.

Absentee is when you are out of town and you vote by mail. You have until election day to post mark your ballot by election day and it has to get there within 10 days. I sent my ballot last week.

Early is when you go in person or if you vote by mail and it gets there before election day. Those are the votes you see right when the polls close and you have a bunch of votes displayed and zero precincts in.

Provisional is when you go and there is a problem with your registration and you fill out a form and they verify later if you should have been allowed to vote and then they count your vote.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Update!

90% (10 of 11) precincts reporting

- DOUGLAS, DIANE 3602 49.22%

- SHERWOOD, GARY* 3716 50.78%

Very close, but it looks like Sherwood is going to take this one.

88% (8 of 9) precincts reporting

- CHAVIRA, SAM* 2184 56.92%

- CLARK, JOYCE 1653 43.08%

It looks like Joyce Clark has gone down to defeat.

...and for the forgone conclusion of the night...

91% (42 of 46) precincts reporting

- YES 12745 34.49%

- NO* 24207 65.51%

Old
11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
The tax vote isn't a surprise. The council didnt sell it as if its overturned the coyotes leave. They sold it as of its overturned libraries close and there are cuts to police and fire protection (which I guess isn't untrue?)

If Clark in fact loses what make up does the new council have in relation to support of coyotes subsidies?

Old
11-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post

The Little engine that could? More like Blaine the crazy psycho train that survives against all odds in an hopeless, cruel world that fell into madness long ago.

Seriously now, I think after this election there is still hope for the Coyotes, but who knows what the future will bring? There are most likely many more trials ahead for the team, but we'll see.....

Old
11-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Provisional, early, and absentee votes are different things.

Absentee is when you are out of town and you vote by mail. You have until election day to post mark your ballot by election day and it has to get there within 10 days. I sent my ballot last week.

Early is when you go in person or if you vote by mail and it gets there before election day. Those are the votes you see right when the polls close and you have a bunch of votes displayed and zero precincts in.

Provisional is when you go and there is a problem with your registration and you fill out a form and they verify later if you should have been allowed to vote and then they count your vote.
That's good to know. It's very different from up here. We have advanced polls but they count as a reporting precinct. We don't have mail-in or provisional voting.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:05 PM
madhi19

Quote:

Skeete will try his best to delay it to January if he know the new council is opposing it. After all ramming this thing now will be an easy way to lose his job! Should not be too hard to put it on ice for a month and change.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
So Clark loses (hoooray) but the tax (subsidy) stays....

Can someone summarize what this means for the Yotes?

(i'm getting flashbacks to when the Glendale council meeting webstream had some 20000 Winnipegers watching and like 3 PHX residents watching.....but this time its Quebec following closely)

Old
11-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The tax vote isn't a surprise. The council didnt sell it as if its overturned the coyotes leave. They sold it as of its overturned libraries close and there are cuts to police and fire protection (which I guess isn't untrue?)

If Clark in fact loses what make up does the new council have in relation to support of coyotes subsidies?
Clark was the most vociferous and influential supporter of the Jamison deal, and her replacement does not seem inclined to be supportive. I can't recall what the mayoral candidates' positions were, but I think that both of them favored a less rich AMF and looking to see other options. In that case, the new council will likely oppose the Jamison lease as currently configured. That could change once they have been briefed by others, but I expect that the current city council better pass the lease agreement if it is going to be done. I just think that the optics of having outgoing council members pass such a substantial and controversial financial measure is going to raise all sorts of red flags. I expect that it will not only encourage folks who would seek to overturn it through a referendum, but I expect that it might also figure into the GWI's likelihood of challenging this under the gift clause.

The NHL should have done all that it could to get this deal done long before now. They have left the COG, Jamison and themselves in a very tenuous and complicated situation now.

Closed Thread