HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

John Tavares

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2012, 12:47 AM
  #101
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,937
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
False. Kovy, Hossa, expensive rentals... they didn't get THAT much, and only did because their teams thought they could push them over the top... they didn't get that much because they thought they could re-sign them... it was for a chance at the cup.

NYI has no chance at the cup. Which is why they don't value rentals. A chance to negotiate with a guy to potentially sign with your team is worth approximately a 3rd rounder if he's good.
That's not true. Shea Weber had one year left on his deal as well, and the asking price was Schenn + Couturier ++. To think that it would just be for a rental is absurd. Obviously when a team gives up a lot of assets they do so because they believe they can sign him long-term. Not only for a cup run. After a season of playing with the team, they'd be far more likely to re-sign with them than they would otherwise.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 12:52 AM
  #102
MAK19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
That's not true. Shea Weber had one year left on his deal as well, and the asking price was Schenn + Couturier ++. To think that it would just be for a rental is absurd. Obviously when a team gives up a lot of assets they do so because they believe they can sign him long-term. Not only for a cup run. After a season of playing with the team, they'd be far more likely to re-sign with them than they would otherwise.
1-That was this summer, when Weber was RFA, when Philly was allowed to negotiate with him. Philly knew Weber had interest.
2-They could have agreed to a deal before the trade
3-The deal didn't go through


There is no way for NYI to negotiate with Edler during the season, without Vanconver completely ruining their relationship with him by saying they want to trade him. It's a completely different situation. There is no way to know if Edler would sign long term, it's tampering.

MAK19 is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 12:58 AM
  #103
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,937
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
1-That was this summer, when Weber was RFA, when Philly was allowed to negotiate with him. Philly knew Weber had interest.
2-They could have agreed to a deal before the trade
3-The deal didn't go through


There is no way for NYI to negotiate with Edler during the season, without Vanconver completely ruining their relationship with him by saying they want to trade him. It's a completely different situation. There is no way to know if Edler would sign long term, it's tampering.
Players are professionals. They aren't going to say "You were willing to trade me so I don't want to be here anymore. They know the GMs goal is to win a cup, not to make one big happy family.

And I'll say it once more. All these deals that happen when you see an impending UFA being traded for kings' ransoms wouldn't happen if the team knew he would walk after. They obviously value the fact that they now have exclusive rights to negotiate an extension. If they think they can extend him, then that has value to them.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:01 AM
  #104
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,772
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
A player can't sign a deal that a team didn't offer. Seriously.
Sure they can. Arbitration, for one, which would be the most likely scenario, IMO. Though an offer sheet is also a possibility.

Seph is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:02 AM
  #105
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 14,942
vCash: 500
I did not intend to open up this can of worms....haha

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:05 AM
  #106
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,937
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Sure they can. Arbitration, for one, which would be the most likely scenario, IMO. Though an offer sheet is also a possibility.
But if the player signs the offer sheet, then the other team can simply match. Or get pick compensation.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:06 AM
  #107
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,937
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I did not intend to open up this can of worms....haha
Yeah, let's try to get back on topic.

Post your own offers, don't criticize others'.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:15 AM
  #108
nowhereman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
The Sedin Twins for John Tavares.
One Sedin, on his own, is better than Tavares. Why would you want to trade both of them and destroy your chance at a Stanley Cup for the next five years?

This is Tavares, not Crosby. The guy's a PPG player who might end up being a 100 point player.

nowhereman is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:38 AM
  #109
Gavy
Registered User
 
Gavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
One Sedin, on his own, is better than Tavares. Why would you want to trade both of them and destroy your chance at a Stanley Cup for the next five years?

This is Tavares, not Crosby. The guy's a PPG player who might end up being a 100 point player.
Give Tavares an identical twin to play with and watch him put up 130 pts. Tavares is worth more than them

Gavy is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 01:58 AM
  #110
RisingSun
Registered User
 
RisingSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,741
vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Give Tavares an identical twin to play with and watch him put up 130 pts. Tavares is worth more than them
Oh c'mon, the sedan twins are both proven 100 point players.
I might get flamed for this, but starting to feel Tavares is beginning to become a little overrated on these boards.

RisingSun is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:18 AM
  #111
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Oh c'mon, the sedan twins are both proven 100 point players.
I might get flamed for this, but starting to feel Tavares is beginning to become a little overrated on these boards.
What is your definition of "proven 100 points players" ?

is Gomez a 30 goals scorer, 80 point player by this definition?

palindrom is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:27 AM
  #112
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,937
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
What is your definition of "proven 100 points players" ?

is Gomez a 30 goals scorer, 80 point player by this definition?
He would have been when he was only a season removed from that one, yes. Right now the Sedins are arguably the best forwards in the Western Conference. For the past 3 seasons one or the other has led it in scoring, and in 2 of those 3 seasons they led the entire league in points. Scoring for the entire Western Conference went down as a whole last year, but in the East I think it's highly possible they put up 100 points again.

Gomez is too far removed to be considered a 30-goal, 80 point player anymore, and coupled with his cap hit, it makes him highly undesirable.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:28 AM
  #113
mmarti68
Registered User
 
mmarti68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
I never realized how little value my Preds had until I tried to come up with a way to get JT without losing Rinne or Weber.

We can't trade Weber at all until next July-ish, so we're good there anyway

1st, Ryan Ellis, Pontus Aberg, Craig Smith
for
John Tavares

mmarti68 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:37 AM
  #114
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,478
vCash: 50
Ryder,Halak and a 2nd.



Oh wait

oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:42 AM
  #115
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,478
vCash: 50
For John Tavares, I'd offer Horcoff,Khabibulin,Hemsky and Smyth.



The Islanders have to agree.The Oilers are giving up plenty.


Last edited by oilersfan11: 11-07-2012 at 02:50 AM.
oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 02:57 AM
  #116
DJN21
Registered User
 
DJN21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
For John Tavares, I'd offer Horcoff,Khabibulin,Hemsky and Smyth.



The Islanders have to agree.The Oilers are giving up plenty.
lol not sure if serious,,,sure you're not...

DJN21 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 03:01 AM
  #117
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
For John Tavares, I'd offer Horcoff,Khabibulin,Hemsky and Smyth.



The Islanders have to agree.The Oilers are giving up plenty.
....i hope this is a joke lol.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 03:07 AM
  #118
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,478
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
....i hope this is a joke lol.
ya it is,just check out my avatar and you'll understand.




Good ol joker from Batman.

oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 03:33 AM
  #119
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He would have been when he was only a season removed from that one, yes. Right now the Sedins are arguably the best forwards in the Western Conference. For the past 3 seasons one or the other has led it in scoring, and in 2 of those 3 seasons they led the entire league in points. Scoring for the entire Western Conference went down as a whole last year, but in the East I think it's highly possible they put up 100 points again.

Gomez is too far removed to be considered a 30-goal, 80 point player anymore, and coupled with his cap hit, it makes him highly undesirable.
So a proven 100 points player is someone who did it once in his 11 season career ?

palindrom is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 04:19 AM
  #120
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,772
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
But if the player signs the offer sheet, then the other team can simply match. Or get pick compensation.
Yes, and matching would result in the team is signing the player to a contract the team didn't offer, which you said couldn't happen.

But that was more of just pointing out another exception, and not really a concern. Arbitration was really the far larger concern.

Seph is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 04:23 AM
  #121
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Emelin
Gally
Beaulieu
2nd


doubt I would do it though
not too bad, but you'd probably have to change the second to a first. and you should do it. islanders? well they shouldn't.

even then, there's not much in the habs org that we could give without creating some serious holes in our lineup. subban+. gally++...

guy's untouchable and for good reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
No problem, i understand your point of view, Tavares is gold.

What if i add Subban and Collberg and i take Dipietro contract ?

To NYI
Price
Subban
Beaulieu
Galchenyuk
1st
Collberg

To Montreal:

Tavares
DiPietro
motherofgod.jpg


Last edited by MasterDecoy: 11-07-2012 at 04:36 AM.
MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 05:51 AM
  #122
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
As an Isles fan I would consider this a fair offer...

Price
Galchenyuk
Beaulieu
1st

So yeah, he's not going anywhere
As a Isles fan i can understand why you would
As a Habs fan i wouldn't touch this offer.Serious overpayment.
Love Tavares but not at that price.

PS -palindrom
Life as a Habs fan is going to be rough for you for many seasons because Price is going to be around for at least 10 more of them.
So get use to it.

mytor4* is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:22 AM
  #123
roboninja
EYG
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
tavares + dp for the oilers' young core (eberle, hall, rnh, yakupov, schultz)

but seriously tavares would never get traded for anything less than one of the most one sided trades ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
As an Isles fan I would consider this a fair offer...

Price
Galchenyuk
Beaulieu
1st

So yeah, he's not going anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
i know i have been posting absolutely ridiculous proposals in here but i don't want a single one of those players or the first rounder
Even in a fantasy thread you manage to be absolutely ridiculous.

roboninja is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:48 AM
  #124
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 18,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
* No way he is going anywhere *

I just want to know what some people would realistically give up for him.

I truley believe that there is not one single player in the League that he Isles would trade Johnny for Straight up.

Now obviouslly he is not Crosby or Malkin, but IMHO the Isles dont trade him for anyone straight up.

Thanks
LMAO really? when you're going into Brooklyn you wouldn't want the name SIDNEY CROSBY upon entering a new territory? JT, great player but Crosby is a no brainer

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 09:05 AM
  #125
Sundinisagod
tanknation
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 8,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Im assuming that the first one was a joke..

The 2nd one was respectable and legit, esspecially for a leafs fan giving up thoses three but then again you would be getting Tavares.

I was hoping the 1st offer was enough, the 2nd offer was just in case the first wasn't good enough

Sundinisagod is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.