HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

worst player to scored 30 goals (since 2002)

Old
11-06-2012, 12:13 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Looking at the goal-scoring ability of a player is the easiest way to frame an answer to the question 'who's the worst player to hit 30'. Using that criteria, it's gotta be Chris Clark.

That said, the biggest thing separating Clark from the Holmstroms and Clarksons is that Clark isn't parked in front of the net all the time to get rebound opportunities and deflections.

11-06-2012, 12:43 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

vCash: 500
Prucha would get my vote, followed by Carter.

However, Kristian Huselius deserves a mention. He's a pretty good compiler but he's also infamously one-dimensional. Excluding freak statistical aberrations like the two mentioned above, he might be the worst all around 30 goal scorer who actually has the talent to score 30 goals.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Mike Green

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:30 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, anyone that would mention Daze in this thread didn't see him play, what a joke, guy was a goal machine.
This. Daze had a lot of skill. By no means should he mentioned as one of the worst players to hit 30 goals-that's crazy.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Cheechoo was a beast before injury. Complete duck killer. He doesn't deserve to be named here.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Peter Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Brad Boyes scored about half his goals for the blues on the PP. Continued that pace as a Sabre. When league power plays dwindled his scoring plummeted. He's a soft perimeter player who is only effective in man up situations. However if league power plays go back to where they were post last lockout he'd be my pick to rebound.
Although Boyes' 43 goal season featured 11 PP goals, i think it was more his combination with Kariya than his production on the PP (at least in that season). Kariya assisted on 27 of Boyes' 43 goals, 17 of them with the primary assist, and 9 of his 11 PP goals.

Peter Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:18 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Going with Petr Prucha.

11-06-2012, 09:28 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
Bad back ended his career way too soon.
I cant believe he retired back after the 05/06 season. I feel like he was ASG MVP 3 years ago.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:39 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
I thought Daze's story was that he was quite good but an injury did him in.
He was a big dude but he had a terrible back. He wasn't a tremendous skater but he was mobile for his size, and in the pre-lockout era that's all you really asked for.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Chileiceman

Anyone mentioning Gomez is crazy. The guy was never a goal scorer, but in his prime he was one of the elite playmakers in the league.

my vote would probably go for Chris Clark. He was getting first line minutes with Ovechkin on an otherwise bad team. Great recipe for bad players to overacheive.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Tossup between Clark and Prucha for me.

As a Rangers fan, I watched all Prucha's goals that year. Tons of his goals were gorgeous snipes. He looked like a fantastic player. Then, he fizzled out. I can't remember seeing a rookie start off that hot and then just evaporate the way he did.

Clark for all the above-mentioned reasons. He never showed the skills Prucha did during that one season, he just got lucky.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
The question is not "who is better now".

Parrish, from 2001-02 through 2005-06, averaged 30 goals per 82 games. AVERAGED. Over his NHL career to-date, he's averaged 25 per 82.

Clark might be a good defensive player, but he's not more valuable than Parrish if we're talking peak, prime, or career.
We're talking about who the better or worse player is/was. I judge players based on the full spectrum of their game. I consider play in all three zones.

I don't care that Parrish could score goals better then Clark as in my mind that does not make him the better player. Clark was better in the defensive zone and the neutral zone. The fact he scored 30 goals in a season proves he could play in the offensive zone as well. Parrish was weak in the defensive zone specifically and wasn't very effective in neutral zone play.

I said nothing about who was a better player "now" other then to disprove another poster about a comment he made about it.

I would take Clark over Parrish 10 out of 10 times.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Looking at the goal-scoring ability of a player is the easiest way to frame an answer to the question 'who's the worst player to hit 30'. Using that criteria, it's gotta be Chris Clark.

That said, the biggest thing separating Clark from the Holmstroms and Clarksons is that Clark isn't parked in front of the net all the time to get rebound opportunities and deflections.
But the OP said nothing about goal-scoring ability. The OP asks who was the worst "player" to have scored 30 goals.

Clark was clearly not the worst player who scored 30 goals because as a player he was far more effective then guys like Prucha and Parrish.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Well I assume in a thread talking about 30 goal scorers that we would be talking about their ability to score goals and not looking at leadership qualities or defensive capabilities. Chris Clark was a decent PKer and grinder who scored 20 then 30 goals out of the blue.

Parrish was actually a decent scorer, 6 seasons with over 20 goals. I wouldn't call him the worst, but definitely a one dimensional player.
Chris Clark wasn't good defensively, his only positive +/- season is due to Ovechkin scoring 52 goals. He couldnt skate, hit or fight.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
SFKingshomer

Gotta be Anson Carter

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
The correct answer is Chris Clark.

He scored 30 in 74 GP in 2006-07 at the age of 30, and retired after 2010-11 with 103 in 607. Average 11 goals per 82 games outside of that one season. Bryan Little is the runner-up with an average of 18 goals outside of his 30-goal year; Prucha only averaged 14 after his 30-goal rookie season but wasn't really given playing time (played bottom six a lot) while Little played a lot of 1st/2nd line and PP time.

Clark had zero business being anywhere near 30.
Victory.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Chris Clark wasn't good defensively, his only positive +/- season is due to Ovechkin scoring 52 goals. He couldnt skate, hit or fight.
Oolalala. Forgot how relevant that the +/- is in terms of how good a player is. Supposedly couldn't skate hit or fight but he was the teams captain. LOL.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:14 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Prucha- Not strong enough to compete in the NHL after his 30 G year

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:51 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Are we talking about the same player? Chris Clark has 43 NHL fights and averaged more than a hit per game. On top of that he was relied on to play PK minutes, not something that is usually given to poor defensive players.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Are we talking about the same player? Chris Clark has 43 NHL fights and averaged more than a hit per game. On top of that he was relied on to play PK minutes, not something that is usually given to poor defensive players.
The Chris Clark we are talking about was a very good hockey player but apparantly some ppull can't look past offensive totals when judging player abilities. When they start to make things up like how he couldn't play defense, hit or fight then as far as I'm concerned it's a waste of time trying to discuss. Facts versus imagination.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Worse than Clarkson or Vrbata? Come on
It's like I said it's hard to say last season just because we've nothing more to gauge it. will they drop off? improve? who knows? Personally I think both Clarkson (more likely) and Vrbata are less likely to drop off than Pacioretty.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:26 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Those are before 2002, but I think these names deserve mention :

Sergei Berezin
Andrei Kovalenko
Alexander Selivanov
Zdeno Ciger
Bob Kudelski
Alexander Semak
Nikolai Borchevsky
Dimitri Kvartalnov

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Mattb124

Quote:
Also, Cheechoo doesn't belong in this thread. He had 28 in the year before Thornton was traded to San Jose, and was on pace for 24-27-51 when Thornton joined the Sharks (7-8-15 in his first 24) which was actually a slightly better start than the previous season (6-5-11 in his first 24, or 21-17-38). As you can see, he was a slow starter, improving his pace by around 25% in the remaining games. Which puts him as a 30-34-64 in 2005-06 if Thornton isn't acquired, assuming the same improvement. If we're going to say that a decently skilled guy who benefited from being the go-to guy for a highly skilled playmaker is the winner of this thread, why not Milan Hejduk? He hit 50 with Forsberg one year, and 30 a couple others. When has he hit/come close to 30 without a highly skilled playmaker (Forsberg, Sakic, Stastny)? He hasn't. Good circumstances for a guy who can put the puck in the net. The difference is that Cheechoo was traded and lost his confidence, and it killed his career. He could have continued on as a perennial 30-goal guy. He had the skill, and probably still has the shot to park a few in the net if a team were to take the chance on him. Ottawa was a bad fit. San Jose was a great fit. He might not be a bad option for Chicago, actually, if he can recapture his magic. Play Kane as the 2C and take advantage of his playmaking abilities, utilize Cheechoo's shot. It would be kind of an Oates/Hull situation where Chechoo's job is basically to find the scoring spot and wait for Kane to get him the puck. Kane's shot and the fact that they'd be against 2nd units are threatening enough to offset the improved QoC compared to the early 90s when Hull could just stand around while Oates did all of the work.
Cheechoo lost his legs, he did not lose his confidence. I vividly remember Murray mentioning "Cheechoo's skating isn't where we thought it would be" after the Heatley trade. We Shark's fans thought, "no $#!+", because we saw the before and after effects of the double sports hernia from which he never recovered. He could be effective when he was a marginal NHL skater, but fell off a cliff when his skating degraded. I cannot tell you how disappointing that was, because he is a real quality human being - a guy you really root for in terms of making a comeback.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:04 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Gomez, Blake, Cheechoo. All already been mentioned.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Nocashstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
I'm surprised this one has not been said yet. Scott Gomez.
You must have just started watching hockey in the past 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Gomez, Blake, Cheechoo. All already been mentioned.
All three of your answers are wrong.

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-07-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: consecutive
Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote