HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 7)

View Poll Results: What do you think of NHL 13
Best Game I ever bought 20 7.33%
It is pretty good I like it 147 53.85%
It is okay 60 21.98%
I rather play NHL 12 46 16.85%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Komarov77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Scrub View Post
That's strange. They're there for me and I have the 10-24 roster update.

Actually, it might be because I'm on Xbox and you're not. Are you on PS3?
I have ps3 and 10-24 and its okay for me.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Anyone else find it much better to back-check with a forward rather than try to control a defenceman? I've found the CPU is scoring a lot less cheesy goals if I bring a forward back and try to disrupt the play rather than fumble around with a defenceman. Skating just doesn't work well enough on defence.
I've been doing the same thing. It's just too clunky to try and maneuver a d-man going backwards. Couple that with the screwed up collision physics and it's just easier to use a backchecking forward.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
David71

the players move so slow now... hustle button doesnt work

Old
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Is there a way to make the score clock stay on when you're in the penalty box? It's so annoying not knowing how much time is left in your penalty sometimes.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:03 PM
ki11joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Anyone else find it much better to back-check with a forward rather than try to control a defenceman? I've found the CPU is scoring a lot less cheesy goals if I bring a forward back and try to disrupt the play rather than fumble around with a defenceman. Skating just doesn't work well enough on defence.
I find backchecking with a forward to be more reliable because when you switch to a backwards-skating defenseman, there's a tiny delay before you have control of them and with pivoting as slow as it is already, you're just multiplying your chances of getting beat by the puck carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
I cannot stand the shortside goal.

Also any pull-back shot from the slot seems to be a sure goal now.
Pretty much any short side goal scored against me is bull**** because it exploits the goaltender AI's stupidity with moves like this, where there is no reason to go into the butterfly:

About 70% of the goals I've seen online have been similar to this. If not a deke then it's some player with high shooting stats that fires an unscreened wrist shot from the top of the circles that the goaltender AI just cannot save for its life.

Playing this game online may have been the worst decision I ever made, because it's all about scoring "NHL 13" goals and not "hockey" goals. I can lead the time on attack, I can lead in shots, I can cycle around down low, look for a shot, grind out some hard-nosed garbage goals, and lose because someone managed to score a cluster of goals in a minute that all exploit AI shortcomings and have unrealistically high success rates.

Old
11-06-2012, 03:30 AM
n00bxQb

It's really upsetting having seen what this game was like prior to the demo and what it's turned into ...

Every successive tuner seems to be heading in the opposite direction that the game should be heading. *sigh* Oh well, I guess Franchise Hockey Manager is out soon.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:18 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Love beating people who choose the Legends team and then spam the pokecheck all game long and nailing me from behind etc. then beating them with a Finnish team.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:04 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Scrub View Post
I'm good at this game.

I'm better.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Can't wait to return this game. At least 3 times in the last two games my d man pins the puck behind his own net with no pressure and then gives it away to the other team for an easy goal.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Mxpunk

Can anyone tell me if the salary cap increases after your first season in GM Connected? Want to start planning ahead. Thanks!

Old
11-07-2012, 12:10 PM
PookDo

How do you add your BAP player to a team so you can use him in saw season mode or the WC?

Old
11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
How do you add your BAP player to a team so you can use him in saw season mode or the WC?
You create him in the creation zone and then through roster management, transfer him from the Free Agents to the team that you want.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpunk View Post
Can anyone tell me if the salary cap increases after your first season in GM Connected? Want to start planning ahead. Thanks!
It does in Be A GM so I assume it does for GM Connected.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:28 PM
CaptPantalones

I havent touched the game since I got NBA 2k13, has there been a recent roster update? Im waiting for Girgensons to join the Sabres

Old
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
I havent touched the game since I got NBA 2k13, has there been a recent roster update? Im waiting for Girgensons to join the Sabres
I don't even think he'd be on the Sabres if the season were going... between the lockout and lack of AHL roster updates, I don't see it happening in the game either.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:18 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
the players move so slow now... hustle button doesnt work
There is no hustle button. It has been replaced with a speed boost that your player automatically activates after a few strides of straight-ahead skating.

If you're not getting that boost, it's because your skater is just slow. Try using Gaborik or Grabner and you'll see it pretty clearly.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
chopperdudep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
There is no hustle button. It has been replaced with a speed boost that your player automatically activates after a few strides of straight-ahead skating.

If you're not getting that boost, it's because your skater is just slow. Try using Gaborik or Grabner and you'll see it pretty clearly.
It's still there, you do notice it more with a quick player though. You can either keep clicking hustle when you start skating, or you can just let your player get up to top speed naturally.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

No more Create-A-Play feature??? I can't find it anywhere

Old
11-08-2012, 02:13 PM
ki11joy

It's under "My NHL 13" in the main menu. When I saw there was an option to make a custom breakout, I was so psyched to try it out (NHL 08 didn't have that option). But my enthusiasm was quickly dampened when I saw that players will immediately stop following their paths as soon as you pass the puck, and that the AI forechecking is too aggressive for you to run a breakout play, even if it's just one player all alone on a penalty kill. And even if I do manage to get the breakout going, half the time my forwards will just stand still and not follow their paths. What a let-down.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:34 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
My teammates are beaten to practically every loose puck even when they have a headstart. While cycling a teammate and I will often double team a defender on the boards and even when we do, 9/10 the opposition will end up with the puck one way or another.
That's a good reason not to double team a defender. Hang back a little and provide puck support, and use your stick to chip the puck away from the board players.

Quote:
Both myself and my teammates are knocked flying by opposing players who are headed the other direction or not even moving..
Simple solution -- put more space between yourself and the defenders!

Quote:
I outshoot my opponent by a large margin every game and I am around .500 right now with my team because of the complete crap goals the CPU scores against me, or alternatively the few times a game one of the CPU players turns into Pinball Clemons and bounces off two or three checks and puts on a huge deke to beat our goalie.
The CPU will beat you if you rely too much on physical contact. Square up and block their lane, using your stick to poke the puck away. Don't jump into a check unless you know the CPU player has nowhere else to go.

Quote:
I can chip a puck or block a shot past a defender at our blueline and he can turn and accelerate to catch up to me in about a stride in a half (and of course knock me flying or take the puck away with extreme ease).
There aren't many breakaways in this game. If you get the CPU retreating, try to keep it moving the wrong way and use your teammates to force a bad pass. You'll score more on turnovers than on breakaways.

Quote:
CPU players block by passes with instant stick moves to their weak (non-shooting) side behind their backs with ease.. ridiculous.
The defense is pretty difficult to beat with passes. I find that it helps if you move your player a little before passing, to open up the angle. Typically you can take an extra stride or two and manage to get a more open pass that clears the sticks and bodies (but be forewarned, you're probably going to take a hit as you release the puck).

If you've been playing for a long time, like both of us have, it takes some time to adjust to this version. It's much less "arcadey" and really puts a premium on positioning and angles. More like real hockey, which I like, but it has a bit of a learning curve when it comes to flashy plays. Trying to just barrel through the opponent with speed and power won't work anymore.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Torts

i will still continue to play the game, however the longer they go without updating CHL rosters the more irrate i get.

i understand they have other things to do but in a 9 hour work day im sure one or two people can create the new players/move older players to FA/change correct handedness and other attributes (this is a pet peeve as it seems all lefties on the steelheads are righties in the game ??????)

Old
11-09-2012, 03:36 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I've been playing hockey video games since N64 days up until NHL 10, after that I took a couple of years off. Then I was hanging at a buddies cabin about a month ago when one of our friends puts NHL 12 into the 360 and the three of us proceed to play head to head for 16hrs straight! I had a blast and remembered why I liked playing so much, so fast forward a couple of weeks I'm at the store and decide to pick up NHL 13. Now...like I said, I've been playing these games for literally 15 years, so while I'm not awesome I am a pretty decent player (I never actually lost during the 16hrs of playing...just sayin). I've certainly never struggled against out of the box AI. However when I play the AI in NHL 13 it's a freaking nightmare! Honestly it's not even fun, it just feels like the CPU has access to speed, power, control, etc. that I do not, almost like the game is rigged. I don't want to be "that guy" but man I swear the AI feels cheap beyond comprehension. I don't feel like I get beat because I'm doing something wrong, I feel like I get beat simply because the AI can go freaking Super Saiyan and I cannot!

I noticed a couple of posts complaining about a similar experience but I'm wondering is it just a few of us who for whatever reason are just not getting it yet or are there a lot of people frustrated with playing the CPU?!

Old
11-09-2012, 08:40 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I've been playing hockey video games since N64 days up until NHL 10, after that I took a couple of years off. Then I was hanging at a buddies cabin about a month ago when one of our friends puts NHL 12 into the 360 and the three of us proceed to play head to head for 16hrs straight! I had a blast and remembered why I liked playing so much, so fast forward a couple of weeks I'm at the store and decide to pick up NHL 13. Now...like I said, I've been playing these games for literally 15 years, so while I'm not awesome I am a pretty decent player (I never actually lost during the 16hrs of playing...just sayin). I've certainly never struggled against out of the box AI. However when I play the AI in NHL 13 it's a freaking nightmare! Honestly it's not even fun, it just feels like the CPU has access to speed, power, control, etc. that I do not, almost like the game is rigged. I don't want to be "that guy" but man I swear the AI feels cheap beyond comprehension. I don't feel like I get beat because I'm doing something wrong, I feel like I get beat simply because the AI can go freaking Super Saiyan and I cannot!

I noticed a couple of posts complaining about a similar experience but I'm wondering is it just a few of us who for whatever reason are just not getting it yet or are there a lot of people frustrated with playing the CPU?!
No there are definitely some cheap tricks the CPU can do (like taking the puck from you by doing absolutely nothing..no poke check, stick lift, etc., hit you from an awkward position with no momentum whatsoever and send you flying...) Try fiddling with the sliders some. It can make a big difference.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:24 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
No there are definitely some cheap tricks the CPU can do (like taking the puck from you by doing absolutely nothing..no poke check, stick lift, etc., hit you from an awkward position with no momentum whatsoever and send you flying...) Try fiddling with the sliders some. It can make a big difference.
Haha those are literally my two biggest pet peeves

I swear, the guys at EA have never even played against their own AI, otherwise they wouldnt hav allowed for the stupid hitting engine

Its like the computers hit in such rapid succession, power forwards are useless, because they might be able to survive one hit, but since hte computers hit so fast, they will eventually cough it up

Honestly I dont know why EA cant fix it. It wasnt like that in 12

Old
11-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yes, both of those are driving me crazy! What's really driving me crazy though is that the AI doesn't seem to have to adhere to the new skating engine while obviously the user does. They move more like they're on a soccer field than on an ice surface which is obviously a huge advantage to the CPU.

Closed Thread